Furry news.

Started by Tapewolf, May 19, 2008, 01:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

We've had Robot News, and now in a similar vein, it seems that
animal-human hybrid embryos will be allowed in the UK.

While calling this 'furry news' is a bit of a stretch, I felt it had to be done.  Sorry.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gareeku

Just because the embryos are 0.01% animal doesn't make it furry IMO. :P

But yeah. Not quite sure what to make of this. On the one hand it brings some form of hope to people who are suffering with different diseases. On the other hand I find it quite wrong.

Raffe

Heh...maybe there'd be a 'whoopsy-switchy' and the embryo would be put in someone expecting a normal embryo. I wonder how much one would notice? Would the "hybrid" have any different features?
Hooray ellipsis!

Joe3210

This is one more step towards Bagi.

Sexy, Sexy Bagi. :ipod :B
"You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!"

lawl

Alondro

Didn't we have a thread on this rather recently?  At least in the past year?

Anyway, they're cellular hybrids, but barely genetic.  For a true hybrid, you'd need to find a way to actually recombine the chromosomal DNA and still end up with a viable lifeform.  That's very tricky given the degree to which mammalian chromosomes from different species have different genetic compositions.  You need all the genes, but have to make sure you don't get duplicates of some, and you have to be sure that the gene products are still able to intereact properly in the signaling pathways/enzymes/receptor binding sites of their normal functional activity.

For instance, the reason many drug trials work so well in animal models but fail in humans is because the shapes and binding affinity of the proteins the drug acts upon are different between species, even when the protein does the same thing.  The lack of complete sequence homology of the proteins would likely doom most attempts at hybrids to short, sickly lives even if the entire complement of genes managed to be properly included.
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Victoire Épique

:U
Church vs. British Govt, go! :eager

Valynth

I thought Henry VIII already settled that....
*wonders what the new church will be called*
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

ShadesFox

I'm pretty sure it was posted about fairly recently.  I'm also pretty sure that what they are actually doing is that, due to a shortage of human female eggs they had to develop techniques to strip out the genetic material out of an animal egg and shove human chromosomes in it.  I forget where the mitochondria come from.
The All Purpose Fox

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on May 19, 2008, 06:34:09 PM
Fairly recently, yes.  But it has become topical again.

And no, I didn't think I'd have to mention that they are not trying to create full-fledged lifeforms...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

Someone will eventually try to create adult hybrids.

I suspect China.

Then they'll eat it as a delicacy in the Cantonese region.   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Victoire Épique

Quote from: Alondro on May 20, 2008, 10:03:53 AM

I suspect China.

Yum, I simply love canine anthros cooked to perfection with a touch of wine.

...But when does the canine end and human begin? :U

Brunhidden

i would be more worried about the tiger testicle soup
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Raffe

I suspect China.

Nah, they'd make em into slaves. any resulting children would be a delicacy though. (not cannibalism if its 1/4 animal, right?, though some might like cannibalism :eager) Wouldn't you like your own furry slave? What race would you choose? Personally, I'd take a wolf/dog, maybe a fox. (Mike or Zen/Natani from Twokinds)
Hooray ellipsis!

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Deebs' servant on May 20, 2008, 07:49:01 PM

I suspect China.

Nah, they'd make em into slaves. any resulting children would be a delicacy though. (not cannibalism if its 1/4 animal, right?, though some might like cannibalism :eager) Wouldn't you like your own furry slave? What race would you choose? Personally, I'd take a wolf/dog, maybe a fox. (Mike or Zen/Natani from Twokinds)
Just watch out for the furries or peta trying to burn your house down... I don't think they would like it that much, especially if the hybrids were intelligent.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Raffe

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on May 20, 2008, 09:13:03 PMJust watch out for the furries or peta trying to burn your house down... I don't think they would like it that much, especially if the hybrids were intelligent.

-RobbieThe1st

...but the furries would be the ones with the furslaves....
And as long as they're taken care of PETA shouldn't have a problem.
And the government might like em as super-soldiers
Hooray ellipsis!

Valynth

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on May 20, 2008, 09:13:03 PM
Just watch out for the furries or peta trying to burn your house down... I don't think they would like it that much, especially if the hybrids were intelligent.

-RobbieThe1st

No, no, peta doesn't care about intelligent life.  Hence why they want to destroy humanity in favor of animals, because animals never ever eat each other, only intelligent organisms do that.

At least that's what they tell themselves while killing off more animals that any self-repecting butcher.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Valynth on May 20, 2008, 11:03:28 PM
Quote from: RobbieThe1st on May 20, 2008, 09:13:03 PM

-RobbieThe1st

No, no, peta doesn't care about intelligent life.  Hence why they want to destroy humanity in favor of animals, because animals never ever eat each other, only intelligent organisms do that.

At least that's what they tell themselves while killing off more animals that any self-repecting butcher.
No - but, from what I can tell, they want all animals to be 'put back in the wild and free'(even if it would kill the animal) or dead, and as such would cause trouble, if for different reasons than the furries. The furries would really complain if the hybrid was intelligent, and peta would want them either released into the wild, or killed off(being an aberration)
I should have clarified that.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

techmaster-glitch

If they are sentient and intelligent, the the only solution that (really would) make everyone happy is to simply ask the hybrids what they want. If they are content with being 'slaves', then no one else has any reason to complain on their behalf. If they want the rights the rest of us enjoy, then by all means, give it to 'em.

If they are unintelligent, then so long as they are cared for properly, there isn't much proplem in keeping them as pets, I guess.

Or am I taking this all too seriously? :B

shadowterm

Quote from: Alondro on May 19, 2008, 06:34:09 PM

Anyway, they're cellular hybrids, but barely genetic.  For a true hybrid, you'd need to find a way to actually recombine the chromosomal DNA and still end up with a viable lifeform.  That's very tricky given the degree to which mammalian chromosomes from different species have different genetic compositions.  You need all the genes, but have to make sure you don't get duplicates of some, and you have to be sure that the gene products are still able to intereact properly in the signaling pathways/enzymes/receptor binding sites of their normal functional activity.

For instance, the reason many drug trials work so well in animal models but fail in humans is because the shapes and binding affinity of the proteins the drug acts upon are different between species, even when the protein does the same thing.  The lack of complete sequence homology of the proteins would likely doom most attempts at hybrids to short, sickly lives even if the entire complement of genes managed to be properly included.

Agreed, Genetic material can be added using a virus, but as stated, removal of repetitive genes and all the like would be ineffective. Also, you mentioned that animal testing often yeilds results that don't match humans. while this is true, failure rate is shrinking due to recording of how the chemicals will have to be changed in transmission due to tests made previously. this is why communication and documentation are great to science and... and... this has nothing to do with the article does it? :B

ranting aside, I'm amazed that someone stood up to the churches and WON. hope! :)
/)//w//(\

Valynth

Quote from: shadowterm on May 25, 2008, 02:34:47 AM
ranting aside, I'm amazed that someone stood up to the churches and WON. hope! :)

I think that's becoming rather common.  It's gone from a Badge-like status to an ancestral fruitcake status.  Everyone's getting tired of parading it around.

shadowterm

Quote from: Valynth on May 25, 2008, 02:39:42 AM

I think that's becoming rather common.  It's gone from a Badge-like status to an ancestral fruitcake status.  Everyone's getting tired of parading it around.

parading what around?
/)//w//(\

Turnsky

I suspect China.

either that or mass-produced workforce.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Valynth

Quote from: shadowterm on May 25, 2008, 02:45:26 AM

parading what around?

The fact that they stood up to the church and won.  Seriously, it's hardly ever mentioned anymore because it happens so frequently.

shadowterm

Quote from: Valynth on May 25, 2008, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: shadowterm on May 25, 2008, 02:45:26 AM

parading what around?

The fact that they stood up to the church and won.  Seriously, it's hardly ever mentioned anymore because it happens so frequently.
so sue me. I guess I'm biased though, I mostly here about when they take a poll on how many people believe in evolution in the U.S and the answer is below 75% (Not verified, not going to be verified, so don't post with a correction, ESPECIALLY if your just going to ridicule me.)
/)//w//(\

bill

Woah posting "Don't correct me" is a better debate strategy than I would have thought

Zina

I'm pretty sure 100% of the population agree that I am right all the time. These stats are not accurate but you should not correct me.

shadowterm

And you know what? Not going to correct you. I have better things to do with my time than make you feel like an idiot. -_-

mental note to self: do NOT get involved in another debate. EVER
/)//w//(\

bill

Zina

Oh no, I have been told. :C

PS. I think my post was a little over your head. Try harder to understand words, ok?

Valynth

Quote from: shadowterm on May 25, 2008, 11:33:27 PM
Quote from: Valynth on May 25, 2008, 08:32:34 PM
so sue me. I guess I'm biased though, I mostly here about when they take a poll on how many people believe in evolution in the U.S and the answer is below 75% (Not verified, not going to be verified, so don't post with a correction, ESPECIALLY if your just going to ridicule me.)

Okay...  First of all, wrong thread for "evolution discussion."  This is more or less about man manipulating man's DNA structure.

Secondly, about the ONLY damn thing Americans can agree on with greater than 75% acceptance is that our current leader is an idiot.

Thirdly, you're not a mod, so don't think YOU can tell me what I can/cannot say involving your feelings.  Odds are, you're just ENSURING that I'll ridcule you.

So here's your moment of ass-handing you little troll:

Americans who believe that humans have always existed as they are never gets above 47%.  Typically they're the minority in this little farce of yours.

Oh wait that's only one study, my bad, here's another.

This one shows that British are also having a bit of a problem meeting your standards.

If that's not enough, how about we have a look at the Supreme court rulings in the Dover debacle.

Lets see, since evolution is about the only thing we actually allow in the science class to teach about the developement of pre-historic man, I guess we really don't try to accept scientific theories when they conflict with religion.

\the troll is weak with this one.