3 (33.3%)
Llearch
0 (0%)
Je Saist
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: June 01, 2008, 03:48:43 PM

Tapewolf

When a role comes up in the Radio Project, it generally either has just one taker or lots.  In the latter case, we try to settle this with a vote.

For the next two weeks we will be trying to decide on a voice for Albanion.   In the current test recording for 805 he is played by me as a stopgap measure, so to set the scene, here is the original recording:

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/dmfa_805_3.wav.mp3

When we have officially decided on a replacement, their voice will be given similar processing.
Now, the candidates.  Not all of these are the finest quality of recording.  What we are looking for is the best voice to fit his character.
The poll will run for 14 days after which a winner will be chosen.  Hopefully.  In the event of a tie, I will cry and probably pick one at random.

The MP3 recordings are taken from the 805 strip except for GT's which is strip 800:

Gabriel's Thoughts
Sofox
Tapewolf (Also playing Merlitz, Dark Pegasus)
Tezkat  (Currently playing Jyrras, Dr. Ink) - (This contains 800-805)
llearch
saist

Note that I personally don't like my own recording - IMHO it sounds too much like Merlitz.  Rather than hold a poll to determine whether it should be included in the poll, I have included it for completeness.  That there were only three other recordings nominated (apart from Cameron who sadly bowed out for time constraints) may have had something to do with this decision.

I don't believe I ever got llearch's entry - if it suddenly turns up, I'll add it to the poll and enable the 'change your vote' option.  Saist and llearch have been added to the poll.

May the best man win.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

No, I hadn't generated an entry because I got busy.

I can make one now, if you like. Strip 804-805 or so? Or that whole segment of Albanion from meeting Jy-baby to the cookie?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 18, 2008, 04:29:52 PM
No, I hadn't generated an entry because I got busy.
I can make one now, if you like. Strip 804-805 or so? Or that whole segment of Albanion from meeting Jy-baby to the cookie?

For this, 804-805 would be best.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Would you like it straight, or slowed down some?

I'm presuming mp3 format...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 18, 2008, 05:16:21 PM
Would you like it straight, or slowed down some?  I'm presuming mp3 format...

Straight, MP3.

Saist

llearch n'n'daCorna

As you will.

http://llearch.net/radio/recordings/llearch_Albanion_804-5.mp3

As usual, there's a .wav in bz2 next to it. And yes, I think it'd be a lot better with some digital magic afterwards, but that's a whole other story...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Saist on May 18, 2008, 05:28:13 PM
don't suppose you'd take it in Ogg Vorbis : http://www.filecloud.com/files/file.php?user_file_id=716121
I take it you're nominating yourself?
Well, I'd have to convert it since it's up to the individual voters whether they are able to play back ogg format or not...

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 18, 2008, 05:34:26 PM
And yes, I think it'd be a lot better with some digital magic afterwards, but that's a whole other story...
Actually, most of the magic in that episode wasn't digital...

Saist

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 18, 2008, 05:34:41 PM
Quote from: Saist on May 18, 2008, 05:28:13 PM
don't suppose you'd take it in Ogg Vorbis : http://www.filecloud.com/files/file.php?user_file_id=716121
I take it you're nominating yourself?
Well, I'd have to convert it since it's up to the individual voters whether they are able to play back ogg format or not...

I left the files in an average 400kbps through K3B from the raw format so if they had to be converted, quality shouldn't have been lost.

And yes. I'm tossing myself into the prospective of voicing Albanion.

(and if you really want to know why there are 5 test samples, I wound up having to use Windows to record since my only system with a Mic uses an Intel HDA chipset... not exactly Linux friendly).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Saist on May 18, 2008, 05:37:28 PM
I left the files in an average 400kbps through K3B from the raw format so if they had to be converted, quality shouldn't have been lost.
Well, if it's anything like mine, the HDA will have eaten all the quality :B

Well, common sense says no-one is going to be arsed to listen to an 11MB download so I'll have to convert it anyway.  Assuming I manage to get it off that weird site...

Saist

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 18, 2008, 05:44:48 PM
Quote from: Saist on May 18, 2008, 05:37:28 PM
Well, if it's anything like mine, the HDA will have eaten all the quality :B

Well, common sense says no-one is going to be arsed to listen to an 11MB download so I'll have to convert it anyway.  Assuming I manage to get it off that weird site...

hey, only place I had to put something with 5 audio files inside. It's standard .zip file.  I can do another sample on something other than HDA, but I'm stuck waiting for some processes to go through before I can dismantle the computer and put a different sound card in...

(word of advice, I love Thermaltake's Bach Media cases... I don't love the fact that the back lip overhang prevents the mic slot from being accessible on my Via Envy cards)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Saist on May 18, 2008, 05:47:58 PM
hey, only place I had to put something with 5 audio files inside. It's standard .zip file.  I can do another sample on something other than HDA, but I'm stuck waiting for some processes to go through before I can dismantle the computer and put a different sound card in...
Okay, you're up.  I used take 2.  As I told Sofox, we've standardised on a soft 'G' for Gianna, but no matter...

James StarRunner

Oh, so torn right now between Saist and Tez. As much as I love Tez's take on Albanion, I still hear bits of his other characters. I must have compared all six entries half a dozen times over as each one had things I liked. But methinks my vote goes to the last minute Saist. :P

I'd like everyone to get a part too, we need to find more roles for these guys.

Saist

I posted a singular test file, this one with a soft g sound : http://www.filecloud.com/files/file.php?user_file_id=716195

Part of me things I've being way to over the top on the voice when I listen to it... I dunno.

also been working on making a good fluffy voice... and I think I have a possible one with my own voice sped to 1.45x ... I just can't figure out how to get Audacity to EXPORT the clip at the increased rate...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Saist on May 19, 2008, 12:07:12 AM
also been working on making a good fluffy voice... and I think I have a possible one with my own voice sped to 1.45x ... I just can't figure out how to get Audacity to EXPORT the clip at the increased rate...

Were you just tweaking the sample rate?  Better to use Effects -> Change Speed

Tezkat

Wooo... we've reached another three-way tie. :animesweat

In case any of you were wondering why there's so much annoying dead air in my audition file... I'd already sequenced it for the mix with Jyrras.

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 19, 2008, 04:03:45 AM
Quote from: Saist on May 19, 2008, 12:07:12 AM

Were you just tweaking the sample rate?  Better to use Effects -> Change Speed

Actually... if the ultimate goal is raising pitch, there's also Effect -> Change Pitch. Changing the speed usually produces less processing artifacts, but modifying the pitch alone is often preferable if it preserves other aspects of the pacing and performance.

Messing with the sample rate itself is usally not a good idea, since it will have to be converted back to 44.1KHz or whatever for the final mix anyway.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

llearch n'n'daCorna

I -was- planning on doing another take. I should get that sorted...

Saist

QuoteI'd already sequenced it for the mix with Jyrras.

reading 804 and 805, I don't think adding "dead air" for Jyrras is the intent of the comics dialog. Rather, between the panel construction and ballon placement, I think the comic indicates that Jyrras is "whimpering" his lines as Albanion just slams right over them. Unless I misguess the way Amber intended the comic to be read, the radio effect should be of Albanion monologuing in a commanding, if not crazed voice, over the lower volume whimpers from Jyrras.

Tezkat

Um... if you listen to the mixed clip with both characters (a few posted above), that's exactly what I did for Jyrras. I was referring to the fact that there were long periods of silence in my solo Albanion clip, even right at the beginning (where Jyrras would be talking/screaming), which doesn't exactly make a good impression at an audition. :animesweat
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...