Sex questions, Six answers, lots -o- deliberation

Started by stiletto, June 08, 2008, 11:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiletto

This week will be a series of 6 simpler strips where the questions from earlier are answered by the various members of the show.

All in character of course, it is required by their contract.

Discuss them as you will.

Reese Tora

Quote from: stiletto on June 08, 2008, 11:07:21 PM

I hope you're commited to truth in advertising. ;)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

heh.

Giant wings and an ability to control people doesn't make you better.

Ethical behaviour makes you better, and I haven't seen any of that out of any of the Celeste I've seen...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

stiletto

Quote from: Reese Tora on June 08, 2008, 11:31:13 PM
Quote from: stiletto on June 08, 2008, 11:07:21 PM

I hope you're commited to truth in advertising. ;)

There may be more truth to that statement then you think :P

And they don't really have the ability to control per say, just heavily suggest and influence on a subconscious level.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: stiletto on June 09, 2008, 10:14:04 AM
And they don't really have the ability to control per say, just heavily suggest and influence on a subconscious level.

If you're not aware you're having things suggested to you, how are you going to control those suggestions?

If you're aware of it, it's a lot harder to suggest things to you - take White Noise, for example. If you're totally unaware that the Celeste can make you subconsciously want an ice-cream, say, you're a lot more susceptible to control.

As in all things, it's a matter of degree. And I haven't seen the Celeste, as a group, doing anything to suggest that they might have some degree of self-control. If they can't control themselves, why should they control anyone else?

stiletto

White Noise is a different case, he has a very high Light Child resistance to it.

Also, you can be aware of it and still be susceptible, as it's happening at a deeper level in your mind. For example, if you have a lot of confidence in something, a Celeste can kind of zap that away, and while you may be aware of what they're doing your actions still become more difficult because they're creating a mental anchor so to say. If you're dead set on an action then a Celeste can't really influence you otherwise (through suggestion at least), as they work more on enforcing uncertainty that is in their favor.

As for your comment about self control... while humorous, it rings true, but almost in the opposite way you intended. Those without self control do not have the personal control to limit themselves from controlling others. And I don't think it's a lack of self control, just a lot of ego. If you feel better and more powerful then someone and have the innate ability to suggest them to do things, then it's less in regards to self control and more along the lines of flexing your muscles because you think you're better.

Celeste are pretty much a kind of 'born bully,' with notable exceptions.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: stiletto on June 09, 2008, 01:52:34 PM
*Stuff Stiletto knows too much about*

More or less. As I'll likely reveal whenever it's convenient, "Resistance" actually means you "hear" the subtext of whatever the Celeste is saying, and thus can resist it just like you would any normal verbal command.

... And yes, as this implies, any species known for exceptional hearing (Talmi, Kaydin, Anyr) automatically has a little Resistance. Most of them don't bother to measure / report on it unless they live in an area where such things are tested for routinely, hence why it doesn't show up in Slick's records. (Besides, given how closely he used to work with Celeste, he can't have been too resistant...)

stiletto

Today's is so totally my corny joke that I can't believe she used.

Right on.

Don't forget to check these things every day!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah.

So we can blame _you_ for that? Right you are...

Brunhidden

reminds me much of what terry pratchett said about emperors- every child goes through a stage of life where they think its fun to pull the wings off flies, but with an emperor nobody is able to tell them thats wrong, so they grow up to be someone who thinks its great fun to order people to eat their own lips.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Brunhidden

as to the new comic- you could always call it 'xenophillic' instead, which is technically true if its aliens
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.