07/04/08 [Intro #1]

Started by Destina Faroda, April 07, 2008, 03:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destina Faroda

Let me just say this, this is something that is not only overdue, but something that you are tackling very well through the comic format.

One of the biggest problems with most comics is that they assume people have knowledge of the subject matter that the comic is based on.  While many artists bridge this gap through supplemental material, few actually take the time to make actual comics explaining the real basics.  I don't mean how the universe works, cast ages, etc.  I mean the simple things like the conventions, references, and the general premises that are assumed but never spelled outright.

Indeed, I was just thinking the other day that CVRPG is great, but the biggest problem is that while its humor is accessible enough to people who have even the remotest familiarity with either RPGs or Castlevania, there are plenty of people who have never played either...or any video games at all.  Despite the early protests that there isn't enough Castlevania in it, there are enough elements and jokes that would confuse people.

So, this was not only needed, but the way you're addressing it is what I like most.  Keep it up!
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

Well, the first 10 did most of the material I felt was necessary. However, if others can suggest more things that need some explaining, I'm more than happy to add some more comics to this. The the introduction is a work in progress. I certainly won't say "this chapter is done and I won't add more".

I'm glad you liked it.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Destina Faroda

I hope this isn't considered post necromancy, but I do have a suggestion for future.

I'd like there to be an explanation, in an intro comic, of what the damages and statuses mean and a level of self-awareness the characters have.  I also think that some bare bones explanation of the rules of the RPG instead of the storyline workings of the universe, especially as it seems to me that there's been an increasing sense that we're in a game versus the entirety of Game One and Year One.
Sig coming...whenever...

Darkmoon

I think that's fair. I do tend to use a fair bit of RPG-styled sequences and events.

FYI, I always felt that the comic was a game. I'd be the game I'd make... if I could do things like code game engines... or sprite. ;)
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...