Violent video games are prefured over a gay kiss

Started by thegayhare, April 15, 2008, 09:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegayhare

Yep,  well so says a survey on a video game site for parents

well truthfully the survey says two men kissing are  some one one dregree worse  then a graphicly severed head

and I'll be the first to admit this survey is severely limited but It's just a sad thing to me

http://news.filefront.com/survey-says-parents-prefer-violence-to-sex-and-gay-kissing-in-video-games/

Zedd

Brunhidden

and someday a poll/survey will find out that parents who get polled would prefer their child never be exposed to anything more controversial then bob the builder until age forty.

something tells me they always survey the most bigoted or sheltered parents they can find, and discard any replies that sound intelligent.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Valynth

It should also be noted that a man and a woman having sex was worse than men kissing.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Reese Tora

It should be noted that those who feel strongly about a subject are more likley to respond.  Someone who doesn't mind or doesn't care about men kissing would be less likely to respond than someone who is strongly homophobic, say. 

Then, too, since there are four possibilities, it could be that many would have ranked kissing(a fairly inocuous act) as the thing they found least offensive.

The sad fact is that sex is the forefront thing in most americans' minds, and is also the most feared thing. (that last, maybe, a victorian hold-over)

The survey was strongly tilted towards what concerned parents in the US are thinking, and not a representitive sample, and it's notable that a norwegan site got widly different results from the same survey.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Brunhidden

valid point- its kind of a loaded poll

its kind of like if you were in court and the lawyer asked whcih describes you better- problem drinker or Australian haberdasher

Alondro

Sex is BAD!!  We should all be sterilized and have the amygdalas removed from our brains so we can never EVER think about sex!! 

IT IS TEH DEVIL'S WORK!!!   >:O
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

rabid_fox

Homosexuality is unnatural and a moral evil. Violence is natural and the supreme authority. Of course some bumbagging is worse than decapitation.

Oh dear.

Reese Tora

Quote from: rabid_fox on April 18, 2008, 06:43:21 PM

Homosexuality is unnatural and a moral evil. Violence is natural and the supreme authority. Of course some bumbagging is worse than decapitation.

Well, there's nothing more natural than the act of consensual sexual intercourse between a man and a woman for the purposes of procreation.  Riddle me this, batman: if an act is more objectionable the less natural it is, how is the most natural act in the list the most objectionable?

(This post is an abomination unto Nuggan.)

Nelix

Doesn't seem that bad, in the sense that 1% more think striaght sex is objectionable.

thegayhare

the thing that strikes me about this is what alot of people are seeming to miss

Yes Straight sex got the most votes by far. 

But a two men kissing was deemed more offensive then a severed human head.

KISSING... not gay sex, gay affection was deemed as more offensive then bodily mutilation

rabid_fox

To be honest though, I prefer violence to sex in my video games too. Massively, in fact. To be honest, I don't want sex anywhere in my video games, apart from a few saucy innuendos now and then. There's really no 'Big Fuss' here given the context unless you go looking for the 'Big Fuss' to kick up.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on April 20, 2008, 08:00:16 AM
To be honest though, I prefer violence to sex in my video games too. Massively, in fact. To be honest, I don't want sex anywhere in my video games, apart from a few saucy innuendos now and then. There's really no 'Big Fuss' here given the context unless you go looking for the 'Big Fuss' to kick up.

I agree for the most part, with the proviso of the Ultima series.

It was kind of fun to mess around with the wenches in Ultima 6 and especially 7 (the reaction if you went for a homosexual pairing was quite amusing).  If course, this was all done by narration in the dialogue, and it was something that only happened if you forced it to.

In U7SI, there was a plot point where the Avatar is seduced by the chief Mage's wife.  (Yes, even if you had a female character).  That was more graphical and less tasteful but IIRC you still had the choice as to whether to go for it or not, while the rest of the party waited outside.
It did make me cringe a little - the most fun I had was by misusing the spells so that the Avatar was transformed into a snake while she was seducing him, or filling the room with wolves while the rest of the party came in to watch them have at it.

http://it-he.org/si/gosh.gif  (PG-14, may not be quite SFW)
http://it-he.org/si/what.gif  (Probably not SFW)

However, when they did the godawful Raven/Avatar thing in U9 it was enough to convert me to your viewpoint absolutely.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Reese Tora

daaAAym... for an avatar of virtue, he sure does get it on, huh?
(Ultima 9 just had problems anyway, though it wasn't too bad for a first attempt at 3d)

thegayhare

Quote from: rabid_fox on April 20, 2008, 08:00:16 AM

And to be honest your still missing the point

This was a survey geared towards parents.

With all the bitching and moaning by parental groups about violent video games turning little billy into a gun totting killer (which is bullshit)  They would still rather he played a video game that let him run around wich a chainsaw lopping off innocent bystanders limbs then have him play a game where two male characters kiss. 

Again I said Kiss not Fuck.  Kissing, showing affection, to further the story or plot.

Reese Tora

THG, I can see your concern, but I have my doubts about how accurate the poll is.  It was designed for concerned parents, yes.  It was placed on a site meant for parents to find out about games.

It was responded to be the people who visit the site, probably by people who visit regularly, and most likely by those who had a strong feeling about one specific aspect.

The poll has who knows how high a margin of error, and certainly doesn't accurately reflect the views of any real demographic.  I'd think otherwise if the poll asked those who responded to rate on a scale each item's offensiveness, or to rank them in comparison to each other.

Kiss has a certain mental image to most people, which is somewhat sexual in nature, and certainly the culture of some countries is such that the expression of tender or caring emotions by men is frowned upon (excepting that it's emotion shown towards a parent from a child, a son of any age to a mother, and possibly a brother to a sister, if presented in a brotherly fashion, of course)
I strongly doubt that most of the respondants who chose the gay kiss were picturing a friendly kiss on the cheek or forehead, but rather imagined something much more impassioned.

Brunhidden

just for shits and giggles i would gladly give hare, zedd, and any other assorted men a big hug and kiss, just to see the reactions i got.

Caswin

Quote from: thegayhare on April 23, 2008, 06:23:47 PMAnd to be honest your still missing the point

This was a survey geared towards parents.

With all the bitching and moaning by parental groups about violent video games turning little billy into a gun totting killer (which is bullshit)  They would still rather he played a video game that let him run around wich a chainsaw lopping off innocent bystanders limbs then have him play a game where two male characters kiss.
Uh... it didn't say that.  The poll referred to the appearance of a severed head, not putting the player in the role of severing people's heads; I expect that if that had been the case, the results would have been markedly different.

Also, I think parental groups are less concerned about video games turning little Billy into a murdering gunman than encouraging violence in general, which is a legitimate concern.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.