New oldest tree!

Started by Alondro, April 11, 2008, 06:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Hmmm... that's pretty old!

Methuselah got beat!

Hmmm... the trees grow for so long.  How do they survive?  They have the key to immortality!  They're the final ingredient in the Philosopher's Stone!  At last!  At long last!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Arcalane

Have fun spending most of your life as a 1/2 meter tall bush. :3

Valynth

Quote from: Arcalane on April 11, 2008, 08:38:14 PM
Have fun spending most of your life as a 1/2 meter tall bush. :3

Height doesn't matter when you controll the world's most powerful armed forces/nukes.

*is smote for that cheap shot*
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Kenji

Ironically, I bet someone will now make it an effort to cut those down, having never had an urge to do it before.

Fuyudenki

This just goes to further my theory that trees are immune to growing old.  Has there ever been a record of a tree that died of "old age?"

Makes sense, though.  "Old age" when referring to causes of death generally means that the creature's organs started working wrong, and their body tore itself apart.

From this, I submit the human body was designed to live forever.  Design flaws added since then have reduced our lifespans to what they are now.(and because of where the damage shows up, we can only extend our lifespans by so much.)

Alondro

*Charles is already creating a new body that will live forever!*  It's composed entirely of cancer!   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Alondro on April 12, 2008, 09:19:54 PM
*Charles is already creating a new body that will live forever!*  It's composed entirely of cancer!   :B
So now you're a Sixth House Corprus cultist? (I've been rediscovering this game...soooooo adictive :<)

rabid_fox

They should cut down the previous title holder to show it who's boss.

Oh dear.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Alondro on April 12, 2008, 09:19:54 PM

I'd read about geneticists trying to figure out how to do that.  How's progress going?

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 12, 2008, 09:53:15 PM
So now you're a Sixth House Corprus cultist? (I've been rediscovering this game...soooooo adictive :<)
Of course!  Charline is a Khajiit... that explains everything.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 14, 2008, 11:35:26 AM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on April 12, 2008, 09:53:15 PM

*Charles is confused*  Whos in the what now?   :confused

*Charles also denies that scientists are working on anything...*  There is no spoon.   :shifty

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on April 14, 2008, 02:32:46 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on April 14, 2008, 11:35:26 AM

*Charles is confused*  Whos in the what now?   :confused

Not a particularly flattering likeness, I suppose:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/games/charline.png

Alondro

That looks more like one of the Cheetah People!  If Charline finds out yer comparing her to a cheetah, a species she sees as inferior... I'd hate to see what happens!  It wouldn't be pretty.   :P

You're lucky she can't come to this part of the forum.   ;)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on April 14, 2008, 05:34:43 PM
That looks more like one of the Cheetah People!  If Charline finds out yer comparing her to a cheetah, a species she sees as inferior... I'd hate to see what happens!  It wouldn't be pretty.   :P
You're lucky she can't come to this part of the forum.   ;)
Isn't she a shapeshifter?

But yeah, there isn't a decent lioness-like face.  With the male set you can add something like a lion's mane, but the default female ones leave a bit to be desired.

One of the plot-points in the game is that you contract a particularly nasty disease, which when neutralised has the side-effect of making you immortal, which is what Tech was referring to.

Now I suppose we'd better get back to discussing the tree...

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 14, 2008, 05:40:30 PM
One of the plot-points in the game is that you contract a particularly nasty disease, which when neutralised has the side-effect of making you immortal, which is what Tech was referring to.
Actually, I was referring to something that I read about the Sixth House and the Corprus disease (can't remember if it was in-game or on a wiki...), but, of course the Sixths House thinks that Corprus is a divine disease crated by Dagoth Ur. That's well-known. Corprus is a disease that causes its victims to gain tough, cancer-like growths that actually make them tougher and stronger, but warp their mind. That's well known also. What I remember reading is that once a Sixth House cultist is infected with Corprus, they wait until some growths come in, strip off the Corprus flesh and eat it, and when their removed flesh grows back, it is even more Corprus than before, further increasing their strength and resilience, until their entire bodies have been replaced with Corprusmeat.
   Hence a "body made of cancer".

But yes, getting back to the tree. I do find it facinating that there are quite a few organisms on this planet that can outlast entire human ages and eras.