they have medicine for that now!?

Started by blood butterfly, April 01, 2008, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reese Tora

A follow up, here's two very good explanations on the premises behind Homeopathy and how it is practiced.

From a BBC pecial that apears to be well researched(part 1 of 5, but this contains the basics):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozfio_e1Xj0

Also, a good explanation with a description of the four laws of homeopathy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWE1tH93G9U
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Zorro

Sounds EXACTLY like Sympathetic Magic.

yakanaj

Quote from: Jack McSlay on April 01, 2008, 05:18:07 PM
I only take medicine when I'm sick enough so I can barely do anything.

I don't even remember the last time I took something for a simple pain relief. I'm a tough bastard... I like it better to recover on my on instead of sticking chemicals on my on body for anything

I'm about the same way. I do take meds daily for other reasons  but I don't like to take meds because I have a headache . I usually goes away after a good night sleep.:ipod

Alondro

Hey Doc!  When I shake my head, it hurts!

*Doc*  Then don't shake your head. 

xD
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

gh0st

Quote from: Alondro on April 22, 2008, 11:24:38 AM

xD

made my day!

acording to the fda natural medicines like vinegar and calcium can't be sold as a drug because it is not patentable, therefore it cannot be a drug and is then a hoax. even though it isn't. for instance a couple had apparently found ancient recipe to make diet bread that worked but because it couldn't be patented they were shut down.

i love the fact that people are trying to fight most serious diseases, i love the fact that most of these people are winning, i just hate it when the actual cure can't be used because the government needs to make it's money.

Thora

A few years ago (less than 10), some drug company came up with a flu medicine that was supposed to help prevent the flu... The problem? The drug had the EXACT symptoms as the FLU!!  Now, can anyone tell me why someone in their right mind would want to take a drug that would give you the same symptoms as the virus you are taking the drug for??!! Yeah, that's really effective...  :rolleyes

Speaking of drugs - how about all of the over-medicated kids because of ADD/ADHD.  The teachers don't want to deal with them.  Maybe the real reason isn't the fact they have some kind of disorder, maybe they are too smart & are bored...  Or maybe they can't stand sitting in their desk... People only want a quick fix, not caring about the long term affects.

One more thing I want to add, that I'm proud of myself for not doing, are the women in labor who insist on having an Epidural.  These women are the women who complain about others not experiencing "natural child birth", yet get drugs so they can't feel a thing.  That's NOT natural child birth.  If you can't feel anything below your waist, it's not natural anymore...  I only had something equivalent to Tylenol, to let me get an hour or so of rest.  The second dose didn't even work.  I felt everything.  I personally thought it wasn't that bad.  **TMI moment** I think constipation is FAR worse than giving birth to a child - atleast the birth canal stretches!!  I plan on not having anything stronger than Tylenol for the birth of Mia - just like I did for Eowyn.

There's also sooo many ads on the TV for drugs, the commercials don't even tell you what the drug is for - just says "ask your doctor about *blank* drug"  *shakes head*

Reese Tora

Quote from: gh0st on April 27, 2008, 01:08:17 AM
Quote from: Alondro on April 22, 2008, 11:24:38 AM

xD

made my day!

acording to the fda natural medicines like vinegar and calcium can't be sold as a drug because it is not patentable, therefore it cannot be a drug and is then a hoax. even though it isn't. for instance a couple had apparently found ancient recipe to make diet bread that worked but because it couldn't be patented they were shut down.

i love the fact that people are trying to fight most serious diseases, i love the fact that most of these people are winning, i just hate it when the actual cure can't be used because the government needs to make it's money.

Of course, thanks to the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994, anything, effective or not, dangerous or not, can but put on the market as a 'supplement' and nothing can be done until people start dying or complaining.

So far as Vinegar or Calcium being any sort of natural cure, I wouldn't trust anything that isn't written up in a medical journal.  Lots of people write books saying this or that and "things the governemtn doesn't want you to know", but all too often the author is doing no research, just making stuff up or parroting folk lore. Why? because they can sell books, it deosn't ahve to work, it just has to appeal to people who are willing to buy in to silly conspiracy theories.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

gh0st

but I do believe those silly conspiracy theories, why? because as much as i love this government it could always be better, i search them out in hopes of thinking of a way to fix it instead of just tearing the whole thing into the open. sure the fda probably has stuff in our food, sure it might also be making drugs that harm more than they cure, and if you really think about it that isn't much different to the cure alls that went through the 30's. it can be easily fixed with a redraft of a law or an amendment to something, the only problem is nobody wants to do it because it takes too long and costs alot of money, not to mention sets people up to be sued and lose money.

Alondro

Uhm, too much vinegar is actually very bad for you.  It gave my mom a massive uric acid stone called a staghorn calculus which nearly shut down one of her kidneys.

Too much calcium, also bad, especially if you don't have enough vitamin D to trigger normal calcium homeostasis. 

The body can only take so much of these things.

It's like the whole vitamin E thing.  Now a huge study has found that not only does mega-dosing vitamin E seem to do nothing for most people, it may even be harmful!  And that's not the 9000 EUs some people were taking that put them in comas a while back, this was just 400 per day.

You only need about 50 or so a day of vitamin E. 

Now vitamin D is something most people need more of.  Being indoors all the time, especially in winter, drastically lowers the levels to far below physiological norms.  Vitamin pills actually provide far less than what the skin can manufacture in just 15 minutes of exposure to summer sunlight (UV light is crucial to the breaking of one of the bonds in the parent cholesterol molecule to give the vitamin D precursor).
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

gh0st

well everything is bad in large quantities, even water, salt, potassium, etc. but thats not the point, the problem is that people probably aren't getting what they should and they are letting it slowly kill them. we have found a way to get just about everything from meat or a drink containing massive amounts of sugar, but even that in itself is very dangerous, fats and sugars eventually break down into acids, and while they are good for you in small quantities the way that we are using them is very harmful. just recently while taking biology class i learned that the normal persons p.h. is just above one on the p.h. scale, and even the smallest bit more than that and everything is thrown out of homeostasis, and it's easily preventable, simple plant based foods like fruit and vegetables turn into bases. even the naturally acidic oranges and other citric plants turn into bases, the only thing is it's a double edged sword in the sense that if you have too much plants in you and your body ph will fall. thats why vegetarianism is harmful if you don't know how to properly prepare your food, and even then your just going to end up with the exact opposite problems.

in eighth grade, I believe I found my reason to be so concerned about my bodies ph scale, I was homeschooling and using berkley's free podcasts to help with the homeschooling, the days subject was physics. the professor was explaining how cancer is formed. it starts when an atom within your dna strand becomes ionized and deforms the molecule, this then turns the rna out of wack and ultimately turning the cell into a food hungry war monger. but heres the thing that morning when i was learning about that i was also thinking about the zinc and copper in a lemon producing some electricity, then it struck me, the reason why cancer is so rampant is because our ph in our bodies are raising making it easier for the electrons to go and ionize atoms in the dna.

maybe it isn't enough for you but since then I've at least tried to cut back on meat and other fatty foods. not because of weight problems but because i believe it helps to prevent cancer. also i believe that another guy wrote a book on this but i can't seem to find it.

also i hid the actual report on mars!

sources

physics web/podcast:http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details.php?seriesid=1906978515 btw this guy is amazing.

lemon battery:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_battery

wiki on cancer just for the heck of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer