Hypnotist Thief

Started by Tapewolf, March 22, 2008, 06:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

I just spotted this truly bizarre story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7309947.stm

Those who've read my stories may remember Snell, the outlaw incubus who uses his 'Cubi powers to commit acts of burglary and fraud.  If true, this is somewhat similar.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Mmm.

Of course, he has to pick people who are susceptible to it. I wonder how he manages that - I know how your average hypnotist does it, but that involves a room full of people, and getting them all to attempt to fall under his or her spell.

Doing it in a one-to-one situation is fairly fraught, I would have thought. What happens if you hit someone who doesn't trust you worth a damn, and lets you start waffling?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Kenji

"When Lame Superman Villains Become Reality! Film At 11!"

Reese Tora

Just reading the article heading, it's not possible.

You do not lose control when you are in a hypnotic state. 
You cannot be made to do something against your character while hypnotized.

I smell a rat (no offense, any of you rodents out there) and I think that this is a scam and the lady is an accomplice.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on March 22, 2008, 07:38:50 PM
I think that this is a scam and the lady is an accomplice.

That was my initial reaction, except that he's supposedly done this a number of times.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Valynth

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2008, 07:47:20 PM
Quote from: Reese Tora on March 22, 2008, 07:38:50 PM
I think that this is a scam and the lady is an accomplice.

That was my initial reaction, except that he's supposedly done this a number of times.

Different accomplices, same general idea.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Reese Tora

I figure that this thief probalby has a racket going where he finds a teller, meets them, romances them, gets them to become willing accomplices, and pulls the crime.

The teller can't come clean because it could cost them their jobs, thier freedom,a nd he gets away with a good deal of cash (though 800 isn't a lot if your'e not doing this on a ragular basis; if that's his regular take, and all he subsists on, he'd have to do this atleast once a month.)

I expect that, if this goes on, he'll get caught eventually.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Eibborn

I second, third, or whatever the call of 'Fake!' This sort of thing doesn't happen in reality. >:|
/kicks the internet over

Alondro

Quote from: Eibbor_N on March 24, 2008, 12:15:47 AM
I second, third, or whatever the call of 'Fake!' This sort of thing doesn't happen in reality. >:|

I also concur.  Hypnotism does not work like that at all.  Now, if the guy is a telepath with mind-control.... well that's a whole different story then, isn't it!   :boogie
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Valynth

Quote from: Alondro on March 24, 2008, 04:45:09 PM
Quote from: Eibbor_N on March 24, 2008, 12:15:47 AM

I also concur.  Hypnotism does not work like that at all.  Now, if the guy is a telepath with mind-control.... well that's a whole different story then, isn't it!   :boogie

:smrt

It's not the post, it's the concepts therein.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Rakala

That's entirely ridiculous. I agree that they probably were accomplices as the article doesn't list anyother people but females meaning the idea of romancing them is entirely plausible. But in general they are just full of bull.

Alondro

IT WAS ALIEAN MIND KONTROL!!! 

Or this...  :analprobe
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Sofox

I remember reading something similar to this at least a year ago. A man who hypnotised female cashiers so he could take the money from the till uninterrupted. The article I read indicated that cashiers were now being told not to look customers in the eye.