[Art] Cheerleader Ziggy

Started by Ren Gaulen, February 10, 2008, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteFox

Amber's wings have much smaller 'limbs" and big feathers. They're closer to real wings, but even they aren't spot on (the giant fluffy knobs on top throw me off).

My opinion, which I usually keep to myself because I don't want to sound snob, and hesitate to mention even now, is that people should learn how to draw something realistically before they stylize it. Or at least pay close attention to real life examples when developing a style (especially when considering the natural poses of a wing).  Without an understanding of the real thing, a stylization is unconvincing. I'm not one to tell someone how to go about their art, though, and I don't think this is really necessary unless someone is uber-hardcore about their work.

Besides, if people demanded to be perfect and exact about every aspect of their work, no one would ever finish anything.

By the way, I don't think of the fact that you can't see the base of the wing, or that there is only one, a fault. I think it's kind of cool the way it is. Not showing the root makes the coat look better, and doesn't obscure his back. Showing the opposite wing isn't really necessary, and would further crowd the composition.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Jairus

Well, I don't have much to say. I think it looks great, and it's an awesome picture of Ink, though I think a strikethrough on Mercy would be pretty awesome. Or creepy. One of the two. He does look ready to kill someone.

So, he's currently a one-winged angel? Hm...

Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Doctor Ink!
Doctor Ink!

Um, anyway.

Back to wracking my brain over Photoshop.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Fox NaBan on October 11, 2008, 05:34:24 PM
Or at least pay close attention to real life examples when developing a style (especially when considering the natural poses of a wing).
..Only there are no real life examples of humanoid creatures with wings on their backs, so I am deliberately trying to make the wings not look like bird wings. :P

Quote from: Jairus on October 11, 2008, 05:37:06 PM
So, he's currently a one-winged angel? Hm...

Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Estuans interius
ira vehementi
Doctor Ink!
Doctor Ink!

Um, anyway.
Hmm.. And Dan has already become Cloud.. Hmmm...

Let the battle begin! Place your bets, Gentlemen!

Lysander

I really like his coat, from the design to the way it floats in the wind...

I read in a book about various beliefs on angels from multiple religions, and one thing in there was how wings would actually appear on a anthropomorphic form. Turns out if someone six feet tall was to have wings the wingspan would have to be at least 24 ft due to average weight in comparison to wing size. I've always liked wings and stuff, and ever since I read that I've pretty much disregarded anything to do with realism and wings.    :januscat
TytajLucheek

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lysander on October 11, 2008, 06:22:59 PM
The coat!  How could I forget the coat?  Cross, the Big Bad Wolf and so on all have trench-coats because I love the way they flow out behind them as they walk.  Ren comes along and nails it pretty much perfectly, and I don't even comment about it  :<

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 11, 2008, 06:29:38 PM
The coat!  How could I forget the coat?  Cross, the Big Bad Wolf and so on all have trench-coats because I love the way they flow out behind them as they walk.  Ren comes along and nails it pretty much perfectly, and I don't even comment about it  :<
Actually, about a half of my characters wear coats (not necessarily on a regular basis, but still they do). I love coats. For the same reasons, too! :3

WhiteFox

Turns out if someone six feet tall was to have wings the wingspan would have to be at least 24 ft due to average weight in comparison to wing size. I've always liked wings and stuff, and ever since I read that I've pretty much disregarded anything to do with realism and wings.    :januscat

To make things worse, the anatomy of having wings attached to your back would be damn near impossible. Additional layers of trapezus... trapesus... trapeseus... back, deltoid, and pectoral muscles would be required, and I couldn't conceive of how the bones and muscles would all attach.

However, this is fantasy. It's all good. I usually make the limbs the same size of the arms (Hence why I had to spend a month trying to figure out wing bone structure), and the feathers fill out the size nicely.

Tape/Ren: Trench=bad-ass. So it is written.

Ren: No comment on the pic I drew for you?  :<
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Fox NaBan on October 11, 2008, 06:46:39 PM
To make things worse, the anatomy of having wings attached to your back would be damn near impossible. Additional layers of trapezus... trapesus... trapeseus... back, deltoid, and pectoral muscles would be required, and I couldn't conceive of how the bones and muscles would all attach.
Yep. I also thought how to make that work, and failed to find an answer that I would have liked.

Ren: No comment on the pic I drew for you?  :<
Eh? Oh, I didn't get it was for me. :< You got Ren's colouring wrong, and it confused me. Ren has white chest and stomach with only a few black markings (his back, however, is mostly black, but you couldn't know that; that reminds me that I should draw a profile picture of Ren one of these days..). The one in the picture looks kinda like Abel, actually. But, it is really funny. :>

WhiteFox

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 11, 2008, 07:10:47 PM
But, it is really funny. :>

Excellent.

I'm only used to seeing Ren in Body armor, so I did have to guess a little.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... Additional layers of trapezus... trapesus... trapeseus... back, deltoid, and pectoral muscles would be required, and I couldn't conceive of how the bones and muscles would all attach.

"Trapezius." ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 11, 2008, 08:17:59 PM
... Additional layers of trapezus... trapesus... trapeseus... back, deltoid, and pectoral muscles would be required, and I couldn't conceive of how the bones and muscles would all attach.
"Trapezius." ;-]
..I believe it may be the one we were looking for.. :3

WhiteFox

Thanks. You think I'd know that, seeing as how I'm writing an anatomy tutorial.

Ren Gaulen

ARGH this place is dusty! I haven't posted anything here for a while, so to keep my art thread alive I'll post a sketch or something..

Commissar Cross. I felt like posting it now, even though I'll probably have it coloured tomorrow anyway.

No Shonen-Ai. Zig is going to get no shonen-ai this time..

llearch n'n'daCorna

*snerk*

You presume that it's loaded, of course...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 30, 2008, 07:56:55 PM
And loaded with bullets, rather than paintballs or something.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 30, 2008, 07:58:38 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 30, 2008, 07:56:55 PM
And loaded with bullets, rather than paintballs or something.
Well, Zig does not know for sure, and he is not willing to risk. :shifty

ShadesFox

*chews on sketches, much like he chewed on bright moth*
The All Purpose Fox

Ren Gaulen

Mao

Wooo!  Love 'em Ren.  Particularly the Commissar_Cross one.  By chance are you going to go any further with either of those sketches?

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Mowser on October 31, 2008, 07:28:36 AM
Wooo!  Love 'em Ren.  Particularly the Commissar_Cross one.  By chance are you going to go any further with either of those sketches?
I am going to ink them and colour them. Commissar Cross will go first, since I have been "threatening" Tape with this picture for a long time.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 31, 2008, 08:42:23 AM
I am going to ink them and colour them. Commissar Cross will go first, since I have been "threatening" Tape with this picture for a long time.
And drive the mods to distraction with yet another similar-looking avatar...

Mao

Maybe I should do another joke avi, just to add to the similar avi list..... maybe one based on Jokers smear campaign against Harvey Dent... I belive in Jairus maybe?  What was his chars last name again?

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Mowser on October 31, 2008, 08:57:53 AM
Maybe I should do another joke avi, just to add to the similar avi list..... maybe one based on Jokers smear campaign against Harvey Dent... I belive in Jairus maybe?  What was his chars last name again?
Jairus Page. The head of the Page Industries. ..No, wait, he isn't.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 31, 2008, 08:54:34 AM

Similar is ok. They're distinctive enough...

Brunhidden

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 31, 2008, 10:18:02 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on October 31, 2008, 08:54:34 AM

Similar is ok. They're distinctive enough...

not to mention we all have nametags
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Lysander

Commissar Cross looks pretty dang awesome. Great outfit.

No Shonen-Ai makes me laugh. If I had guys my age hit on me it probably wouldn't be so weird for me, but the last guy to do so was over 30 years older than me.   :januscat
TytajLucheek

Ren Gaulen

Even though I was going to colour Commissar Cross next, I ended up drawing more sketches instead. Here is a couple of them.

Briareos. Crush And Smite!

Saint Michelle. Cleave And Smite!

I'm not entirely sure about Briareos, since he was created in a spur of a moment, but St. Michelle is actually a giant manned mech, piloted by Riona Rylendt. St. Michelle is constructed in such a way so that it would be able to channel and amplify Rio's power, and it can single-handedly take out an entire army. It has several "built-in" weapons, among which is the Total Annihilator weapon installed in its head, Swarm Plasma Missiles launched from the shoulders, Photon Cannons in the palms and the transformable wings that can extend multiple flexible ribbons with razor-sharp edges. And, of course, there is always a huge sword for when you absolutely, positively need to cleave and smite your opponent.

Ren Gaulen

Don't forget that there is a couple of new sketches in the previous post!

A couple of sketches of one of my older characters, Riona Rylendt, who was created before I got into the furry stuff.

A big girl with a gun. "I am a big girl, yes I am, and I've got a big gun. Got me a BFG and I, I'm gonna have fun.." I'll probably have to erase the "big gun" in the final version, though - no way she can stand like that with that thing hanging behind her. Then again, Rio doesn't have problems with defying gravity when she needs it. :shifty

Saint Anger. "RIP AND TEAR!!" Or, alternatively, "RIO SMASH!!" Don't make Riona angry. You won't like her when she's angry..

rt

Query: Do you find using graph paper helps you keep things square and round and proportioned (and/or some other fancy words). Or it is just what you have on hand. *Is curious*

And good jobs all around on the latest art streak, they all look mighty fine by my eyes.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: rt on November 01, 2008, 06:28:11 PM
Query: Do you find using graph paper helps you keep things square and round and proportioned (and/or some other fancy words). Or it is just what you have on hand. *Is curious*

And good jobs all around on the latest art streak, they all look mighty fine by my eyes.
I really don't know why I use graph paper. I guess it really helps me keep the proportions right. And thank you. :3