[Art] Cheerleader Ziggy

Started by Ren Gaulen, February 10, 2008, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 29, 2010, 05:43:33 AM
Oh, these are coming along well.  I still think that the background makes it hard to see Ren's legs, but fixing that is going to be hard without upsetting the mood.  A lot depends on the monitor calibration and how good/bad the monitor is at displaying dark colours, I guess.
Yeah, the lightsabres just don't look quite as good against a light background. :/

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 29, 2010, 05:43:33 AM
The other thing is the lightning on Jay's finger, it bugs me somehow.  I think the problem is that in real lightning it will taper away as it forks, and in this all the branches are the same width.
Give me a break, it's the first lightning I drew! :P

Inumo

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on October 29, 2010, 06:03:47 AM
Give me a break, it's the first lightning I drew! :P

Of course we can't give you a break, that's how we make you better! :P I'm curious, how are you putting the figures into the group picture? Also, are you doing the entire group picture without shading, or will you be adding that in as time lends itself to that?

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Inumo on October 29, 2010, 08:49:26 AM
I'm curious, how are you putting the figures into the group picture? Also, are you doing the entire group picture without shading, or will you be adding that in as time lends itself to that?
I colour each one individually, then save as a PNG with a transparent background and combine them into a single picture, resizing and positioning them appropriately, and making the glow effects for the sabres/Force powers. And I will be shading all of them. I un-shaded Ren because I haven't had time to shade Jay and Pagan, and didn't want him to look weird next to them.

Ren Gaulen

I don't have any updates on the Force Unbound project, but I have drawn a couple neat pictures of dragons.
It's a type of dragons in my setting. Rather than being clad in armoured scales, they have short firm fur covering their bodies. They are generally smaller than their "armoured" brethren, and are considered to be more peaceful than them. These furred dragons are famous shapeshifters, and it is not uncommon for them to live among humans or other lesser races, disguised as one of them. This one spent a large portion of her life among humans too, going by the name Rebecca (although I still haven't decided what would be her real name).

This is Tiamat, a dragon goddess (or, perhaps, a goddess dragon) in the Shades of Grey setting (somewhat inspired by the D&D Tiamat, I admit). She is often called Dragon of Chaos and Night Dragon. The former name was given to her for creating a plethora of different monsters, the latter due to her pitch-black scales that reflect light in such a way she melds with the starry sky. She and her brother, Bahamut - Dragon of Order or Day Dragon - are actively involved in the affairs of the mortal world, unlike most other dragon deities, and thus are known not only among dragons and most devout scholars. Tiamat is usually considered an evil deity by lesser races, but dragons themselves hold both her and her brother in the same regard; then again, they view them as dragons first and deities second, anyway. Tiamat does not seem to have a particular domain, travelling across the Outer Universe instead, often taking different appearances. She takes great enjoyment in sowing chaos and causing things to happen, often instigating conflict and strife. However, sometimes her actions may cause things to change for the better - which is fine by her, as long as she gets to have some fun. Also, she has a great fondness of seas, oceans and other large bodies of water - which is somewhat fitting for a chaos goddess.
She is also greatly amused by suicidally stupid adventurers that sometimes try to challenge her.

And here's a picture comparing the sizes of Tiamat and Becky from above.

WhiteFox

Those spikes on tiamat's wing-knuckles are cool. I don't think I've ever seen something like that before.

I like the balance between generic and exotic. They have personality, but they don't look Ex-treeeem! crazy-weird.

The suggestion of frizz looks good in quite a few places; I like the corner of the jaw, the haunch, the shoulder, and that bit on the chest. I don't think it would hurt to add more. Frizzing up the muscle accents might be an idea.

The wings look... massive. The bulk makes them look powerful, but heavy for flying. Physics notwithstanding: I'm just looking at the impression they make. They're dragons; I'm not going to tell them they can't have massive wings.  :3 The hands on the wings look a bit cumbersome... I could do a redline with some suggestions, if you want the advice.

Those scaled hand/paws look great. Expressive poses, nice detail, and the scales look cool IMHO. It's a nice blend between hands and paw, too (secretly, I envy that).
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: WhiteFox on November 05, 2010, 05:30:49 PM
Those spikes on tiamat's wing-knuckles are cool. I don't think I've ever seen something like that before.

I like the balance between generic and exotic. They have personality, but they don't look Ex-treeeem! crazy-weird.
Thanks. :3 I really was trying to keep a more or less traditional Western dragon look while adding some original touches to it.

The suggestion of frizz looks good in quite a few places; I like the corner of the jaw, the haunch, the shoulder, and that bit on the chest. I don't think it would hurt to add more. Frizzing up the muscle accents might be an idea.
That actually looks very good, thanks for the idea! I'll try to incorporate it in the future drawings (or even touch up these ones).

The hands on the wings look a bit cumbersome... I could do a redline with some suggestions, if you want the advice.
I am willing to listen. Those wing-hands do look rather cumbersome.

Those scaled hand/paws look great. Expressive poses, nice detail, and the scales look cool IMHO. It's a nice blend between hands and paw, too (secretly, I envy that).
Once again, thanks. Those are actually really more hands than just paws; they even have opposable thumbs. Which actually makes me think of drawing a picture of a dragon giving a thumbs-up to someone/something. :B

Oh, and on the other note, the furred dragoness's real name is Becarare now; thanks to Jay for the idea. :>

Kenji

Like the fuzzy dragon. Always had a thing for dragons with hair.
Body structure is great on it.

Ren Gaulen

Posting a bunch of random sketches I've done over the past month or so, just to keep my thread alive.

A Fury warrior, guardian of the Federation.

Two agents of secret police inspired by the Inquisition from the Warhammer 40K setting.

Siegfried, the Demon Prince, looking the way he is supposed to look for once.

A wrench wench fixing the futuristic knigths' machines.

Kipiru

Impressive job as ever Ren, Especially love for the captain's sword and Sieg's blade wings  :mowcookie

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Kipiru on December 07, 2010, 10:03:36 AM
Impressive job as ever Ren, Especially love for the captain's sword and Sieg's blade wings  :mowcookie
Thanks, Kipiru! Those swords in the Zig picture were indeed intended to be an allegory for wings - because I really did not want to draw actual ones. :B

Kipiru

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 07, 2010, 10:13:25 AM
Quote from: Kipiru on December 07, 2010, 10:03:36 AM
Thanks, Kipiru! Those swords in the Zig picture were indeed intended to be an allegory for wings - because I really did not want to draw actual ones. :B

He'd look really impressive with a couple of more of them  >:3 Just a thought.

Gabi

They cause a nice effect.

I find myself without much to comment, your sketches are impressive.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Gabi on December 07, 2010, 10:27:56 AM
They cause a nice effect.

I find myself without much to comment, your sketches are impressive.
Thanks. I need to post more here. :3

Quote from: Kipiru on December 07, 2010, 10:27:10 AM
He'd look really impressive with a couple of more of them  >:3 Just a thought.
I considered that, but I was afraid to mess something up, and end up covering the entire picture in eraser marks. :T

Inumo

Heh. Wrench wench... I'll have to remember that. :P Great job with Seigfried's armor, though Fury's looks a bit like he's got boobs. Of course, if Fury actually is a female, then the face is really masculine looking. Sari's fur looks great, though I think her goggles would fold a bit more unless they had a stiff nose thing. I haven't seen goggles made with stiff leather, though I suppose it's possible. Aside from those little details, looks great!

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Inumo on December 07, 2010, 06:12:58 PM
Heh. Wrench wench... I'll have to remember that. :P Great job with Seigfried's armor, though Fury's looks a bit like he's got boobs. Of course, if Fury actually is a female, then the face is really masculine looking. Sari's fur looks great, though I think her goggles would fold a bit more unless they had a stiff nose thing. I haven't seen goggles made with stiff leather, though I suppose it's possible. Aside from those little details, looks great!
I'm not the one who came up with the "wrench wench" thing, I merely saw that on TV Tropes. :B And the Furies are all female. The masculine look is part me having problems with drawing human female faces, part them being genetically engineered super-soldiers. :P And those goggles indeed look a bit too stiff, but I didn't want to use the eraser too much, or it would all be one big smudge. :T Anyway, thanks! :>

Jairus

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 08, 2010, 01:56:20 AM
Quote from: Inumo on December 07, 2010, 06:12:58 PM
I'm not the one who came up with the "wrench wench" thing, I merely saw that on TV Tropes. :B And the Furies are all female. The masculine look is part me having problems with drawing human female faces, part them being genetically engineered super-soldiers. :P And those goggles indeed look a bit too stiff, but I didn't want to use the eraser too much, or it would all be one big smudge. :T Anyway, thanks! :>
Ah yes, the old "they're genetically engineered super-soldiers" excuse. :p
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Jairus on December 08, 2010, 02:37:06 AM
Ah yes, the old "they're genetically engineered super-soldiers" excuse. :p
Alright, fine, it's me being unable to draw female faces right! Are you satisfied? D:<

:P :P :P

Ren Gaulen

I had some slight doubts whether to post it here or not, but here I go.

Cheerleader Ziggy. (Warning, so gay it's flaming. :B )
FurAffinity link. (It's FurAffinity, goes without saying you wouldn't want to surf it at work. :P )

Yep, that's Ziggy, dressed like a cheerleader and acting like a complete jackass. He does that sometimes (acting like a jackass, not dressing like a cheerleader).

Kipiru

What scares me is that it actually looks good on him  :U

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Kipiru on December 09, 2010, 06:14:12 AM
What scares me is that it actually looks good on him  :U
It does indeed. His slender figure helps, definitely. On someone like Ren it would have looked downright wrong. :B

Tapewolf

It's the bulge that scares me.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Gabi

That makes me wonder... do female sports teams have cheerleaders? Or do only guys get to be cheered? (We don't have cheerleaders here, and the ones I've seen on TV, comics, etc. seemed like little more than sex toys for the guys they cheered for, I'd like to know what it's like in reality).
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Gabi on December 09, 2010, 09:09:52 AM
That makes me wonder... do female sports teams have cheerleaders? Or do only guys get to be cheered? (We don't have cheerleaders here, and the ones I've seen on TV, comics, etc. seemed like little more than sex toys for the guys they cheered for, I'd like to know what it's like in reality).
To be honest, I never heard of a female sports team with cheerleaders. :/ In all the honesty, though, given the stuff the cheerleaders do, with all those aerial stunts and such, they make better sportsmen (sportswomen, anyway) than most of the guys they are cheering for.

WhiteFox

Might be just me, but he hips look curvy for a guy.

Also maybe probably just me, but I always find it weird when a figure is drawn with complex and detailed anatomy, but an anime face.  :B

I don't find the bulge particularly frightening... I've seenLabrynth... but for some reason, the boots and pigtails are just disturbing.

Quote from: Gabi on December 09, 2010, 09:09:52 AM
(We don't have cheerleaders here, and the ones I've seen on TV, comics, etc. seemed like little more than sex toys for the guys they cheered for, I'd like to know what it's like in reality).
I'm pretty sure cheer leaders are supposed to distract the opposite team, rather than encourage their own.

If that's so, I bet girls teams look for beefcake water-boys, and coaches who look like George Clooney.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: WhiteFox on December 09, 2010, 05:37:02 PM
Might be just me, but he hips look curvy for a guy.
That's probably because I drew his waist a bit too thin.

Also maybe probably just me, but I always find it weird when a figure is drawn with complex and detailed anatomy, but an anime face.  :B
Originally I was going to give him a less exaggerated expression, but it was not turning out so well, so I went straight for an anime'ish one.

I don't find the bulge particularly frightening... I've seenLabrynth... but for some reason, the boots and pigtails are just disturbing.
As a friend of mine from FurAffinity mentioned in the comments there, those boots are an affront to all that is manly. :B