Lighter posting

Started by superluser, February 05, 2008, 10:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Some of you may have noticed that I've been posting less recently.

I'm going to be posting even less than that for the next 40-odd days.  Starting midnight tonight, I'm giving up forums for Lent.

(since Sundays are not part of Lent, I'll probably stick my head in so my account doesn't get deactivated)

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Damaris

don't worry.  We won't deactivate your account if you are gone for 40 days.

Also, I've never heard of Sundays not being part of Lent.  That's just kinda weird.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Eibborn

Heh, that's a pretty neat thing to give up for Lent. We'll see you next Sunday!
/kicks the internet over

Zedd

Umm not to be a really brainless..But please tell me what it is about? I am not a smart person when it comes to religion :.

Suwako

Quote from: Zedd on February 08, 2008, 03:42:26 PM
Umm not to be a really brainless..But please tell me what it is about? I am not a smart person when it comes to religion :.

The internet's!

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=lent&gwp=13

:O

superluser

Quote from: Damaris on February 05, 2008, 11:59:05 PMdon't worry.  We won't deactivate your account if you are gone for 40 days.

I thought you occasionally pruned accounts that were inactive for more than a month.

Quote from: Damaris on February 05, 2008, 11:59:05 PMAlso, I've never heard of Sundays not being part of Lent.  That's just kinda weird.

`Tis true.

I think it's primarily because of things like, ``I'm giving up air conditioning for Lent.  What's that?  Church is air conditioned?  I guess I can't go to church anymore.''

Valynth

Quote from: superluser on February 10, 2008, 01:57:39 AM
Quote from: Damaris on February 05, 2008, 11:59:05 PMdon't worry.  We won't deactivate your account if you are gone for 40 days.

I thought you occasionally pruned accounts that were inactive for more than a month.

I always thought it was when someone starts a "there's 666 members!" thread.  'Cause that when they actually push the button that prunes people.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Pagan

Quote from: superluser on February 10, 2008, 01:57:39 AM

Quote from: Damaris on February 05, 2008, 11:59:05 PMAlso, I've never heard of Sundays not being part of Lent.  That's just kinda weird.

`Tis true.

I think it's primarily because of things like, ``I'm giving up air conditioning for Lent.  What's that?  Church is air conditioned?  I guess I can't go to church anymore.''

So, if lent is not in effect on sundays, can i have chocolate today?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

superluser

Quote from: Pagan on February 10, 2008, 01:00:07 PMSo, if lent is not in effect on sundays, can i have chocolate today?

Well, that depends.

Do you own chocolate or is it possible for you to obtain chocolate today?
Are you allergic, diabetic or otherwise incapable of eating chocolate?
Are there any reasons other than Lent that would prevent you from eating chocolate today?
Is it still Sunday where you are?

If you answered yes to all of these, there's a decent chance that you're on the road to having chocolate today.

Unless it's Chocolate Rain.  In that case, no.
Also, the Chocolate Moose from Punster's Shopping Bizarre may pose a problem.

Damaris

There is some truth in this thread...

Because we prune manually, we usually don't think about it until someone starts the "666 members thread."

That said, when we prune, we usually get rid of people who haven't posted at all, or who havn't logged in at all in at least 6 months.  And *still* even then, we look at how many posts they have before we delete them.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Poofyspikes

I was always a fan of giving up Christianity for Lent.

Reese Tora

That Sundays not counting seemed kind of odd to me, so I asked my mom about it.

According to her, Sundays are a celebration of the resurection, so they don't count as part of the 40 pentient days of lent.  It's open to interpretation as to whether or not this counts as being able to do what you gave up for lent.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation