One step away from a Masters!

Started by Alondro, January 29, 2008, 04:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

After years of toil, grueling misery in the mouse room, delay after delay, a complete harddrive crash, file corruption, and everything else imaginable getting in the way...

I have completed my graduate paper!   :boogie

Now only my committee review and oral examination remain, and I will have a Masters in Biology!   :woot
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Dannysaysnoo

rt

Pre-Emptimve Congradulations Alondro .. that's a lot of hard work.

Now go get ready for those hard and annoying questions from the commity

Quote from: Alondro on January 29, 2008, 04:22:54 PM
.., a complete harddrive crash, file corruption..

Eeek hopefully you were one of the parranoid students always backing up their work on cd and emailing it to themselves.

Kenji

Make sure to do the whole "The student has surpassed the teacher" shpiel.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Eibborn

Quote from: Alondro on January 29, 2008, 04:22:54 PM
Now only my committee review and oral examination remain, and I will have a Masters in Biology!   :woot

Better brush up!

Man am I ever hilarious.
/kicks the internet over

rabid_fox

Congruntulations, in potentia. De jour & de facto congruntulations hopefully to follow.

Oh dear.

KarlOmega1

Excellent! Of course, the question now is 'what comes after you get it?'
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

superluser

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Alondro

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on January 29, 2008, 08:28:15 PM
Excellent! Of course, the question now is 'what comes after you get it?'

Uhm, I get to not go to school anymore?  And uhm... I get a piece of paper saying I graduated!

And I can qualify for the next level of lab technician.

And I get to point at my family and go "Ha ha!  I've a graduate degree and youuuuu don't!"
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

llearch n'n'daCorna

And thus the excellence of schooling gets another acclaim... ;-]

Omega

*sigh*

Still four and a half years left for me   ._.

Alondro

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I get to think about going for a PhD.   :B

rabid_fox

Dr. Alondro, eh? I'd salute you should they hoist you up a flagpole.

Oh dear.

Cogidubnus

One of my freshman-level course teachers just became a Doctor, like, a month before teaching our class. She was pretty excited.

I asked her if there was anything one should keep in mind when going for a doctorate. Her answer surprised me. "Well, you should always keep in mind that your doctoral adviser might say something like, 'While your at it, you need to go pick up German.'"

This did not encourage me, sadly.

Azlan

He he, I still beat you to Masters by almost a year :P
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

bill

Alondro

superluser

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 30, 2008, 09:03:24 PMI asked her if there was anything one should keep in mind when going for a doctorate. Her answer surprised me. "Well, you should always keep in mind that your doctoral adviser might say something like, 'While your at it, you need to go pick up German.'"

What's her degree in?  I do know, for example, that you need to know a little German in order to do Biblical scholarship.
Yes, I used that phrase specifically so that someone could make the Top Secret ref.
Quote from: Alondro on January 31, 2008, 01:21:40 AM*Blinds Bill with science!*   >:3

So wait.  This is about Thomas Dolby now?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on January 31, 2008, 09:14:12 AM
What's her degree in?  I do know, for example, that you need to know a little German in order to do Biblical scholarship.

I'd say Gorn counts, but he's swiss, and not exactly short...

Cogidubnus

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 30, 2008, 09:03:24 PMI asked her if there was anything one should keep in mind when going for a doctorate. Her answer surprised me. "Well, you should always keep in mind that your doctoral adviser might say something like, 'While your at it, you need to go pick up German.'"

English, actually.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 31, 2008, 09:23:44 AM

I'd say Gorn counts, but he's swiss, and not exactly short...

I have a friend who lived in Germany for awhile. Does that count?  :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Cogidubnus on January 31, 2008, 10:23:56 AM
I have a friend who lived in Germany for awhile. Does that count?  :<

Only to two. ;-]

Alondro

I know some Japanese!

Miageta yo zorano hoshi tachi no hikari.

*learns Japanese by memorizing "Bleach" songs*   :B

superluser

I know some French.

Specifically, I know the phrase ``Je m'appelle Isabelle.''

It doesn't come in handy that often.

Alondro

Michelle, ma belle, sont les mots qui vont tres bien ensemble.   ;)

Est-ce que je peux aller a toillet?

Poulet!  Il fait froid!

Merde...

llearch n'n'daCorna

I hate to break up the fun, but, well, Rule VIII kinda says you shouldn't be posting in other languages.

*ahem* like that.

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 31, 2008, 02:26:22 PM
I hate to break up the fun, but, well, Rule VIII kinda says you shouldn't be posting in other languages.

*ahem* like that.

The first line counts as English cuz it's from a Beatles song!   :B

rt

Out of curiosity Alondro, is the thesis up for/pland for publication in a journal?. And not knowing many Biologists (or much of the US system), how long does such a Biologist Master's take? (Or I guess 'ideally/realisticaly suposed to take')

Alondro

Quote from: rt on February 01, 2008, 03:13:18 PM
Out of curiosity Alondro, is the thesis up for/pland for publication in a journal?. And not knowing many Biologists (or much of the US system), how long does such a Biologist Master's take? (Or I guess 'ideally/realisticaly suposed to take')

Nope, it's just a graduate paper for non-thesis majors, based on already-done research with my own extrapolations of the data.  That kind of degree is for people like me who have to work full-time and can't afford to do their own research at the expense of earning vital income for stuff like survival and not losing ones' house.  :B

If you can go straight through the courses, it's possible to get a Masters in only two years, doing summer courses as well as spring and fall.  Of course, it also depends on what you choose for your research project.  That can take longer if it's an extensive topic or one that needs long-term results.

Saist

Is it bad that my first thought about Alondro getting his masters in biology involved Charline calling herself a Master Cook?