Love/ hate Cv 64 & what was I looking for all the time?

Started by Nimrods Son, May 30, 2006, 07:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the definitive Cv 64 poll! Woo! I always wanted to do that.

Cv 64s are shite
They're great
They're great, graphics are shite
I don't care
Neither should you

Nimrods Son

All I want from a modern Cv game is an arcade-style action/adventure experience with just a little bit more story elements than in classic Cv gameplay. That’s why I love Cv 64, for they have strong story-strands guiding you through the linear chain of levels (which are in itself non-linear), and that’s why I’m dissatisfied with IGA-style castleroids, for everything in its level design is just there to remind you that IGA did Symphony and is great, while for a game with such a bias on levelling and collecting millions of items, there is surprisingly an absolute sad lack of little story sequences, of text messages, of dialogues… still, I buy and play them, for they’re Cv, but all I wanted was a spirit, a fashion, a simplicity. 1993, where are you now, where’s truth and beauty?  :erk

Just for checking, I added this possibility for you to express your hatred :mwaha or love ^_^ for the Cv 64s.
To me, they’re the last Cv “epics” with the meaning of belonging to the “main” series rather than to the sidestrands – the “Adventure”, “X” or the “IGA castleroid Advanced Cv” series.

Darkmoon

I'm a big fan of the CV64s. For all the little niggly bits that are wrong with the games (like the unresponsive camera and some boring level design) they got so much right, especially when you consider it was their first 3D CVs.

I think for story, the best of the CV-roids was CotM. There was a good bit of dialogue in that game, and enough story to carry you through.

Nimrods Son

CotM is cool for me 'cause of its arcade-niveau :redrum hardness. That's a game where there's a real need for extensive levelling, and the magic system is pretty useful and kinda "sorted", compard to LoI's or Aria's.
IGA seems to know pretty well what he's doing when he tries to de-canonize CV64 & CotM, he's disabling comparison  :mwaha

Darkmoon

DragonCub

Castlevania Canon or not, the Castlevania games on the 64 were decent games.

Xuzaf D

I would have liked to play the 64 games. I just find it odd that so many people hate the games so much. I remember getting into one fight at ICVDF where the person decided that comparing CV64 to Resident Evil 3's cinimatics was fair.

Darkmoon

They can't be that hard to find. Maybe EBay would have em.

ilpalazzo

I'm stuck on LoD. I think I forgot something at the satrt so I have to restart.
Oh well.

Achirio

You know why people hated them? because it was the first attempt for 3d, which meant losing the original castlevania feeling. But they, as game where good.
I did hate the mandragora/nitro part tho -_-  stupid crap gave me tons of heart attack.
As for cotm, it was an ok but i still liked sotn better.

Xuzaf D

My favorite 'roid at this point is Aria. It was more streamlined than SotN, and every enemy in the game dropped a different type of food. Damn... if I played long enough I probably could have written an "ENEMY DROP FOOD" list.

ilpalazzo

Ah hell all CV's rule...... *Hugs all of his castlevania games*

Nimrods Son

Quote from: ilpalazzo on June 01, 2006, 01:06:08 AM
*Hugs all of his castlevania games*
:yeahthat it's like family. And it's good to have something for yourself that your friends can't understand :)
Cv comes handy at this point.

ilpalazzo

My job, which shall remain nameless, allows me to look into people, so to speak. by doing his I turned one of my friend into avid CV fans.

Damn i'm good.

Achirio

Darkmoon

The mandragora was the one part of the game I really didn't care for. Pain in the arse level.

Other than that, though, most of the areas were quite fun to play...

Actuall, I did hate the tower of duels too, simply because the hit-detection when trying to grab onto ledges sucked dick.

ilpalazzo

Nimrods Son

Quote from: ilpalazzo on June 01, 2006, 07:09:54 PM
Those levels were one of my favorites.
Mine as well. Gotta love the Vampire Butlers :) At least, finally there's really vampires in a Cv game so Dracula actually IS king of sorts to something.

BlackSheep

CV64 and LoD were both great games with hidden touches that you might not at first be aware of.  For example, once when I had just jumped on to the big stone pillar that descends down into the ravine in CV64, I spun the camera around and panned upwards.  Staring back at me was a skeleton that had chased me towards the pillar and it had actually wandered over to the precipice after I had escaped it and was staring menacingly down at me as I descended.  That is cool to die for in my book.   :)

Nimrods Son

Yup. The KI (read: "personality feel") of these games' minor enemies is unmatched, not even in the more recent games. I don't want to say that IGA sucks, but, in this aspect, his games do. But that's perhabs because of the room-for-room character of Lament of Innocence.

BlackSheep

His games don't suck exactly but they can't match the N64s for sheer atmosphere. One has to take in to account, the years between the N64s and Iga's 3D efforts and the technology changes therein.

The N64 music rocked too.

Lysander

Yeah, I really like the 64 games. LoD more since it has the stuff from the first, but more. Did have great music, gameplay wasn't terrible like many say either. Going through the game with the whip can get pretty tough though. Doing things like spending all the money on day/night cards so you can fight the other vampire hunter and the shop owner doesn't help things.
TytajLucheek

Nimrods Son

yeah, it's quite a tough one. But still, besides Ultimate Dracula who is bad asshole,
the game is as balanced as Super Cv IV.

Leafar

i am an old school soldier...for me castle always will be platform, 2d...
i mean...i already get pissed with bats coming forward...i don't want more directions for the freaking to come annoy me :p...just kidding...
but frankly...i am an old school fellow! :)