01/14/08 [DMFA #865] - Woot! Revolving doors rawk!

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, January 13, 2008, 11:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ailis

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 14, 2008, 10:37:46 AM
Quote from: Poofyspikes on January 14, 2008, 05:26:53 AM
Quote from: ??? (Hellcat) on January 14, 2008, 02:16:54 AM
I think that the comic is straying further away from the Dark Pegasus issue
Do you honestly expect that everythinganything will be resolved as soon as it's introduced?

Fixed your quote, there. ;-]

Nah, "everything" is appropriate.  After all, why Alexis isn't a cubi is broguht up and dealt with in one strip.

(Can somebody PM me about how to insert the hyperlink as text, not the whole url?)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Caswin

So... what about Amber's comparably recent "Ask the Author" statement that "Dan's mother is in Twink Territories!"?  Sounds official enough to me.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

e_voyager

agreed but it still doesn't set a time frame that we can be sure of does it?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

thegayhare

now the thing I'm wondering is...

Do you think Deebs has hit Jyrras's gas line yet or do you think she's given up

Naldru

Quote from: e_voyager on January 14, 2008, 05:45:16 AM
planning shows intelligence. planning for everything shows paranoia.

Quote from:   "random E"
this is your brain :mowhappy. this is your brain on dmfa :mowcookie. any questions?
Actually, trying to plan for everything indicates obsession
Believing that you can plan for everything indicates a lack of reality

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

WhiteFox

I think Dark Pegasus comes back because Regina keeps resurrecting him.

Also, in the chapter description on the archive page, did Amber not mention a "Mother of all flashbacks"? I wouldn't be surprised if Destania isn't going to be revealing a looot of backstory. I also would not be surprised if DP doesn't show up at all. "The return of Dark Pegasus?" is a questionable title, after all.

Also... Ailis: If you ever want to figure out how someone did something in a post, do what I do. Quote them and look at the code.

EDIT: "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." -paraphrased from Churchill.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

e_voyager

Quote from: Naldru on January 14, 2008, 01:00:38 PM

most people are somewhat lacking in the acceptance of reality.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Tapewolf

Or good programming practice.

Quote from: WhiteFox on January 14, 2008, 01:16:23 PM
Also, in the chapter description on the archive page, did Amber not mention a "Mother of all flashbacks"? I wouldn't be surprised if Destania isn't going to be revealing a looot of backstory.
Woah... good catch.  I think you may well be onto something here.

However I'm not sure I can agree with your assertion that Regina is responsible to resurrecting DP.  I'm not sure it quite gels with the general demon ethos.  If it is DP's kin or friends that's responsible (and we don't even know that there is any relationship between DP and Regina other than the fact that they're the same race), then supposedly they would respect Dan for being 'arder than Pegasus, not resurrect the loser...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Fresnor

Quote from: e_voyager on January 14, 2008, 01:25:21 PM

most people are somewhat lacking in the acceptance of reality.

It's not that they don't accept reality, they just replace it with their own.   :mowtongue

PurpleCheeseLlama

On the topic of 'How does Dan know Destania is in Twink Territory?', has anyone mentioned the possibility of him catching a fragment of thought from Alexsi? I had a quick scan through, it doesn't seem to have been brought up...

Anyways, yeah; Since Dan's thoughtreading abilities are still in their early stages, it would make sense that he would hear from Alexsi's mind that his mother is in TT, but not realise that it's Alexsi's thought, so to speak...then again, who knows how Dan's mind works XD

I want to see Wednesday's strip so badly now >-> just to see what Dan does next...

Insert Witty Name

Quote from: PurpleCheeseLlama on January 14, 2008, 02:32:43 PM
On the topic of 'How does Dan know Destania is in Twink Territory?', has anyone mentioned the possibility of him catching a fragment of thought from Alexsi? I had a quick scan through, it doesn't seem to have been brought up...

Anyways, yeah; Since Dan's thoughtreading abilities are still in their early stages, it would make sense that he would hear from Alexsi's mind that his mother is in TT, but not realise that it's Alexsi's thought, so to speak...then again, who knows how Dan's mind works XD

I want to see Wednesday's strip so badly now >-> just to see what Dan does next...

Or Alexsi could simply just have told him. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best, even if it is no fun.

EDIT: spellig
The lurker formerly known as "Zombie_Hunter".

AnizInDisguise

I'm just going to go right out there and say this: I don't get the revolving door thing

Rithm Alfortele

Am I the only one who thinks that Dan picked up on Biggs' thoughts accidentally with the use of his mental powers? Sorta like...

Dan: Hmm.... flying through Twink Territories... I don't see her anywhere.

Biggs: Dooty doot, Location of Destania, dooty doot!

Dan: BIGGS!  :kruger

Sid

Interesting suggestion, even though I think he would've breached that topic with her first. Him catching such a thought and then acting on it without saying a word seems somewhat unlikely (though, of course, possible).

The variation of that would of course be "She told him", but I somehow doubt that because she'd know he'd instantly stomp off then.

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on January 14, 2008, 03:16:19 PM
I'm just going to go right out there and say this: I don't get the revolving door thing

Unless I'm mistaken, he's referring to how people constantly walk in and out of his house (and territory) without permission. Years ago, Dan and the others to get the mallet back. Then there was Wildy's rescue party. And now Dan again.

Like, people come and go at a frequency that he might as well just rip out the door or install a revolving one.

Also compare at least one Pratchett novel (Mort, maybe? Was something Death mused about...) and of course the Order of the Stick revolving door afterlife
:boogie

WhiteFox

Quote from: Zachski on January 14, 2008, 03:33:17 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Dan picked up on Biggs' thoughts accidentally with the use of his mental powers? Sorta like...

Dan: Hmm.... flying through Twink Territories... I don't see her anywhere.

Biggs: Dooty doot, Location of Destania, dooty doot!

Dan: BIGGS!  :kruger

When would he have gotten a chance to read Biggs mind? Besides, I dont' think Dan knows how to do that yet.

I think Fi started babbling, and let it out.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Tapewolf

Quote from: WhiteFox on January 14, 2008, 04:31:48 PM
When would he have gotten a chance to read Biggs mind? Besides, I dont' think Dan knows how to do that yet.

While I wouldn't exactly put it past Fi, a crucial flaw in that reasoning is that Fi probably doesn't know where Destania is either.

PurpleCheeseLlama

Quote from: Zombie_Hunter on January 14, 2008, 03:11:44 PM

Or Alexsi could simply just have told him. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best, even if it is no fun.

Yeah, I considered that, but it seemed too simple (and kinda un-Alexsi-ish)
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_712.php Plus, from this comic you kinda get the idea that Destania told Alexsi not to mention her. But who knows XD

ON YET ANOTHER TOPIC! Will Biggs recognise Dan as the 'smoking brunette'? XD that's my other reason for wanting Wednesday to hurry up...

WhiteFox

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 14, 2008, 05:29:31 PM

While I wouldn't exactly put it past Fi, a crucial flaw in that reasoning is that Fi probably doesn't know where Destania is either.

Fi, theoretically, knows everything Fa'Lina's been into. Which may or may not involve knowing the whereabouts of Dest.

I bet Dan's going to say "You know the brunette? That was ME." I have no idea how it's going to be made possible, but I really, REALLY wanna see it happen.

Also: Durn it, when is Dan and Matilda gonna go out on a date!? I'm still waiting to see that!

Tapewolf

Quote from: WhiteFox on January 14, 2008, 06:48:25 PM
Fi, theoretically, knows everything Fa'Lina's been into. Which may or may not involve knowing the whereabouts of Dest.

I'm not sure Fa'Lina knows about that.  It's up in the air whether she knew what happened to Destania at all after she left the Academy.  Personally I'm inclined to believe she returned to formally resign (and retrieve the family heirlooms with the clan mark on), but in that case the last Fa'Lina is likely to know is that she'd married an adventurer and was going to settle down.

Her omniscience seems to tail off a couple of months after someone leaves the Academy, and we never knew how long she'd been on the mission before she was attacked.  So whether she knows about the Biggs connection (and Biggs wasn't even born when she left) is up in the air.

Naldru

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 14, 2008, 01:48:32 PM
There are some things that shouldn't be planned for because of their low probability and/or impact.  Or at least should not be planned for until the more likely scenarios and/or those with higher impact are considered.

When writing software, I'm not going to consider the possibility of the sun going supernova.  It has virtually zero probability of happening.  Furthermore, since its occurrence would vaporize the hardware the software is running on, its occurrence would make the subject of reliability irrelevant.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Alondro

Quote from: Naldru on January 14, 2008, 07:49:40 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on January 14, 2008, 01:48:32 PM

When writing software, I'm not going to consider the possibility of the sun going supernova.  It has virtually zero probability of happening.  Furthermore, since its occurrence would vaporize the hardware the software is running on, its occurrence would make the subject of reliability irrelevant.

*And just as Naldru settles down for a long night of programming, the sun goes supoernova!  But by a strange twist of fate, Naldru and his computer survive!  Alas, the drive has been scrambled by the radiation, and Naldru is doomed to float in space forever unable to program again, all because he didn't prepare for everything!*

That's what happens when you play with fate, if the Amber Zone.   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Caswin

Quote from: e_voyager on January 14, 2008, 12:40:11 PM
agreed but it still doesn't set a time frame that we can be sure of does it?
It makes it almost inescapably clear that the scene from #78 was legit and canon.  I think that's enough.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Aleolus

Yay!  Biggs is back, and he doesn't look very happy.

stiletto

You know, it must reflect rather poorly on me that the first thing I thought was "Hey, Dan stole Abel's shirt!"

Hellcat

Quote from: stiletto on January 14, 2008, 11:42:23 PM
You know, it must reflect rather poorly on me that the first thing I thought was "Hey, Dan stole Abel's shirt!"

no, Able's shirt did no have the gray trimmings. Same colour though

Rithm Alfortele

EDIT: I'd first like to point out that Dan wouldn't have done any MIND reading.  He would've been doing thought reading, which is something a little different.

As far as thought reading goes... it's not a matter of knowing how, considering that it's no more an active ability than actually hearing (at least that's what I gathered from this: http://missmab.com/Demo/Cubi01.php).

If anything, considering how much of a novice that Dan is, he has a more likely chance of "overhearing" something by accident.

Which is why I imagined that simply being in the area, even with mind filters, Dan's mind was on his mother.  Therefore, he could've easily picked up on the name of his mother (a key word as Abel would put it), homed in on Biggs, and, well, yeah.

kaskar

8) Sidenote. Do Creatures tails regenerate if caught in a revolving door?  ( That is, by the door revolving too fast, and getting the tail ... )
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Fresnor

Isn't the revolving door right next to the doggy door?  And it's "Twink" territory... like a door would stop anyone anyways, they've probably all been picked open already.  :mowhappy

DavidRokon

Anyone notice he had two glasses? Wonder who else is in there.