Green pig means new organs for everyone!

Started by Boog, January 10, 2008, 04:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4605202.stm

Is there an award for "Creator of weirdest thread topic"? Regardless, seemed like something you folks would want to hear about.

Kenji

Where's our chickens?
I want green eggs and ham, dammit.

GabrielsThoughts

I would suspect the green pigs would have Jellyfish poisons in thier systems.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

techmaster-glitch

I've seen this kind of stuff before.
Pretty, though.

xHaZxMaTx

Didn't they make glow-in-the-dark cats not too long ago?

techmaster-glitch

That's actually exactly what I was refering to! :3

Omega

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on January 10, 2008, 11:46:27 PM
Didn't they make glow-in-the-dark cats not too long ago?
yes,  and if I remember correctly, other animals too. It's gonna take a while before you can buy that stuff. The tests and regualtions, you know. Don't want to let this new species run down the original genome and stuff.

gh0st

not only that but you have the problem with PLAYING GOD, i mean come on did any of the horrible zombie b movies teach us anything?

but anyways i just have to quote dr seusse because no one else has "no i will not eat your green eggs and ham, not with a mouse, on a train, or in the house."

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: gh0st on January 11, 2008, 08:03:40 PM
not only that but you have the problem with PLAYING GOD,."
Though I'm not speaking for the scientists, here's a little food for thought;

You can't play god if you don't belive in him :P

gh0st

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 11, 2008, 08:37:52 PM
not only that but you have the problem with PLAYING GOD,."
Though I'm not speaking for the scientists, here's a little food for thought;

You can't play god if you don't belive in him :P

kudos to you, that statement is true but in the same sense do you really want genetically modified zombie pigs to be added to the zombie games/movies?

techmaster-glitch

Wait, are you saying that you think a zombie outbreak could actually happen with an engineered virus (and the pigs will be a part of it), or are you just talking about zombie pigs being added to zombie media?

gh0st

i'm talking about it being added to the zombie media, i mean come on replace the zombie dogs on resident evil 3 with pigs and the game piratically drives a jet into the sea. and also in dead rising i think it would be kinda hard to lug around a pig just to smash it's head open.

Angel

Plaudits for the weirdest thread title yet. As to the breeding of a generation of green oinkers...

(sings) Talkin' 'bout my GREEN-ERATION! Sorry, bad pun.

Why would you want a green pig, anyway?
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Sid

...wow. There is actually some sort of competition going on about who can create the best glow-in-the-dark pig?

That's going to go over real well in job interviews:
Boss: "So, what prior experience do you have?"
Scientist: "I made pigs glow!"
:boogie

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: gh0st on January 11, 2008, 09:17:33 PM
I'm talking about it being added to the zombie media, i mean come on replace the zombie dogs on resident evil 3 with pigs and the game piratically drives a jet into the sea. and also in dead rising i think it would be kinda hard to lug around a pig just to smash it's head open.
Well, in terms of zombie media, I can't honestly say I care. I don't really play games like that (not necessarily by choice, I just don't have any), or watch movies of that kind, usually.

But still, I think we've gone a little off-track. What do zombies even have to do with a discussion about genetically modified glowing pigs?

Quote from: Black_angel on January 11, 2008, 09:21:40 PM
Why would you want a green pig, anyway?
Just to prove it can be done. Are you familiar with the terms pure chemistry/science and applied chemistry/science? Pure is simply the pursuit of these things for the sake of knowledge, whether or not it's practical (applied is actually searching for something that can actually be used). But, after someone has made a discovery with pure science, either they or someone else finds a practical application for said discovery.
   "Ah, but that's exactly what I think it is: nothing. I believe that I've solved one of the oldest conundrums of natural philosophy by creating and proving the existence of a vacuum! It completely invalidates Vacher's theories and proves that L'adin was actually a genius. Blasted elves always seem to be right."
   "What purpose does it serve?"
   "Purpose? None, of course. At least not that I can think of. However, this will help us understand the mechanics of our world, how and why things happen. It's a wondrous discovery. Who knows what else it might lead to?"
This is somewhat similar to the pigs and the cats; it clearly is pure science. To come up with a use for a discovery requires imagination and out-of-the-box thinking. We can make organisms glow naturally in dark and special kinds of invisible light by splicing these genes into them at conception.
A little challenge; try think of a practical application for this. If you think hard enough, I'm sure you can find one ;)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Valynth

Quote from: Sid on January 11, 2008, 09:32:49 PM
...wow. There is actually some sort of competition going on about who can create the best glow-in-the-dark pig?

That's going to go over real well in job interviews:
Boss: "So, what prior experience do you have?"
Scientist: "I made pigs glow!"

I'd hire him.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Omega

not only that but you have the problem with PLAYING GOD,
To that I have to say that we all are god's creations. Our abilities, dreams, fears and talents are all from him. Hence, improving others is inside her grace.
i mean come on did any of the horrible zombie b movies teach us anything?
That the dead are powerless against chainsaw and lawn mower?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Omega on January 12, 2008, 07:14:33 PM
i mean come on did any of the horrible zombie b movies teach us anything?
That the dead are powerless against chainsaw and lawn mower?

More importantly, against cricket bats and combine harvesters.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears