12/09/07 [Abel #109] - Abel's Story, Part Du

Started by Cogidubnus, December 09, 2007, 01:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Netrogo

Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Dannysaysnoo

I'd buy it, but i can't for two reasons.

1. im power cheap.

2. My machismo would never let me buy a plushie that isn't a gift.

AndersW

Quote from: Amber's RantHopefully Part One wasn't too terrible. If anything, Part Two will likely be a doozy.

What does that mean for part 2?  Does it mean that part 2 will be even longer than part 1, or does it mean that what happened to Abel so far isn't that bad compared to part 2.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 09, 2007, 10:28:53 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 09, 2007, 09:05:36 AM
Personally, I think Amber should call this the end of the donation drive, and start another one for the next segment.
I must have missed this comment - I was actually going to suggest something like that myself.

She mentioned it in the rant. Of course, she mentioned it in a "I'm not going to" way, and I only just got a chance to read the rant...

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 09, 2007, 10:28:53 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on December 09, 2007, 10:20:37 AM
However, that will be a long time and odds are I'm going to want to get Part two moderately out and running before I even think of selling Part 1 in a book.  Not to mention it will take me a long time going through and re-colouring 40 strips.  On a weekly basis, thats almost a years worth of work right there. X_x

If you can do it (without harming yourself) it would definitely be worthwhile.  I've seen far, far worse things which have made it into full-colour print.

I'd be happy with updates on alternating weekends, if it made a book come about. (just to state where I stand on it all - no pressure intended to Amber, because, honestly, she pushes herself more than enough ;-] )
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Netrogo

Indeed, if it became by weekly, or you just plain took a break for a bit to do it. Either way if it resulted in purchasables for us I think the majority would be more then happy with any kind of missed comic.

*Zombie-like* Urrrr... consume... purchase.... charrrrrge it...

Goatmon

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 09, 2007, 10:20:37 AM
I have deeply considered putting Abel's Story through a print run.  Though I'm going to have to go through and rescan/recolour the first 40 strips since I lost those hi-rez' in a crash. It will also let me let the colouring match up a bit better since midway through I started tri-shading.

However, that will be a long time and odds are I'm going to want to get Part two moderately out and running before I even think of selling Part 1 in a book.  Not to mention it will take me a long time going through and re-colouring 40 strips.  On a weekly basis, thats almost a years worth of work right there. X_x

Meh, when Dave released his comic in print form, all he really updated was the text (Which really was a necessary step, it was pretty unreadable in the early days) but beyond that very little was changed beyond rescanning it to meet the size requirements of the pages it was printed on.

But, whatever you feel is necessary, I'm sure it will look awesome if/when you decide it's ready to hit the press.  :)

Rafe

David Hopkins (at least for Jack) does all his work on paper, so in his case, he doesn't have to worry about losing it in a computer crash.  The worst thing that happened to Jack was when his cat decided to attack a finished page.  When you have the finished work on paper, all you do is scan them at whatever resolution you want.

Redrawing and recoloring 40 pages, as Amber said,  is a LOT of work.
Rafe

Goatmon

No, Rafe, I'd say the worst thing was when he lost over a year's worth of work (on several Jack projects) when his art bag got stolen last month. 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rafe on December 09, 2007, 05:52:01 PM
David Hopkins (at least for Jack) does all his work on paper, so in his case, he doesn't have to worry about losing it in a computer crash.  The worst thing that happened to Jack was when his cat decided to attack a finished page.  All you do in that case is scan them at whatever resolution you want.

I don't read it (and don't really intend to :U) - do you mean the colouring is all done physically as well?

As an aside that means he does have to worry about losing it if something happens to the house - conversely, for someone with a rigorous off-site backup scheme, digital art would be safer since you can make multiple lossless copies of it (I've just sunk close to $600 into an 8-channel audio interface to back up my master tapes for this reason).

QuoteRedrawing 40 pages, as Amber said,  is a LOT of work.
You probably know this better than I, but AFAIK it's not redrawing as such, since the lineart does still exist in inked form.  I don't know it's like for Abel's story, though - in the older strips like 'Warrior for Hire', 'Recipe for Disasters' etc a lot of the backgrounds (interior and exterior) were entirely computer-generated.  Abel's story - like the librarian - might have more hand-drawn backdrops, which would be better but either way, recolouring and compositing 40 pages is some serious work  :<

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

Quote from: Netrogo on December 09, 2007, 10:56:21 AM
Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on December 09, 2007, 10:53:37 AM
Quote from: Netrogo on December 09, 2007, 10:46:33 AM
An Abel, Dan, or Wildy plushie would be awesome too...

They would need to have hide-able wings to be truly awesome.

They could be like Popples only just the various wings would be stashable.

*Charles stabs repeatedly!*  NEVER BRING UP THOSE ABOMINATIONS AGAIN!!!  *stabbity stabbity*  I waited... *stab stab*  The whole damn series... *stab stab*  For some kind of villain!  *stab*  Some kind of bad guy who wanted to steal their obvious spatio-temporal physiological power!  *stab*  And there was NOTHING!!!  *STAB STAB!*  It was all just cutesy nauseating crap without end!  *STAB*  Even the f@$%# Care Bears had a bad guy!  Even My Little Pony had bad guys!   I was robbed!  RRRRAAAHHGGHH!!!  SO ANGRY!!!   :boom   :explosion

*Charline stands back... hiding the Popple she just bought*  Oooo... thank goodness I didn't show him what I bought him for Christmas..  :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Netrogo

*Runs a hand along his chest and looks couriously as the blood trickles through his fingers to the floor, then looks up towards Charles* Strike a nerve did I?

Rafe

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 09, 2007, 06:06:25 PM
I don't read it (and don't really intend to :U) - do you mean the colouring is all done physically as well?

I'd explain first that the art in Jack changes with the story arc.  Out of something like 35 arcs, one of the earliest was colored in Photoshop.  Another portion of one was done that way because he wanted it to have a "cartoony" look (yes, some stories in Jack are actually funny.)  Some are color, some just line-art, some are black and white/gray-scale, and one is black and white except for the red of blood.  But except for the two, all of the coloring is done by hand with Prismacolor markers.

And Goatmon, yeah, you're right about two years of his yet-to-be published work being stolen.  I guess I was thinking about his published Jack artwork, which wasn't with the stolen stuff.   I feel really stupid for forgetting that.  Nothing is safe from a dirtbag willing to steal whatever form you have you art in. 

But anyway, the all-time masterpiece of hand coloring I've ever seen was done by Amber.  It also looked like it was lost - it disappeared in the mail about the time Amber graduated and moved, but showed up weeks later.  It was
- Chibis Vs. Reworks -
Rafe

Alondro

Quote from: Netrogo on December 09, 2007, 07:13:41 PM
*Runs a hand along his chest and looks couriously as the blood trickles through his fingers to the floor, then looks up towards Charles* Strike a nerve did I?

*Charline nods*  Yes, I'd say it's rather subtle, but there is a certain impression that Charles does indeed hate the Popples.

Oh, and I've called a doctor to help with all those stab wounds... 

*a yellow-eyed gray fox Cubi with a huge needle appears from around the corner*   :U
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

patchwork cat

Hmmmm
Well it doesn't say End Of Part One, so maybe all that was just the Prologue?

Naldru

What if Amber has one for each of the seasons.  In that case, winter would probably be the really depressing one and we would only be through one-fourth of the story.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Magic

Quote from: Alondro on December 09, 2007, 09:54:51 PM
*a yellow-eyed gray fox Cubi with a huge needle appears from around the corner*

A rule; you do not compel me to do things. Especially if they're one of those chores that you can do yourself.

As for Abel's Story in print, I'm rather more interested in Amber's plans for Mikelo (and co) to debut into a new comic strip after Abel's Story is finished than having Abel's Story in print. As much as the story is a good read; I'm (admittedly) looking for less plot and more slapstick humor. (Another reason is the prospect of seeing more of the Mabsland characters taking up roles.) Though, it really depends on how much the print is going for, and availability/shipping.

However, as she said, it's going to take a while before Amber seriously considers it.

Lastly, I don't think you'll see much of me, or at all, in Abel's Story. More likely the latter, but depends.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

rabid_fox

Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 09, 2007, 01:13:31 AM
...in a cold cell of an unfamiliar dungeon, covered in your own blood.

That's about as low as you get, yeah.

I'm looking forward to part two, though. I imagine we'll get to see more of Abel's early days in SAIA. Perhaps even the infamous library incident.  >:3

Only if the dungeon is in Crewe and (this is important) you're told that it's in Crewe.

Oh dear.

Sunblink

Quote from: Aurawyn on December 09, 2007, 11:03:05 AM
Quote from: Netrogo on December 09, 2007, 10:46:33 AM
An Abel, Dan, or Wildy plushie would be awesome too...

I wouold buy an Abel Plushie in a heartbeat!

You and me both, sister. :3

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Brunhidden

i would only buy plushies if i could get a complete, or mostly complete set.

then i would put DMFA puppet theater on youtube, because that would be liquid awesome
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

e_voyager

ah a collection. i know how you feel. i too collect as well.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on December 10, 2007, 12:49:16 PM
i would only buy plushies if i could get a complete, or mostly complete set.

then i would put DMFA puppet theater on youtube, because that would be liquid awesome

Now -that-, I'd pay for. ;-]

Tapewolf

Have you considered using cardboard cutouts from the strips?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

Quote from: rabid_fox on December 10, 2007, 11:27:57 AM
Quote from: Cogidubnus on December 09, 2007, 01:13:31 AM
...in a cold cell of an unfamiliar dungeon, covered in your own blood.

That's about as low as you get, yeah.

I'm looking forward to part two, though. I imagine we'll get to see more of Abel's early days in SAIA. Perhaps even the infamous library incident.  >:3

Only if the dungeon is in Crewe and (this is important) you're told that it's in Crewe.

An epicure dining at Crewe,
Found a rather large mouse in his stew.
Said the waiter, "Don't shout,
And wave it about!
Or the rest'll be wantin one too!"

:3

Sunblink

"Hi. I'm Daniel Ti'Fiona."
"And I am Mab!"
"Let's go bother Abel."
"Righto!"
"I am Abel, the angsty Incubus."

I couldn't think of a creative parody for the "I am Snape, the potions master" line. :<

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on December 10, 2007, 05:23:10 PM

"And I am Mab!"
"Let's go bother Abel."
"Righto!"

I couldn't think of a creative parody for the "I am Snape, the potions master" line. :<

~Keaton the Black Jackal

"Quick, let's go bother Fa'Lina!"

Netrogo

"And I am Mab!"
"Let's go bother Abel."
"Righto!"

~Keaton the Black Jackal

You forgot the "Bother, bother, bother, bother, bother...."

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Netrogo on December 10, 2007, 05:26:31 PM

"And I am Mab!"
"Let's go bother Abel."
"Righto!"

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Also Dumbeldore's Naked Time!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on December 10, 2007, 04:25:29 PM
An epicure dining at Crewe,
Found a rather large mouse in his stew.
Said the waiter, "Don't shout,
And wave it about!
Or the rest'll be wantin one too!"

There was a young maiden from Crewe
who was sunning herself at the zoo
The monkeys and apes
were all agape
and the ones in the cages were too.

/improvisation

Dannysaysnoo

Sunblink

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on December 10, 2007, 05:30:48 PM
Quote from: Netrogo on December 10, 2007, 05:26:31 PM

"And I am Mab!"
"Let's go bother Abel."
"Righto!"

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Also Dumbeldore's Naked Time!

In this case, wouldn't it be Fa'Lina's? Since someone has to be the headmaster of Hogwarts/SAIA...

I'm really thinking too much into casting. :U I've sold my soul... to humorous puppetry.

~Keaton the Black Jackal