Chipmunks...

Started by Alondro, December 12, 2007, 02:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

Quote from: Alondro on December 17, 2007, 10:49:43 AM
I can't say it surprises me.  Number one is "I Am Legend", yet another mutant-virus-kills-almost-everyone.  It's an "Omega Man" remake mixed with a bit of "28 Days Later".  I don't care how well written or acted it is, the fact remains that it's utterly unorgininal, and uses a plot that's so cliche as to become comical in the past decade, ie "Shawn of the Dead"
"Omega Man" was a remake of the original "I Am Legend", made in 1954.

Alondro

Quote from: BillBuckner on December 17, 2007, 10:51:16 AM
Quote from: Alondro on December 17, 2007, 10:49:43 AM
I can't say it surprises me.  Number one is "I Am Legend", yet another mutant-virus-kills-almost-everyone.  It's an "Omega Man" remake mixed with a bit of "28 Days Later".  I don't care how well written or acted it is, the fact remains that it's utterly unorgininal, and uses a plot that's so cliche as to become comical in the past decade, ie "Shawn of the Dead"
"Omega Man" was a remake of the original "I Am Legend", made in 1954.

And that makes my point even better!  Enough with the damn zombie movies already!  Unless.. we have a movie showing things from the zombie's POV... Zombies have feelings too!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

bill

zombies were awesome in the Xbox 360 game "Dead Rising"

Brunhidden

the only problem i have with most zombie features or games is they arent realistic- its just BAM, zombies, and lots of contrived plot devices and people who do incredibly stupid things.

take the approach from 'the zombie survival guide' and 'world war z' and do it realistically. for instance, theyre zombies, they cant figure out how to open a damned doorknob and cant muster the ability to climb a ladder. why run screaming and bypass many good weapons in order to lock yourself into a place with many glass windows when you could just run up some stairs.

other then that i like zombies, and i now like the critics for despising the chipmunks.

whats really the point of making a movie 'for little kids' when your using characters designed to attract people who were kids in the 80s? its like if they had made the transformers movie a small children's flick where nobody gets injured and the guns shoot NERF
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Alondro

Speaking of the "Transformers", there's a new series of them on Cartoon Network.  The animation looks pretty bad.  It's a very sad thing when 20-year-old TV animation looks better than the modern product.   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Kenji

Quote from: Alondro on December 17, 2007, 01:25:24 PM
Speaking of the "Transformers", there's a new series of them on Cartoon Network.  The animation looks pretty bad.  It's a very sad thing when 20-year-old TV animation looks better than the modern product.   :<

Yeah, they look like a half-assed style of Teen Titans.
And that's saying something.

Alondro

Quote from: Kenji on December 17, 2007, 01:26:43 PM

Seriously.  They're friggin robots.  These things look... squishy.   L:

Kenji

Quote from: Alondro on December 17, 2007, 01:39:06 PM
Quote from: Kenji on December 17, 2007, 01:26:43 PM

Seriously.  They're friggin robots.  These things look... squishy.   L:

And what's with the random animal girl? Or whatever the hell she was. I couldn't tell, it was drawn so bad...

superluser

Quote from: Alondro on December 17, 2007, 10:49:43 AMI can't say it surprises me.  Number one is "I Am Legend", yet another mutant-virus-kills-almost-everyone.  It's an "Omega Man" remake mixed with a bit of "28 Days Later".  I don't care how well written or acted it is, the fact remains that it's utterly unorgininal, and uses a plot that's so cliche as to become comical in the past decade, ie "Shawn of the Dead".

Actually, it was based on Richard Matheson's book, I Am Legend, which is pretty much the original modern Vampire novel (well, the first to come after Bram Stoker's), and the inspiration of the Zombie thriller.

So what you're looking at is the original--the first new vampire/zombie story of the 20th Century.  All the others were based off of it.  Night of the Living Dead was based off of it, so much so that Matheson called it a cornball interpretation.

The basic structure of the book (which I haven't read, but have heard multiple people discuss in detail) is that a disease has taken hold of all of the world, turning them into what appears to be vampires (craving blood, resistant to sunlight and garlic, the whole nine yards).

The main character, an immune man named Robert Neville, knows that there's no such thing as vampires, so he tries to come up with a scientific explanation for why everybody is behaving like that.

During the day, he goes around killing vampires.  This takes a toll on him, and he begins to show signs of insanity.  Does that make him crazy or is it a normal coping skill?  Is he a reliable narrator?

The most powerful part of the book is its ending:

At the end, Neville is captured by some of these creatures.  Unfortunately for Neville, some of these creatures are not vampires.  Some people have discovered a way to mitigate the disease, but they still look like vampires during the day.  So some of the `vampires' that Neville has been killing are in fact normal people who just look like vampires.

These other people now have to battle the illness, the vampires...and Robert Neville.  Robert Neville becomes a horror story that these people tell their children to watch out for.  And when they kill Neville, no truth will remain about his life--he will have become a legend.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Alondro

Meh, the best way to fix problems like that is to blow up the Earth!

Then nobody has to worry about who was a zombie and who wasn't!   :3

Brunhidden

this ones kinda hard to read so ill dictate.

"Hello in there... I'm here to deliver some food."

"Are you a zombie?"

"Are YOU?"

"Don't sass me, boy. Just answer the question."

"For heaven's sake, can't you tell? My voice isn't all rasping and sepulchral, now is it?"

"Yeah, well mine isn't always like that either, but-  uh, I mean..."

"Ah-HAH!"

"Nice going Larry. Now he's on to us."
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.