Morrowind videos - Secrets of Morrowind (30/11/2007)

Started by Tapewolf, November 19, 2007, 06:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

This is turning into something like an art thread, so I'll post links to the videos up here:

20/11/2007 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswSZyjFQv4  - The suicidal guard chase

25/11/2007 : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GMlxUrt0yKk - Mighty First ('Secrets' outtake)

30/11/2007 : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k-p3wpfaPb4 - Secrets of Morrowind documentary

I'd like to assemble a short video clip of something amusing happening in Morrowind.  Any suggestions on the software needed to achieve this?  It's important that the soundtrack be captured as well, although at a pinch I could record it separately and re-sync.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

FRAPS is probably your best bet. I believe it caps sound as well, but you may have to pay for it.

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 19, 2007, 06:15:19 PMI'd like to assemble a short video clip of something amusing happening in Morrowind.  Any suggestions on the software needed to achieve this?  It's important that the soundtrack be captured as well, although at a pinch I could record it separately and re-sync.

I found one that worked well for me, but I can't remember what it was...xvidcap.  Worked well enough for me.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on November 19, 2007, 11:29:14 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 19, 2007, 06:15:19 PMI'd like to assemble a short video clip of something amusing happening in Morrowind.  Any suggestions on the software needed to achieve this?  It's important that the soundtrack be captured as well, although at a pinch I could record it separately and re-sync.

I found one that worked well for me, but I can't remember what it was...xvidcap.  Worked well enough for me.

It has to work with Direct3D applications, since that's what Morrowind is doing, and preferably under Windows itself since it is still too slow to be playable under WINE (this may be an Antialiasing issue, I'll have to try it again).

I used ACA Capture Pro in the end.  Better send them some money now, since it did a reasonably decent job.  The actual capture quality could have been better though, probably a matter of choosing a better codec for the job.

Anyway, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EswSZyjFQv4

llearch n'n'daCorna

*snerk*

Yay for intelligent AI. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 20, 2007, 07:51:26 AM
Yay for intelligent AI. ;-]
I think the best bit is the way he watches them fall.  Morrowind's head-tracking system is always fun.

rt

*splutch* *splutch* *splutch*  :giggle
Mabey they were trying to build a body bridge to eventually reach you?  :erk

Tapewolf

Quote from: rt on November 20, 2007, 10:24:02 AM
*splutch* *splutch* *splutch*  :giggle
Mabey they were trying to build a body bridge to eventually reach you?  :erk

Firstly, there were only about three guards in the Pelagiad exterior , which is unfortunate as I could probably do this all day otherwise.  Maybe I should find somewhere nearby with a lot of guards and lure them to Pelagiad.

Secondly, corpses do not stack in that manner, which is unfortunate.  This was not the case in Serpent Isle, where I constructed a staircase out of corpses, fish and buckets full of blood:

Dannysaysnoo

I still think we need to see the Deus Ex Vandenburg Effect.

Extra Edit::: Just dug up my Hyper cam thing, and im trying to get it working. Ill tape the Effect later on, and get it posteramated.

Fuyudenki

Tapewolf

Quote from: Raist on November 20, 2007, 10:31:16 PM
that was hilarious.  Do more.

My command is your wish.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GMlxUrt0yKk

This was originally going to be a Jakob Pettersohn-type documentary about a bug I found in Morrowind, but the soundtrack didn't come out and I didn't feel like faking it, so I took the video track and turned it into a music video instead.

Dannysaysnoo

Awesome, 'specially the music. Great to finally see the notorious outlaw Dagoth ur in action.

A documentary would be fantastic for this kind of video, keep trying.

Tapewolf

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 25, 2007, 01:53:56 PM
A documentary would be fantastic for this kind of video, keep trying.

This is about two nights' worth of effort to make:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k-p3wpfaPb4

IMHO I think I've done a pretty good job of imitating Sir David Attenborough in his Life of Birds series.  This wasn't actually intentional.

techmaster-glitch

Tapewolf, you are a genius :)

"Some jumped-up little tart who thinks he can rebuild (whatever you said there, couldn't quite understand it)"
Still, that was hilarious :lol

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on November 30, 2007, 12:16:20 AM
Tapewolf, you are a genius :)

"Some jumped-up little tart who thinks he can rebuild (whatever you said there, couldn't quite understand it)"
Still, that was hilarious :lol

Thanks.  The word you are looking for is this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numidium

...read it quick before the book-burners nuke it.

llearch n'n'daCorna

*snerk*

The opening and closing music makes it, I think. ;-]

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Jakob PettersohnNote the way the legs are opening and closing as the floaty person rises in to the sky. The purpose behind this is unclear, but it may be some kind of mating signal.

Absolute highlight. Never laughed so hard in a while.

Tapewolf

In terms of footage, I think my favourite bit is where the orc occludes the sun.  I was dead lucky to capture his corpse rising - I've only seen that happen about three times in total.

There are a couple of goofs - I forgot to fade the door opening at Caldera, and there are some people inside the pawnbroker who haven't been bokked.  Overall, I've very happy with it - it was the most complex piece of video editing I've done so far.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I did note there were a few folks around who hadn't fallen over yet. I figured they were either auto-regen or unkillable or something.

... is it possible to kill -everything- in town? Down to the dogs and cats and things? ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 30, 2007, 12:18:01 PM
I did note there were a few folks around who hadn't fallen over yet. I figured they were either auto-regen or unkillable or something.
The lizard wasn't human or elf :P

Quote... is it possible to kill -everything- in town? Down to the dogs and cats and things? ;-]

Yes.  One of the refreshing things about this game is that there doesn't seem to be anyone who's actually unkillable, apart from Dagoth Ur (the enemy one) and it's even possible to kill him if you can do enough damage in a single blow.

Dannysaysnoo

Thats what i like about The Elder Scrolls, no one really gives a flying toss. I killed Suran's Slave driver, and people were still telling me to go find him for info! Word really doesn't get around fast.