Previous topic - Next topic

Faerie Alex

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 08, 2007, 03:37:33 PM
I don't get why the Yellow trucks have orange logos. :B
Yeah, that one always bothered me too.
Jeez I need to update this thing.

bill

Wiki!
QuoteIn 1929, A.J. Harrell enlisted the help of the E.I. Dupont Company to improve highway safety by determining the vehicle color that would be the most visible on the nation's highways. After the review was completed, it was determined that the color of the swamp holly berry would be most visible from the greatest distance. Swamp Holly Orange became the color used on all company tractors.

xHaZxMaTx

Because lights aren't noticeable enough, apparently.

bill

thegayhare

All I've seen lately are trucks full of god

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: thegayhare on November 08, 2007, 05:00:53 PM
For some reason, that scares me.

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: thegayhare on November 08, 2007, 05:00:53 PM

Wait, how can something be full of a unseen deity?

Tapewolf

Quote from: dannysaysnoo on November 08, 2007, 06:02:30 PM
Wait, how can something be full of a unseen deity?

God is omnipresent, therefore part of Him must be in the truck?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

bill

M

Quote from: BillBuckner on November 08, 2007, 06:31:02 PM
He probably is talking about -image of G.O.D truck-

I would've loved witnessing the meeting when they came up with that. XD

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: BillBuckner on November 08, 2007, 04:14:05 PM
Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 08, 2007, 04:12:51 PM
In the year 1929.

Oh, right, lights weren't invented, yet, in 1929, how silly of me.

Naldru

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 08, 2007, 07:45:20 PM
Quote from: BillBuckner on November 08, 2007, 04:14:05 PM
Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 08, 2007, 04:12:51 PM
In the year 1929.

Oh, right, lights weren't invented, yet, in 1929, how silly of me.
First off, the headlights point forward, so they only provide limited help to cars approaching from the side.  What if the truck is disabled by the side of the road, and the lights aren't working. You would be absolutely amazed at what people overlook at night.  (The proverbial car that came out of nowhere.)

My personal feeling is that anything that increases visibility is good.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

xHaZxMaTx

Then why don't they just put reflective tape on the whole thing? :P

Faerie Alex

'Cuz then they'd blind passing motorists at night?
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Naldru

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 08, 2007, 09:58:10 PM
Then why don't they just put reflective tape on the whole thing? :P
Actually,  I have seen a number of trucks with reflective tape.

A big user of reflective devices is the United States military since their trucks are painted in camouflage colors.  When running them in convoys in the United States, they have reflective strips that they can attach to the trucks to make them more visible.

There are many things that can be done to increase visibility.  Why not do all of them to increase it even further.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

xHaZxMaTx

Naldru

Sorry, I guess it comes from being an engineer.  I also have a little "hot button" when it comes to safety devices and signage.

bill

Safety orange (and it's retarded cousin, chartreuse yellow) are pretty much as close as you can get to having the entire truck be reflective. I believe Allied Van Lines and Schneider also have orange trucks.

xHaZxMaTx

I'd completely forgotten about Allied, but I did remember United.  What does that say about your 'safety' orange? :P

bill

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on November 09, 2007, 08:20:06 AM
I'd completely forgotten about Allied, but I did remember United.  What does that say about your 'safety' orange? :P
United Van Lines is putting the safety of our children in jeopardy.    :cry

xHaZxMaTx

They have yellow reflective tape/paint.  United trucks are some of the biggest, flashiest trucks I've seen, anyway.

This isn't even close to being the biggest cab I've seen.

Lookit all the lights! :3

bill

My favorite van livery is this one.

Freaking beautiful. Mayflower has good ones too.

xHaZxMaTx

I wonder if Bill watches Trick My Truck. :.

Tigerskunk

I love to see the Simon Transportation inc. trucks with "Sweet Simon" on the side of the trailers. To bad they where bought out.  :mowsad

Sweet Simon was a skunk similar to Flower holding a sign that said "sweet Simon", and the trucks where all black and chrome.  :mowhappy

I never was able to get a picture of them, and now that there gone I miss them.  Before they where bought out you could get jackets, caps and keychains with the image.

I miss him.  :grave

:edit:
found a die cast of the trucks. http://www.littlebigtrucks.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/10653/subcatid/24282/id/276501

AnizInDisguise

This topic has gotten very oddly scary, and I don't get why. 0_o

Maybe it's because you people have so much interest in trucks.....

ShiningShadow

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on November 09, 2007, 10:28:41 PM
This topic has gotten very oddly scary, and I don't get why. 0_o

Maybe it's because you people have so much interest in trucks.....

Yep Truck's and Monster Truck destroying those import cars my fave is Truckzilla with flames and all *YEHAWWWWW*

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Tigerskunk on November 09, 2007, 09:35:29 PM
I love to see the Simon Transportation inc. trucks with "Sweet Simon" on the side of the trailers.

Oh yeah, I remember those.

Naldru

I mostly see England and G.O.D. trucks around here.  However, for the people outside the United States, I don't know if you have ever seen the Wienermobile.  I saw it near my house about a year ago.  Now there's an unusually decorated truck.  Here are some more pictures.

AnizInDisguise

Oh my god, the Wienermobile...

*shudders*

There was no candy in that thing.....

Reese Tora

I mostly see Albertsons trucks, because thier Orange County distribution center is just down the street from my office... more often there's generic trucks and trailers, or box-trucks from "local" farms entering the complex, and thier liveried trucks leaving, and very few long-haul trucks (ie: those with an extended cab with sleeping compartment) to be seen.

It's in the middle of an area with lots of office and warehouse stuff (Wester Digital and Kyocera are also within a block of my office :3 ) so there's always a certain amount of that sort of traffic
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation