10/27/07 [#44] - Our panels are tall so the characters don't have to be!

Started by stiletto, October 27, 2007, 09:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiletto

I like Jig's dress. It's all green and fuzzy and stuff. And she seems to have healed up.

...and does the sign behind them say you'll see their ad thousands of times a day?  :mwaha
What is that a poster for?

superluser

Quote from: stiletto on October 27, 2007, 09:03:22 PM...and does the sign behind them say you'll see their ad thousands of times a day?  :mwaha

Future donation campaigns.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: superluser on October 27, 2007, 09:34:26 PM
Quote from: stiletto on October 27, 2007, 09:03:22 PM...and does the sign behind them say you'll see their ad thousands of times a day?  :mwaha

You know how hard it is to do product placement in the 41st century? All that time travel... :B

But hey, Vince isn't dumb, and putting a few posters on the walls breaks up the monotony anyway. The show 'just' had its season premiere, after all, and in a place where cameras are running 24/7, it doesn't leave room for commercial breaks.

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's almost tempting to fork out for an advert for some other webcomic. Or perhaps something else. Like, say, Ovalkwik... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

stiletto

Are the cameras really following them around 24/7? I thought the airtime they used was expensive.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 28, 2007, 01:39:39 AM
Quote from: superluser on October 27, 2007, 09:34:26 PM

You know how hard it is to do product placement in the 41st century? All that time travel... :B

But hey, Vince isn't dumb, and putting a few posters on the walls breaks up the monotony anyway. The show 'just' had its season premiere, after all, and in a place where cameras are running 24/7, it doesn't leave room for commercial breaks.

The Truman Show :B
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: stiletto on October 28, 2007, 12:56:24 PM
Are the cameras really following them around 24/7? I thought the airtime they used was expensive.

Cameras, yes. Live feeds, no. You -are- reading these strips, right? Remember the little yellow butterfly thingies? The ones that turn blue?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 28, 2007, 02:59:10 PM
Quote from: stiletto on October 28, 2007, 12:56:24 PM

Cameras, yes. Live feeds, no. You -are- reading these strips, right? Remember the little yellow butterfly thingies? The ones that turn blue?

Am I gonna have to draw them back in every now and then to remind you folks? ;)

stiletto

No, I hadn't forgotten about them... bu... I confused. What do they have airing then? Didn't they say a few comics ago to tune in next week?

Reese Tora

Quote from: stiletto on October 28, 2007, 04:43:40 PM
No, I hadn't forgotten about them... bu... I confused. What do they have airing then? Didn't they say a few comics ago to tune in next week?
ever watched survivor, big brother, the real world?

The cameras are running 24-7, multiple cameras, but only the choice footage is edited together for the final 1-hour weekly show. (which is actually only 40 minutes of footage after commercials)

Or, possibly, there are scheduled events that occur once a week at a set time but a continuous live feed outside the scheduled event times.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

stiletto

Quote from: Reese Tora on October 28, 2007, 05:03:44 PM
The cameras are running 24-7, multiple cameras, but only the choice footage is edited together for the final 1-hour weekly show. (which is actually only 40 minutes of footage after commercials)

I don't think that's it, because then they would have time for commercials, and wouldn't need to put posters up on the wall in the first place.

QuoteOr, possibly, there are scheduled events that occur once a week at a set time but a continuous live feed outside the scheduled event times.

Well now that would make sense though.

techmaster-glitch

Actually, I remember what it was. The cameras are rolling 24/7, but when not actually airing, they are on secruity feed. I'll find the comic that explains that if so requested.

xHaZxMaTx

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Reese Tora on October 28, 2007, 05:03:44 PM
Quote from: stiletto on October 28, 2007, 04:43:40 PM
ever watched survivor, big brother, the real world?

Or, possibly, there are scheduled events that occur once a week at a set time but a continuous live feed outside the scheduled event times.

Give that man a cardboard cookie.  :)

LR has one night a week of "Main Programming" (Shows, Executions, etc.) where everything hits the fan. The rest of the week is secondary shows, promos, hype, LR news, and 'LR Live', which is basically what we see in between Main Programming when there isn't anything better to watch (and is available either via In-Demand, or through streaming).  LR Live is essentially the security feed minus whatever gets censored out per the Vaeo Family's discretion (which isn't much).

Main Programming is so expensive to air because it's not only as close to live as is galactically feasible, they have to transmit it in a few hundred protocols in order to reach as much audience as possible, since they all vary broadly by star system, if not by planet. And when I mean protocols, I mean Native Translation (there's still several dozen languages persisting), various frequency bands, several sizes and ratios of resolution, Ability Programming for vision and sound thresholds, not to mention censorship levels...

Secondary Programming and LR Live, however, are under far fewer restrictions and can even be transmitted as is to a handful of compatible systems. Plus, they get to charge for LR Live while Main Programming is only heavily underwritten.

One of the 'unspoken' requirements for getting on the show was passable fluency in GET (Galactic English Terth). The reason it's accepted as widely as it is in intergalactic broadcasting is because of the sheer volume of transmissions from that planet over the past couple thousand years.