brain implants

Started by gh0st, October 20, 2007, 01:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gh0st

ok so i've been thinking for a while and looking at what implants are percieved as being used for such as extra memory or possibly more computing power. then i realized just how close to my computer i actually am and i realised that i don't have much to my name without it. like music, art, information, friends, theories of global destruction, and most inportantly praticly everything i would ever want to learn...

then i just connected the dots. we have computers now that are more powerfull then computers ten years ago and they are the size of your palm or even smaller. heck we can get a music player thats smaller than the earphones we use. i was reading somewhere that this guy that totted around everywhere and even made it possible to use it while walking, he had to take it off while going through an airport security thingy and immediately he started to slurr speech and he couldn't remember a thing. then i read that my generation is using computers as a primary storage device other than our brains... that really made it open that what we think of an implant is slightly off, implants dont exactly have to be connected to our brain or our body in order for them to be freaking efficient at anything.

Jim Halisstrad

Even so, I'm still holding out for my Neural Shunt.

RobbieThe1st

Well, while its an interesting idea, I definitely don't want to rely on one: Just think the havoc a simple virus could cause, or even something as simple as an EMP. Or, even being away from a source of electricity for more than a few hours, as then your Lithium-Ion battery runs down.
As you said, the guy removed his computer for what... 5 minutes? and it starts causing problems. When you are *that* Dependant on a computer, you have major problems.

That being said, I see no problem at all with a receiver that allows me to directly 3d-draw whatever I have in my mind at the time. That would be awesome.
However, I would be very afraid of using some device which sends signals to my brain directly, unless I knew every single bit of code on it, and exactly how it works. Also, a time-kill switch would be good, so if you got too caught up, you would be jolted back to reality after a bit.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Arcalane

Quote from: gh0st on October 20, 2007, 01:18:56 AMthat really made it open that what we think of an implant is slightly off, implants dont exactly have to be connected to our brain or our body in order for them to be freaking efficient at anything.

No, but try looking up the definition of implant in a dictionary sometime. It has to be inside you to be properly classified as an implant. :B

Alondro

I'm waiting for quantum computing semi-organic implants.

Then I shall assimilate everyone!  You will all become one with the Charles.   :veryevil
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Alondro on October 20, 2007, 10:02:42 AM
You will all become one with the Charles.   :veryevil
DEAR GODS HELP US ALL!! D: D: D: D: D: D:

Turnsky

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 20, 2007, 11:12:41 AM
Quote from: Alondro on October 20, 2007, 10:02:42 AM
You will all become one with the Charles.   :veryevil
DEAR GODS HELP US ALL!! D: D: D: D: D: D:

it could be worse

One with the charline.  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

techmaster-glitch

Well, that might not be too bad...being one with a sexy succubus, even a horrible sadistic one... :shifty

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 20, 2007, 12:06:08 PM
Well, that might not be too bad...being one with a sexy succubus, even a horrible sadistic one... :shifty

I think Charline's idea of you 'becoming one' with her involves having your body and soul annihilated and the energy that they once consisted of being used to fuel her evil existence.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

Oh, right...that's probably what 'assimilate' by her definition means...damn.

Zedd

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 20, 2007, 12:12:11 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 20, 2007, 12:06:08 PM

I think Charline's idea of you 'becoming one' with her involves having your body and soul annihilated and the energy that they once consisted of being used to fuel her evil existence.
And thats something I DONT want

gh0st

while i realise that this goes off topic i will at least make some attempt to bring it back...

kids my age all around the United states, you've seen the horrible cookie cutter image of them never coming away from their computers or their phones right? but really what are they using the computer for, my dad who is 45 i believe he can remember a telephone number beter than i can but i could probably get it faster by just going to whitepages.com. basically what i'm saying is that my generations brain has basicly adabted to use computers as a tool that will allow it to become greater than my fathers generation. it's basically doing what an implant would do except it's not biologically connected... yet.

Brunhidden

dosent anyone remember when the palm pilot first came out? for many people those were literally their brain. we have entered a world where if someone looses their blackberry/cellphone/PDA they literally have no idea what their home phone number, wifes birthday, or address is.

also, in frightening realization is that a microchip capable of translating between nerve impulses and binary code already exists, popping one in the base of your neck to hide your extra 'brain' is only the next step.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.