[Art] Tezkat: Tezkat Artz

Started by Tezkat, October 09, 2007, 12:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tezkat

I finally got sick of using the silly mow suit avatar (which I drew as a joke way back when I first joined the forums at Nice and never bothered replacing). So I used my Thanksgiving free time to draw a new me. Or rather, me as Edge (who, coincidentally enough, looks exactly like me :3). He's sporting a white-suited mobster look for clubbing at the Red Sands.

I've been experimenting with some new colouring techniques. (Why oh why do I torture myself with black fur? :animesweat) My skills still leave a lot to be desired, but I kinda like how it turned out, so I thought I'd share a slightly larger version:

Ain't I a handsome devil Incubus? >:] Constructive comments/criticism welcome! :mowcookie

For the curious, the pendant on his necklace depicts the symbol of the Kh'rono Clan. That's not actually what Edge wears in game, but I thought y'all might want to see what it looked like. The orientation shown here is the more standard one that appears on his Warp-Aci's forehead. Rotate it 120 degrees clockwise to see how it looks as Edge's clan marking.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Kenji

Its back from the dead! With arts!
Quick! Someone get that nickelodeon clap machine from McDonalds!

Nice, by the way. It reminds me of an anthro blonde disco Ichigo Kurisaki.

Tapewolf

I like it.  Truth be told I'm not quite sure about the single tooth, and the ear-piercings could be a problem (since 'Cubi tend to regenerate), but those are very minor quibbles.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

techmaster-glitch

The one-toothed fang is a good look. And in regards to earrings, I would be shocked if Cubi couldn't control their own regeneration in that respect.

But, I think it's cool, Tezkat. He looks awsome, in my opinion. Your skill leaves alot to be desired? Whatever you say...but I don't think I'd ever be able to do something like that...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 09, 2007, 12:45:06 PM
I like it.  Truth be told I'm not quite sure about the single tooth, and the ear-piercings could be a problem (since 'Cubi tend to regenerate), but those are very minor quibbles.

Normal ear piercings on people who -don't- regenerate also grow back over. I'd just it just happens faster with 'Cubi. As long as they keep putting a ring into it every day, or keep the rings in there, it should be fine.

Alternatively, he just goes to the effort of piercing it every six months or a year, in the same way most folks get a haircut every so often.

It's a good pic, though as Tape says, I'm not so sure about the one-toothed look...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tezkat

Quote from: Kenji on October 09, 2007, 12:43:38 PM

Oh great... now I have an urge to try drawing him in shinigami garb. More black on black. Curse you! :mowtongue

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 09, 2007, 12:45:06 PM

Actually, Edge's earrings are morph artifacts. He hasn't worn real ones regularly since his pirate days. In fact, his abilities are so heavily dependent on metamorphosis versatility that he prefers not to have any external objects or accessories on him at all. The only physical objects he regularly carries are pieces of clothing (which he can shape fairly easily as an innate talent) and cash (albeit only when he expects to have to pay for things).

As for the tooth thing... that started back when I sucked a lot more at art. With a character that was mostly black on black, it was extremely difficult to add any interesting facial details. So I always drew him with his fangs showing--growling, smiling with his mouth open, etc. With little showing except his eyes and fangs, that made him look all ebil, which was sort of a bonus. >:] So I've kept it as part of the character. If you look closely at the muzzle, it's actually a lopsided grin that's revealing his fang. He always bears a fang (or two, or lots...) when he smiles. I even considered it an interesting enough trait to write a little side plot about it in his backstory.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 09, 2007, 01:06:34 PM
But, I think it's cool, Tezkat. He looks awsome, in my opinion. Your skill leaves alot to be desired? Whatever you say...but I don't think I'd ever be able to do something like that...

Thanks. All artists are required to think our own art sucks. It's in the job description. :3

Kenji

Quote from: Tezkat on October 09, 2007, 01:26:58 PM
Quote from: Kenji on October 09, 2007, 12:43:38 PM

Oh great... now I have an urge to try drawing him in shinigami garb. More black on black. Curse you! :mowtongue

Snap, fashion hate crimes!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on October 09, 2007, 01:26:58 PM
Actually, Edge's earrings are morph artifacts. He hasn't worn real ones regularly since his pirate days. In fact, his abilities are so heavily dependent on metamorphosis versatility that he prefers not to have any external objects or accessories on him at all. The only physical objects he regularly carries are pieces of clothing (which he can shape fairly easily as an innate talent) and cash (albeit only when he expects to have to pay for things).

So the locket thing is part of him too?  The clan-mark would appear on his chest otherwise?

QuoteIf you look closely at the muzzle, it's actually a lopsided grin that's revealing his fang. He always bears a fang (or two, or lots...) when he smiles.  I even considered it an interesting enough trait to write a little side plot about it in his backstory.

I see it now... it wasn't visible on the LCD.  Wondered if that might be the case... anyway, yeah - a lot of Jakob's backstory was ultimately rooted in the fact that Blade drew him with an evil, slightly crooked smile that no-one else has really been able to replicate since...

Tezkat

Quote from: Kenji on October 09, 2007, 01:33:22 PM
Snap, fashion hate crimes!

I'm innocent, I tell you! The cute little kitty did it! >:]

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 09, 2007, 01:37:24 PM
So the locket thing is part of him too?  The clan-mark would appear on his chest otherwise?

His clan marking is on his right wing. When in Being (or otherwise wingless) form, it appears across his shoulder blade. As I indicated above, the clan symbol medallion isn't actually part of his outfit, since he doesn't want to announce his affiliations to everyone. I drew it here because I needed some more detail on his necklace and haven't posted a picture of the symbol yet. It's meant to suggest an evil eye or a bladed wing (or possibly grasping claws) depending on the viewing angle, but that's pretty tough to visualize without actually seeing it. I must have gone through a least a hundred designs before finally settling on that one... :animesweat

QuoteI see it now... it wasn't visible on the LCD.  Wondered if that might be the case... anyway, yeah - a lot of Jakob's backstory was ultimately rooted in the fact that Blade drew him with an evil, slightly crooked smile that no-one else has really been able to replicate since...

That's something I always worry about when colouring black characters. :< Make them too light, and they don't look black anymore, but a lot of detail can be lost on some people's displays if you go too dark. I now have a fairly bright LCD as my primary Photoshop monitor (even brighter than the massive Trinitron it replaced), so that probably influences how I colour things. It's also another good reason for adding high-luminance features like the fang(s).

Tapewolf

Here's a question - what's the hair do around the back of his head?  I notice it doesn't carry on down the back like mine (and Jakob's).  Is it just a yellow blob on the very top of his head, or does it go into a ponytail or what?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Now -there's- a truly clever way to disguise a clan mark - make it look like it's on a chain, or a brooch, or something. Sneaky. Much admiration.

... remind me never to turn my back on you, you're too imaginative. ;-]

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 09, 2007, 02:07:30 PM
Now -there's- a truly clever way to disguise a clan mark - make it look like it's on a chain, or a brooch, or something. Sneaky. Much admiration.
I'm not sure it would work, personally.  It wouldn't move and it would only work if the mark is in a convenient place to do that.  One on your finger might work as a ring, though.

Quote... remind me never to turn my back on you, you're too imaginative. ;-]
As long as it's being used for the forces of good, there's nothing to worry about  >:3

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 09, 2007, 01:59:34 PM
Here's a question - what's the hair do around the back of his head?  I notice it doesn't carry on down the back like mine (and Jakob's).  Is it just a yellow blob on the very top of his head, or does it go into a ponytail or what?

It's a relatively short hairstyle. The bangs are the longest part, and it gets shorter towards the back. Depending on his head position, some of the back will show through behind his ears, but it's covered here. Hairstyle isn't really a fixed feature of the character (the way, say, the fangs are), though I to tend to draw him with a central lock falling down between his eyes and then build the rest of the hair around it, regardless of length and style. At the beginning of the Northern Winds RP, he had a ponytail. He was doing the warrior-for-hire thing at the time, and ponytails seem to be "in" among Adventurers. I seem to recall wearing it a bit long and bishie during the SAIA RP as well. Other times depend on mood and style. :3

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 09, 2007, 02:07:30 PM

... remind me never to turn my back on you, you're too imaginative. ;-]

I don't see how that would "disguise" a clan mark--at least not any more than say, morphing a t-shirt or whatever for it to appear on. The point of hiding a clan mark would be to prevent people from recognizing it as a Cubi clan symbol, no? Otherwise, it's just a funny tattoo, and those aren't so uncommon.

Zedd

You know....You oddly look alot like my brother...Even if minus the red eyes

Tezkat

Quote from: Zedd on October 09, 2007, 03:38:45 PM
You know....You oddly look alot like my brother...Even if minus the red eyes

Yay! Blond panthers are cool! I won't hold the red eyes against him. >:]

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 09, 2007, 01:59:34 PM

Hmm... I've thought some more on the hair issue...

Edge's bangs usually start out much closer to the front. I tried something different this time--partly to make it easier to try out the new hair colouring technique. Most of the locks now originate at a central whorl farther back on the top of his head. It also means that his hair is somewhat longer than originally planned, which suggests that there should be more all around (including in back). Couple that with the high contrast between the blond hair and black fur (especially in depth of shading), and I can see how it might create the impression that there's "just a yellow blob on the very top of his head". That's not a good thing, so...

A minute of Photoshopping later, and I've now got hair falling to the collar: :3

Is this version "better" than the original? I think this tiny edit may constitute an improvement, since it's now clear that the hair is a contiguous system that doesn't just float on top of his head. That little hint of hair still leaves the actual style back there to the imagination--it could stop at the neck line, get bunched into a ponytail, or whatever--but it might do a better job of satisfying viewer expectations about how hair is supposed to look. Little things like that can sometimes create large differences in perception.

What do you think?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on October 09, 2007, 04:54:22 PM
Is this version "better" than the original? I think this tiny edit may constitute an improvement, since it's now clear that the hair is a contiguous system that doesn't just float on top of his head.

Yes, I'd definitely go for that over the original.

Zedd

Course anyone knows my dear half brother is a feline incubus

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on October 09, 2007, 02:41:14 PM
I don't see how that would "disguise" a clan mark--at least not any more than say, morphing a t-shirt or whatever for it to appear on. The point of hiding a clan mark would be to prevent people from recognizing it as a Cubi clan symbol, no? Otherwise, it's just a funny tattoo, and those aren't so uncommon.

The idea is not just make it into a brooch, but to add bits and/or mask other bits by hanging a partial necklace over it. If you get it right, it'd change the image entirely.

You just have to be clever about how you do it, in order to make it look, well, both natural and unnatural, if you get my drift. ;-]

xHaZxMaTx

Oh yeah, that revised version with the added hair looks much better.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Indeed, the edit is good.

As for initial thoughts, I rather like the picture. While something about the shading in the left side of the face seems somehow off, it also look fantastic in the concept of all the elements you picked up. I think it's that the facial highlight is slightly skewed. Like the flow from the muzzle to the cheek is off, so the face looks sort of flat.
On a more positive note, the hair looks awesome. Almost as if you had coloured it with pencils. Even better yet, skilled Prisma-ing!  :U

...yeah. the edit makes it look like the hair is actually attatched to his head. Not some random floating... toupée.

Tezkat

Thanks for the feedback, guys! My avatar now has better hair. :3

Quote from: Sienna Maiu - M T on October 09, 2007, 10:37:45 PM
Indeed, the edit is good.

As for initial thoughts, I rather like the picture. While something about the shading in the left side of the face seems somehow off, it also look fantastic in the concept of all the elements you picked up. I think it's that the facial highlight is slightly skewed. Like the flow from the muzzle to the cheek is off, so the face looks sort of flat.

Hmm... I see what you mean...

Okay... how's this?

I tried to improve the cheek texture and add more definition to his jaw. I think it's less "flat" that way. I honestly don't have a very good eye for shadows yet (and I haven't even attempted an explicit highlight layer for anything except the hair sheen). I've mostly been sticking them wherever and trying to distract you guys with pretty hair and fur textures. >:]

I also brightened the base fur colour slightly. I'd be curious to know how many people have displays on which the picture is still too dark to see details in heavily shaded areas of the picture (like the muzzle or ears).

QuoteOn a more positive note, the hair looks awesome. Almost as if you had coloured it with pencils. Even better yet, skilled Prisma-ing!  :U

Thanks. Heh... I actually have zero skills in colouring with traditional media. I'm just faking it with a Wacom tablet + Photoshop's smudge tool. :animesweat

techmaster-glitch

:<

I need new glasses. I don't see any difference :< :<

xHaZxMaTx

There's not much of a difference, the highlights are just a bit lighter and the shading just to the (your) right of his mouth is a bit different.  Try having both the images loaded in two separate tabs in your browser and switch back and forth between the two.

Arcalane

Quote from: Tezkat on October 09, 2007, 01:26:58 PMand cash (albeit only when he expects to have to pay for things).

Because using Dominate Mind to avoid Docking Fees is the best thing ever. :U

Glitch; the difference is subtle, but noticeable if you look closely. It depends on your brightness/constrast/colour settings and such, though.

Zedd

He still looks like my brother :U

Tezkat

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 10, 2007, 01:12:19 PM

:<

I need new glasses. I don't see any difference :< :<

Well, you may have helped answer my earlier question about display issues. :3 It's not an insignificant problem. My old avatar orginally had all sorts of ugly construction lines that didn't show up on the machine I used to create it because the display was too dark. I didn't notice them until a few weeks later when I was back home browsing the forums on a different machine.

I do realize that a lot of these edits have been very subtle and nitpicky, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. After all, this avatar will be my forum identity until I bother to get a new one. If past experience is any indicator, that could be a while. :animesweat

Quote from: Arcalane on October 10, 2007, 03:16:03 PM
Quote from: Tezkat on October 09, 2007, 01:26:58 PMand cash (albeit only when he expects to have to pay for things).

Because using Dominate Mind to avoid Docking Fees is the best thing ever. :U

Heh. It's more that he doesn't actually need to buy stuff very often. As an Incubus with a Warp-Aci, he has no basic needs for food, clothing, equipment, transportation, or a place to sleep. So cash is just a plaything to him that he carries because it's something he can't conjure on demand when he needs to spend it. Even then, he usually just lets Ky (his Warp-Aci) handle his accounts and finances, but lately he's been spending a lot of time in Being guise and thus has been physically paying for more things himself.

Quote from: Zedd on October 10, 2007, 03:50:59 PM
He still looks like my brother :U

Blond panther club at SAIA? :kittycool

James StarRunner

Ah! Finally get to see your art! Good stuff! Nice to see you out of the mow outfit for a change. :3

Zedd

Dont worry...Im sure its normal seeing a blonde cat in SAIA

Tezkat

Quote from: James StarRunner on October 11, 2007, 12:17:07 PM
Ah! Finally get to see your art! Good stuff! Nice to see you out of the mow outfit for a change. :3

Hey! I've posted artz before... a long time ago... in a forum far, far away. :3 Of course, I'd just as soon see all that old crap killed with fire. >:]

I am admittedly a very bursty artist, though. I should probably find a few victims to art before I drop into another few months of artistic hibernation. :animesweat

Quote from: Zedd on October 11, 2007, 06:06:18 PM
Dont worry...Im sure its normal seeing a blonde cat in SAIA

Of course. I was one of them, after all. :animesweat Well... before dropping out to make a new life out of hunting dangerous Creatures for fun and profit souls. >:]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on October 13, 2007, 06:37:26 AM
Well... before dropping out to make a new life out of hunting dangerous Creatures for fun and profit souls. >:]

Whenabouts does this take place?  In my 'Chronicles of Jakob Pettersohn' series Jakob is trying to make a documentary about Creatures-turned-adventurer.

I was tempted to cameo James, but I thought he'd be too young.  Looking at it he'd be the same age as Dan, so I seem to have messed that up  :rolleyes