No, you can't have unsupervised minors at a con!

Started by Jigsaw Forte, October 07, 2007, 11:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigsaw Forte

Backstory: Every year around March, Georgia Tech's anime club (Anime-O-Tekku) sets up a FREE anime con. As in, The only people who get fleeced are the vendors, and they pay for everything else in retailing things like pocky and con shirts.

Last year, some assholes set off fireworks inside the building, and didn't get the hint after police found the first ones in the gaming rooms (you know, near all those shiny expensive consoles and TVs...), so it was shut down early on the last day and pissed a few folks off, especially the vendors.

Great Hallelujah News:
I found out today that for the next iteration of the con, they're barring every unsupervised minor under 16 at the door!

Of course, I tell this to a friend of mine, and the following convo ensues that he thinks there's going to be this big backlash from parents and crap about it... truth be told, I don't care, with the fireworks incident AND the whole  "We must protect the chillen's from the ZOMG ONLINE SEXUAL PREDATORS!" trend in the news lately, I think it makes total sense. (and it deals with a big chunk of the supervision/security issues, without charging $5 like I was kinda hoping they'd do)

So... does this in fact rock, or do you think we're going to get some major backlash from all the 13-year-olds who still think 4chan is cool?

Kuari

I think it's a smart idea.  Will it prevent an incident like this from happening again?  Rather unlikely, but possibly

Kenji

It'd be more fun to just catch em and stuff the bottle rockets where the sun don't shine. :3

Saist

but wait? How is Kenji going to get in the door if minors are not allowed?
(yes, that was a short joke)

Kenji

Quote from: je.saist on October 07, 2007, 02:54:38 PM
but wait? How is Kenji going to get in the door if minors are not allowed?
(yes, that was a short joke)

Look folks, its Daisy Duck. :P Bah television jokes.
I'll just have to save up, head to the con next time, and keep em in line. Anyone gets uppity, its flaming hoof to the caboose.

Faerie Alex

Makes me wonder...were the folks who set off the fireworks under 16?
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Jigsaw Forte on October 07, 2007, 11:42:06 AM
So... does this in fact rock,
yes
Quoteor do you think we're going to get some major backlash from all the 13-year-olds who still think 4chan is cool?
also yes, but who cares about them?

I do agree, though, I think they should have just started charging $5 instead.  It's cheap, especially as far as cons go.  It's not going to break you, and it'll filter out most of the troublemakers.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: modelincard on October 07, 2007, 03:08:09 PM
Makes me wonder...were the folks who set off the fireworks under 16?

If they'd found 'em, I could answer that.

I do kinda think it'd make security's job easier to suddenly have more adults at the con to keep the high school freshmen and the like in line, so it still helps.

Zedd

DarkAudit

Quote from: Zedd on October 07, 2007, 05:02:39 PM
Maybe people cant stand the LULZ

I wanted to send those "nigras" picketing AC a little further down Liberty Ave. to meet some real brothers.

Lulz, meet Glock.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Zedd

Quote from: DarkAudit on October 07, 2007, 05:21:19 PM
Quote from: Zedd on October 07, 2007, 05:02:39 PM
Maybe people cant stand the LULZ

I wanted to send those "nigras" picketing AC a little further down Liberty Ave. to meet some real brothers.

Lulz, meet Glock.
I second that theory....Im sure you seen the video where Uncle Kage was giving them a piece of his mind...

Kamunt

Quote from: Zedd on October 07, 2007, 05:35:35 PM
Quote from: DarkAudit on October 07, 2007, 05:21:19 PM
Quote from: Zedd on October 07, 2007, 05:02:39 PMMaybe people cant stand the LULZ

Lulz, meet Glock.
I second that theory....Im sure you seen the video where Uncle Kage was giving them a piece of his mind...
Link for :goodtimes, please? :boogie I wanna see it again, but I'm too lazy to find the link.

Alondro

I saw them.  They looked incredibly stupid.  But then, most protestors do.  These days, most of them don't even know what they're protesting.  They actually have groups of professional protestors whose job it is to protest whatever the people who hired them don't like.

Losers.

Though the even bigger losers are the ones who actually hire them.  Too lazy to protest for themselves. 

Oh, and minors should be banned from everywhere except the coal mines, where they shall be forced to work until they drop!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Valynth

Coal mines?  Honestly, they aren't skilled enough to qualify for that kind of job and machines run quieter!  They should be used as portable organ/blood storage units.
\evil
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Zedd

Zina

I like how people don't seem to understand why the "protesters" were there in the first place, or what they were trying to do.
They achieved their goal. :V

bill

I should go protest something amazingly inane, like a ceramics convention, or something.

Faerie Alex

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 07, 2007, 09:32:26 PM
I should go protest something amazingly inane, like a ceramics convention, or something.
Ceramics kills rocks! Down with ceramics!

I dunno, I could totally see you doing it. But count me out. :<
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Zedd

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 07, 2007, 09:32:26 PM
Dont shoot your eye out now..

Zina

If Bill manages to shoot his eye out at a ceramics convention, I will be impressed.

RobbieThe1st

Ya know, I bet the people who did these things were 16 or 17, which means this wont help a bit. :giggle

At least they don't have any problem with supervised children, which means that the 12-15 year olds will still be fine, so long as they have a parent/guardian/someone over 16 I guess with them.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Lushin

Hrmm that's why I don't go to anything free that is thrown unless it specifies now one under a certain age. I go to a con yearly and they have parents that bring their kids in, buy them badges and then leave. I saw a 13 year old kid that got thrown out a few years ago and had to wait outside the hotel for an hour for their parents to get him. He was thrown out for stealing from the venders and grabbing girls. I get to be security for the con this year and will keep an eye out for problems like this. Also always expect peolpe to screw things up if it's free without much staff. They think they can do what they what cause they will just walk back in if they get thrown out. Also I've seen people that are staying at the hotel the con is thrown in and think that gets them the right to attend the con. Cons that are free or not really need a security staff with atleast one person per event room. That way people will be less tempted to try something.
/happiness.exe
Command failure: Command unkown

Failure. Abort. Retry. Fail.