10/06/07 [Abel #101] - Again

Started by AndersW, October 05, 2007, 11:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

The comic reminded me of a Penny Arcade strip that I didn't read.

Kamunt

Quote from: Kasarn on October 06, 2007, 03:23:45 PMdoubleplusungood

I see what you did there. :mowninja

I don't even know what this obsession with Jack is, or who Jack even is. The only Jacks I know are Samurai Jack, Jack the Ripper, Jack Hammer, and Jack, my best friend's little brother with Down Syndrome.

Also, I agree with whoever said the scene where Devin get murdered and Abel hears his last thoughts is the worst of all. I'm pretty positive I was actually in tears when I first read that part...it was just so, so tragic and everything. ;_;

bill

You forgot 1980s baseball player Jack Clark.

DarkAudit

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 06, 2007, 05:37:21 PM
You forgot 1980s baseball player Jack Clark.

NOOO!!! My eyes!! The burning!!! D:
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Naldru

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 06, 2007, 04:39:09 PM
The comic reminded me of a Penny Arcade strip that I didn't read.
Because of what was in the strip or because you didn't read it?

Quote from: Stygian on October 06, 2007, 03:31:39 PM
I don't think that I can entirely overlook my general fear and loathing of 'cubi, but at least in Abel's case I'm willing to make an extremely generous compromise. Mostly so long as his comeuppance teaches him a valuable thing or two about his father's ways. And, more importantly, so long as he really, really earns that 'thorn in my side' comment from Fa'Lina. >:3
I really have to wonder how much of a thorn in Fa'lina's side Abel is.  Do you really think that Fa'lina would assign anybody as a roommate to Abel if she didn't feel that that individual was deserving of what Abel would likely do, either good or bad.  According to the cast page, Fa'lina views Abel fondly and Abel respects Fa'lina.

If there is anybody who really views Abel as a thorn in the side, I suspect that it is the SAIA librarian.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Kamunt

Quote from: BillBuckner on October 06, 2007, 05:37:21 PMYou forgot 1980s baseball player Jack Clark.

Gah! *forehead-smack* How could I have forgotten him!? Thanks for the save, Bill.

Tapewolf

I don't think that I can entirely overlook my general fear and loathing of 'cubi, but at least in Abel's case I'm willing to make an extremely generous compromise.

Now I'm curious.  Do you mean a general fear of Creatures, or is there something specific about 'Cubi?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Reese Tora

Quote from: lots of people*Drama about Jack*

Is it wrong that I was also reminded of Jack... not by any similarity of style or drama, but because Abel's eyes are getting smaller and smaller, and it reminded me of how all the dead (and going to hell) people in Jack have pinpoint eyes?

Considering how Abel's life is going to hell right now, it's certainly understandable one might make that link.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Zedd

Quote from: Reese Tora on October 06, 2007, 06:07:32 PM

Is it wrong that I was also reminded of Jack... not by any similarity of style or drama, but because Abel's eyes are getting smaller and smaller, and it reminded me of how all the dead (and going to hell) people in Jack have pinpoint eyes?

Considering how Abel's life is going to hell right now, it's certainly understandable one might make that link.
Nah..David has done far worse depressing issues stating than Amber has done way before her...Anyone rember Fnar?? Ha got you again Jackholics!!

Jigsaw Forte

Meh, I use it as a shock/stress indicator myself. Pupil constriction and all that.

If they were little more than dots of ink, I could see the corollary, but they're still distinctively colored and such.

Stygian

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 06, 2007, 05:54:55 PM
I don't think that I can entirely overlook my general fear and loathing of 'cubi, but at least in Abel's case I'm willing to make an extremely generous compromise.

Now I'm curious.  Do you mean a general fear of Creatures, or is there something specific about 'Cubi?

Plain and simple, Angels and Demons are bad due to the sheer amount of power they have, not to mention Dragons and Fae who are simply catastrophic. But 'Cubi? They are worse. They feast on emotions, which of course leads to many provoking pain, heartbreak, shame and desperation. They have natural abilities for deception and for getting into people's heads. That's very private territory, mind you. And they have the natural drive to use these abilities, it seems. So in effect, you could say that while all the other races settle for disrespecting life, peace, intellect and property, 'Cubi not only do that but they also go in for pain and humiliation. In effect, they add insult to injury.

And yes, I know that I am generalizing, but frankly I don't care. It is general enough that it works. In this case I am a racist, yes. And I need incontestable proof before I view one 'Cubi alone as someone good.

Alondro

*Charles thinks of another comic besides "Jack"!*  Ya know, this was kinda like that time in Sluggy, where there was death and mayhem and stuff, and the good guy was all sad and stuff.  And then, uhm, similar stuff to this happened.  Stuff.  Yes.   Non_jack realted stuff.  :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

candide

Quote from: Regal on October 06, 2007, 12:23:47 AM
Sad, but not horrible. What is she supposed to do? She's always been there for him, but both she and Abel may be realizing she can't save him.
I think that's in there...

Quote from: Reaver225 on October 06, 2007, 03:57:07 AM
1: Could be emotionally drained (not literally, but in shock after seeing Cid->Aniz and Henya chunks) and has stopped processing stuff (looks at Abel, fails to think of anything, stomach starts hurting again)

2: Possibly despairing of her own faliure towards not being able to protect Abel

...and that's a definite, too.

Remember, Aniz just told May to shut up, or she's dead.  She's powerless, and she knows it.  I think she's looking away from her son out of shame.  She can't help Abel, she can't do anything at this point, she's terrified ... and she's ashamed of it. 

Or, at least, that's my take on this week's strip.

candide

Quote from: Kamunt on October 06, 2007, 05:33:38 PM
Also, I agree with whoever said the scene where Devin get murdered and Abel hears his last thoughts is the worst of all. I'm pretty positive I was actually in tears when I first read that part...it was just so, so tragic and everything. ;_;

Yeah, I found that to be a very Yasui-letting-go-of-the-mast moment, too.

What?

You wanted a reference to a comic other than "Jack," no?  ;)

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 06, 2007, 03:12:44 PM
I'm not really expecting haters to become sympathisers. But I am hoping for some good old "Oh you wanted Abel to be miserable eh? WELL HERE YA GO! :U  Whats that? Not the way you wanted it?  BWAAHAHAHAAHAAHA!"

I am a shallow terrible being.

And one time I punched Zina in the face. It was aweseome. :3

Really? You both thought that was awesome? Well then, Amber, will you punch me in the face?

Rafe

Quote from: Goatmon on October 06, 2007, 04:36:57 PM
Quote from: Illusionist on October 06, 2007, 05:21:57 AM
This comic was so Jack, I half expected Drip to show up and start raping people.

Teehee.

Chibi Drip is too cute, and would never do such a thing.  Chibi Jack would stop him anyway.

Maybe we should get Amber to drop the usuall DMFA characters for a week or two, and replace them with her Jack character chibis.  Maybe then we'd get it all out of our system... nah.
Rafe

Illusionist

See? This guy understands that not every Jack reference is saying "Jack is all drama, all drama is Jack".

I can make an EGS reference involving no squirrels. I can make a Black Sabbath reference that doesn't involve Ozzy. I can even make a DMFA reference that doesn't involve cubi.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rafe on October 07, 2007, 12:38:16 AM
Chibi Drip is too cute, and would never do such a thing.  Chibi Jack would stop him anyway.

Oh dear.  I may have to kill Gabriel now for including someone else's character in the Unholy Radio Project strip that I'm hosting and not telling me so I can do the copyright attribution...

Quote from: Stygian on October 06, 2007, 08:48:55 PM
They feast on emotions, which of course leads to many provoking pain, heartbreak, shame and desperation. They have natural abilities for deception and for getting into people's heads. That's very private territory, mind you. And they have the natural drive to use these abilities, it seems.
Well, I can't really argue with that as a whole, aside from the fact that we've seen a very small cross-section close up, and that willingness to do evil is going to depend on the upbringing - you're less likely to do such stuff if you're brought up as a Being.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on October 06, 2007, 09:36:02 PM
Non_jack realted stuff.  :B

... so Jack is for sale? How do I contact the realtor?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

BeckyW

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 07, 2007, 05:45:42 AM
Oh dear.  I may have to kill Gabriel now for including someone else's character in the Unholy Radio Project strip that I'm hosting and not telling me so I can do the copyright attribution...

And don't forget - be sure to include a Drip Censorship Panda.

Tapewolf

Quote from: BeckyW on October 07, 2007, 08:05:05 AM
And don't forget - be sure to include a Drip Censorship Panda.

The strip appears at the bottom of the DMFA Radio Project site, so 'MA' isn't quite the rating it needs.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

GabrielsThoughts

yes, but really who would I attribute the chibi too, Amber or David...and then I added the cute lil' antenna and the mow tail , and then the character started to look more  like kello the kitty, and I did say the colors/markings were borrowed.  and the joke gets funnier when you know where it (the soul) came from.

FYI the chibi baby was inspired by kello as seen here,  I made the beak wider and put the marks and antenna  in, and then I thought of drip. The image in the upper right was based off an image of whinny the pooh holding a bunny, and then the whole Cabbit thing stuck, and  almost all Mikelo images are based off of Amber's originals.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Reese Tora

It's your art, and David's character, so, inspired by Amber's version or not, it would probalby be most appropriate to credit Dave.

(completely off topic, nice shot on having Leo and Aeris wearing Tycho and Gabe's clothes :P )
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 07, 2007, 06:11:59 AM

Me not no.  Me R not land sellor pursun.   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Zedd

Quote from: Alondro on October 07, 2007, 07:44:36 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 07, 2007, 06:11:59 AM

Me not no.  Me R not land sellor pursun.   :B
How is babby born..How gril get pregnant?  :B

Kamunt

Quote from: Illusionist on October 07, 2007, 04:16:05 AMI can make an EGS reference involving no squirrels. I can make a Black Sabbath reference that doesn't involve Ozzy. I can even make a DMFA reference that doesn't involve cubi.

This is unpossible. :dface

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 07, 2007, 08:55:04 AMNSFA? (Not Safe For Anyone)

NSFH (Not Safe For Humanity) sounds better. (OMG SHONEN-AI WARNING NSFH LOLOLOL)

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Reese Tora on October 07, 2007, 05:44:35 PM
It's your art, and David's character, so, inspired by Amber's version or not, it would probalby be most appropriate to credit Dave.

(completely off topic, nice shot on having Leo and Aeris wearing Tycho and Gabe's clothes :P )

Again, I pointed out the colors were used, and where they came from, and "drip" was mentioned... as to weather the recombined being will actually be drip has yet to be determined... although the the possibility is still there.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Amber Williams

Gabriel.  The "character" looks like a near-duplicate of Dave's character Drip with some modifications.  You can't widdle-waddle your way into saying its something completely different when its blatently obvious where you got the inspiration from.  So give Dave his credit already.  I don't care if the thing ends up being named Snoo-Snoo Butterfluff, its pretty apparent the design was quasi-ganked from either the Drip Chibi or from Drip himself.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 07, 2007, 11:40:05 PM
I don't care if the thing ends up being named Snoo-Snoo Butterfluff

D'oh, I already voted!  Can I take my vote back and suggest that name, instead?