Confused about Dan's mom

Started by wussycat, September 27, 2007, 02:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 28, 2007, 10:21:00 AM
QuoteGiven that pain's sufficient to rouse the nearly dead, they may even have "hospitals" where beings are tortured to heal clanmates.
Oooh.  I can see Keaton wanting to borrow that idea for her psycho clan :P
Although (according to the wiki) Jyraneth Clan's favourite snacks tend to be suffering and humiliation. So maybe their hospitals had a staff of trained hecklers to torment their Being "donors"...   
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Ted Schiller

llearch n'n'daCorna

I note that Abel carefully didn't answer about what his parents were like.

Not that I blame him, but after 350 years or so, you'd think he'd at least get some sort of distance to the relationship... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Psaakyrn

Ok, and 1 more link for good measure..

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_298.php

"You shouldn't be so kind. You know by my laws it's my job to destroy you now..."
1) What was the purpose of this speech to begin with?
2) Why does she imply that he would know her laws?
3) What laws is she talking about anyway?

I'm assuming that:
a) The laws are from her clan. It's unlikely to be cubi, creature, or locational laws. (given that there are pacifist cubi)
b) The fact that she assumes her clan laws are known either means that her clan is distinctively well known, or she's assuming that her clan laws are THE cubi laws.
c) Her assuming that her clan laws are the cubi laws would imply ignorance/lack of knowledge.

Granted the 2 strips of Destinia and Edward's meeting is one of the more confusing ones so I'll not look too much into them...

x) Then again, we know that her clan are violently opposed to dragons... could "her laws" be in some way related to that? *tinfoil!*
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on September 28, 2007, 06:03:58 PM
I'm assuming that:
a) The laws are from her clan. It's unlikely to be cubi, creature, or locational laws. (given that there are pacifist cubi)
...and that there are about 30'000 'Cubi spread out all over the planet.  No way are you going to be able to enforce them, so IMHO it's got to be a Clan-specific thing.  Why she assumes that Ed would know about it is curious, although Cyra Clan is described as 'high and powerful' in Dan's cast page.  It's also interesting that the others know what she is.  'Cubi are either more well-known in the Lost Lake region, or they've become more widely-known in the 400 years since Abel's birth.

Wild speculation: Lost Lake may be physically close to SAIA since Dee ended up there, and it didn't take too long for Mab's rescue party to walk there (time/space warping notwithstanding).

If so, Lost Lake would see a relatively steady trickle of SAIA graduates passing through it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Naldru

I mentioned this on another forum thread, but it seems more applicable to put it here.  I was wondering if the rule was that cubi had to kill beings when they broke up the relationship.  After all Aaryanna had said that killing the being was the normal way to break off the relationship.  Perhaps, Aniz's clan had a similar rule, and he's trying to find some way to obey the law without killing May.

You have to remember that Edward was an adventurer and may have had contacts with cubi before.  As an adventurer, he's more likely to know about her clan than the average inn-keeper would be.

There are some other possibilities that come to mind, but I would probably be accused of having hallucinations if I mentioned them here.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Psaakyrn on September 28, 2007, 06:03:58 PM
"You shouldn't be so kind. You know by my laws it's my job to destroy you now..."
1) What was the purpose of this speech to begin with?
2) Why does she imply that he would know her laws?

Perhaps it's just a polite way of letting you know that these are rules that you might know, you might not, but I'll presume you do because it's politer, and I get to mention them now so you know which rules I'm referring to...

A social nicety, as it were?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 28, 2007, 06:28:33 PM
Perhaps it's just a polite way of letting you know that these are rules that you might know, you might not, but I'll presume you do because it's politer, and I get to mention them now so you know which rules I'm referring to...

She was going to eat him, and anyway he's only a Being.  Why bother?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 28, 2007, 06:37:53 PM

Keep in practice, in order to avoid being caught by townspeople...

... well, except when she -wants- to be caught...

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 28, 2007, 06:37:53 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 28, 2007, 06:28:33 PM

"SAIA is generally the only place where the various clans(some of which have long-standing grudges) will gather on neutral terms in the pursuit of education. Employing various classes and cultures, the Cubi race evolved rapidly from a dangerous threat to dreams and beings...to an even greater threat to dreams and beings. But at least its an attractive cultured well-dressed threat."

It's not about the 2nd part. It's the first line: Why does she imply that Edward shouldn't be kind?

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's a bit more tricky.

It'd certainly be safer for him if he wasn't, you'd think. Obviously, in hindsight, he worked out much better for being kind, but in the short term, he risked serious pain, and death - and worse - for nothing more than his principles.

Many folk would think he was an idiot for that. Alexsi certainly appears to... but then, being family, she has a certain right ;-]

Psaakyrn

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 28, 2007, 07:02:43 PM
That's a bit more tricky.

It'd certainly be safer for him if he wasn't, you'd think. Obviously, in hindsight, he worked out much better for being kind, but in the short term, he risked serious pain, and death - and worse - for nothing more than his principles.

Many folk would think he was an idiot for that. Alexsi certainly appears to... but then, being family, she has a certain right ;-]

Your arguement is valid for Edward, for not for Destinia. What benifit does Destinia gain from saying that, unless she actually cared?

Hmm... one other point. Why did Destinia even think she could find shelter at an inn, and unmorphed? Unless she actually knew/met Edward beforehand, or she's REALLY out of touch with the outside world...

Also one other thought: considering that cubi can be flooded by an emotional overload, could the same have happened to Destinia when she "did her worst"? I'm thinking of her using a variant of "Mind Reading", seeing that it's nasty enough to be hidden off by Fa'lina, and coupled with Edward's suicidal tendencies, which I'm guessing is from the loss of his first wife.

Zedd

Shes just like any cubi I know..Crazy...Now who argues with this theory..now get the loud life changing shiney toy from your dads underware drawer..Not that one...The one with a handle and a trigger..Put it to your temple pull the trigger and become an hero..If you if you are still alive to read this..You have missed or failed miserably

Madmann135

Quote from: Caswin on September 28, 2007, 12:02:51 PM
Quote from: Madmann135 on September 28, 2007, 08:14:22 AM
Short answer - Yes
Long answer - No

Evil is as much of a choice as anything, but remember that evil is also objective.  In war the enemy is always evil no matter which side your on. 

Bad/strange example but it explains what I'm saying. 
-Devoted Christians who believe one thing could  fight Devoted Christians that believe another in a bloody war.  Both sides would call the other side evil because it is how wars are fought.
-In the war between good and evil the Devil himself could be rooting for the side of good.  (saw Reaper recently, that's why I said that)

Good and evil are objective.  Literally speaking one man's good is another man's evil.  Laws and rules, made by individuals, help define good and evil for everyone.

The only reasons 'D' is on my redemption list is because she's a devoted wife and a good mother. 
How many mothers teach their children how to fight?
Uh... are you sure "subjective" isn't the word you want?

Brain was at 50% power.  I believe are fixing my post.   Brain won't go past 60% power unfortunately.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 28, 2007, 06:13:25 PM
Wild speculation: Lost Lake may be physically close to SAIA since Dee ended up there, and it didn't take too long for Mab's rescue party to walk there (time/space warping notwithstanding).

If so, Lost Lake would see a relatively steady trickle of SAIA graduates passing through it.

But if that were the case wouldn't someone likely have seen Dee, and assumeing they knew she was "missing" turned around and reported to Fa'lina, her where abouts?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aurawyn on September 28, 2007, 09:55:10 PM
But if that were the case wouldn't someone likely have seen Dee, and assumeing they knew she was "missing" turned around and reported to Fa'lina, her where abouts?
Only if the someone can get back into SAIA.  Remember, apart from the backdoor through the sewers, the place is magically protected.  Either way, Fa'Lina knew precisely what had happened to Dee by the time Aary broke into SAIA.  There may also have been a long gap between Dee leaving and finding herself at Lost Lake, depending on whether she began the original mission and how far she got with it.

Reese Tora

After reading all of this, I am suddenly imaginging that Destiana's motives in all of this are much mroe petty...

1: Edward is friends with dragons, assume they game together (poker night? D&D?)
2: Destiana is jealous of Edward spending time with his friends, and sets out to destroy them
3: The dragons, for whatever reason, which probably seemed good at the time, kidnap Edward and put him in suspended animation to keep off Destiana/protect him
(4: ? 5: profit!)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

AndersW

Quote from: Reese Tora on September 29, 2007, 05:30:00 PM
After reading all of this, I am suddenly imaginging that Destiana's motives in all of this are much mroe petty...

1: Edward is friends with dragons, assume they game together (poker night? D&D?)
2: Destiana is jealous of Edward spending time with his friends, and sets out to destroy them
3: The dragons, for whatever reason, which probably seemed good at the time, kidnap Edward and put him in suspended animation to keep off Destiana/protect him
(4: ? 5: profit!)

Where are you getting #1 from?  As far as I know, the only connection Edward has to dragons is through Destiana.

Reese Tora

Quote from: AndersW on September 29, 2007, 05:45:26 PMWhere are you getting #1 from?  As far as I know, the only connection Edward has to dragons is through Destiana.

From reading through this thread, actually. (one off hand post, I forget which one, in the first page)

That and SOs vs gaming sort of came up last night at D&D...
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Psaakyrn on September 28, 2007, 08:19:41 PM
(snip)
Hmm... one other point. Why did Destinia even think she could find shelter at an inn, and unmorphed? Unless she actually knew/met Edward beforehand, or she's REALLY out of touch with the outside world... (snip)

The answer is here. 
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_726.php

She was looking for friends.  Biggs may be in the Twink Territories, but Wildy lives near the Lost Lake Inn.  The Lost Lake area was probably where Biggs and Wildy's family lived.

With regards,
Ted

Naldru

If the cubi feed on pain and misery, would that mean that the pained individual would feel better because the pain has been taken away.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on September 29, 2007, 07:48:45 PM
If the cubi feed on pain and misery, would that mean that the pained individual would feel better because the pain has been taken away.
'Cubi feed on passively-radiated emotions.  Amber once said it is possible to forcibly eat them, but doing that generally takes more energy than you get from it, so it is only really useful for the side-effect of removing it.

AndersW

Quote from: Reese Tora on September 29, 2007, 06:08:32 PM
Quote from: AndersW on September 29, 2007, 05:45:26 PMWhere are you getting #1 from?  As far as I know, the only connection Edward has to dragons is through Destiana.

From reading through this thread, actually. (one off hand post, I forget which one, in the first page)

I can't see where you would get that idea from this thread.  I have seen the idea before and seen it shot to pieces every time.  If you could find some evidence to support your idea I will be waiting here with my shotgun. :mowwink

Zedd

Quote from: AndersW on September 30, 2007, 11:44:33 AM
Quote from: Reese Tora on September 29, 2007, 06:08:32 PM

I can't see where you would get that idea from this thread.  I have seen the idea before and seen it shot to pieces every time.  If you could find some evidence to support your idea I will be waiting here with my shotgun. :mowwink
Hope so..But I got a steel bat just in case you run out of ammo

superluser

Quote from: Psaakyrn on September 28, 2007, 08:19:41 PMYour arguement is valid for Edward, for not for Destinia. What benifit does Destinia gain from saying that, unless she actually cared?

She could be trying to figure out if he has ulterior motives.

Of course, Edward could lie, but she could tell what his emotions were and figure that out pretty quickly.

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 29, 2007, 05:38:43 AMEither way, Fa'Lina knew precisely what had happened to Dee by the time Aary broke into SAIA.

How do we know this?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on October 01, 2007, 12:19:26 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on September 29, 2007, 05:38:43 AMEither way, Fa'Lina knew precisely what had happened to Dee by the time Aary broke into SAIA.
How do we know this?

Because she says so in 567.  Thinking about it, I suppose Aary could have told her, but IMHO it's a bit more likely Dee returned to resign and pick up a few heirlooms like the Cyra-clan bed.

Madmann135

Dee is like Demona, they both are hot, they both are dangerous and they both hate a particular species.  Destania has redeeming qualities that any mother can understand.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Aurawyn

Quote from: Madmann135 on October 01, 2007, 07:27:09 AM
Dee is like Demona, they both are hot, they both are dangerous and they both hate a particular species.  Destania has redeeming qualities that any mother can understand.

Yea.. but Dee's not trying to destory a race that the last of her kind are trying to protect, thus making the rest of her kind ( And her own Daughter ) her enemy too!

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on October 01, 2007, 04:04:42 AMBecause she says so in 567.  Thinking about it, I suppose Aary could have told her

That's what I figure.  If not that, then I'm a little bit lost.

Aary was replacing Dee.  If they knew that she had resigned, they would certainly have replaced her sometime in those 25 (possibly more?) years, and Aary would be replacing Dee's replacement.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?