Demonology 101 update. (Phoenix A/Gryphon C)

Started by Amber Williams, September 26, 2007, 05:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

The manner in which they learn, not the information itself?

Hmm, I wonder if that means the knowledge is driven into their minds forcefully and they're made to relive the experience over and over in their dreams until it happens. 

I can hardly see a Being going insane after learning they'll live to age 99 and die peacefully in their sleep.

That gryphon might have a sadistic streak...
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Amber Williams

Quote from: Tezkat on September 27, 2007, 09:43:52 AM
Hmm... interesting... I think this is the first time I've seen you refer to Fi as a male. All the other official sources have referenced the Warp-Aci with gender-neutral pronouns. Could be a slip, but is it normal for Warp-Aci to have a preferred gender?

If I remember right, when you are dealing with a gender neutral subject in writing, it tends to be common practice to fall back on the "he' pronoun rather than constantly going "it".   Unless you have D&D books, which will always use the "she" pronoun.

Aurawyn

Hmm... interesting... I think this is the first time I've seen you refer to Fi as a male. All the other official sources have referenced the Warp-Aci with gender-neutral pronouns. Could be a slip, but is it normal for Warp-Aci to have a preferred gender?

I was thinking perhaps.. just because something is neither physically male or female doesn't mean it doesn't have tendanceys that we would assosicat with one gender or the other..

Also.. it might make Dan more comfortable to have a little guy following him around rather then a Girl.. (( I Know if I had one I would want it to be the same gender as I ))

:)

thegayhare

Quote from: Aurawyn on September 27, 2007, 11:10:25 AM
I was thinking perhaps.. just because something is neither physically male or female doesn't mean it doesn't have tendanceys that we would assosicat with one gender or the other..

That makes sense to me

even if a creature isn't male or female they may display tendencies that would be commonly associated with one or the other.  If I remember correctly Fi has certain masculine tendencies and a penchant for trying to be macho.  While a warp ACi like say Nutmeg with her cutesy phrasing might be considered more female.    Plus there is always the Warp Aci's personal preferance in terms of pronouns

Goatmon

Quote from: Regal on September 26, 2007, 10:03:42 PM
Quote from: Alondro on September 26, 2007, 06:27:20 PM
*Charles hmms*  Interesting about Pandora... though I highly doubt knowing when and how I'm going to die would phase me.

In that case, it's tonight at 3:47am, steamroller accident.

Wait, are we talking about Pandora at this point, or Light Yagami?     :P

Quote from: Zedd on September 27, 2007, 01:31:48 AM
Quote from: Goatmon on September 27, 2007, 12:09:28 AM
<----- half phoenix.
Is the other half chicken? *flees*

son of a - YOU'D BETTER RUN!

:yuck

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Goatmon on September 27, 2007, 12:27:14 PM

Well, the phoenix half would explain the cigarette.... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Goatmon

Quote from: Goatmon on September 27, 2007, 12:09:28 AM
<----- half phoenix.

Ooooh... vampire is a much better pairing! Coupling phoenix flames with vampiric vulnerabilities could lead to an endless cycle of resurrections followed by spontaneous combustion, thus creating an infinite source of emo angst. Enterprising Cubi could then tap this power supply and rule the world!

Er... yeah... :kittydevious

You're not far off, depending on which incarnation of Kevin (My fursona) it is we're talking about here.  :]

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 27, 2007, 10:17:03 AM

If I remember right, when you are dealing with a gender neutral subject in writing, it tends to be common practice to fall back on the "he' pronoun rather than constantly going "it".   Unless you have D&D books, which will always use the "she" pronoun.

Or if you're dealing with feminist literature proffs. in college, where a friend of mine got points off for using the word "human" in his essay, because it contains the word "man."

In retrospect, I shouldn't have been so subtle on the FCQ.  I should have simply said "Instructor is a flaming, man-hating feminist.  Male students should not take this class."

In other news, the DnD books do use masculine pronouns occasionally, just not very often.  I think they try to match the gender of their sample character, so the Druid and Rogue get "she," while the Bard, Fighter, and Barbarian get "he."

My mom taught me that "he" is a gender-neutral pronoun.

Goatmon

Quote from: Raist on September 27, 2007, 02:24:52 PM
Quote from: Amber Williams on September 27, 2007, 10:17:03 AM

Or if you're dealing with feminist literature proffs. in college, where a friend of mine got points off for using the word "human" in his essay, because it contains the word "man."

Wow.  My god.   That's almost at the "Biting Beaver" level of feminism. 

Sienna Maiu - M T

Well, Tezkat mentioned the only thing I notices, about records and "historical note".

Seems good ^-^ b

Zedd

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 27, 2007, 12:45:15 PM
Quote from: Goatmon on September 27, 2007, 12:27:14 PM

Well, the phoenix half would explain the cigarette.... ;-]
Super ultra mega chicken!

Goatmon

Nice tripod logo. Photobucket is your friend, Zedd. 

Chaos

I wonder upon Pandora. What would happen if she were to apply her curse upon an individual who were already insane. Would it break them further? Or would they just say "Why thank you. I'll be certain to wear my clean undergarments on that date, if any."

Amber Williams

Well it's not like most really insane people might be able to be much an issue to cause her to visit in the first place.  Keeping in mind the fact the Phoenix Oracles can die at will, one has to be pretty clever and pretty nasty to be able to do something that would warrent Pandora showing up.

Truth be told Pandora might not even exist and is just a rumour set up to keep people from trying to dick over the Phoenix oracles.  Sort of like a "eat your veggies" lesson.

Goatmon

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 27, 2007, 05:43:54 PMTruth be told Pandora might not even exist and is just a rumour set up to keep people from trying to dick over the Phoenix oracles.  Sort of like a "eat your veggies" lesson.

I love how no matter how twisted or warped an idea may be, it's always possible to compare it to something we learned in early childhood. 

Chaos

Oh, and as for gender neutrals, I've always preferred the "v"s. Ve, vim, vis, ver,   though most are based off of the male ramatical structure.

Learned that while dealing with a time travelling hermaphroditic gold dragon, who habitually was pendantic to the extream.

There is no way that I spelled all those right, but my break is over and the spell check won't work.

Cheers!

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Chaos on September 27, 2007, 07:14:31 PM
Oh, and as for gender neutrals, I've always preferred the "v"s. Ve, vim, vis, ver,   though most are based off of the male ramatical structure.

Learned that while dealing with a time travelling hermaphroditic gold dragon, who habitually was pendantic to the extream.

There is no way that I spelled all those right, but my break is over and the spell check won't work.

Cheers!

What's your native language?  That doesn't sound like English to me.

Some people take the route of using the gender-neutral "it," which I consider dehumanizing.

Chaos

Don't ask me about that one. As I said, the concept was introduced by a Gold Dragon that played lets flaunt the space-time order for fun. I mean, vim and I were two of the more active intelectuals on the bored we frequented. He cited vimself but I forget the sorce.

As for myself, I'm Canadian. You Americans freak out at me saying "about" and "route". God forbid that  spell such things as colour.

Edit:
Found the Reference

QuoteWandering Idiot wrote:
Yevaud333 wrote:
::aghast, renounces his male membership card::

*Is morbidly curious as to just what the hell Yevaud is now*

Having at least temporarily renounced vis malehood in disgust, Yevaud333 is currently in the market for a new gender (or genders). Until such time as ve decides on one (or more), ve asks that you refer to ver using Eganese pronouns* as recommended by the King of the Royal Court of Unfounded Speculation (may his reign be forever imaginative).

Furthermore, until ve settles upon a gender or genders, Yevaud333 will refer to verself in the third person, as these gender-nonspecific pronouns are so damn much fun to use, and it would be criminal to let this perfect opportunity go to waste.

*c.f. this post, where Wandering Idiot wrote:
...the ones I use were, I believe, originally invented by Greg Egan (the science fiction writer). They're by far my favorite out of the ones I've seen. A quick equivalence chart:
he = ve
his = vis
him = ver 

Madd the Sane

Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Aurawyn on September 27, 2007, 11:10:25 AM

Also.. it might make Dan more comfortable to have a little guy following him around rather then a Girl.. (( I Know if I had one I would want it to be the same gender as I ))

:)

Then again, Fi was originally following Fa'Lina..
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

superluser

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 27, 2007, 10:17:03 AMIf I remember right, when you are dealing with a gender neutral subject in writing, it tends to be common practice to fall back on the "he' pronoun rather than constantly going "it".   Unless you have D&D books, which will always use the "she" pronoun.

Does Fi have a gender?  If Fi has no gender, then `it' is appropriate, anything else is inappropriate.  If Fi is of indeterminate gender, the Oxford Guide to Style lists some rules, but then basically says, ``It's all politics.  Do whatever you want.''

But the cardinal rule is always consistency.  If you start with `he,' use it consistently.  If you use `it,' use it consistently.  Otherwise, you leave people wondering why you changed midway through your piece.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

fakelike

Think 'they' was popular gender neutral choice back then, but got dropped in the 18th century when the English started standardizing the language towards Latin.

I agree with superluser, consistency is the key now.  Though keep in mind the choice often creates preconceptions in the reader's mind; what you chose becomes what you are.

EDIT: For formal literary works.  Casual is inconsistent by definition.

Amber Williams

Keep in mind I've also been quasi doped up and sick for the past two weeks so consistency is not exactly something that is going to be my strong feature in conversation. Cut me some slack! D:

superluser

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 28, 2007, 03:06:19 AMKeep in mind I've also been quasi doped up and sick for the past two weeks so consistency is not exactly something that is going to be my strong feature in conversation. Cut me some slack! D:

k.

This is an informal online discussion, not a published, professionally edited work.  I don't think that anybody cares about consistency in informal communications.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on September 28, 2007, 03:19:11 AM
This is an informal online discussion, not a published, professionally edited work.  I don't think that anybody cares about consistency in informal communications.

... except for us pedants. ;-]

MT Hazard

I like the small Steve Irwin being in the Gryphon C section, I think It's a fitting tribute to the real one. I'm also wondering if he's the same Guy who provoked Mab into blowing up her Glen.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

llearch n'n'daCorna

Well, of -course-.

Who else would be manic enough to even attempt to annoy a Fae? ;-]

Naldru

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 28, 2007, 12:48:39 PM
Well, of -course-.

Several people on this forum come to mind when you say that.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Zedd

Quote from: Naldru on September 28, 2007, 06:28:50 PM
Well, of -course-.

I know who sounds like the first volunteer...Go for it Naldru! Me and Llearch will wait for you behind this lead shield!

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Naldru on September 28, 2007, 06:28:50 PM
Well, of -course-.

Frankly, considering how maniac some of the Fae are, NOT annoying a Fae might prove harder..
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.