09/26/07 [Abel #99] - slit your throat

Started by AndersW, September 26, 2007, 01:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

*Charline yawns*  It's quite simple really.  Amber has been totally taken over by "Goth Mab".  Soon the comic will end up resembling Evangelion, with incestual lusts and death and insanity everywhere.   Jyrras' mecha gryphons will be the clones of the ancient gods and be piloted by Abel, who will then discover that Grypho Unit 01 has been given the spirit of his mother by the evil Doctor Ink, whose working for the Creature Council, whose true purpose is to bring about Being Instrumentality... so they get all the souls into one place for easy eating!   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

rt

Throwing a disembodied arm at someone to scare them .. coool!

And I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought Aniz was pointing outside the comic at us in that last pannel *gulp*.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 26, 2007, 08:57:05 AM
QuoteSomething has to counter the basket-case-attitude that Abel's going to pick up from this.
50 years in SAIA might do the trick.  I imagine 'Cubi would make quite good psychiatrists.

Yeah. Messafint would be my choice in psychiatrists, too. No, really... ;-]

Slightly more seriously, it occurs to me that Aniz might be an unmitigated bastard - but he's playing -precisely- by accepted Cubi rules; any psychiatric work done on Abel at SAIA is likely to lead in this direction, rather than towards the comparatively friendly Abel we see in DMFA. Honestly, I'm not sure Fa'Lina (for example) would have anything to object to about Aniz' behaviour. And if that's all expected and normal - I'm not sure how many Cubi are going to understand quite why he's so freaked about it all...

Ink, for example, could take some truly -nasty- steps in testing.

Which leads me to wonder precisely where Amber is going with this. However it works out, it should be interesting getting there...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

rabid_fox

Merciful christ, but Aniz really is a wonderful bastard.

Oh dear.

GabrielsThoughts

Cid has put himself a whole level higher than beings...it's almost as if he see's himself as god. I'm surprised he was troubled that he killed anyone.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Moonfrost

Woo. Back from a longass holiday and I see this.

Aniz F- rocks. :boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 26, 2007, 11:26:13 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure Fa'Lina (for example) would have anything to object to about Aniz' behaviour.
If Abel was a Being, yeah.  The fact is, Aniz has basically just driven his own 'Cubi son insane.  I'm not sure I see that as being 'normal behaviour', even for a 'Cubi, and even if it is I doubt she'll be thrilled with being left to clean up the mess.

QuoteAnd if that's all expected and normal - I'm not sure how many Cubi are going to understand quite why he's so freaked about it all...
For many, indeed.  However there are 'Cubi who primarily feed on pleasant things, and I can't really see them liking it.  The Academy, however bloodthirsty it is in the main, is going to recognise that not all 'Cubi can handle negative emotions, especially the younger ones.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jakon

Quote from: Alondro on September 26, 2007, 09:46:42 AM
*Charline yawns*  It's quite simple really.  Amber has been totally taken over by "Goth Mab".  Soon the comic will end up resembling Evangelion, with incestual lusts and death and insanity everywhere.   Jyrras' mecha gryphons will be the clones of the ancient gods and be piloted by Abel, who will then discover that Grypho Unit 01 has been given the spirit of his mother by the evil Doctor Ink, whose working for the Creature Council, whose true purpose is to bring about Being Instrumentality... so they get all the souls into one place for easy eating!   >:3

This post is full of win

AndersW

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 26, 2007, 11:37:21 AM
Cid has put himself a whole level higher than beings...it's almost as if he see's himself as god. I'm surprised he was troubled that he killed anyone.

I think you mean Aniz

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 26, 2007, 12:26:09 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure Fa'Lina (for example) would have anything to object to about Aniz' behaviour.
If Abel was a Being, yeah.  The fact is, Aniz has basically just driven his own 'Cubi son insane.  I'm not sure I see that as being 'normal behaviour', even for a 'Cubi, and even if it is I doubt she'll be thrilled with being left to clean up the mess.

Has he?

No, seriously, here; define "sane" for Cubi, bearing in mind Dan doesn't count, Destania appears to be suffering from a split personality of sorts, Aaryanna is, or was for much of her visible time, in love... So far as I can see, we still don't know what a "normal" state of mind for a Cubi is - none of the Cubi we've seen for any length of time have been stable or rational, or typical for Cubi. The former doesn't necessarily imply the latter, nor vice versa, but you take my point, I hope...

Sure, Aniz has done some nasty stuff, but... is this likely to leave Abel comatose, or simply pathological? If the latter, how does that differ from Fa'Lina's normal state of mind, taking, say, the rock incident, or the muffins? So far as I can tell, "pathological" is fairly normal for Cubi - heck, Keaton, whilst not canon, has managed to run up a reasonably self-consistent image of a totally crazy (by our standards) Cubi who'd fit into the described society reasonably well. Sure, she'd have some problems, but not as many as she might have trying to fit into the sort of society we have here in the West.

I can see Abel coming out of this either comatose, (in which case, no great loss, right?) or considering -everything- around him to be simply playthings, (which appears to be a fairly normal Cubi mindset) the equivalent of cardboard cutouts, no real feelings in any of them... To you or I, this is a seriously, badly wrong mindset, but Amber has repeatedly said that Cubi don't fit well into a modern mental landscape. (ok, maybe not in those words :-] )

I -don't- see either of these states being what a Cubi might term insane. I can see them being what a Being might, sure. And you can bet that Abel's mental landscape is going to be very different to what it was prior to all this, but even so.... I'm not so sure that Abel is irrecoverably set on the path to total inutility; particularly since what Aniz is looking for is Cubi family. All Abel has to be able to do is reproduce, for that... Sanity is optional, even what little the Cubi have.

Something I've thought about a bit. Not that much, and I'm probably waffling, in which case I apologise...

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 26, 2007, 12:26:09 PM
QuoteAnd if that's all expected and normal - I'm not sure how many Cubi are going to understand quite why he's so freaked about it all...
For many, indeed.  However there are 'Cubi who primarily feed on pleasant things, and I can't really see them liking it.  The Academy, however bloodthirsty it is in the main, is going to recognise that not all 'Cubi can handle negative emotions, especially the younger ones.

You have a point. Still... from what I understand, all Cubi are expected to at least be able to cope with the Home Ec class, in the abstract, if not actually being in the class...

Many more details are sure to come to light in time.

Tapewolf

And if that's all expected and normal - I'm not sure how many Cubi are going to understand quite why he's so freaked about it all...

Another way to consider this is in more abstract terms.  For example: "I went to an old friend's funeral, then saw one of my childhood friends die and when I got home I found that my father had murdered my stepfather and then watched helplessly as he beat my mother to a pulp and decapitated my best friend right before my eyes..."

It's not 100% correct but it's close enough, and if you told that to another student at SAIA, they would assume the people involved were other 'Cubi.  They should understand that.

Also, don't forget we have a number of 'Cubi entering the Academy who still think (to some degree) that they're Beings (see 602.2)...

Oh now you've gone and turned this into an essay  :rolleyes

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 26, 2007, 01:45:36 PM
Has he?

375 years later he still has flashbacks, refuses to shapeshift, eats and sleeps like a Being and is scared of leaving the Academy .  I think we can agree that's not the mark of a well-adjusted incubus.

QuoteI can see Abel coming out of this either comatose, (in which case, no great loss, right?) or considering -everything- around him to be simply playthings, (which appears to be a fairly normal Cubi mindset) the equivalent of cardboard cutouts, no real feelings in any of them... To you or I, this is a seriously, badly wrong mindset, but Amber has repeatedly said that Cubi don't fit well into a modern mental landscape. (ok, maybe not in those words :-] )

My money's on comatose.  Whatever the 'normal' state of mind for an incubus is, and granted it is a very open definition of 'normal', I do not think that Abel is going to be sane enough to be usable student material for some time.

QuoteI'm not so sure that Abel is irrecoverably set on the path to total inutility; particularly since what Aniz is looking for is Cubi family. All Abel has to be able to do is reproduce, for that... Sanity is optional, even what little the Cubi have.
It's not permanent, we know that.  But I think it's going to take them a long time to get him to a point where he can be taught.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 26, 2007, 01:55:37 PM
Another way to consider this is in more abstract terms.  For example: "I went to an old friend's funeral, then saw one of my childhood friends die and when I got home I found that my father had murdered my stepfather, beat my mother to a pulp and then he decapitated my best friend right before my eyes..."

"Go back for a Masters?"

It's not 100% correct but it's close enough, and if you told that to another student at SAIA, they would assume the people involved were other 'Cubi.  They should understand that.

You -do- have a point.

Oh now you've gone and turned this into an essay  :rolleyes

My most sincere apologies, I'll go immolate myself immediately. ;-]

Sorry about that. I just waffle, and it goes on and on and on. Something of a hazard of talking to me, I fear. :-/

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 26, 2007, 01:45:36 PM
Has he?

375 years later he still has flashbacks, refuses to shapeshift, eats and sleeps like a Being and is scared of leaving the Academy .  I think we can agree that's not the mark of a well-adjusted incubus.

Not well-adjusted, sure. Insane? Not quite, IMHO. At least, not yet. ;-]

Also, the sleeping thing is a bit of a misnomer - "not have to" and "have not to" are two different things, and it's still unclear how often your average Cubi sleeps, if at all. Particularly outside SAIA, where the emotional atmosphere is less intense; need I link to Abel saying the equivalent of "At SAIA, nobody needs to sleep"  in strip 540? ;-]

My money's on comatose.  Whatever the 'normal' state of mind for an incubus is, and granted it is a very open definition of 'normal', I do not think that Abel is going to be sane enough to be usable student material for some time.

Given Home Ec, I'm wondering how sane you really have to be to be usable as a student. I think Sid did nicely with Kitzi in his story, in chapter 8 with Ink; again, not canon, but nicely run, nonetheless. I -think- Ink would be able to use you, no matter how crazy you were.

Now, if you're asking if Abel would -enjoy- it...  I think the comments in strip 527, panel 2 highlight that... ;-]

It's not permanent, we know that.  But I think it's going to take them a long time to get him to a point where he can be taught.

*shrug* they've got a few years to mess about with. Even so, you -do- have a point . (The same one again, probably)

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 26, 2007, 02:22:10 PM
Not well-adjusted, sure. Insane? Not quite, IMHO. At least, not yet. ;-]
Personally I think that's the best they could do.

Let's look at it like this.  Dan, a seasoned warrior who has slain a number of demons, was told that he was prime material for an adventurer-slayer.  Granted there were other factors at work there, but that was enough to put him into a catatonic state.  Abel has just been through something far more horrific than discovering that he is an immortal 'monster' (actually he has done that too).  If he is capable of listening by the time he's got to SAIA, let alone speaking, I'll be somewhat surprised.

QuoteAlso, the sleeping thing is a bit of a misnomer - "not have to" and "have not to" are two different things, and it's still unclear how often your average Cubi sleeps, if at all. Particularly outside SAIA, where the emotional atmosphere is less intense

Interesting... I never thought of it like that.  I'm not sure I agree, though.  Aary didn't seem to sleep and Wildy said something like "You probably won't ever have to sleep again!" at the end of the SAIA arc (582).  Also, in 753 : "I may not NEED to sleep, but I do."

QuoteGiven Home Ec, I'm wondering how sane you really have to be to be usable as a student.
I think being able to respond to external stimuli is a prerequisite  >:3

QuoteI think Sid did nicely with Kitzi in his story, in chapter 8 with Ink; again, not canon, but nicely run, nonetheless. I -think- Ink would be able to use you, no matter how crazy you were.
Heh.  That might be enough to snap him out of catatonia...

AnizInDisguise

Nope, I still freaking LOVE Aniz.

Everyone who wants Aniz dead, then you're on my list.

Valynth

I'll summarize in two sentences what Llearch took a page to say.

All things mental are relative.  The insane man considers the sane man to be insane; who is to say which view is correct?
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Alondro

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on September 26, 2007, 03:35:20 PM

*Charline smirks*  I want Aniz dead.   >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Zedd

Quote from: Alondro on September 26, 2007, 04:32:59 PM

*Charline smirks*  I want Aniz dead.   >:3
Newspaper'ed! You want everything dead you crazy cat...

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Valynth on September 26, 2007, 03:54:21 PM

My ego hates you. ;-]

Zedd

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 26, 2007, 05:18:34 PM
My ego hates you. ;-]
And your hate means love in bizzaro world!

Naldru

In the past episodes, Aniz seemed to be working according to some plan, even though it didn't seem to be working out.  Now he seems to be acting out of panic.  Bad things happen when people act through panic, very bad things.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Caswin

Quote from: Valynth on September 26, 2007, 03:54:21 PMThe insane man considers the sane man to be insane; who is to say which view is correct?
The objective world itself?  Not necessarily in all cases, of course, but if a man believed that the computer I'm typing on to be a fish that lived and breathed in the ocean - at this very moment, no less - call it circular reasoning or somesuch, but I'd be inclined to say he's wrong both from my point of view and on a totally general level.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

SpottedKitty

Quote from: Naldru on September 26, 2007, 06:44:17 PM
Now he seems to be acting out of panic.
I... don't know about that. Remember the last strip, he said "Backup plan it is, then." This strip, he immediately turned to May, threatened and attacked her. This is his backup plan. I don't think it's a good one, but at this point Aniz seems to be out of options. He doesn't know Kria told Abel she'd be along later, but he has to be wondering if anyone heard the screams. The clocks are ticking, the ones he knows about and the ones he doesn't.

Tick...

Tick...

Tick...
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

candide

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 26, 2007, 07:12:05 AM
Quote from: Wussycat on September 26, 2007, 07:02:07 AM
I wonder if this leading up to May losing her marbles.
I suspect Aniz is about to take Abel (see the last pane) and we'll never see anything of May again,
Exactly what I was thinking!

Quote from: Pagan on September 26, 2007, 08:33:04 AM
For some reason, I think Aniz is just making empty threats. He just wants to scare May to the point where she'll stop screaming and curl into the fetal position for awhile.
...aaaaand that would be Plan-B.  Come down heavy-handed, keep all bystanders out of the way, cowering in fear, and abscond with Abel to SAIA, to h311 with what he thinks of his incubus father.

Regal

Quote from: rt on September 26, 2007, 10:53:57 AM
And I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought Aniz was pointing outside the comic at us in that last pannel *gulp*.

Maybe he's mad because we didn't buy enough popcorn.  :popcorn

Azlan

Quote from: Regal on September 26, 2007, 10:11:24 PM
Quote from: rt on September 26, 2007, 10:53:57 AM

Maybe he's mad because we didn't buy enough popcorn.  :popcorn

He's mad because he didn't switch his car insurance to GEICO and save a ton of money. 

That or he knows someone out here is aware of his destiny.

"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Castle Pokemetroid

I'm surprized no one busted in the house asking what all the screaming is about.

DarkAudit

I'll sign my name on that list myself, thank you very much.

Better still, I'll engrave my name. Then highlight it with bright neon.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Reese Tora

All things mental are relative.  The insane man considers the sane man to be insane; who is to say which view is correct?

The majority. :P
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Alondro

Quote from: Caswin on September 26, 2007, 09:06:51 PM
Quote from: Valynth on September 26, 2007, 03:54:21 PMThe insane man considers the sane man to be insane; who is to say which view is correct?
The objective world itself?  Not necessarily in all cases, of course, but if a man believed that the computer I'm typing on to be a fish that lived and breathed in the ocean - at this very moment, no less - call it circular reasoning or somesuch, but I'd be inclined to say he's wrong both from my point of view and on a totally general level.

*watches as Caswin types... on a fish?!*  Well I'll be...  :erk

Naldru

"as for you" could be referring to Abel or Hennya

Actually, I believe the psychiatrists don't like the word insane.  As I recall the definitions

Neurosis - compulsive actions that you are unable to control and unreasonable feelings - claustrophobia, excessive hand washing, compulsive rechecking of things, etc.

Psychosis - what you perceive doesn't exist - believing that little voices of men from Mars are telling you to kill Aniz and that tin foil will stop the voices, believing that red lights mean go, believing that a fellow is a demon and that only you can see the horns, etc.

Wht the majority defines is ethics and laws

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.