[Design] Robbie's Topic (2/20/08 - New Website Design)

Started by RobbieThe1st, September 25, 2007, 04:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabi

The font looks rather small (10px is ok for the footer, but if the general content is that size some people may not be able to read it).

The color scheme looks fine.

The backend... if it works for you I think it's fine too. It wouldn't escalate to bigger sites, but your site may not need much interaction with the database, especially not many writes which could be hard to handle for your system.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 20, 2008, 03:07:36 PM
The colour scheme seems to be innocuous enough, although it might look a bit funny if you're colour-blind or something.  I am a little concerned about the fact that all the hyperlinks down the side menu bring up the same content, though.  Is that a bug?

At some point I must look at redesigning the Radio Project website...
Well... not really. It can't find the databases that those links are supposed to point to. That is my fault, as those databases don't exist yet.
I suppose it looks better this way than just having one link pointing to the index. <_<
Quote from: Gabi on February 20, 2008, 03:55:02 PM
The font looks rather small (10px is ok for the footer, but if the general content is that size some people may not be able to read it).
Yea.. I think I am going to change that to a relative font size instead, perhaps a tad bigger also. Being relative, if you have your browser font settings bigger, it will be bigger also.

Great. I was worried about the contrast.

The backend... if it works for you I think it's fine too. It wouldn't escalate to bigger sites, but your site may not need much interaction with the database, especially not many writes which could be hard to handle for your system.
Well, the problem I see is that, being a file-based-system, you can run into problems if your editing a post/making a new one and you cancel the script at the exact wrong time, you could potentially screw things up. However, as I figure I will be the only one doing posting, that problem won't be much of one.
The comment system may be a problem however, as more than one person will be posting. I will have to work on that.
Also, search functions won't be easy, as I will have to make them myself.

On the other hand, it doesn't require a MySQL database, meaning I can more easily run it on free hosts, and its plug-and-play. Also, MySQL based hacks won't work.

-RobbieThe1st

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Gabi

There are many free hosting services that provide MySQL access if that's the problem. I'm using prophp.org and it works quite well.

And I don't think a MySQL database would be easier to hack than a set of plain-text files.

WhiteFox

Quote from: RobbieThe1st on February 20, 2008, 11:57:41 PM

Well... not really. It can't find the databases that those links are supposed to point to. That is my fault, as those databases don't exist yet.
I suppose it looks better this way than just having one link pointing to the index. <_<
Yea.. I think I am going to change that to a relative font size instead, perhaps a tad bigger also. Being relative, if you have your browser font settings bigger, it will be bigger also.

Great. I was worried about the contrast.

-RobbieThe1st

I think text is readable at the size it is, but it could be made bigger.

I would put a little more contrast in the color scheme, myself. I'd also pick a distinct font to use for titles and headers.

Sadly, for all my experience as a web designer, I have no skill in programming.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Gabi

You and I can complement each other, WhiteFox. We could build websites together.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Gabi on February 21, 2008, 12:46:35 PM
You and I can complement each other, WhiteFox.

I like your sparkling personality.

I wouldn't mind an occasional bit of design work. I already do this sort of thing for a living, actually. My mom pays me part time as a sort of consultant site designer: I comment on her drafts, she gives me 45$ a week.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...