Look familiar?

Started by Raskahn, September 10, 2007, 06:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: VSMIT on September 11, 2007, 06:48:16 PM
What?  Inconcievable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

(you also misspelt it)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

VSMIT

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

VSMIT.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Let me put it this way; Ever heard of Plato? Aristotle? Socrates?

Morons.

;-]

(and that's probably enough of that, thanks.)

Naldru

Wasn't it the Red Queen in Alice Through the Looking Glass who said something about well-behaved words should always mean what you meant them to mean.

inconceivable -- According to the Apple Dictionary - not capable of being imagined or grasped mentally; unbelievable

I believe that the rule being refered to is "i before e except after c or when sounded like a as in neighbor or weigh"

Sample:  The concept of the posters on this forum learning proper spelling and grammar is completely inconceivable.  For that reason, there's no point worrying about it.

By the way, my favorite philosophers are Galileo and Benjamin Franklin.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: DarkAudit on September 11, 2007, 04:17:13 PM
Quote from: Raist on September 11, 2007, 02:37:10 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 11, 2007, 09:04:25 AM
Quote from: DarkAudit on September 11, 2007, 08:43:39 AM
Too late. I've already got a radar lock on you.

Weapons free. Fire at will.

... But I'd rather fire at Wesley...

aaaaaaaaaaas yooooooooooou wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish *thumpthumpthumpthud!*

Do you think this is a trap?
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 11, 2007, 05:34:54 PM
The loser is nothing. Only the Princess matters.
Quote from: VSMIT on September 11, 2007, 06:48:16 PM
What?  Inconceivable!

VSMIT.
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 11, 2007, 07:08:56 PM
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

(you also misspelt it)

Hooray for Princess Bride references :boogie Awsome movie :cool
I love the "you keep using that word" line :lol
I need to dig it out of strorage and watch it again...been freaking forever...

Zedd

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 11, 2007, 10:35:46 AM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 11, 2007, 10:20:09 AM
She doesn't hold the right for the concept of Succubi and Incubi, but she does hold her exact incarnation of them. I think...
Well, her idea is pretty different from the classical ones.

her idea of 'em aren't uglier than a bucket full of bums, either. =p
to be honest, all creative inspiration i can follow of 'em all come back to her 'cubi, y'see.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Alondro

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 11, 2007, 10:45:28 PM

*Charles stabs Charles with wing tentacles!*  Don't worry, he's only mostly dead, which means he's a little alive!

*Alondro pops up*  All dead and there's only one thing you can do.  Go through their pockets and look for loose change.   :giggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Zedd

Quote from: Alondro on September 12, 2007, 03:50:15 AM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on September 11, 2007, 10:45:28 PM

*Charles stabs Charles with wing tentacles!*  Don't worry, he's only mostly dead, which means he's a little alive!

*Alondro pops up*  All dead and there's only one thing you can do.  Go through their pockets and look for loose change.   :giggle
I dought he would own anything vauleable

GabrielsThoughts

I'm not seeing whatever it is everyone else s seeing, I must be blind. Someone explain it to me, so that I can get the full enjoyment of the moment.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on September 12, 2007, 11:10:35 AM
I'm not seeing whatever it is everyone else s seeing, I must be blind. Someone explain it to me, so that I can get the full enjoyment of the moment.
At the risk of overexplaining, Turnsky has an established webcomic known as The Foxfire Chronicles.  Over the last few years the main character, Luke Reid, has been turned into a fox, given wings and now finds himself stranded on the world of Ariannia in a tattered shirt and jeans.  In the current strip he is purchasing some more appropriate garments.  The shopkeeper offers him a robe suspiciously similar to Dan's, and then a kilt suspiciously similar to Abel's.

I'm assuming you're asking for an explanation of the comic discussed on the first page of the thread, not the babble that comes after it   >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Fex

oooo I now see its Abel's skirt =3

Netrogo

Quote from: Naldru on September 11, 2007, 08:38:53 PM
inconceivable -- According to the Apple Dictionary - not capable of being imagined or grasped mentally

That part of the definition technically makes the word an impossibility. Nothing is inconceivable because to be able to say it's inconceivable you have to first know of it. If I say a talking box is inconceivable I'm wrong, because I just thought of it myself in order to say it's not.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Turnsky

llearch n'n'daCorna

If you look -really- closely, there's a footnote in the comic, as well. ;-]

xHaZxMaTx

I was wondering if anyone noticed that. :P  After all, you don't normally put an asterisk after a word for nothing.

Tapewolf

Quote from: xTaMxZaHx on September 12, 2007, 05:48:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone noticed that. :P  After all, you don't normally put an asterisk after a word for nothing.
That's actually what tipped me off about Abel's gear... I might not have noticed otherwise.

Naldru

I absolutely missed the reference to The Princess Bride until you pointed it out.  I just hope this doesn't mean that the moderators are going to pass out liquid refreshments with poison in all of the cups.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Fuyudenki

Quote from: Naldru on September 12, 2007, 07:02:03 PM
I absolutely missed the reference to The Princess Bride until you pointed it out.  I just hope this doesn't mean that the moderators are going to pass out liquid refreshments with poison in all of the cups.

That's OK, I've been building up an immunity to Iocane powder for several years.

VSMIT

So I won't drink out of the cup in front of you :smile.

VSMIT.

Tapewolf

You know what might be nice?  Moving the Princess Bride stuff into its own thread.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Or we could just stop. Yes, that sounds like a much better plan.

HINT HINT.

Good movie, but enough is enough. Not that I'm being subtle or anything. ;-]

If it -does- continue, then I will shift it all to it's own thread. In the Mine. Locked.

AnizInDisguise

This topic caused me to have to read the entire comic so far, thanks a lot topic creator.

And if you're reading this Turnsky, nice comic. Really hope the hiatus isn't that long.

terrycloth

Quote from: Netrogo on September 12, 2007, 12:37:18 PM
That part of the definition technically makes the word an impossibility. Nothing is inconceivable because to be able to say it's inconceivable you have to first know of it. If I say a talking box is inconceivable I'm wrong, because I just thought of it myself in order to say it's not.

Well, you can describe certain properties of the object without being able to imagine the object. Not 'a talking box', maybe, but 'an 11-dimensional box', perhaps? I know *I* can't get a mental image of that.

'A boat that sails faster than this one' could theoretically be inconceivable, but you'd have to have a *very* bad imagination. :B

Turnsky

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on September 12, 2007, 08:49:22 PM
This topic caused me to have to read the entire comic so far, thanks a lot topic creator.

And if you're reading this Turnsky, nice comic. Really hope the hiatus isn't that long.

just a little while longer, i've got a fair bit of other work i wanna get out of the road first, a four-five page minicomic i owe that's due shortly, a couple of commissions, and a graphical mockup of the new site design itself.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: terrycloth on September 12, 2007, 09:07:56 PM
'A boat that sails faster than this one' could theoretically be inconceivable, but you'd have to have a *very* bad imagination. :B

Nah. If you know enough about sailing, and you know that your boat is about as cutting edge as it gets, the inconceivable bit is -how- they manage to be faster, while using a boat that looks much the same.

Taking it in a slightly different direction, the NZ boat in the America's Cup about ten or fifteen years back had a split keel, in a sort of upside down Y or T shape - I'm unsure, because they kept the thing hidden, as it had a lot to do with how fast they could go, and since they managed to beat everyone else, it's a fair bet that it actually did something useful, in that specific class of boat.

IIRC, they were up against Dennis Conner, who bent the rules sufficiently to run a catamaran as the defender, and it's well known that catamarans are faster than single hulled boats - so all the -other- teams had an immediate +10 THACO to overcome, as it were.

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 13, 2007, 06:29:23 AM
Quote from: terrycloth on September 12, 2007, 09:07:56 PM

Nah. If you know enough about sailing, and you know that your boat is about as cutting edge as it gets, the inconceivable bit is -how- they manage to be faster, while using a boat that looks much the same.

Taking it in a slightly different direction, the NZ boat in the America's Cup about ten or fifteen years back had a split keel, in a sort of upside down Y or T shape - I'm unsure, because they kept the thing hidden, as it had a lot to do with how fast they could go, and since they managed to beat everyone else, it's a fair bet that it actually did something useful, in that specific class of boat.

IIRC, they were up against Dennis Conner, who bent the rules sufficiently to run a catamaran as the defender, and it's well known that catamarans are faster than single hulled boats - so all the -other- teams had an immediate +10 THACO to overcome, as it were.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_II
t'was an aussie boat, thanking you very much.  >:3

Madmann135

Welcome to the Multi-Verse of online comics.

where in one universe a guy gets turned into an anthro-fox, then grows wings, then gets shot out of a space cannon and lands on a distant planet.
Then finds cloths from two incubus in a shop, cloths that look like women's cloths.

Lets not forget that if Lex showed up Aar-kitty would turn him into an angst cubi.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Turnsky

Quote from: Madmann135 on September 14, 2007, 08:00:14 AM
Welcome to the Multi-Verse of online comics.

where in one universe a guy gets turned into an anthro-fox, then grows wings, then gets shot out of a space cannon and lands on a distant planet.
Then finds cloths from two incubus in a shop, cloths that look like women's cloths.

Lets not forget that if Lex showed up Aar-kitty would turn him into an angst cubi.

not space cannon, i just nearly blew up a 64km wide chunk of ukraine.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Turnsky on September 14, 2007, 12:44:26 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_II
t'was an aussie boat, thanking you very much.  >:3

You're right, it was. I'm sorry, it was only 24 years ago, after all... ;-]