08/13/07 [#806] Molesternated

Started by Tapewolf, August 13, 2007, 04:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Quote from: Rafe on August 22, 2007, 04:29:15 AMWow, I never heard anyone say they "hated" Gene Catlow.

I don't actually hate Gene Catlow, but I read it for about a month (and read through the archives), and after a month or so, I realized that nothing ever really happened in the comic.  Nothing changed, but it wasn't like a sitcom where everything reset, it was more like he kept adding story elements that made the plot more complex, but that never actually moved the comic forward, and the strip started getting formulaic and predictable.

So I stopped reading it.  It doesn't mean that I hate it, just that (for me) I don't see the point in reading it.

I remember that Jim Halisstrad had a similar experience.

Quote from: Rafe on August 22, 2007, 04:29:15 AMAnyone else have any comics they hate out there?

Pupkin.  Also, UserFriendly.  JD Frazer's art style bothers me.  That's also why I don't follow XKCD, though I do enjoy XKCD whenever I read it.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Rafe

Quote from: Alondro on August 22, 2007, 10:59:55 AM
I've read Gene Catlow for years.  It sometimes has its slow points, but I think it's interesting for the perspectives on racism and power struggles that it presents.

I've also met Albert and chatted with him.  :) 

Albert Temple looked to be trying some new stuff in the last few months.  It was a little hard to see if it was going to work out or not for a while.  The current GC story (with evil Matt the Matagot and Michele the as-yet-unborn rabbit) is actually pretty entertaining, in my opinion.

Last time I actually got to talk to him was at Conifur about three years ago.  I was at the dealer  table helping David and Katie Hopkins and he had the table next door.  Very nice guy.  I suggested he should help Dave with his grammar and spelling, and he muttered something about his 'Hopkinsese' an went back to doing badges. 

I'll apparently be seeing him in a few months.  A certain DMFA  forumite is getting married, and they've asked  me and Albert Temple to be the groomsmen.
Rafe

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Rafe on August 22, 2007, 10:00:27 PM
I'll apparently be seeing him in a few months.  A certain DMFA  forumite is getting married, and they've asked  me and Albert Temple to be the groomsmen.
Oooo, who's going to be married? :eager

Rafe

I'm sure there'll be an announcement soon enough.  (And I'll let them handle it.)
Rafe

techmaster-glitch

Eibborn

I found Gene Catlow preachy preachy preachy. About as subtle as Jack. In addition, I found the art flat and uninteresting. It just wasn't engaging in the least.
/kicks the internet over

Illusionist

Quote from: Eibbor_N on August 22, 2007, 11:31:32 PM
I found Gene Catlow preachy preachy preachy. About as subtle as Jack. In addition, I found the art flat and uninteresting. It just wasn't engaging in the least.

That's kind of odd - I didn't think Jack was too terribly preachy. Yeah, there are preachy elements, but only about as much as the avarage American TV show. Compare the first few seasons of The Simpsons, for example. Or, it could just be that Jack's characters/storylines/art/whatever distract me from preachiness others can see.

I completely agree about the art though.

Alondro

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 22, 2007, 10:06:55 PM

Charline and Janus!   D:
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Zedd

Quote from: Alondro on August 23, 2007, 03:30:41 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on August 22, 2007, 10:06:55 PM

Charline and Janus!   D:
Hmmm...Thats a scary thought