I know it's pronounced kyoo-bye, and all, but...

Started by MaskedRetriever, July 13, 2007, 05:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Quote from: Naldru on July 21, 2007, 03:49:40 PMI was looking up information on stackable cans.  There was something about cans where the top and bottom were crimped in different ways to achieve stackability.  As I understand it, the top is crimped over the side, but for the bottom, the side is bent inward so that it covers the bottom.  Is this what you are talking about?  The can would actually be the same diameter over the entire height, it's just the crimping technique that makes the bottom slightly smaller.  I never saw anything like this, but I can see how it could be done.

Never seen a can of Campbell's soup before?

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Naldru

All the Cambell's soup cans I have seen have had the top and bottom pieces crimped in the same manner, with end piece being crimped over the side.  I'll take a look the next time I'm in the supermarket, but I haven't seen any cans where the bottom piece has the side metal bent so that it crimps over the end piece.

The following was added based on a later comment.

However, I'm talking about tin plated steel cans.

If the bottom piece is a solid piece of metal, then it is probably an aluminum can.  I don't think steel has enough ductility to be cold extruded into that kind of shape.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Reese Tora

the bottom isn't crimped at all, it's a solid piece with a top crimped on.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Aridas

How does a discussion of pronunciation transition to soup can shapes?

Brunhidden

in a very futile attempt to connect the two all i can come up with is canned laughter, first used on shows like 'i love lucy' who only occasionally had live audiences and couldn't always get them to laugh on cue.

cans rarely meet vocabulary anywhere else...unless you count alphabet soup, but thats more written then oral.

QuoteThis canned laughter is getting stale, whats the expiration date?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Turnsky

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on July 22, 2007, 08:47:12 AM
in a very futile attempt to connect the two all i can come up with is canned laughter, first used on shows like 'i love lucy' who only occasionally had live audiences and couldn't always get them to laugh on cue.

cans rarely meet vocabulary anywhere else...unless you count alphabet soup, but thats more written then oral.

QuoteThis canned laughter is getting stale, whats the expiration date?

or the ol' can of whoopass.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Naldru

We were discussing things that have different ways of being pronounced and alternate spellings
We went to aluminum versus aluminium
It went to tin foil, which is actually aluminum
Then it went to tin cans, which are either aluminum or tin-plated steel

You're right though.  It has gone rather far astray.  No matter how you say, it may be time to can this.

**** Edit was for correction of typo.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Naldru on July 22, 2007, 10:08:04 AM
You're right though.  It has gone rather far astray.  No matter how you say, it may be time to can this.

Can we keep it open, anyway? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Naldru

Okay, llearch, we bring out the can opener and the tale of the can can continue.

However, I wasn't meaning to restrict what others can do.  I think I may stop whipping up the furor.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on July 22, 2007, 07:34:04 AM
How does a discussion of pronunciation transition to soup can shapes?

With Science!

Of course, I'm not so bothered becasue the fora I hang out on elsewhere it's SOP for a thread to go off topic once the core of the original topic has been hashed over.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

LionHeart

Quote from: Naldru on July 22, 2007, 10:20:41 AM
Okay, llearch, we bring out the can opener and the tale of the can can continue.

However, I wasn't meaning to restrict what others can do.  I think I may stop whipping up the furor.

I think you may have opened a can of worms there...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity