I know it's pronounced kyoo-bye, and all, but...

Started by MaskedRetriever, July 13, 2007, 05:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurawyn

Why dose it even matter How its spoken?

It is likely PRINTED.. more often then it is said.. so as long as well all spell it Cubi.. then we all know what it means and how it is said is moot.. IMHO...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aurawyn on July 19, 2007, 01:10:39 AM
You didn't have to rerecord every single line where Merlitz says 'Aaryanna' incorrectly  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Naldru

In Gulliver's Travels, the people of Lilliput fought a war over whether eggs should be eaten with the little side up or the big side up (little-endians versus big-endians).  At least we're not at war over how to pronounce cubi.  (As flame wars go, this one has a very cool flame.)

There was an old sold that went "You  say tomato (mat pronounced as mate), I say tomato (mat pronounced like first syllable of matress)"  I always iked the line that came a little later.  "Let's call the whole thing off."

As far as the recordings go, the logical thing would be to have Amber produce a short audio file of how she feels the names should be pronounced.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Naldru on July 19, 2007, 08:32:04 AM
As far as the recordings go, the logical thing would be to have Amber produce a short audio file of how she feels the names should be pronounced.
Nah, she's gone for a hands-off approach, it being unofficial and all.  What we generally do is standardise one something.  I'm pretty sure we've got Warp-Aci wrong, but as long as everyone says the same thing it doesn't really matter.

Except when Aaryanna herself comes along and says "Um, it should be pronounced Airy-anna..."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Naldru

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 19, 2007, 08:36:31 AM
Quote from: Naldru on July 19, 2007, 08:32:04 AM

Except when Aaryanna herself comes along and says "Um, it should be pronounced Airy-anna..."

I assume that you are referring to Furcadia Aaryanna as opposed to DMFA Aaryanna.  If DMFA Aaryanna is talking to you, we have a different problem.

As I understand it then

For DMFA characters based on Furcadia characters, the owner of the Furcadia character is the authoritative source

For other terms, the group running the DMFA radio show is the authoritative source with respect to usage on the recordings.

If you want consistency on the recordings, the best thing would appear to be a web site somewhere with sound bites of the various names and terms.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

xHaZxMaTx

Quote from: Naldru on July 19, 2007, 08:32:04 AM...I say tomato (mat pronounced like first syllable of matress)"...
Never heard it pronounced like that, before.  I guess it depends on how you pronounce 'mattress,' though.

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 19, 2007, 08:36:31 AMI'm pretty sure we've got Warp-Aci wrong, but as long as everyone says the same thing it doesn't really matter.
How are you pronouncing it?  I always thought it would be pronounced 'atch-ee,' which, now that I look at it, doesn't really make any sense. :/

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 19, 2007, 08:36:31 AMExcept when Aaryanna herself comes along and says "Um, it should be pronounced Airy-anna..."
Wewt, I got it right. :>

DarkAudit

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on July 18, 2007, 10:41:44 PM
Or just let bygones be bygones and let everyone say it how they want to say it.

Doesn't that violate every tenet of fandom?  >:3
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on July 19, 2007, 09:04:08 AM
How are you pronouncing it?  I always thought it would be pronounced 'atch-ee,' which, now that I look at it, doesn't really make any sense. :/

I don't know how everyone else pronounces it, but I say it as Ay-see.
And I'm not going to get into an argument with ANYONE over this!
You say what you want and I'll say what I want!

"Ha-loooooooooooo! This fog is thick as peanut butter!"
"You mean pea soup."
"You eat what you like and I'll eat what I like!"

Aurawyn

Quote from: Tapewolf on July 19, 2007, 08:26:47 AM
Quote from: Aurawyn on July 19, 2007, 01:10:39 AM
You didn't have to rerecord every single line where Merlitz says 'Aaryanna' incorrectly  >:3

Haha.. I forgot about the radio series project..  :mowdizzy

Rithm Alfortele

...Honestly, I pronounce it Kyoo-Bee as well...

I know it should be pronounced Kyoo-Bye, but eh.

Kyoo-Bee sounds better, anyways.  Flows off the tongue better, at least.

Toh-May-Toe, Toh-Mah-Toe.

Ah-Loo-Mihn-Um, Al-Oo-Min-Ee-Um.

(And yes, I know the British pronunciation of Aluminum makes no sense.  Which is exactly why it pertains to this discussion)

xHaZxMaTx

It's actually spelled different (aluminium), so it does make sense.

techmaster-glitch

Zedd

And you call me Zedd or Zedtan...But dont call me Dotty or you'll DIE!!

Reese Tora

Quote from: Zedd on July 19, 2007, 12:42:18 PM

*puts bologna in Zedd's slacks*

Gooood-night, everybody. >:3
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

You'll what? Red blob? What's that supposed to mean?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on July 19, 2007, 04:18:43 PM

You'll what? Red blob? What's that supposed to mean?

If you seen animanics...You'll know the ref

Naldru

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on July 19, 2007, 12:28:10 PM
It's actually spelled different (aluminium), so it does make sense.

The suffix ium is used to indicate an element: barium, chromium, uranium, plutonium, germanium, zirconium, lithium, etc.

Alumina is a mineral from which the metal is extracted, so they called the element aluminium (the element related to alumina).  In terms of the Latin roots, the British spelling and pronunciation is correct, with the American spelling and pronunciation being a simplifying corruption.

A few web references that I saw indicated that the dictionary writers in England were more concerned with keeping the suffixes and prefixes intact, while the dictionary writers in America didn't see a problem with simplifying the word if it was hard to spell.

terrycloth

It's not 'alumina', though, it's 'alum'. So, the classical word for it would be 'alumium'. The discoverer decided to call it 'aluminum' because he thought it sounded better.

Then the british were all 'but metals have to end in 'ium'!' and changed it. But they didn't change it back, they just added another i.

At this rate, it'll eventually be 'aluminimuniuminum', which is how I already pronounce it anyway.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Which, of course, leads to the ludicrous  state of there being only one element with 6 syllables - but which Americans cannot identify, since there are several with 5, but none with six. In America.

The element in question is Praseodymium, or, as the Americans would have it, Praseodymum.

Mashi

Quote from: Zachski on July 19, 2007, 12:25:09 PMAh-Loo-Mihn-Um, Al-Oo-Min-Ee-Um.

(And yes, I know the British pronunciation of Aluminum makes no sense.  Which is exactly why it pertains to this discussion)

My mother and I always jokingly refer to our tin foil as "al-ooh-mihn-ee-yum".

"Sam, you're in charge of the taco shells. Be sure to put enough aluminium down. You always go a little short."

...Actually, she never complains about how much I put down. That's what I do.

Quote from: terrycloth on July 19, 2007, 08:44:31 PMAt this rate, it'll eventually be 'aluminimuniuminum', which is how I already pronounce it anyway.

Haha! Reminds me of my made-up word "affilialfifialfied" which is really just a bastardized version of "affiliated" which for some reason I had trouble pronouncing one day.

Naldru

Quote from: Mashi on July 20, 2007, 01:06:53 PM

"Sam, you're in charge of the taco shells. Be sure to put enough aluminium down. You always go a little short."

Actually, when people purchase tin foil, it's usually made of aluminum.  (Tin cans are actually steel with a lining of tin.  And I suspect that tin snips are mainly used to cut metals other than tin.)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/23/AR2006052300366.html

And by the way, the mineral in aluminum ore that is converted to aluminum is alumina.
www.world-aluminium.org/production/basics.html

I suppose that you could make metallic aluminum from alum, but I don't know if anybody's doing it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

superluser

Quote from: Naldru on July 20, 2007, 05:48:50 PMActually, when people purchase tin foil, it's usually made of aluminum.

It better not be.  I don't think I've ever seen tin foil in my supermarket.  Maybe a long time ago, but now it's always labelled aluminum foil.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Faerie Alex

Quote from: Mashi on July 20, 2007, 01:06:53 PM
Quote from: Zachski on July 19, 2007, 12:25:09 PMAh-Loo-Mihn-Um, Al-Oo-Min-Ee-Um.

*Aluminum to me*
*Aluminium to some*
*You can shine like silver all you want*
*But you're just Aluminum*

Credit where credit is due.

Just reminded me of this.

@Naldru- Interesting, I thought "tin" cans were also made of aluminum now. And I use tinsnips to cut those nasty plastic blister packages. (I think that's it; it's the ones with the double layer adhered band going all-the-way around.)
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Naldru

Quote from: modelincard on July 20, 2007, 06:42:13 PM
@Naldru- Interesting, I thought "tin" cans were also made of aluminum now. And I use tinsnips to cut those nasty plastic blister packages. (I think that's it; it's the ones with the double layer adhered band going all-the-way around.)

I believe that some people refer to aluminum cans as tin cans.  But to me, tin cans are the ones with rhe raised lip at both ends that you can open with a can opener and have a seam down the side and a printed paper label.  You start with three flat sheets of metal that are bent and crimped into shape.  The aluminum cans, which make up almost all of the beverage cans have the bottom and side drawn from a single piece of metal with the top being a separate piece of metal that is crimped into place.

I loked it up in the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), and it says that tin cans is used for both tinplate (steel plated with tin) and aluminum cans.  However, Merriam Webster online just mentions tinplate although it sometimes it is used more broadly to cover cans in general.  In addition OED says it refers to food containers while Merriam-Websters doesn't mention any restrictions on what the can can contain.  Just curious as to whether you are from a Commonwealth country. 

I guess this is another case where the British can complain that the Americans don't speak English.

llearch n'n'daCorna

What annoys me about the whole tin can thing is the way everyone seems to want to make the tins with both ends precisely the same size.

The reason it annoys me is finding cans that have that particularly morphology in New Zealand is a struggle - over there, they've been making them with the bottom end -outside- diameter smaller than the top end -inside- diameter. Which means that they stack neatly on top of each other, and don't fall off. At least, not as easily.

This is more of an issue when you have ~30 odd 1/3rd height cans full of child-sized portions of pasta shapes (usually shaped by Bob, Thomas, etc) none of which stack.

If they'd stack, it'd be far easier to see how many you had, and you could stack them four or five high with no issues - rather than 2-3 and only then with difficulty...

But that's my pet niggle about cans. :-]

Naldru

There are actually American standards for can sizes and these specify that the top and bottom diameters are the same.
http://www.cancentral.com/standard.cfm
It may well be that Australia and New Zealand have a different standard.

Reese Tora

Quote from: Naldru on July 21, 2007, 12:58:46 AM
There are actually American standards for can sizes and these specify that the top and bottom diameters are the same.

izzat so? 'cause more and more cans are turning up with a smaller bottom for ease of stacking in my local stores (SoCal)

Mainly I'm noticing this on canned vegies by DelMonte.(greenbeans and such)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Turnsky

Quote from: Reese Tora on July 21, 2007, 05:42:02 AM
Quote from: Naldru on July 21, 2007, 12:58:46 AM

izzat so? 'cause more and more cans are turning up with a smaller bottom for ease of stacking in my local stores (SoCal)

Mainly I'm noticing this on canned vegies by DelMonte.(greenbeans and such)

your average coke can has a 375ml capacity, i'm not terribly sure what that equates in imperial measurements, however.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Zedd

What a wacky small world we live in..Not to mention is anyone really gonna judge the factor half the world is insane? If so..Stand up and appose now

Naldru

I was looking up information on stackable cans.  There was something about cans where the top and bottom were crimped in different ways to achieve stackability.  As I understand it, the top is crimped over the side, but for the bottom, the side is bent inward so that it covers the bottom.  Is this what you are talking about?  The can would actually be the same diameter over the entire height, it's just the crimping technique that makes the bottom slightly smaller.  I never saw anything like this, but I can see how it could be done.

The plant making the cans would have to be heavily retooled.  Maybe Southern California has some can making plants based on this new design.

One of the notes also stated that regular can openers won't work well on the bottom.