6/25/07 [DMFA #799] - Law of gravity? But then, I never studied law...

Started by Rafe, June 24, 2007, 09:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superluser

Depending on whether there is a large planet-sized mass below Jyrras, I'd probably willingly fall to my death in such a world.  Or, at least, spend eons trying to figure out what real scientific laws exist in the Fae realm.

Quote from: Mischa on June 25, 2007, 12:24:18 AMBah!  Hasn't Jyrras ever heard of the Copenhagen interpretation??  The fae simply apply form of quantum-scale waveform collapse on a macro scale!

*Thinks about that for a second* That's not even wrong.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

kaskar

:mowmeep Do we come out now with the Dumbo sized ears for Jyrras as in # 659 ?  ( Earzilla )
8) Just Hanging Around ...

ShiningShadow

Either that or he has to produce some wings like a Fae and start flapping. >:3

computer nerd

If what you believe come what you can do  in the fae kingdom .why doesn't nutmeg believe she can a child without a fae soul ?  :mowdizzy

Cemalidor

Quote from: kaskar on June 25, 2007, 01:00:34 AM
Quote from: Netrogo on June 24, 2007, 11:55:56 PM
Quote from: kaskar on June 24, 2007, 11:53:13 PM

:mowmeep Will Jyrras, with a bit of effort, try to fall back towards Mab ? Or will he use his ears like Dumbo to get around ?

The most fae kingdom accurate response I can give to all that...

Yes.

:mowhappy Is this where Amber's pic of Jyrras's ears in her sketch of " Earzilla " comes in ?
lol, for some reason the same thing crossed my mind.  :giggle :boogie

Stig Hemmer

Oh Jyrras, don't let gravity get you down.

That horrible pun out of the way, I hope Jyrras knows, and remembers soon, that gravity don't necessarily pulls things DOWN.  Gravity pulls things TOGETHER.  When you spend all you time on top of a very big rock (also known as a "planet") the difference doesn't matter, but when you are in a realm with lots of small rocks, the difference is very important.

There is no down.
Stig Hemmer, at your disservice.

Alondro

Hmm, a place where whatever you believe becomes reality?

How ST-TNG-ish!  This means the Traveller was a Fae!   :U

*wonders how many will recall that episode*  ;)
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

llearch n'n'daCorna

My considered opinion on this is, they're not falling down because Mab is holding them up with magic.

Sheesh. Surely Jyrras can take that, and believe in Mab? ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

bill

Illusionist

I'll still take the cold hand of science over mystical powers any day of the week.

Kajet

You'd think that would be something you tell a visitor to the fae kingdom way ahead of time, that said sounds like a fun place to visit.

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

bill

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Alondro on June 25, 2007, 09:31:38 AM

How ST-TNG-ish!  This means the Traveller was a Fae!   :U

The Traveller? Ain't that that one weird guy who could do things like uber-warp with just his mind and that kind of stuff, and later in the series he returned to take Wesley as his 'apprentice' or something like that?

Quote from: BillBuckner on June 25, 2007, 10:30:41 AM
Quote from: MaskedRetriever on June 25, 2007, 10:27:33 AM
Quote from: Stig Hemmer on June 25, 2007, 09:28:32 AM
There is no down.

The enemy's gate is down.
School made me hate that book.
What? I loved that book! And it's sequals(actually, only Xenocide and Children of the Mind, cuz the library lost the actuall second book in the line. So I only have read the first, third, and fourth books.)

Quote from: Illusionist on June 25, 2007, 10:44:41 AM
I'll still take the cold hand of science over mystical powers any day of the week.
Same here.

Alan Garou

Danny Elfman reference overrules all! Bow down before the soundtrack sorcerer!

Zedd

Accept the conqunces of plumiting and maybe fall really far

Alondro

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 25, 2007, 12:18:16 PM
Quote from: Alondro on June 25, 2007, 09:31:38 AM

How ST-TNG-ish!  This means the Traveller was a Fae!   :U

The Traveller? Ain't that that one weird guy who could do things like uber-warp with just his mind and that kind of stuff, and later in the series he returned to take Wesley as his 'apprentice' or something like that?

Yes.  In the first one with him, he had a lil problem and ended up taking the ship to a strantge place where they're (their... I fail..  :< ) every thought could become physically real. 

ie, the Fae Kingdom!   :U
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

techmaster-glitch

Oh yeah, THAT episode. Now I remember. Hey, now that I think about it, that could have indeed been the Fae kingdom!! :)

Psychogirl

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 25, 2007, 12:18:16 PM
Quote from: BillBuckner on June 25, 2007, 10:30:41 AM
Quote from: MaskedRetriever on June 25, 2007, 10:27:33 AM
Quote from: Stig Hemmer on June 25, 2007, 09:28:32 AM
There is no down.

The enemy's gate is down.
School made me hate that book.
What? I loved that book! And it's sequals(actually, only Xenocide and Children of the Mind, cuz the library lost the actuall second book in the line. So I only have read the first, third, and fourth books.)

The second book (titled "Speaker For the Dead") was mostly about the Pequeninos (those pig-like aliens). I suggest you go to your local library and find that book if you want to complete the story.

bill

I actually liked the second book, but the rest were just "???".

techmaster-glitch

'Speaker for the Dead.' Yeah that was the name, it was in the series list. Though I've never read it, I was able to piece together some of what happened from reading the other books, though, yes, I probably should run down to a local library and find it so I can complete it.

And I really liked 'Xenocide' and 'Children Of The Mind'. They certainly weren't ??? for me.

bill

I don't think I can remember a single thing that happened in Children of the Mind.

Aleolus

Ahh, gravity.  My archenemy.  Is anyone else thinking Matrix, here?
"There are a set of rules.  Rules like gravity.  What you need to learn is that some of these rules can be bent.  Others, can be broken."

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: BillBuckner on June 25, 2007, 02:01:23 PM
I don't think I can remember a single thing that happened in Children of the Mind.

Nothing happened. It was just a set up for the fifth book, which he hasn't finished writing yet.

*cough*

(I exaggerate, but not by much...)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Netrogo

I've never read or heard of these books you guys are talking about. Considering the mixed reactions I'm seeing, should I even bother?
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

bill

The first ones pretty seminal, but the rest aren't terribly necessary.

techmaster-glitch

The first book is call 'Ender's Game'. And to me, the rest are all very good to, and I would personally reccomend NOT skipping over them. Yes, you should bother, they are classics.
Here is the order:
1#Ender's Game
2#Speaker For The Dead
3#Xenocide
4#Children Of The Mind

The are two other books that arn't in the actual series, but are in the same universe and are canon. Those two, however, I never got into. They are:
Ender's Shadow
Shadow Of The Hedgemon

And again, the answer is yes, you should bother with the first four. Read the last two only if you are realy interested.

Kryptic

Naldru

I just had some random thoughts.

With regard to the question as to why some fae hadn't started believing that it could kill other fae permanently.  -- Perhaps some previous king or queen of the fae had passed a law against it.

Actually, what Jyrras needs to do is watch the 1978 Superman movie with Christoper Reeves and Gene Hackman.  Remember the advertisements said that after watching this movie "You'll believe a man can fly."
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.