Natural Selection or Greatest Game Ever?

Started by Netami, June 22, 2007, 02:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valynth

"We were so bored that we decided to play the game of Death!"

From the makers of "The Game of Life."  That'll round out that resume.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Netrogo

Quote from: RJ on June 23, 2007, 12:44:16 AM
Quote from: Netrogo on June 22, 2007, 05:52:11 PM
In all honesty though, I totally approve of games like this. Anyone stupid enough to play them deserves a freaking Darwin Award. Atleast by playing this game and dying they're removing that taint from the gene pool.

Only problem with that is if they're minors, they're disqualified from receiving one. Bummer.  :<

And I thought the 'Fuzzy Bunny' game with the marshmallows was stupid...

Are you sure? I could have sworn that a kid won one years ago. The story as I heard it was this kid who won died by falling off a cliff. He fell off the cliff cuz he was swinging from a cross errected, at the top of the cliff, in honor of a child who had died by falling off the cliff.

This was back in the ninties so maybe they changed the rules recently :erk
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

rabid_fox

Quote from: Kryptic on June 22, 2007, 11:28:25 PM
Ah - But if they were Irish, they'd be even more drunk.

And they'd have a better accent and be hilarious at parties. So you win some, you lose some.

My background is Danish/Isle of Man(ish?) with a pinch of Irish thrown in. The best my history could be known for is pastries and tail-less cats.

Some part of me wonders if there's a high proportion of Emo French Kids...

I know a Manx-Dane. Actually, I teach two Manx-Danes. Manx-Danes tend to rock.

Oh dear.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Netrogo on June 23, 2007, 07:21:12 AM
Quote from: RJ on June 23, 2007, 12:44:16 AM
Quote from: Netrogo on June 22, 2007, 05:52:11 PM
In all honesty though, I totally approve of games like this. Anyone stupid enough to play them deserves a freaking Darwin Award. Atleast by playing this game and dying they're removing that taint from the gene pool.

Only problem with that is if they're minors, they're disqualified from receiving one. Bummer.  :<

And I thought the 'Fuzzy Bunny' game with the marshmallows was stupid...

Are you sure? I could have sworn that a kid won one years ago. The story as I heard it was this kid who won died by falling off a cliff. He fell off the cliff cuz he was swinging from a cross errected, at the top of the cliff, in honor of a child who had died by falling off the cliff.

This was back in the ninties so maybe they changed the rules recently :erk

I think the general jist behind the rule is that:

• It's designed to prevent listing the deaths of children who just did stupid things 'cause they didn't know any better (say, a baby sticking keys in the electric socket, or swallowing magnets).
  • A lot of the stupid shit that kids die over is either mildly attributable to the parents (like keeping a loaded gun on the premises that the kid happens to shoot themselves with) or otherwise accidental/caused by being a novice, not necessarily being stupid.

So... cross-boy qualifies both on abnormally weird and stupid death, with bonus points for irony 'cause it means he knew it'd be way too easy to get killed out there.

The rule's prolly in there just to keep people from flooding Darwin with stupid senseless child deaths.

Aisha deCabre

...And I thought "chicken" was the most dangerous game I've ever seen kids play on my old elementary school playground.  And it was played a foot over the ground on the monkey bars.  And then there are those teenagers who lay their knuckles flat on a table while someone else flings a quarter at it until the skin breaks.   :erk

IMO, it's not that kids are stupid...not all of them anyway.  Kids in that age range--and perhaps there are those in all age ranges--are more than likely testing their own boundaries for the sake of curiosity.  Wherever there is an opportunity for wierd ideas, a kid will often take it.  Children are often more clever than adults give them credit for, yet what they often need is a direction on how to apply it.  More often than not, blame the parents and not the child.

I actually don't see where natural selection comes into play.  If people are born knowing everything that is wrong to do instead of having to be taught, this world would be a lot more overpopulated.   :P  But as for those kids who do it and actually know...again, testing boundaries.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Alondro

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on June 24, 2007, 12:58:14 PMChildren are often more clever than adults give them credit for, yet what they often need is a direction on how to apply it.  More often than not, blame the parents and not the child.

I actually don't see where natural selection comes into play.  If people are born knowing everything that is wrong to do instead of having to be taught, this world would be a lot more overpopulated.   :P  But as for those kids who do it and actually know...again, testing boundaries.

Children are more clever than stupid adults.  They are not more clever than me.  I deceive them everyday and it amuses me immensely.   >:3

And if people were born knowing everything that is wrong to do, we'd actuallly have fewer people, because then you wouldn't have uneducated poor people with 12 kids thhey can't even feed properly.   Natural selection is a misnomer; selection implies an active, deliberate process.  The reality is it's simply the idiots wiping themselves out by their own stupid actions.  It's like the dimwits in NJ who shoved fireworks down their pants and such when they were still legal.   They sterilized themselves, thus their 'stupid genes' would never be passed on!  Now, those who carry them are free to breed without this useful limiting factor, thanks to pansy pricks who want to save everyone from anything that could hurt them (ie, liberals).   >:3

We must decrease the surpluss population!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

bill

You know, Alondro, you'd make a great fascist dictator, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Arcalane

Natural Selection. The gene pool is evolving and developing new ways to cleanse itself. >:3

ITOS

Quote from: Alondro on June 24, 2007, 02:39:21 PM

Agreed. This terrible outbreak must be contaminated. Where is a Halo when you need one?

Anyway... Did anyone meantion the game where you use an eraser to rub off your skin?
There is no real point to the game, you just rub until you start to bleed.
This generic comment was brought to you by:

Eibborn

Natural selection is a misnomer; selection implies an active, deliberate process. 

Not true, actually. I'm a member of the secret counsel that selects the next person to undergo 'natural selection.' I'll nominate you for a position, if you'd like. >:D
/kicks the internet over

thegayhare

the weirdest thing I ever did was putting pressure on my eyelids with my thumbs to I could see the color patterns

xHaZxMaTx

That reminds me of 28 Days/Weeks Later. :<  Out of the whole two movies, that's what freaked me out the most.

Valynth

The most dangerous thing I've done is gone 80 in a 45 MPH zone.  As per usual when I speed it was a completely empty multi-lane road, so I guess it wasn't really that dangerous, unless you count the ticketing that I didn't get.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Alondro

Quote from: Eibbor_N on June 24, 2007, 03:44:10 PM
Natural selection is a misnomer; selection implies an active, deliberate process. 

Not true, actually. I'm a member of the secret counsel that selects the next person to undergo 'natural selection.' I'll nominate you for a position, if you'd like. >:D

*erfs*  Shaddup!  No one's supposed to know!   :shifty
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Caswin

Quote from: Alondro on June 24, 2007, 02:39:21 PMChildren are more clever than stupid adults.  They are not more clever than me.  I deceive them everyday and it amuses me immensely.   >:3

And if people were born knowing everything that is wrong to do, we'd actuallly have fewer people, because then you wouldn't have uneducated poor people with 12 kids thhey can't even feed properly.   Natural selection is a misnomer; selection implies an active, deliberate process.  The reality is it's simply the idiots wiping themselves out by their own stupid actions.  It's like the dimwits in NJ who shoved fireworks down their pants and such when they were still legal.   They sterilized themselves, thus their 'stupid genes' would never be passed on!  Now, those who carry them are free to breed without this useful limiting factor, thanks to pansy pricks who want to save everyone from anything that could hurt them (ie, liberals).   >:3

Your words are... more compelling than usual, Alondro.  This frightens me.  :<
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

Eowyn

What Eowyn types- bbbggggg      hhhhhaaat,,,,,,,  ppppppprrr
What Eowyn says- bag hat, paper paper wheee
What Eowyn means- i like wearing bags for hats, paper bags make fun sounds and especially the wiliams sonoma bags cause they make me look like a British guard

TheGreyRonin

Interesting. The local kids went through this "game" ten or so years ago.

Kind of odd that they were ahead of the times, considering they still consider dressing like rappers from the 90's to be cool.

Alondro

Quote from: Eowyn on June 26, 2007, 01:13:24 PM
What Eowyn types- bbbggggg      hhhhhaaat,,,,,,,  ppppppprrr
What Eowyn says- bag hat, paper paper wheee
What Eowyn means- i like wearing bags for hats, paper bags make fun sounds and especially the wiliams sonoma bags cause they make me look like a British guard

See what I mean?  Fireworks in the pants would've kept the above post from being typed!

*Charles knows all and sees all... unless he takes his glasses off, then he's really nearsighted  :< *

AngelSephy

:mowninja I say we unleash the Mow Ninja and allow them to do the selecting!

I really think these 'games' are nature's way of purging the gene pool from unwanted strands. I just wish it was morally-selective.*coughskillcoughskkkcoughs*

But the fact that it seems today that children are more influential(is this the right word?) and are also more willing to do anything just for the hell of it, is kind of troubling. I see why they want to get a quick high because of how stressful school is. They're being given more to do. Also, let's not forget about the seeming-increase in school-violence! As much as I have disdain for the use of some drugs(I think pot should be legalized honestly), I can understand the reasoning behind it.

And I was going to mention the sexual asphixiation(sp?) done by adults, but that was already covered, so I will end my note on that here.

And I do believe that the social media is pretty much responsible for getting the information to do stupid things out so that more and more children can mimic the ones being covered. Were it not for the media's "outrage" on the Hot Coffee mod, I would have never known about it(I thought it was funny actually). As much as I hate admitting it, parents and children are both equally responsible on the matters of children doing stupid crap. The children should know better, but the parents need to keep better tabs on their kids without enforcing the invasive aspects of it.

My parents taught me everything about drugs, sex and drinking. They told me about their experiences of using the drugs, instead of trying to hide it like the majority of parents do. I think it's crap that so many parents try to make themselves look, "holier then thou", when they were actually doing more drugs and partying then any given person can count! This is a time when honesty is the best policy! I stayed away from doing drugs because of the fact that you don't know what is being put in them now. Back when my parents were teens, drugs(though still a little bad), were considerably more "pure" in their overall form. Cleaners and other household items weren't being added in until more around the early-mid 90's it seems like.

Anyway, I guess I kinda got offtopic. I'm sorry. :mowdizzy

superluser

(How did I miss this one?)

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on June 24, 2007, 12:58:14 PM...And I thought "chicken" was the most dangerous game I've ever seen

No, no.  Man is the most dangerous game.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

xHaZxMaTx

thegayhare

Quote from: xHaZxMaTx on June 27, 2007, 05:19:14 PM
I thought it was playing God.

Nah cause most people consider sim titles like black and white and the sims to be harmless

xHaZxMaTx

That's not playing God, that's playing a Black and White or the Sims. :P

thegayhare

yeah but your god in thse games

*giggles*

Feroluce

Quote from: thegayhare on June 25, 2007, 10:40:29 PM
the weirdest thing I ever did was putting pressure on my eyelids with my thumbs to I could see the color patterns

weirdly enough, I did this as well. Those patterns were cool and kept getting more complicated.

I stopped after a while tho, since I hated the thought of wearing glasses.  or getting headaches. -shrug-

Alondro

Quote from: Feroluce on July 01, 2007, 04:27:35 AM
Quote from: thegayhare on June 25, 2007, 10:40:29 PM

weirdly enough, I did this as well. Those patterns were cool and kept getting more complicated.

I stopped after a while tho, since I hated the thought of wearing glasses.  or getting headaches. -shrug-

Actually I see those colors every time I close my eyes!

*someone else*  That's cuz you're retarded.

*Charles*   :<