Return

Started by Brunhidden, June 10, 2007, 09:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brunhidden

allo, i just got back from vacation and its interesting enough to share...trust me, its not the normal series of stupid slides and whatnot, i have weird vacations.

my wife, toddler, and i all went up to a time share my wifes parents got in Eagle River, Wisconsin, back in the 80s when it was cheap. its a beautiful little town in the middle of nowhere that just so happens to be where snowmobiles were invented. the trees are everywhere, to the point its hard to find buildings, and theres more lakes per square mile then starbucks in new york.

every vacation i take i seem to find at least one bumper sticker that ive never seen before and boggles my mind. this year it was "i poke badgers with spoons"....if ANYONE understands that please let me know.

last year, when my daughter was only one and a half years old, we were in a diner upon arriving and she picked the pocket of the waitress. it was only straws, so she put them back and tried to dig for the tips in the waitresses other pocket. for some reason this earned us some free fruit for her. this year we stopped at a retro 50s style soda parlor which somehow survived to present day with its original tables, and a full page and a half on the menu devoted to soda varieties... my little girl won the hearts of the entire wait staff, tried to steal an antique 7 up bottle, wore the napkin dispenser as a hat, and astonished everyone by preffering nuts instead of a hot fudge sundae.

one full day we had to stay inside our room due to a tornado warning, and golf ball sized hail. this day was spent mixing drinks and playing board games. the drink of choice was blue raspberry vodka mixed with mountain dew, we call it a 'gummi worm' cuz it tastes just like the candy. drunk scrabble is not half as fun as drunk monopoly, and just before we set up the board for strip scrabble a show on the history of metals came on the TV to distract us and we fell asleep.... im not even sure if that makes us nerds or what, but it must be abnormal to drop everything to watch something on the bronze age and how the Bessemer converter was invented.

my daughter Eowyn got to swim wearing one of those bathing suits with flotation pads in it that looks kind of like shes a miniature ninja turtle, and had fun with squirrels. she was so upset the squirrels did not want to be friends, so she tried to chase ants...which are hard to chase when they're slower then you. Eowyn also got to see fire, lots of it, when i used the charcoal grill a few times to make experimental hamburgers and some kind of corn flambes. as a side note, never try to invent new foods unless you have plenty of condiments to overpower any mistakes you make.

an attraction we missed out on (due to tornado and hail) was that someone had made a replica pirate ship and gave 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hour tours on the lakes. i don't know much about it but its a really cool ship, and not half as cool as the trailer to carry it and the pirate themed bumper stickers attached, which i saw as it sat waiting for repairs. you don't usually have much excuse to buy pirate themed bumper stickers.

if i find any good pictures of my red eyed toddler doing something incredible i will put them up, otherwise i will spare you from vacation slides.

QuoteHumor is the first of the gifts to perish in a foreign tongue.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

*giggle* kids can be so cute.

Even when they're doing stuff (like pickpocketing) that would get an adult arrested....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on June 10, 2007, 09:09:53 AM
every vacation i take i seem to find at least one bumper sticker that ive never seen before and boggles my mind. this year it was "i poke badgers with spoons"....if ANYONE understands that please let me know.
I belive the line comes from an Eddy Izzard bit where he is complaining about Original sin and how hard it must be to come up with an orriginal sin.

"Father I must confess I've commited adultery"
"Heard it, I only want orriginal sins"
"Oh terribly sorry"

"Father I must confess I poked a badger with a spoon"
"Ohh thats the first time I heard that one,  infact I think thats the most orriginal sin I've heard all week."

Wow I've got to admit your vacation sounds cool.  I just wonder how come when your daughter steals stuff people love her.

I wish I could have seen the pirate ship

Brunhidden

Quote from: thegayhare on June 10, 2007, 07:55:43 PM
Wow I've got to admit your vacation sounds cool.  I just wonder how come when your daughter steals stuff people love her.

thats because she has my eyes, look in my sig for a picture and imagine that on the cutest little girl you can imagine. shes unstoppable. and yes, our eyes do have red pupils, lets us see in the dark.

ive got a brochure somewhere, i think i can find a website for the place that gives the tours- they'll have pictures.

QuoteThink of yourself as an incandescent power, illuminated and perhaps forever talked to by God and his messengers.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on June 11, 2007, 12:08:03 AM
thats because she has my eyes, look in my sig for a picture and imagine that on the cutest little girl you can imagine. shes unstoppable. and yes, our eyes do have red pupils, lets us see in the dark.

Really? And here I thought that was just a bad case of red-eye in the photo...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

King Of Hearts

I always do love Brun's posts... so eloquent.

Brunhidden

Quote from: thegayhare on June 10, 2007, 07:55:43 PM

here it is

http://www.pirates-hideaway.com/

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 11, 2007, 06:39:08 AM
Really? And here I thought that was just a bad case of red-eye in the photo...

no, its always like that with us. if you EVER see a photo of either of us with black pupils it has been photoshoped. creeps my wife out how i leave all the lights off and can move normally while she walks into walls, little Eowyn however is still at the stage that she does not like the dark.

its been days and i still haven't washed my car- up in the north lands the treesex isn't just enough to make you sneeze, it leaves green tree spoodge covering your car and the windshield/grill is so encrusted with mosquito corpses there literally is no more room for them.

QuoteWe ust find our duties in what comes to us, not in what might have been.

Jim Halisstrad

Green.  Tree.  Spooge...

Anyway, sounds like you had fun on your trip :3  Just for curiosities sake, what kind of experimental hamburgers were you trying to make?

thegayhare

good point

maybe I can help you perfect them?

Brunhidden

the hamburgers were designed with two things in mind
1- we did not want to make multiple trips to a store, and the grill was crappy. so try to make a burger that will not stick or try to absorb the grate
2- we had forgotten condiments so try to create a burger that is flavorful and juicy enough not to need them

the problem is obviously that any burger thats juicy and flavorful instantly tries to hug the grill like a desperate lover. we mixed the meat for two burgers with one egg, and added a ludicrous amount of Italian seasoned bread crumbs, a healthy wad of butter, some shreded cheese, more bread crumbs, salt, pepper, a bit of milk, and hoped that some PAM grill formula spray would help.

what we ended up with, unsurprisingly, was some form of italian meatloaf patty whcih tasted great but was as dry as the kaiser rolls we had them on. they also burned exceptionally easy

QuoteOnce a man has some money, peace begins to sound good to him.