Good TV shows In general what are they and where can they be found?

Started by GabrielsThoughts, June 13, 2007, 03:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

list television shows past and present that are of high, or obscure quality.

Brimstone: this is the story of a police detective that was sent to hell for killing the man that raped and murdered his wife in cold blood. fifteen years later  113 of the most violent souls escaped from hell, or were released from hell. The detective however, was chosen By Lucifer to retrieve the lost souls and return them to hell. As a reward the detective would have his humanity restored.

Arrested Development: The story of rich people forced to live in poverty when the head of the family is wanted in connection aiding Sadam Huissain.

Sopranos: the first 3 seasons were awesome.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

xHaZxMaTx

Modern Marvels on the History Channel.  I swear, I've learned more stuff from this show than I ever have in school. :lol

thegayhare

How it's made
It's oddly addictive

and I like some of the bizzare weapons of WW2 shows history channel puts on

as for purely entertaining shows
Heroes, Dr Who and a few others

Ryudo Lee

I usually catch X-Play on G4, though it's been running into reruns a lot, considering they've pretty much run out of new games to review.  That and Cheat! is a decent show too.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Valynth

Things I find good to watch:

Modern Marvels  (history channel)
Mail Call  (history channel)
The Deadliest Catch  (discovery)
Myth Busters  (discovery)
Dirty Jobs  (discovery)
X-Play  (G4 Tech T.V.)

As well as various history channel documentaries.  About the only time I change from those channels is for Cartoonnetwork's Toonami(Naruto) and their Adult Swim (Bleach and Blood +)
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Ryudo Lee

You know what's turned out to be a surprisingly good show on Cartoon Network?  Shaolin Showdown.  Well, it surprised me the first time I sat and watched it.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

Edge of Darkness (1985)
A gripping thriller about an illicit nuclear reprocessing plant.  And GAIA theory.
Starring
Bob Peck, Joe Don Baker
Memorable lines
"All I have to do is bring these two bars together... a criticality!  Two hundred rads, ladies and gentlemen... a lethal dose at a hundred yards.  Get it while it's hot!"
Availability
UK DVD.  US unknown

Dr. Who - Face of Evil (1977)
Tom Baker meets Leela on a planet where the savage inhabitants believe that he's the Evil One.
Starring
Tom Baker, Louise Jameson
Memorable lines
Doctor's voice (from communicator): "At last... us."
Doctor: "Us?"
Voice: "You... me... us... we... at last 'I' shall be free of 'us'."
Doctor: "Who are you?"
Voice: "Don't I know?"
Availability unknown

The Box of Delights (1985)
Young Kay Harker is entrusted with a strange magical box from a 500-year old punch-and-judy man.  Warning: contains fursuits.
Starring
Patrick Troughton, Robert Stephens, Philip Locke
Memorable lines
Arnold of Todi: "'Tis well known the English have tails.  You have not, so you are not English."
---
Rat: "Well, I do like a drop of rum.  Not because I like it, it's poison, but without it I can't stand the climate.  Happy days gents... ladies..."   (crushes glass with his paw)  "Ahhh, that's the stuff!  Poison, but I can feel it doin' me good all the way down..."
---
Abner Brown: "STUBBORN!  YOU'RE ALL STUBBORN!  Well I can be stubborn too.  If one of you tells me where that package is you shall all be home by midnight tonight if not...  I will last.  And the Earth will last.  But on dry bread and water I don't think YOU WILL!"
Availability UK DVD, US unknown

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Zorro

techmaster-glitch

I also go with Mythbusters and X-play. They actually are putting up a new episode abut three tmes a week, in an update schedule like the main DMFA comic lol. They even made a coment on said pdate schedule when a vidio viewer mail asked about it.
Thay are halarious as hell.
The Mythbusters are total goofballs, but in a good way. I mean that :)

Unreliabel Dragon

Lost is a good show. Too bad the season finished and the new episodes wont be on until i think next year.

bill

Awesomeness. The first season is the best I've seen so far, but I've heard that the fourth is even better.

WARNING: Tits

Angel

House is good. But the season finale a while ago has me worried. You can see it on FOX.

Firefly is a great one too, but it's no longer on the air. The box set is out there though. Other great ones that stopped after a few episodes: The Black Donnellys (not for long if I can help it!), Invader ZIM

EDIT: Wait! All Episodes of Black Donnellys are online now! Thank goodness!
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

xHaZxMaTx

bill

Massive Plus One for Top Gear. Can't see it in the US, unfortunately.

xHaZxMaTx

bill

xHaZxMaTx

Pretty sure they did, but Top Gear's site says it's off the air, for now. :/

Of course, you could watch it on TV-Links, so I guess it doesn't really matter. :3

bill

They used to show it on Discovery, until it got pulled for no reason.

Hustle is a good show, but this season is rather weak. The first season was utter magic, though.

Unreliabel Dragon

The most extreme on aminal planet is good and Courage the cowardly dog

JackLee1978

IFC Friday night anime lineup (Between Henry Rollins and The Grindhouse)
Samurai 7 - Horrible idea (Seven Samurai, future setting, Kikuchiyo as a Robot), turned out the be the best anime that aired last year.
Gunslinger Girl - Teenage girls who are cyborg assassins. What's not to love.
Basilisk - Romeo & Juliet + Ninja Scroll (which comes from the same source) = An excellent, but tragic series. (Rated the TV equivalent of R for blood, nudity and sex)

A&E - Poirot and Sherlock Holmes

G4 - X-Play, Attack of the Show and Ninja Warrior

Kryptic

Ned's Declassified on Nick. It's cheesy, but I like it.

I'm also a Mythbusters fan. ^^  :leatherguy It's Jamie! Ohemgee!

I was lucky enough to find the channel on my Dish that has Funimation TV. Fruits Basket, baby!

And Monk's always funny. A detective with OCD. What will they think up next?

And, um... I'm a Narutard... :animesweat

Aridas

I don't think it's just OCD. I think he's a total clean freak. I've seen the show before. if I remember correctly, he hates anything being out of order and doesn't like unclean things either. I know i'm half right anyway.

Kryptic

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on June 15, 2007, 12:36:47 AM
I don't think it's just OCD. I think he's a total clean freak. I've seen the show before. if I remember correctly, he hates anything being out of order and doesn't like unclean things either. I know i'm half right anyway.

The show lists him as being OCD.

The man irons his SHOELACES. He needs an assistant for daily living, and when confronted with a sheet of bubble-wrap, he had to pop every single bubble.

If that ain't OCD - I don't know what is.

He also has many, many, phobias.

Aridas

Cvstos

I have to throw in my votes for Scrubs and Good Eats.  Always awesome. 
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." -Albert Einstein

Llewelyn

Since the past is under-represented...

Babylon 5 - Rocks.  You have to watch all 5 seasons in order though to get the most out of it.  ONly available in box sets to my knowledge.

Battlestar Galactica - Both old and new.  They each ahve their own point.  New is on TV and DVD. Old, I don't know about.

Exosquad - A cartoon, but very win.  Only available on Internets because the buggers won't put out DVDs ;.;

Star Trek TNG - Do I even need to say anything?  On DVD and on Spike I believe.

Red Dwarf - Great British comedy.  DVD, and not sure if it's airing anywhere or not.

Saist

Top Gear : http://bbc.co.uk/topgear

shown on : BBC-2

[LINK REMOVED]

bill

rabid_fox

Top Gear is glorious. Also, Brainiac, which Richard Hammond (god bless the Hamster) presents.

Also, The Simpsons and Futurama deserve a mention.

And you know what? Friends is ace.

Oh dear.

bill