In Soviet Russia, video games play YOU

Started by Ryudo Lee, June 07, 2007, 10:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryudo Lee

http://www.wired.com/gaming/hardware/multimedia/2007/06/gallery_soviet_games

I got this today in my RSS feed.  It's photos from a museum of old Soviet-era arcade games.  The owners of the museum are working to get them back into working order (or as best as they can).  It's a really nifty site for those of us that enjoy retro stuff.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Aridas

Ryudo Lee

Some of them can't be put into MAME, unfortunately.  Several of the games mix both computer programming and mechanical devices, and one of them actually use neon tubes.  Can't get much more retro than that.

Zedd

Sorry for busting some bubble of your joke but when I hear that joke...I think of one video Warning NSFW and those dont get a simple joke

Nimrods Son

and I thought they didn't have this stuff in the Eastern Block... or was that a rich people only thing?
Cause in Eastern Germany, there was no video/ arcade gaming at all, and the DDR's lelvel of living was fair beyond the rest of the Soviet union - except, perhabs, for Moscow.

Ryudo Lee

I would think that it was more of a luxury that people would only be able to afford once a month, since the amount of money needed to play a game would be enough to buy the most basic needs for living.