[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprocketsdance

Wow.. I can see why you're torn.. she is GOOD! But I think I like her as Shanna better, you can feel the fire! Shanna has a lot of personality to her and Aisha certainly can play that. Though I would like to hear Keaton on it too if it'll still be a tentative thing.

Oh, and Tape.. I e-mailed you three different Anna voices.. let me know what you think =)

Gabi

Aisha has a nice voice. :3 I liked the Kass recording better, but that's just my opinion.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 13, 2009, 06:51:20 PM
Oh, and Tape.. I e-mailed you three different Anna voices.. let me know what you think =)

I preferred the second rendition I think, the others sounded a little forced.

Quote from: Gabi on May 13, 2009, 07:10:49 PM
Aisha has a nice voice. :3 I liked the Kass recording better, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I always felt a little guilty that she voiced Moira, who promptly appeared exactly once in the next 500 strips  :rolleyes

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Sprocketsdance

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 13, 2009, 07:16:16 PM
I preferred the second rendition I think, the others sounded a little forced.

Okie dokes, noted. I guess I'll get to work.  :boogie

Aisha deCabre

I'm quite honored that you guys like my voice-acting, though I think I messed up in a few places, both parts were fun to do. ^^  I'm rather torn myself which role I'd like, if I can't have both.  I'm not selfish.  :B

Keaton has informed me via MSN that she'll do the two-headed Mythos; Shanna is mine if I want, and that'll be fine with me, if it's fine with you guys.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 13, 2009, 05:29:30 PM
I asked Aisha if she was interested in the role of Kass or possibly Shanna.  I'm now completely torn between the two of them:

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/Kass-Aisha.mp3

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/Shanna-Aisha.mp3

...she does both very well.  Keaton has been tentatively offered the role of Shanna, but I'm thinking she'd also do well as the blue mythos girl(s).

Anyway, I've posted the two demos here - I'd be interested to know what people think.

Heh, I'm having a little trouble myself....  Which is a shame since I sent my audition for Graz and so I listened to the Kass file with my own in mind, to imagine how our voices would sound back and forth....

With Kass, she did a pretty good job--not exactly what I was expecting, but good.  It might upstage my performance unless I were to do another take with hers in mind....  Then again, maybe not--Graz strikes me as more low-key compared to Kass, kind of foils for each other, so it might even work better than if I were to do another take....

But Shanna was good too, and the only complaint I had with that was that I didn't really get the sort of playful tone that Shanna has in earlier posts--granted, she's not being playful there, and I DID get that from the Kass take, so maybe that's moot, but that performance sounded somewhat inconsistent from the "silly" Shanna in the earlier strips--meaning it was hard to imagine the two as the same character....

I really don't know....  MAYBE Kass rather than Shanna but that'd be a VERY close race, like a hair's breadth....  And I might change my mind if I heard her do ALL of Shanna's lines instead of just that sample....

Aside: when I realized you did Moira's voice, Aisha...wow.  I REALLY loved your voice for her, more than even a lot of the voices I've already heard for this project, so while I don't want to influence your decision, I have to say I'd be honored if you did Kass, and my voice were to go with yours.  :D

Then again, with such a voice, Shanna would give a better opportunity for a larger performance, and I don't want to be selfish either....

I'm stymied.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 13, 2009, 08:23:50 PM
Then again, with such a voice, Shanna would give a better opportunity for a larger performance, and I don't want to be selfish either....

I'm stymied.

Well, just to confuse things even further, I don't know if Vaudy is still in the game.  If not, Aisha would make a pretty awesome Destania.

Gabi

She would... but how many characters will she get?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on May 14, 2009, 09:16:44 AM
She would... but how many characters will she get?

Unless the VA is good at doing distinctly different voices I prefer to have one character per voice.  What I'm trying to decide here is which character Aisha is best for.  It's not really my intention to have her play more than one else it will end up sounding like Oblivion which only had about two female voices for the entire game.

Two small parts where the characters are spaced far apart I can cope with, but otherwise it can get confusing without the video track (which will happen much later).

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 14, 2009, 07:37:55 AM
Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 13, 2009, 08:23:50 PM

I'm stymied.

Well, just to confuse things even further, I don't know if Vaudy is still in the game.  If not, Aisha would make a pretty awesome Destania.

Destania...me?  *sugar-eyes* Wow.  Dangit, I'm flattered. x3

Oh, erm...anyway, if I may cut in...I think fate is going to choose for us.  I was looking over all of Shanna's lines, and I realized that I'm not going to have the house to myself for a long time yet...thus unless you're intent on waiting a while for the more boisterous parts of Shanna, such as the loud cackling laughter or any proper shouting, if I do those while my parents are in the house (one who is rather ill) then I'm going to get in trouble.

So unless that's a bit much trouble for the busy schedule I know this thing has, heh, then the Shanna lines can be left up in the air and me left with Kass for the time being.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

You know what?  I think Destania would probably be best.  If Vaudy's still game, I'll ask her about Kass.

Aisha, if you're up for it, I could do with the following strips:

726 (this will probably be used in the intro)
873 (last two frames)
936 (this will require raised voices)

There's more, the earlier arcs where Alexsi, Biggs and Destania are talking, but they can wait.

Aisha deCabre

A chance to voice Destania, I certainly am up for it.  8)  Thanks for the strips, Tape, I'll get to work on them soon.  I've even been informed that I'll have the house to myself later, so I'll even be able to try the raised-voice strip with hopefully good effort.

My apologies to Baal as well that I may not voice Kass opposite your character, but I'm still quite honored to have been recognized by the members here.  :3

EDIT: There we go.  My first try at Dee.  The longer dialogues took a couple of takes, as it was interesting to have Destania go from motherly to full of rage. x3  See how it's liked.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Baal Hadad

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on May 15, 2009, 05:59:12 PM
My apologies to Baal as well that I may not voice Kass opposite your character, but I'm still quite honored to have been recognized by the members here.  :3

No need for apologies.  :)  Destania's a tempting character to provide the voice for, and with your talent I know you'll do a great job!

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Baal Hadad on May 15, 2009, 09:14:26 PM
Quote from: Aisha deCabre on May 15, 2009, 05:59:12 PM

No need for apologies.  :)  Destania's a tempting character to provide the voice for, and with your talent I know you'll do a great job!

Glad to hear it. :3  Just thought I'd make sure.

Also, if anyone didn't notice, I edited my last post to include my tries on Destania; just in case nobody saw.  Just lemme know if anything else needs to be done.
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Sprocketsdance

Sorry Tapewolf but I'm unable to properly do Anna >_< I can't make my voice much different from Aliyka for the rest of the strips that Anna is in. It's best if someone else can do her. I'd still like to help any way I can but maybe I've done all I could do voice-wise. I'll still work on recruiting girls that I know..

Say, do you think we could advertise around here for more female voices? Maybe there are some girls who don't know about the radio project.. or are too shy to join? I'd rather see a voice (err.. hear a voice) of a forumite rather than someone who has no idea of DMFA.. granted that's a bit idealistic.. but it's just my opinion.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on May 17, 2009, 03:14:03 PM
Also, if anyone didn't notice, I edited my last post to include my tries on Destania; just in case nobody saw.  Just lemme know if anything else needs to be done.

I didn't see it, no - now that I've heard them, I think you did a good job.  The gritted teeth worked well.  It did trail off a little at the end of Destania's hate speech rather than going into some kind of climax - that's the only thing I think could be improved.

If you're interested, I recorded this last october:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/jm_destania.wav.mp3
...there are three takes of the speech if you want to play around with redoing the end of it, the second take probably has the best ending from a climactic point of view and IMHO the last take has the best buildup.

EDIT:
Note that this kind of shouting can be a bit difficult to do unless you have a limiter, which I do.  Otherwise it can overload.  One technique is to recording the shouting part separately with the recording volume turned down.

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 17, 2009, 08:10:35 PM
Sorry Tapewolf but I'm unable to properly do Anna >_< I can't make my voice much different from Aliyka for the rest of the strips that Anna is in. It's best if someone else can do her. I'd still like to help any way I can but maybe I've done all I could do voice-wise. I'll still work on recruiting girls that I know..

Okay, thanks. 

QuoteSay, do you think we could advertise around here for more female voices? Maybe there are some girls who don't know about the radio project.. or are too shy to join? I'd rather see a voice (err.. hear a voice) of a forumite rather than someone who has no idea of DMFA.. granted that's a bit idealistic.. but it's just my opinion.

I don't know.  Something I've noticed is that guys are far more eager to do this sort of thing.  I've never figured that out  :rolleyes

I have on occasion cold-called people about this but it's not something I particularly like doing, to be honest I do have a bit of a problem talking to people, especially with people I don't know very much.  Then you find that they don't have a mic or something.

The one scenario I'm dreading which has never yet happened is asking someone who is actually a guy in real life...

Sprocketsdance

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 17, 2009, 08:34:44 PM

I don't know.  Something I've noticed is that guys are far more eager to do this sort of thing.  I've never figured that out  :rolleyes

That is very strange... perhaps girls find the voice to be a bit more of a personal thing than guys.. *shrugs*

I have on occasion cold-called people about this but it's not something I particularly like doing, to be honest I do have a bit of a problem talking to people, especially with people I don't know very much.  Then you find that they don't have a mic or something.

Perhaps it'd be a bit too much like spamming to PM random girls asking them if they have a mic and are interested in using it for good.. but.. maybe can you put up a list of all the girls so far that are participating? So that perhaps if I strike up a conversation with someone that isn't on the list I could bring the subject up...  >:3

The one scenario I'm dreading which has never yet happened is asking someone who is actually a guy in real life...

I can definitely understand that; If I was a guy I couldn't do it. Even as a girl I'd have to syke myself up to do it XD. Luckily we aren't hurting for guy VA's so chances are you won't have to undertake such a drastic action :). I don't really have gal friends that live around me so I get lucky and only have to type it out to them =).

Maybe someday I can advertise for DMFA in the mall.. get more mone... I mean followers for Amber =). Of course that would have to be a very quirky day for me.. and would have to be approved beforehand.. but I could see it happening XD.

Aisha deCabre

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on May 17, 2009, 03:14:03 PM

I didn't see it, no - now that I've heard them, I think you did a good job.  The gritted teeth worked well.  It did trail off a little at the end of Destania's hate speech rather than going into some kind of climax - that's the only thing I think could be improved.

If you're interested, I recorded this last october:
http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/jm_destania.wav.mp3
...there are three takes of the speech if you want to play around with redoing the end of it, the second take probably has the best ending from a climactic point of view and IMHO the last take has the best buildup.

EDIT:
Note that this kind of shouting can be a bit difficult to do unless you have a limiter, which I do.  Otherwise it can overload.  One technique is to recording the shouting part separately with the recording volume turned down.

Ah, alright; thanks for letting me know.  Heh, when I tried to record that line the first time I had to go through a couple of takes, because I was trying to make it sound right, and because I was trying to eliminate any popping noises that I could inadvertently cause, which could have distracted me a little.

I hope this time it turns out better.  I turned the input volume down in Audacity and gave my voice a workout, and this was the best outcome.  This may be the last time I can try it that loud without getting into trouble, so hopefully it oughta be good. x3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aisha deCabre on May 18, 2009, 01:39:19 PM
I hope this time it turns out better.  I turned the input volume down in Audacity and gave my voice a workout, and this was the best outcome.  This may be the last time I can try it that loud without getting into trouble, so hopefully it oughta be good. x3

Yes, that's good.  It does go into distortion on the last word, though, which is unfortunate.  What I'll probably do is take both recordings and combine the best bits of each.

Thanks again.

Memo to self: check list of required Abel recordings against existing recordings:
811, 861-865, 951-956, 958-959, 992-993

llearch n'n'daCorna

<comment></comment>
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Baal Hadad

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 19, 2009, 10:09:15 PM

<comment></comment>

I was wondering when that would come up....  :D

And I mean that in a good-spirited way.  ;)

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 19, 2009, 10:09:15 PM
<comment></comment>

Yeah, yeah... I meant cold-calling someone and finding out they're a guy.  That hasn't happened yet  >:3

Tezkat

EDIT:

One thing even pro VAs do is play with distance. As you get loud, move away from the mic. That works best in a fairly clean recording environment, mind you.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

rabid_fox

What female roles are still open? My sister'd love to do one.

Oh dear.

Tapewolf

Quote from: rabid_fox on May 20, 2009, 12:35:01 PM
What female roles are still open? My sister'd love to do one.

Kass, Anna and Shanna I think.

Tezkat

Quickie recording... Jyrras in 994-998.

I messed up a line in 997 and didn't realize until after leaving. Oops. I blame Amber's weird dialogue... :animesweat

If you have problems accessing my site, try again in a few hours. I just moved it to a new data centre, and it's possible that the DNS changes haven't propagated yet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Tezkat on May 23, 2009, 03:43:19 AM

Quickie recording... I messed up a line in 997 and didn't realize until after leaving. Oops. I blame Amber's weird dialogue... :animesweat

I didn't notice.  We do occasionally have a few variations on the dialogue, that's one reason I try to delete the speech bubbles in the video versions.

Anyway, I need Deebs.  At this point, anyone will do, male or female.  Once she's out of the way, I think I'll be in a position to start taping the first few scenes, which I'm hoping to do this weekend, Project Future notwithstanding.

Tezkat

Heh. I obviously didn't notice it first time around either. :animesweat

I do occasionally take liberties with the dialogue when it sounds weird as written, but this was a reading error that actually changed the meaning. I'd initially read it as Jyrras not being sure which team Abel plays for. (Cue Mab popping up behind to yell: "He wants to know if you are gay, Abel!!") When I was fixing it up to post, I realized he wasn't sure if Abel is even in the game. Very different emphasis and delivery, though I might still be able to fix it by splicing in samples from other takes...

Tapewolf

Okay, I've now tracked up to the end of strip 875, which takes us to 12:06 on the timecode.  To get any further, I will need:

1. Anna
2. Shanna
3. Kass
4. Blue Mythos (Keaton)
5. Red Mythos (Kenku's recording has background noises, can it be redone?)

...and I think that's it for the first part.

I do still need to overdub Deebs.  If no-one else wants it, I'll play her myself.
Also I am still hoping to get Fi's speech in 814 from Mystiqe.  No luck yet.

Kenku

Heyo all,

Sorry about dissapearing. I will be redoing it tonight or tommarow. I dunno if I can kill the background noise, but Ill attempt.