[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 01, 2009, 08:21:42 PM
Edit: I forgot to ask, do I make a separate audio file for each panel or just each strip?

Whatever's easiest for you, really.  James tends to do his in large batches, so you'd have one or two files containing the entire arc - he probably edits them together.  Lena does one file per page.
I do feel that one file per panel would be a bit excessive, though.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 02, 2009, 06:12:45 AM
Whatever's easiest for you, really.  James tends to do his in large batches, so you'd have one or two files containing the entire arc - he probably edits them together.  Lena does one file per page.
I do feel that one file per panel would be a bit excessive, though.

Zip (or tar, or rar, or whatever) them together for transport, yes?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 02, 2009, 06:36:26 AM
Zip (or tar, or rar, or whatever) them together for transport, yes?
Split up into so many files it will still be a bitch to do any noise reduction, level matching and simply cataloging the things.

llearch n'n'daCorna

point. So... for your end, a single file is preferable?

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 02, 2009, 07:09:08 AM
point. So... for your end, a single file is preferable?
Preferable for me, but probably not for the voice actor unless they're very good.  One file per comic is what most people do and that works for me.

Tezkat

Hmm... lots of new people. Hello, new people! :mowcookie

When starting out, you should just send one file for however long each individual clip is. Basically, press "record", read as much as you're comfortable reading in one go, and press "stop"--that's how big your file should be. Repeat until you've finished all your lines. The main reason for doing things that way is that it's more difficult to clean up recordings once they've been edited together or split apart.

Some actors will be more comfortable doing one strip at a time. Personally, I tend to record large chunks--sometimes entire arcs--in one sitting. Whatever works for you. As long as the clips are sensibly named (and you read the lines in order), it's not that difficult to find what we need.

Other random tips for the newbies...

Set up the recording environment before you start.

Close doors, turn off fans, etc. Noise is the bane of recording engineers. But if noise isn't coming in, it doesn't need to be taken out. Fans and air conditioners are a prime offender during summer months--turning those off while the mic is running can be a big help. Computer fans... well... you can't do much about those without redesigning your system, but it does help to keep the mic positioned and pointed away from the machine when possible.

Hydrate.

Have a bottle/glass of water nearby. Sip frequently. Among the most avoidable recording problems are the lip smacks that crop up when your mouth dries out. (Also useful: green apples. Pro VAs usually bring a few slices to the studio; directors instruct them to take a bite if they detect mouth noises in the recording.)

Record each line several times.

Sometimes, one or more takes will have problems, so it helps to have backups. Indeed, skilled techs can even salvage problem recordings by splicing multiple bad takes into one good one.

When you're starting out, two takes is probably sufficient. (That's correct readings, mind you--if you flub a line, obviously you need to redo it.) Having a spare is usually enough to deal with common recording problems (such as random pops, lip smacks, or clipping). More than that is usually overkill, as the other kinds of problems (caused by excessive environmental noise or bad technique, for instance) will typically affect the whole session (so extra takes will only waste time).

Sometimes, when I can't decide how to read the line, I'll do up to six versions and play with the delivery from take to take. If you're not sure about where to place intonations or emphasis, it's not a bad idea to try reading the line multiple ways and let the director decide which one is best.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Sprocketsdance

Thanks Tapewolf, I'll likely just send you each strip once it's finished. I recorded 896 and 898 but the only problem is I downloaded the wrong audio editor. Right before I got to the actual download screen for Audacity I went trigger happy and clicked on AVS.. and only after I saved the recording did I learn about their voice logo they put in there to say it's a demo... so I had to time the right moment to come in so the 'voice logo' wouldn't ruin the recording. >_> and after all of this I finally realized I downloaded the wrong program XD I also learned their voice logo would repeat about every 10 seconds.. so I had to split 898 into three segments. To make a long story just a tad bit longer.. if you don't mind I'll send you what I have over e-mail and see what you think. Personally I might want to redo 896 but I'll wait for your feedback.

And Tezkat.. Thank you so much for the advice! ^_^ It is very helpful and I will definitely use it! =D   :boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 02, 2009, 07:59:26 PM
Thanks Tapewolf, I'll likely just send you each strip once it's finished. I recorded 896 and 898 but the only problem is I downloaded the wrong audio editor. Right before I got to the actual download screen for Audacity I went trigger happy and clicked on AVS..

I've never heard of AVS.  Now that I have, I can safely say "avoid it like the plague".
Anyone who can make a simple WAV recorder so inefficient that requires a 1.8GHz dual core computer as it's absolutely minimum spec and then has the gall to actually expect payment for their efforts should be humanely destroyed for their crimes against the software industry.

Quoteif you don't mind I'll send you what I have over e-mail and see what you think. Personally I might want to redo 896 but I'll wait for your feedback.
Okay, thanks.

Right.  I wasn't so happy with 896, specifically the "Gnggh!" bit - it sounded a bit too much like you were reading it rather than actually being in some kind of pain.  The last part of it was okay, though all the clips had a lot of noise in the background.
Presumably the fan was the computer?  If possible, consider getting a headphone extension lead and using that to extend the microphone cable so you're further away.  Recording in a different room to the computer is generally preferable unless you have a near-silent machine.

898 is more lively-sounding, though panel 1 sounded a little flat - she was reliving her ordeal, so she should probably sound a bit more angry and less calm.

And it would have been nicer to have had all the 898 panels in the same file.

Oh, by the way, when you do get Audacity going, remember to export to wav - I can't do much with just the AUP file since it requires other stuff as well which I won't have.

Hope that helps...

Sprocketsdance

Thanks! It does help ^_^ I'll work on them more throughout the week.  :eager

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 02, 2009, 08:47:08 PM
Cool, thanks.  I must go to bed, but if you want me to record some kind of example for you as a reference, let me know.  The one I used in my demos was a bit crazy, I was just trying to make her not sound like Dan...

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 02, 2009, 08:35:19 PM
I've never heard of AVS.  Now that I have, I can safely say "avoid it like the plague".
Anyone who can make a simple WAV recorder so inefficient that requires a 1.8GHz dual core computer as it's absolutely minimum spec and then has the gall to actually expect payment for their efforts should be humanely destroyed for their crimes against the software industry.

Cool Edit 2000 was good on lower spec machines. I used it starting on a 120MHz Pentium with 80MB RAM.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

llearch n'n'daCorna

Audacity works fine on my eeepc. Sure, that's a fair bit heftier - 900MHz, and 2G RAM (and 4G disk. Ask me why I don't have swap...) but it runs without issues.

It's a little sluggish when saving, mind, but otherwise the only time the machine gets loaded is when skype is running. No idea what they're doing, but it's constantly at 40% loaded when on a call... Unlike Teamspeak...

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 02, 2009, 08:47:08 PM

Got the new recording.  The yelp of pain is a lot better, thanks.

Quote from: Kenku on May 01, 2009, 12:25:30 AM
Hmm...I think Im going to pull out my Audacity an attempt the Red Mythos thats still open. Im also interested in Graz, but I understand if thats still on hold.

Got your recording - it sounded a little flat, and somewhat tinny.  There were also people talking in the background  :B

I did a quick reference recording in case that helps.  I've stuck yours at the front for reference in case anyone else is interested.

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/test_badthings_kenku_jpm.wav.mp3

Kenku

Ok, ill take another go at it, and get back to ya.

Sprocketsdance

Tapewolf, I sent you two e-mails with all of the strips I did. I sent two of #900 because I wasn't too sure on how she should say "Where are you?"

Also... there is a buzzing noise in the background that I have no idea what to do about. I don't know if it's the mic or the sound card in my husband's laptop (not sure if that has anything to do with it). If it can't be edited out... I might have to buy a headset/mic combo for it to work on my laptop and I'm not sure if that lowers the mic quality or not.. do you know?

Anyways, let me know what you think =)   :boogie

Lisky

sorry about disappearing on you... had a ridiculous time before moving back in with the rents trying to get somewhere moderately quite... if you still have some open positions, let me know...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 06, 2009, 02:17:41 PM
Also... there is a buzzing noise in the background that I have no idea what to do about. I don't know if it's the mic or the sound card in my husband's laptop (not sure if that has anything to do with it). If it can't be edited out... I might have to buy a headset/mic combo for it to work on my laptop and I'm not sure if that lowers the mic quality or not.. do you know?

It sounds like mains hum.  Most of it seems to be in the 60hz/120hz/240hz ranges.  I've got the worst out of it, and your mic seems to be reasonably good as it is.  I would suggest you check the connection, maybe unplug it and plug it back in.  IIRC this kind of thing usually happens if the signal line is touching the chassis or something.  It can sometimes be a problem with the cable.

Aside from that, they sound pretty good.  If I can get the mains hum out, it should be perfectly usable.

Quote from: Basilisk2150 on May 06, 2009, 02:23:33 PM
sorry about disappearing on you... had a ridiculous time before moving back in with the rents trying to get somewhere moderately quite... if you still have some open positions, let me know...

I'm not sure.  I think the only remaining male role is the customer Alexsi beats up, unless someone else drops out.

I think the following is correct, let me know if I've missed anyone:

• Deathbringer - VACANT (will accept male VA)
  • Destania - Vaudy
  • Aliyka - Wuffnpuff
  • Female blue mythos - VACANT
  • Male red mythos - Kenku?
  • Customer in 878 - VACANT
  • Anna - VACANT
  • Shanna - Keaton?
  • Graz - Baal
  • Kass - VACANT
  • Blue Phoenix - Gabi
  • Pink Phoenix - Keaton

...as usual it's the female roles which are messing us up.
Hey, you can have Deathbringer if you don't mind it being played back at double speed or something :P

Sprocketsdance

I could try and help with another female voice... but I'm not sure how good I am at making my voice sound different. I was messing around and did a little test with Anna so I'll e-mail it to you - it's from #882.

Oh, and thanks about the mic advice Tapewolf! It does seem to happen on and off so you're probably right about the connection problem.

Other than that maybe I can get back in touch with a gal pal and introduce her to the series.. maybe she could lend a voice.  :boogie

Gabi

Hey. I've been doing Rose, but it's been a while since she last appeared. Can I help with some other female role?
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 08, 2009, 10:44:20 AM
I could try and help with another female voice... but I'm not sure how good I am at making my voice sound different. I was messing around and did a little test with Anna so I'll e-mail it to you - it's from #882.

QuoteOther than that maybe I can get back in touch with a gal pal and introduce her to the series.. maybe she could lend a voice.  :boogie

If you can, that would be great.  Most of the female roles here are spot voices so it doesn't really need a huge commitment. 

I'll amend that list - Keaton has offered to do the Pink Phoenix and Shanna, and I'm opening Deebs up to male VAs as well, since the amount of processing she's likely to get makes it less critical.
Worst case, Jairus reprises his role as Anna.  He actually did an acceptable job of it IMHO, but an actual female VA would be better  :P

Quote from: Gabi on May 08, 2009, 10:55:39 AM
Hey. I've been doing Rose, but it's been a while since she last appeared. Can I help with some other female role?
Certainly.  Want to try Blue Phoenix?

Sprocketsdance

Hehe, ok Tape, I'll see if I can get ahold of some females... kinda feel like a pimp. o.O

:giggle

Gabi

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 08, 2009, 10:56:57 AM
Quote from: Gabi on May 08, 2009, 10:55:39 AM
Certainly.  Want to try Blue Phoenix?
Sure. Er... where does she appear?

Tapewolf

Gabi

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on May 08, 2009, 01:55:44 PM
OK, I've sent it to your e-mail.

Got it.  It's very good.  The only part which gives me pause is "If Dark Peg gets mad".  I think I'll be able to sort it out, though - I may combine the best parts of both takes.

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 08, 2009, 11:06:46 AM
Hehe, ok Tape, I'll see if I can get ahold of some females... kinda feel like a pimp. o.O

"Hmm... maidens?"

Anyway, I've played your Anna recording back now.  The voice is good, though it's a little close to Aliyka.  However, there aren't any scenes where both of them are talking, though.
There was a problem that it was recorded too loud, though - it went into distortion and that's something I can't really repair.  Do you want to try again?

Gabi

Sprocketsdance

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 08, 2009, 02:38:34 PM

"Hmm... maidens?"

Anyway, I've played your Anna recording back now.  The voice is good, though it's a little close to Aliyka.  However, there aren't any scenes where both of them are talking, though.
There was a problem that it was recorded too loud, though - it went into distortion and that's something I can't really repair.  Do you want to try again?

Hehe.. I'll see what I can do about maidens ^_^ but yeah, I'll give it another shot.. maybe try a few different voices.. I dunno. I want to help but I don't want to overrun things either... but you're the ultimate judge on that.  :boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: wuffnpuff on May 10, 2009, 08:18:04 PM
I'll give it another shot.. maybe try a few different voices.. I dunno. I want to help but I don't want to overrun things either... but you're the ultimate judge on that.  :boogie

Any joy with that?

EDIT:

By the looks of it, the vacant roles are now:

• Deathbringer - VACANT (will accept male VA)
  • Female blue mythos - VACANT
  • Customer in 878 - VACANT
  • Kass - VACANT

Sprocketsdance

Quote from: Tapewolf on May 12, 2009, 11:54:23 AM
Any joy with that?

Why yes there is... because you have to be the responsible one  >:3

Sorry I don't have it ready yet, I'll either do it tonight or tomorrow morning so it should be up tomorrow sometime.. most likely in the evening your time.

And so far.. no word from the maidens  :cry

Tapewolf

I asked Aisha if she was interested in the role of Kass or possibly Shanna.  I'm now completely torn between the two of them:

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/Kass-Aisha.mp3

http://dmfa.it-he.org/dmfa/Shanna-Aisha.mp3

...she does both very well.  Keaton has been tentatively offered the role of Shanna, but I'm thinking she'd also do well as the blue mythos girl(s).

Anyway, I've posted the two demos here - I'd be interested to know what people think.