[DMFA Radio] - Radio Series Project - RoDP work-in-progress Jun 2013

Started by Tapewolf, May 13, 2007, 05:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden da Muse on June 23, 2007, 08:29:07 AM
Done, although i would have preffered a public file allowing all to heckle me.

Er, you've send the AUP file instead of the recording  :<

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

RushFox

*sigh* Well, I listened to my last two "auditions" and noticed the clipping issues with both, so I decided to replace them (if all three were being used) with two more takes. I'll still keep two and three up, but I want Auditions 4 and 5 to be used when it comes voting time. K?

Alrighty, I already listed the place where I'll be putting these files, but for convienience sake, I'll list it right here!

http://www.box.net/shared/zl36nzt1am#1:6708588

Well, what do you guys think?

More importantly, when does the voting start on this, approximately? Just want to know, so I can be around for the festivities when the time comes...   ;)

Tapewolf

Quote from: RushFox on June 23, 2007, 02:39:30 PM
Well, what do you guys think?

Seems to be a clean recording, certainly on #5 - at least when it's played back through the Mac.

QuoteMore importantly, when does the voting start on this, approximately? Just want to know, so I can be around for the festivities when the time comes...   ;)

I'd like to get something from Brunhidden if I can, and Kamunt too if possible, if not I'll use his 424 recording. I'd like to get the damn thing underway tonight though.

Kamunt

Ugh, I'm utterly annoyed with myself. Now I think I'm just being a perfectionist... So I can get it correct right now and not later, are you looking for 100% quality here, or are a few 'bumps' here and there OK, as long they don't detract from the overall listening experience? Both are fine, I just want to know for when I finish up my final thing(s). I'm sorry this is taking so long, really... :mowignore

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kamunt on June 24, 2007, 05:13:44 AM
Ugh, I'm utterly annoyed with myself. Now I think I'm just being a perfectionist... So I can get it correct right now and not later, are you looking for 100% quality here, or are a few 'bumps' here and there OK, as long they don't detract from the overall listening experience? Both are fine, I just want to know for when I finish up my final thing(s). I'm sorry this is taking so long, really... :mowignore

Most of the audition files are a long way from perfection in terms of recording quality.  I'm treating them as examples of what the voice itself is like.

Tapewolf

And so, after much hassle, the poll begins:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php?topic=3011.0

Prick your finger it is done the moon has now eclipsed the sun
the angel has spread it's wings the time has come for bitter things

I'm going to bed now.

Kamunt

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 24, 2007, 06:46:21 AMMost of the audition files are a long way from perfection in terms of recording quality.  I'm treating them as examples of what the voice itself is like.

OH thank God....*sighs with relief* That'll make my life SO much easier... :mowsmile :blush I got a Box.net account now, too, because it looks so nifty and everything. I'll upload my auditions and samples there as soon as I'm ready with the finishing touches.

EDIT: Damnation in Hell~ >.< I'm so late at everything. Here is one of my #504 auditions right here, called "DMFA - Abel Auditions #506A.mp3" if it weren't obvious enough. Blech, I can't believe I was so late uploading this...hope I'm still eligible...

Rambon

Tapewolf

Quote from: Rambon on June 26, 2007, 01:46:55 PM
Are there any female roles open?

Almost certainly.  Off the top of my head, I can't think who though.  I really need to get better organised with this.

I wasn't sure if we were going to need a new Fa'Lina.  Blade is still eager for the role, although she hasn't been able to record much lately.

Oh!  How about Kria?  Allyxa was playing her, but I believe she's quit.

Miaka

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 26, 2007, 01:53:28 PM

Almost certainly.  Off the top of my head, I can't think who though.  I really need to get better organised with this.

I wasn't sure if we were going to need a new Fa'Lina.  Blade is still eager for the role, although she hasn't been able to record much lately.

Oh!  How about Kria?  Allyxa was playing her, but I believe she's quit.
Yeah, Allyxa... tends to forget about things.
she gets really into it, gets pissed if the other person forgets, and then drops the whole idea herself.

anyways... if I could get a point to start at/work on, then I'll be glad to get working once I've got the house to myself for a bit.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Miaka on June 26, 2007, 02:36:32 PM
anyways... if I could get a point to start at/work on, then I'll be glad to get working once I've got the house to myself for a bit.

I don't believe we have Wildy's voice for #292, which I'm going to need pretty soon actually.   317 would be nice too.

I believe we are also lacking the more recent Wildy lines, which are for strips:
677-683, 694, 700, 719, 736-738

Rambon, if you're okay for a bit-part, I could really do with the voice for the phoenix oracle in 295.  Could you also do the darker one in 301?  I don't think they are the same character, but whatever  >:3

Fuyudenki

(I thought this fit here better than in the poll thread)

Y'know, upon thinking about it after hearing the auditions, why exactly did you choose strip 506 for the auditions?  It's really got some of Abel's more monotonous lines in it.

Kamunt

I would've thought because while it's not a particularly 'easy' strip, there's some good chances to play up Abel's jerkiness and, in the last panel, at least I found, sarcasm. Everyone had their little bumps here and there, obviously...mine was (I think) that I didn't do more with Abel's obvious sarcasm and jerkiness in his last line. I mean, just looking at his expression in the comic itself is more than enough to give one an idea of what kind of message he'd be sending to Dan, then combined with his line itself...yeah. Okay, so I don't know. *shrugs*

Tezkat

There are a number of female extras roles open. A few that come to mind are the "Life is Wonderful" extras (Bon, Carrie, and the ball pit owner). I think we need the principal for Abel's Story as well.

Quote from: Raist on June 26, 2007, 08:39:47 PM
Y'know, upon thinking about it after hearing the auditions, why exactly did you choose strip 506 for the auditions?  It's really got some of Abel's more monotonous lines in it.

While 506 isn't necessarily an "easy" strip, it is a relatively "safe" one that demands very little emotional range. That could be helpful in that it allows voters to focus on vocal characteristics rather than acting skills; the latter can improve with practice, but the former remain relatively fixed unless you have a talent for mimicry. Still, there's a fair bit you could do with 506. I had actually recorded a number of SAIA strips in my Abel voice way back when, but I was missing 506 because (if I recall correctly) I couldn't decide where to place the emphasis on the "No need to apologize..." line. :3

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Kamunt

Yeah, it seemed like a lot of the audition recordings were missing that last line... :/ I thought it was just my 'tarded internet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kamunt on June 27, 2007, 12:39:04 PM
Yeah, it seemed like a lot of the audition recordings were missing that last line... :/ I thought it was just my 'tarded internet.

The earlier ones I edited it out of.  The later ones I forgot to.
My choice of 506 as the audition line was pretty arbitrary actually.  I seemed to have more copies of 506 to hand than I did 424 (some of them were probably still on the Mac).  It seemed like a good idea because it was nice and short, and therefore easier to compare.

Kryptic

Quote from: Tezkat on June 27, 2007, 02:33:59 AM

There are a number of female extras roles open. A few that come to mind are the "Life is Wonderful" extras (Bon, Carrie, and the ball pit owner). I think we need the principal for Abel's Story as well.

Hrm. I want to try my hand at this. I'm a bit of an "alto" though. This'll be fun... :boogie

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kryptic on June 27, 2007, 02:36:12 PM
Quote from: Tezkat on June 27, 2007, 02:33:59 AM

Hrm. I want to try my hand at this. I'm a bit of an "alto" though. This'll be fun... :boogie

I do need the second phoenix from 301, if you could possibly do that.  I need them fairly urgently too.
Actually - if you can do all three, I can mix and match with Rambon's voices as and when they become available.

RushFox

Yeah. I do wonder what I'm going to do, though. I may not get picked, yet I built myself up so much on this that I may be a little crushed. There still some time left, though, so I haven't lost hope on a possible comeback.  >:3

I really want to re-do another take, now that I've realized that the last line needs a little more sarcasm. But if this is not being judged on acting talent, it might be a useless gesture anyways.

I just want to get a few things off my chest real quick, just so it doesn't bug me...

1. Have you noticed that nobody has been choosing the bottom four, at all? Is it because the placement? Because it sounds too similar after hearing so many auditions?

2. Can we have voicing from Abel's Story put in there? I do believe it's critical to be able to nail those lines to be a good Abel...

3. Also, can the auditions be synced with other characters? Sometimes the voice alone doesn't decide the characters, but how well it meshes with the finished product.

4. Why did InsaneKaos come back? Last I heard from him, he was just doing these on a whim. Actually I should be asking HIM that question. Is he positive he wants to do this and stick with it? I really don't know what he thinks of all this...

Lastly and somewhat, jokingly... Why does everyone seem to be split on a deeper or lighter Abel voice!? It's seems pretty obvious, with his somewhat effeminate leanings, that his role demands a lighter voice! At least from my perspective anyway. I know it's a matter of opinion, but it still bugs me a little...

I'll shut up now. Sorry...  :)

P.S I put this here so I wouldn't alienate anyone going to vote over in the other topic. I may put some recordings here to justify it's postion here, I guess... I hope I didn't offend anybody by posting this.  :<

Kryptic

I tried doing Pheonix 2 from 301. I did two different takes with different inflection. What do ya think?

http://www.box.net/shared/ighy9grnj2
http://www.box.net/shared/xht3ajnpkq

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kryptic on June 27, 2007, 03:15:08 PM
I tried doing Pheonix 2 from 301. I did two different takes with different inflection. What do ya think?

The voice itself is decent, but the lines are a bit rushed... try to slow down a little.
One of them has some popping or mic handling issues - remember, talk across the mic, not directly into it.
Do you think you can do another take, and this time leave a longer gap at the start or end?  I need a bit of ambient noise for the noise reduction engine to use...

Kryptic

Okay. Can do. I'm one of those types that rushes everything. >,< Gotta slow down. Sloooww. Dooowwn. *exhales*

Did you like one way of inflection over the other?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kryptic on June 27, 2007, 03:57:23 PM
Okay. Can do. I'm one of those types that rushes everything. >,< Gotta slow down. Sloooww. Dooowwn. *exhales*

Did you like one way of inflection over the other?

For 'Fishing', I think the first take is best.  I like the hesitation where she's trying to invent the metaphor.  For the rest of it, they're about the same IMHO.

Kryptic

M'kay. Got it. I tried to slow down and stuff, and I hope these ones are a little more problem-free.

http://www.box.net/shared/dtxvlji2ev
http://www.box.net/shared/ldxz51vttl

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kryptic on June 27, 2007, 04:15:09 PM
M'kay. Got it. I tried to slow down and stuff, and I hope these ones are a little more problem-free.

The speed is good, although you're hesitating a little too long on the 'ummmmm...' line.

The bad news: the recording has a lot of bumps.  I've cleaned up Take 3 for the most part, but the word 'some' is damaged beyond my ability to repair.  On all four versions unfortunately. 

What kind of microphone are you using and how is it supported?  If it's a hand-held one, try resting it on a surface rather than holding it...

CameronCN

Just for fun, here are two takes of my Abel for 506. I'm not in the running, though. It's just to show my ideas.
Abel 1.mp3
Abel 2.mp3

Somehow it still doesn't seem quite like I imagine him though...

Kryptic

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 27, 2007, 04:50:16 PM
Quote from: Kryptic on June 27, 2007, 04:15:09 PM

The speed is good, although you're hesitating a little too long on the 'ummmmm...' line.

The bad news: the recording has a lot of bumps.  I've cleaned up Take 3 for the most part, but the word 'some' is damaged beyond my ability to repair.  On all four versions unfortunately. 

What kind of microphone are you using and how is it supported?  If it's a hand-held one, try resting it on a surface rather than holding it...

It's a handheld - one that came with my Dell PC. It's not only a cheap mic, It's a freebie. *sigh*. I was holding it though, so maybe I'll try to put it on a surface instead. Hrm... I'll try again in a little bit - my brothers are being loud and stuff right now.

RushFox

Quote from: CameronCN on June 27, 2007, 04:59:59 PM
Just for fun, here are two takes of my Abel for 506. I'm not in the running, though. It's just to show my ideas.
Abel 1.mp3
Abel 2.mp3

I don't know, that was pretty damn good...

CameronCN

Quote from: RushFox on June 27, 2007, 08:41:37 PM
Quote from: CameronCN on June 27, 2007, 04:59:59 PM
Abel 1.mp3
Abel 2.mp3

I don't know, that was pretty damn good...
Well, thank you. They were my 50th and 75th tries, approximately.  :3

Kamunt

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 27, 2007, 02:23:13 PM
Quote from: Kamunt on June 27, 2007, 12:39:04 PMYeah, it seemed like a lot of the audition recordings were missing that last line... :/ I thought it was just my 'tarded internet.
The earlier ones I edited it out of.  The later ones I forgot to.

:o O.    ....How come?