Gentlemen, behold!

Started by Alondro, April 26, 2007, 08:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

Well well, doesn't this name look familiar...  >:3

http://tobaccodocuments.org/nysa_ti_s2/TI31060497.html?zoom=750&ocr_position=above_foramatted&start_page=11

Look down to page 4: Previous Chairmen and "Good Scout" Award recipients (cont'd)

The year was 1973, the name is of an honoree... now behold the mystery!  For that name is the name of... me!   :mwaha

PS:  But how can that be?  Ask some more and we shall see!
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on April 26, 2007, 08:49:35 AM
The year was 1973, the name is of an honoree... now behold the mystery!  For that name is the name of... me!   :mwaha
PS:  But how can that be?  Ask some more and we shall see!

I was named after my grandfather.  Is that what we're looking at here?  Or is it just a coincidence?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Alondro

Nope, the truth is that I AM AN ETERNAL INCUBUS!!   :mwaha

Ok, that's obviously a lie...  :rolleyes  That was my great uncle who was named after my great-great grandfather, Charles de Charleroy, who was noted for producing several varieties of dahlias, and had several awards from the National Dahlia Society (they were very popular flowers in the 20's) and his membership in the Masons (I have the membership pendant!  Yup, we're Illuminate.  >:3 )

And that apparently goes back even further to a Charles de Charleroy in France where we had a chateau and vineyard, and possibly even one in St. Lucia where we had a sugar plantation.

Now our family is 100% dirt poor due to an endless stream of poor decisions and getting cheated out of money and property by every means imaginable.  We dun got cursed or something.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Alondro on April 26, 2007, 09:08:21 AM
Now our family is 100% dirt poor due to an endless stream of poor decisions and getting cheated out of money and property by every means imaginable.  We dun got cursed or something.   :P

Heh.  My great-grandfather was an insane genius who made his fortune from compressed cardboard and paper tubes and the machinery needed to make them.  When he died the members of the family left in charge of the firm mismanaged it chronically, since they worshipped him and carried on the business exactly the way he had left it rather than actually doing what he'd done and innovating.  When plastics came along they could not compete.  While we aren't dirt poor as such, there is a striking similarity.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

GabrielsThoughts

my great grandfather was a quaker, and a gentleman farmer, my other great grandfather owned a grocery store... I'm not named after either one of them, and I have no clue about the other two I know one was possibly Irish because he came from Ireland, but his last name was O'Neil, which could also be Scottish. the other was German. 
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Ryudo Lee

My name is a family name.  It's the name of my father, my grandfather, his father, and a bunch of other uncles.  In fact, one of those uncles, with his two other brothers not with the same name, decided to join the Christian Brothers, and each took each other's names.

My grandfather was in WW2, in the Army Air Corps.  He flew a bomber in several missions over Italy.

There's even a story that one of my ancestors fought alongside Jean Lafitte back in the day.

My branch of the family originally came over from Bourdeaux, France during the French Revolution.  There were originally two brothers that came to Louisiana.  One went to New Orleans, the other went to the Bayou Blue area.  Some of my family is still over in Bourdeaux, running a candy business.  They primarily make black licorice.  It used to be a pharmaceutical company.  And no, I don't have any direct ties with them, except for sharing the family name.  Wish I did though.  It'd be nice to be an heir to a company like that.

Mmm licorice... :dribble

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

superluser

So, family (and family name) stories?

My last name is quite popular in England.  It's also quite popular in the Punjab region, which probably explains why Dish Network keeps calling me to see if I want to sign up for their international service.  (I've taken to having pleasant conversation with them for up to half an hour)

My family were loyalists during the American Revolution.  There's even a story that they sold arms to Benedict Arnold.  That sounds like a bit of a stretch, at first, but there probably weren't too many arms dealers in any particular region, and Arnold probably needed a lot of arms, so it's quite possible.

My grandmother came from money from the steam locomotives.  Then the world invested in electric locomotives and they didn't, so there went that money.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

I dont know if I am related to anyone famous...All I know my last name is Barker is cause I am adopted..And no relation to Bob Barker or Clive Barker etheir :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

The only one of my relatives that I know about being slightly famous is a feef.

Yup. My ancestor stole the idea of the stamp. Basically, the guy who came up with it went to my ancestor, and said "hey, I've got this neat idea..." and my ancestor said "Oh, that's a terrible idea, forget it now." and then turned around and went to the king and said "Hey, I've got this really great idea..."

I should mention he was postmaster general at the time, I think.

Other than that, we're just ordinary scum, so far as I know.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zina

I'm related to Sitting Bull and Jim Thorpe.
We got our family name when my Great Great Great Grandfather killed three men in the Battle of Little Bighorn, and thus did "Many Deeds".

In other words, I'm a filthy injin.

Valynth

hey, at least your family got started off on what would become U.S. soil.  My grand father was a dirt poor peasent in Croatia, a good bit before WW2.  He was in debt and he was sent to the U.S. as one of the many "indentured servents" *cough*slaves*cough.*  As time progressed, he finally paid off his debt and through hard work and determination he went to college and got degrees in the biological sciences.  His work developed a process for caning crab, though he is only mentioned in a foot note of an ancient scientific Journal somewhere.  'tis the price you pay when you ask for the resources of the powers that be.

When my grandpappy was 52, WW2 was under way and he wanted to be out and fighting, but the army wouldn't hear it.  They considered him too valuable in the lab to go to war.  In the end they compromised and he was assigned to a field hospital.  Unfortunately my grandpa got over-zelous in moving concrete slabs around in 100+ degree weather and died of a heart attack.

My father, however continued to help out the war effort and entered the military just as Germany fell.  He was then going to join the group that was going to assault Japan proper, but at the last minute it was called off and my father didn't know why at the time.  He then learned later that the city he was supposed to invade was now a smoking pile of rubble because of a new weapon, the atomic bomb.  My father continued to serve in the U.S. military, unfortunately my father's records were destroyed in a freak fire, so I don't know much else.

You might be asking "But you're only 19, how can you father have been in WW2?!"  Well, my father at around age 40 married my mother at around age 20.  This was the first(and last) marriage for both of them.  And that was 40 years ago.  I'm the last of their five kids, the oldest of my siblings is 32(so no, they didn't waste any time).

Oh, and another note, the last letter of my last name was supposed to have a mark above it, but it got lost in transit to the U.S.  Also, my last name is very unique you only get a few images when you put it into google, and none of them are in english.

Sometimes you can be the brightest mind in the world, but taking the stupidest actions
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Alondro

My family also includes the Dutch family Joost on my father's side (his mother's family) which has an uncle that was a big-time executive at Exxon.  They still gots money!  I must steal it somehow to fuel my plans...   :shifty

On my mother's side, there are just poor immigrant families:  Buzz (from Buss) which is German, and Piperno which is Sicilian... and may have a hint of Jewish, as it originated in a primarily Jewish area.  Came to this country, worked hard, made a living... then the boomer generation screwed it up by being worthless hippies.  :rolleyes

*Cartman voice*  I HATE HIPPIES!!!  :cuss

GabrielsThoughts

My grandfather on my mothers side was 1/16th Cherokee, we have documentation, that an lost "Indian" girl ( I assume native american) named  Wee'ha (please don't ask me how to spell her name) married my great something  grandfather   who was a quaker farmer before the trail of tears.

(Apparently the Busby clan was mostly Quakers, not to be confused with the Amish. I mention this only because people are actually that stupid. Thank you Quaker oats, your use of 200 year old attire on the box really helps people identify Quakers immediately. )   
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

superluser

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on April 27, 2007, 03:27:31 PMI mention this only because people are actually that stupid. Thank you Quaker oats, your use of 200 year old attire on the box really helps people identify Quakers immediately. )

I'll admit that I get Amish and Mennonites confused, but as I was born in Pennsylvania, I can't see how anyone would confuse Quakers and Amish.

Edit: Never post in a hurry.

Zina

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on April 27, 2007, 03:27:31 PM
My grandfather on my mothers side was 1/16th Cherokee, we have documentation, that an lost "Indian" girl ( I assume native american) named  Wee'ha (please don't ask me how to spell her name) married my great something  grandfather   who was a quaker farmer before the trail of tears.

Everyone's grandfather on their mother's side was 1/16th Cherokee.

Honestly, I'll never understand why people think this is so special. The Cherokee sold their daughter's to the white men in exchange for the promise that they wont be put on a reservation. What a shock, the white men lied.
And now a bunch of people are 1/16th Cherokee.   
Your great grandmother was probably raped by your great grandfather.
That sure is something special right there.

GabrielsThoughts

yeah, well the one good thing about the Quakers is they keep most excellent and detailed family records. They specified exactly how and where she was found. How she met the busby family and what she was like.  Which is more than I can say for my fathers side of the family. I knew my father for 16 years of my life and all I learned about his side of the family was

1. They were Peurto Rican
2. my father lived in PuertoRico for the first 18 years of his life, he felt guilty about killing a chicken when he sat on it accidentally, And some general information bout his life.
3. My  grand parents were born in Peurto Rico and from what little information I could get out of them, our family has been on the island more than 200 years, but I have no specifics like names and whatnot I just know my grandmother is proud that she is part Tiano india, which is why  my father has red skin, not brown.
4. I supposedly look like my great-grandfather, but who doesn't.

Alondro

Quote from: Zina on April 27, 2007, 05:22:33 PM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on April 27, 2007, 03:27:31 PM

Everyone's grandfather on their mother's side was 1/16th Cherokee.

Honestly, I'll never understand why people think this is so special. The Cherokee sold their daughter's to the white men in exchange for the promise that they wont be put on a reservation. What a shock, the white men lied.
And now a bunch of people are 1/16th Cherokee.   
Your great grandmother was probably raped by your great grandfather.
That sure is something special right there.

Not me!  I'm 100% Whitey McWhitewhite!  Born and inbred here in de ol Pine Barrens!   :B  (the bucktooth smiley is an accurate representation of the average tooth number of the Piney population)   :B

bill

I don't have any CHEROKEE BLOOD LOL, I'm too busy trying to sort out my blood from:

Russia, Holland, Taiwan, Germany, probably, christ. I'm a mess.

superluser

Quote from: Zina on April 27, 2007, 05:22:33 PMEveryone's grandfather on their mother's side was 1/16th Cherokee.

There were Cherokee in Austria-Hungary?

Ryudo Lee

Quote from: superluser on April 27, 2007, 11:27:43 PM
Quote from: Zina on April 27, 2007, 05:22:33 PMEveryone's grandfather on their mother's side was 1/16th Cherokee.

There were Cherokee in Austria-Hungary?

And in New Orleans amongst old italian men?

On my mom's side, her father and his father owned a fried chicken place down here called Jim's Fried Chicken.  It was a great place to eat chicken as far as I'm told.  Unfortunately, money issues brought the place down.  My dad's old boss used to eat there.  Most of my friend's parents used to eat there.  The shelves in my house's pantry are made from the wood of the walls of that place when it was renovated.  I have an old hand painted sign from there.  Ask any old people around the area and they'll probably have fond memories of Jim's Fried Chicken.

EDIT: D'oh!  D::doh

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Aridas

little did they know Jim was a cannibal.

superluser

Quote from: King Of Hearts on April 28, 2007, 07:55:55 AM
Quote from: Alondro on April 26, 2007, 08:49:35 AMGentlemen, behold!
CORN!

Well, I am hungry.

(On another board, someone made a .sig of me saying...well:

so I decided to turn it into some sort of a running gag whenever I post phallic stuff, like the Erotic Gherkin)