MySpace Is a Farce to be Reckoned With

Started by xHaZxMaTx, April 28, 2007, 04:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xHaZxMaTx

...Not really.

Alright, so there's a bulletin going around on MySpace saying that on May 15th, no one on MySpace is to buy gas in protest of high gas prices.  There are several reasons why this wouldn't work:  1.)  90% of all MySpace users don't drive.  2.)  People don't buy gas every day, so of the 10% of MySpace users that drive, only about 1/3 of them will buy gas on any given day.  According to said bulletin, there are about 73,000,000 American MySpace members, if we take 90% out of that (7,300,000) and divide by 3, that's only about 2.5 million less people buying gas in a day.  Whoopdy-fuckin'-doo, that's less than 1% of the entire US population.  I'm sure a lot more than .08% of US citizens don't fill up on any given day.

But that's all beside the point;  the US needs to quit bitching about gas prices.  Or maybe they want to move to Europe, and pay more than twice as much?

Reese Tora

What a coincidence, may 15th is most likely to be a day that I actually buy gas.

Of course, not buying gas will hurt the gas stations, not the corporations, if it hurts anyone, because they charge the prices that they're told they're allowed to, and they're the ones who are harmed by poor sales.

Of course, anyone who doesn't buy gas on the 15th will just buy gas on the 14th or 16th, so the only effect will be two days of above average sales surounding a day with below average sales.

If anyone wanted to affect gas prices, they would need to drive less, take public transportation where it's an option, and not make stupid empty gestures of defiance that won't even be noticed by the very ones that are the cause of their 'problems'.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

bill

I'm sure the folks at ExxonMobil and Dutch Shell are just quaking in their boots.

Zedd

Makes you wanna cream yoru pants dont it

Darkmoon

In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Zedd

bill

RJ

:/ Australia already tried doing the 'No Gas' thing last year.

As you can tell, it didn't work and the companies still blame Singapore whenever the prices skyrocket before a holiday.

xHaZxMaTx

The same thing happened last year, as well, but apparently no one paid attention, then, either. :giggle

Darkmoon

Quote from: Zedd on April 28, 2007, 07:28:30 PM
Course not...Their my pants

Were the Yoru Pants a special edition? Like, Calvin Klien's Yoru Pants? How much did those cost?

Zedd

Darkmoon

Zedd

superluser

Psst!  Some people might want to keep this thread on-topic and not have all of this IRC chat spam.

I almost said that with a straight face.  But the chatty stuff?  Maybe not so much.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Darkmoon

bill

"Piss off"? Did someone turn DM British when I was out?

Tapewolf

Quote from: RJ on April 28, 2007, 11:05:33 PM
:/ Australia already tried doing the 'No Gas' thing last year.
As you can tell, it didn't work and the companies still blame Singapore whenever the prices skyrocket before a holiday.

What really upsets things if everyone does buy it.  Simultaneously.  Things went totally haywire when there were rumours of shortages in the UK in 2001 - as you can probably guess, there were shortages after that, even if there weren't any before.  I still have photos of the queues and everything  >:3

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Darkmoon

GabrielsThoughts

what's to stop all myspace users from buying gas on May 14th?

Edit:
what we are really pissed about is the shutting down of Oil fields in  California, and  Alaska.
Because an Oil field  in California was built on a fault line there is an unfounded belief that the richest oil field in the country will explode if there is an earthquake, or there is the excuse The pipeline used for Alaska's oil we made in the 70's has gunk on the inside forcing us to ship the oil in oil ships which takes six weeks longer...

The wold market for oil has gone up because our soldiers are fighting in Iraq, while Exxon mobile made a record profit last year during the supposed oil crisis.

The oil companies in Texas shut down because of hurricane Katrina, but once they were back online they provided no relief to the oil crisis.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Dakata

MySpace is full of stupid cam whores, emos, "gangstas" and "gangsta"-wannabes. Let 'em think they're making a difference. Then we can laugh at their stupidity.

TL;DR = Ignore 'em. They can't/won't do shit.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Adjusted the topic title. Hope you don't mind...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

xHaZxMaTx

Very sneaky, llearch, I almost didn't notice.  ...But I did. :P

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears