3-22-2007 Abel's Story # 77 inky bus? We'll dye of fright

Started by The Lurking Dragon, March 22, 2007, 12:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stygian

Ponder what Amber said earlier, that cubi-ness (cubism?) is not neccessarily directly hereditary. She also mentioned, or at least suggested, that the union of two beings with partial cubi heritage might result in a cubi child, and was backed by Alondro, unless I am mistaken.

Still, once again, this does not explain much or account for much of events unless they were a lot more complex than has been suggested until now. Unneccesarily complex, that should be...

ShiningShadow

It has to be both of the parents May with cubi in her and Cid maybe cubi doppleganger with a touch of incubus in him and behold we have Abel. Plain and simple in my book unless Amber explain things in the future strip which we are witnessing slowly as it unfolds.

Alondro

*sighs*  Cid's eyepatch is actually a lil monster made by the Bureau of Special Technical Affairs headed by Dr. Inky Kurotsochi.  It eats his excess riatsu so he can fight with his opponents longer.   :B
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Alondro on March 23, 2007, 10:54:49 AM
*sighs*  Cid's eyepatch is actually a lil monster made by the Bureau of Special Technical Affairs headed by Dr. Inky Kurotsochi.  It eats his excess riatsu so he can fight with his opponents longer.   :B

So in another words a reject from Pirates of the Carribean *arrrggggghhhhh* :B.

Stygian

[claws his face because of the reference, and then gets out a big bucket of industrial bleach and pours it over Charline]

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Stygian on March 23, 2007, 11:00:25 AM

[claws his face because of the reference, and then gets out a big bucket of industrial bleach and pours it over Charline]

Yeahhhhhhhhhh platiumn Blonde Charline *Wolf Whistle* >:3.

superluser

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 23, 2007, 09:27:06 AMI don't think Devin's father's reaction to seeing him after he was born is something that should be ignored.

Note, however, that Devin doesn't resemble his mom that much.  There are significant differences in the ears, and since the kids tend to resemble the being parent, that should put Devin's dad in the being camp.

I'm still in the ``The lady doth protest too much, methinks'' camp in #16.

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 23, 2007, 09:33:39 AMActually, no...May appears to be aging along with Cid.

Which any competent shapeshifter would mimic if she were trying to blend in.

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 23, 2007, 09:33:39 AMSomething that does come to mind, after thinking about it.  Cid managed to reach old age, where it was said that most adventurers don't make it past 21 (Dan retired at the "old" age of what, 22, 23 was it?)  That does perhaps give the "Cid is the cubi" camp a point or two in their favor.

There is the story of Cohen the Barbarian in the Discworld series.  Cohen has been continuously adventuring for 90+ years.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 23, 2007, 10:27:01 AMFor all we know, -neither- is his parent, and he's been dumped with them because he resembles May, and the Cubi who left him overwrote their memories to show him being born...

Except that the memories of the entire town would have to be overwritten.

``Oh, hey!  Why didn't you tell me you were adopting?''
``Excuse me?''
``Well, we just had you two over for dinner last month, and I don't remember you being pregnant...''

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Rafe

Quote from: Alondro on March 23, 2007, 08:10:29 AM
*Charline confronts Abel in battle!  Both are on an observation platform high over a great chasm!*  Abel... I AM YOUR FATHER!!   >:3

*Abel*  Nooooo!  That's not true... That's... slightly plausible...

*Charline*  And Dr. Ink is your sister!   >:3

*Abel  :erk *  That's... highly unlikely...

*sometime later... Charline*  And you know those Cubi powers?  They're actually brought about by tiny Smurfs in your blood.
*Abel  :P *  Look, if you're not gonna take this seriously, I'm outta here.

*take that speculators!*   :3

Sounds like someone is a fan of Robot Chicken.
Rafe

Manawolf

Quote from: kaskar on March 23, 2007, 04:44:05 AM
          Is Cid, ( Abel's legal father ), actually an incubus ? He goes out at times as an adventurer. So did Azlan, and he was a fae. Azlan used a 'magical' device to have the appearance of a fox being. ( In the end, a patch ), but if Cid was a Cubi, then he would have the power to "shapeshift" into full being appeance. Also, Cid may have a green eye. The patch may just be a way to stop beings noticing a green eye. However, as an incubus, what does Sid really look like ?  (Remember how Dan was made to look like his sister ? )  Also, did another Incubus do a bit of dreamsurfing in the house ? Will we be told ?

Wait, what's so big about him possibly having a green eye.  Last I checked green was a perfectly normal eyecolor.

Nino

Quote from: Manawolf on March 23, 2007, 05:13:11 PM
Quote from: kaskar on March 23, 2007, 04:44:05 AM
          Is Cid, ( Abel's legal father ), actually an incubus ? He goes out at times as an adventurer. So did Azlan, and he was a fae. Azlan used a 'magical' device to have the appearance of a fox being. ( In the end, a patch ), but if Cid was a Cubi, then he would have the power to "shapeshift" into full being appeance. Also, Cid may have a green eye. The patch may just be a way to stop beings noticing a green eye. However, as an incubus, what does Sid really look like ?  (Remember how Dan was made to look like his sister ? )  Also, did another Incubus do a bit of dreamsurfing in the house ? Will we be told ?

Wait, what's so big about him possibly having a green eye.  Last I checked green was a perfectly normal eyecolor.

Oh, people just think that because Abel has a green eye that cid has to have one.

However, Cid has brown eyes, which means that whether or not he had a green eye is a moot point: he could have a green-eyed gene no matter what, it would just be recessive.

So Abel got his recessive green eye from Cid and blue eye from May. That could be true no matter if Cid's other eye is brown or green. Sheesh people, bone up on your genetics =P

Shadowcatcher

Wow, didn't expect this many people to quote me.

Stygian Replied:

"You know, not to be mean, Shadowcatcher, but this "brotherhood theory" of yours is old (I myself was a speculant when Devin's background was first revealed), though probably not a reiteration"

Sounds like this was a hotly debated topic some time ago, for which I was likely not party to.  Til recently, I've only paid speckled attention to the forums, and have only been posting my own messages very recently.  However, I still see no evidence to close this hypothesis with prejudice.  The story about Devin's parents might be directly related to Abel's origins, or it could be utterly disjoint.  At this time there simply is insufficient evidence to go either way; thus it stays on my list of possibilities.

I have not seen anything that speaks for Cid being a Cubi. Logically, May would recognize the clan marking on Abel's back if that was the case. The whole deal with May's impregnation would also become a bit more complex than what is logical as well. The remark on May's eating might also have been just something Cid said. All in all, nothing points to either of Abel's parents being a cubi.

Agreed.  The eating remark is likely day-to-day, normal life banter between family.

Ponder what Amber said earlier, that cubi-ness (cubism?) is not neccessarily directly hereditary.

That would definitely change the equation.  Can anyone put a link (or paste) info on known facts of Cubi heraditary rules?

llearch n'n'daCorna Replied:
.. or, it might well be not "socially unacceptable", but simply that Cid thinks he looks better with an eyepatch. And, of course, it's how Cid feels about things that controls what he wears, mostly. Even if bending to social pressure...

At this point, all theories are equally valid, as no evidence has been presented on why Cid has an eyepath.  In all likelyhood, it's just a character detail with no more significance then having either an 'innie' or an 'outie' bellybutton and probably shouldn't be read into too deeply.

The only questions then boil down to Is May his parent, and is Cid his parent. For all we know, -neither- is his parent, and he's been dumped with them because he resembles May, and the Cubi who left him overwrote their memories to show him being born...

I'm pretty sure that Cid and May *think* that Abel is their child, together.  Page 5, May tells Cid "He gets that from your side of the family, you know".  While it is Possible that one could say that they were simply brainwashed to think Abel was their biological son, I don't suspect that's the direction Amber is going.

superluser replied:
Note, however, that Devin doesn't resemble his mom that much.  There are significant differences in the ears, and since the kids tend to resemble the being parent, that should put Devin's dad in the being camp.

I dunno, I see a lot of resembelence between Devin and his mom.  But it does make me wonder, it is said that a Cubi positive Cubi/Being crossbreed takes after the Being side regarding body morphology/physiology.  What about those those who are Cubi negative, those who have a cubi as a parent (or further in ancestry) but the cosmic dice roll said that they shall not be Cubi?  What are the rules for body morphology and physiology for them?  Still taking after only the Being parent, or do different rules apply?

There is the story of Cohen the Barbarian in the Discworld series.  Cohen has been continuously adventuring for 90+ years.

Discworld != Furrae.  Dan's bio states "Dan is claimed to be a well-known adventurer though Dan himself seems to not mention those years. It is known that he has defeated Dark Pegasus thrice now. He then retired at the age of 24, which considering some adventures, thats pretty old."  -- the fact that Cid made it past 24, into old age, says that he was a very competent adventurer, or might be a bit more then what he appears to be.  I don't think we'll have any good evidence on the Cid side of the equation until we see his reaction to Abel expressing his Cubi genetics.

manawolf said:

No problem with green eyes, none at all, except for the occassional crusty ancient chinese guy trying to marry them. :) ( reference to Big Trouble in Little China, rent it! ;) )

Manawolf

I think I was thrown off by Yuna and her green eye in FFX.

Aurawyn

Quote from: superluser on March 23, 2007, 04:52:37 PM
Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 23, 2007, 09:27:06 AMI don't think Devin's father's reaction to seeing him after he was born is something that should be ignored.

Yes.. there is that difference in the ears.. but as far as I can tell thats about the only difference. Nowhere dose it say they need to be Identical.. Able is not Identical to May, She has that black eye patch of fur, able dose not.  Also.. the flash back is not in color.. its it those sepia tones, so we can not tell if she has blue fur like Devin or not.. I think he resembles his mother enough that it is possible that his father could be a cubi.. yada yada..

Hehe...

superluser

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 23, 2007, 06:50:41 PMI'm pretty sure that Cid and May *think* that Abel is their child, together.  Page 5, May tells Cid "He gets that from your side of the family, you know".  While it is Possible that one could say that they were simply brainwashed to think Abel was their biological son, I don't suspect that's the direction Amber is going.

I'm not sure about that.  I think that May figured it out (``protest to much,'' again), though she may not have figured it out by then.  She might just be keeping up appearances and be unwilling to let Cid know.  Cid, himself, might know.  He just figures that her infidelity was his fault, and he can't really broach the subject without damaging his integrity.

Quote from: Shadowcatcher on March 23, 2007, 06:50:41 PMThere is the story of Cohen the Barbarian in the Discworld series.  Cohen has been continuously adventuring for 90+ years.

Discworld != Furrae.

I know; I just like the image of 90 year old barbarians with varicose veins and false teeth.  It just goes to show you that there *can* be exceptions.  Odysseus and Nestor, too, probably lived to Cid's age.

kaskar

Does it really matter what  Abel's real  biologicalparentage is . May, at times, can be a bit of a mystery, and the full story on Cid has to yet arise.  Yet May still seems to love him, and Cid still wears the horns in the family with dignity . ( See what happened to someones horns of the family when he annoys Jyarras in # 102 of the usual strip )
8) Just Hanging Around ...

techmaster-glitch

Ok, I think we need to reveiw the theories for Able's parentage. I will list as many as I can, and how likely I think they are.
Ok
Theory #1: May is the Cubi parent.
Judging by her reactions and ignorance to basic cubi traits, she must be an extreamly good actor AND quick thinker in order to be the cubi parent. I would say this might be possible, if it were not for another reason I will soon bring up.
Verdict: It is borderline impossible she is the Cubi parent, for a reason that is about to be explained.

Theory #2: Cid is the Cubi Parent.
I would have to say, this is much, MUCH more likely, if not for one fact. No matter what they do, a Cubi CANNOT hide their clan marking. Even if one was skilled enough to morph into some sort of monstrous blob, that marking would still be somewhere. Whenever May and  Cid are in the house, I would assume they sleep together, and on occasion, do more than just sleep *wink wink*. May thinks the marking on Able's back is a tatoo. This means that she has never seen it before. Not even on Cid. I seriously doubt Cid could hide his marking every night they are in bed together. "what if his marking is under the eyepatch?" I doubt he sleeps with it on. Even if he does wear it to hide the mark, I'm sure May would have taken it off herself at some point, knowing that she loves him enough even if she thinks the reason he wears the eyepatch is because he is missing an eye. An if Cid were to try to stop her, that would raise some sort of tension between them, and she might just take it off anyway in HIS sleep.
Verdict: Just like May being the cubi, so unlikely as to be amost impossible.

Theory #3: Random magical energies influenced Able's birth.
First off, magical energies can only cause what some would consider deformities. Cynthia is a perfect example of this. There is no way any RANDOM energies could have caused Able to become fully a Cubi. It could possibly cause someone to be born with wings, but like Cid said, doesn't make him an angle.
Verdict: Pretty much impossible.

Theory #4: Cid was cursed with a non-random, structured spell specifically designed to make him have a Cubi child.
I really dont think that is possible. I doubt any spell could actually do that, and even if it could, It would have to somehow carry clan implications, which I don't think is possible. And even if that were the case, I can't see any good reason why Cid would not tell May about it.
Verdict: Mostly unlikely.

Theory #5: May, or Cid, or both, are partially cubi, or have some distant cubi heritage.
First off, you cannot be "partially" cubi. This is a fact, you are either fully a Cubi or you arn't one at all. "Cubism" also seems to be a dominant trait (look at Destania and Dan) and since it cannot be partially transferred, no matter what a cubi mates with, the child will be a full cubi, with cubi abilities and traits, but may get extra traits from the other parent, be it a Demon, Mythos, Being, or whatever. However, I may be mistaken, and "cubism" may not be a dominant trait, enabling it to skip generations. In that case BOTH Cid and May would have to carry the Cubi gene for it to take hold in Able. I would say that it also has to be in very recent ancetry, because the odds of Cid and May carrying the gene from thousands of years back is off the charts. Especially taking in May's repeated ignorance to cubi traits, she would not seem to have cubi parent or grandparent herself, which would mean either a) she doesn't have cubi ancestry at all, or b) it was hidden form her. I find that unlikely. But if she doesn't have cubi ancestry, she wouldn't have the gene, which means that while Cid might still carry it, there is no possible way it could have taken hold in Able, so that is impossible.
Verdict: Overall, I think this one is also borderline impossible, unless May's ancestry was hidden from her, and , while possible, is very unlikely.

Theory #6: A Cubi has killed and replaced Cid or May.
Like some pointed out erlier, the 'new' Cid or May would have to be able to act just like the originals. While that is entirely possible with cubi mind-abilities, there is STILL the simple and show-stopping "hide the marking" problem.
Verdict: Impossible.

Theory #7: A Succubus tricked Cid.
If that were to happen, the succubus would have to kidnap and somehow keep May out of the picture for at least 8 months, starting from the time said cubi had sex with Cid, ending at the time of Abel's birth. Then the succubus would have to implant all of it's memories into May so she would think she was there the whole time. and THEN there is the damn "hide the mark" AGAIN, because the succubus would have to pull it off for at least 8 months.
Verdict: Borderline impossible.

FINALLY Theory #8: An Incubus tricked May.
Yes, this is the last one, and that being said, you probably know where this is going. Cid is out on one of his many long adventures. May is asleep, dreaming about him. An Incubus chances by, enters May's mind, and finds about Cid. Incubus takes Cid's form and has a nice night with May, probably making her think she is still asleep. Cid finally returns, and neither of them know the difference, even when May turns out pregnant, because genreally, couples don't lead sexually inert marriges. And with Cid constantly being gone, they probably do it as often as they can (Until Able was born, and Cid gave up adventuring). Backing up a bit, hell, the Incubus doesnt even need for Cid to be on an adventure, Cid could just be gone in town for just one night and the incubus could pull it off. And there isn't the "hide the mark" problem, because the Incubus would only have to try to hide it for one night, not for months or years on end. Easily doable.
Verdict: Yes, I would have to say this is probably the only answer. Now someone go get Amber to read this so she doesn't choose another option and end up with a plot paradox.

one last note, just to be thourogh. All of the theories that are halted by the marking problem, you might say that the marking-bearer could pretend it was a tatoo. Well, if that was the case, then why did May express surprise, and not suspicion, when she saw Able with the very same tatoo? "Able, that tatoo looks just like Cids!", not "What, praytell, is that on your back?" would have to be what she should have said in order for that to be possible.

llearch n'n'daCorna

There's a way around the "marking under the eyepatch" thing.

If you look, the marking looks a lot like a circle with a hole in the middle. Now, if that's directly over the eye, the pupil makes the hole... and the vertical slash mark would make it look quite different, particularly if you then have the marking the same as the other patterns on the coat.

Given this, it's not totally out of reason to think that May may have seen it on Cid, but he's good enough at disguising it, or masking it, that she doesn't recognise it.

And, bear in mind that she saw Abel naked when he was a baby, and while he was growing up, so strips 25 and 26 shouldn't really come as that much of a surprise...

As for theory #5, whilst you are either a Cubi or you are not, it wouldn't be terribly surprising for non-Cubi to not be aware of having a Cubi in their ancestry, since Cubi are hated and hunted, and, as such, if I were one, I'd be damned sure I was hiding, you can bet on that. So someone being unaware that their great grandfather or great great grandmother - or even their grandmother, if we bring it a little closer - was a Cubi is not within the realms of impossibility.

If nothing else, you can take my wife's example of her father, who walked out on her and her mother and her siblings when she was very young. Her mother won't talk about his side of the family at all, mostly. Not even to explain -why- she won't talk. And this is not unusual with people, I find...

All in all, I don't think Theory #8 is as much the be-all and end-all you make it out to be. But you've done well at summarising most of the theories....

Just my 2c, then...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 26, 2007, 10:59:55 PMMay thinks the marking on Able's back is a tatoo. This means that she has never seen it before. Not even on Cid.

Maybe May saw it and was reminded of a similar `birthmark' on Cid, and thought that Abel might have gotten it as a sort of father-son bonding.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 26, 2007, 10:59:55 PMI seriously doubt Cid could hide his marking every night they are in bed together. "what if his marking is under the eyepatch?" I doubt he sleeps with it on. Even if he does wear it to hide the mark, I'm sure May would have taken it off herself at some point, knowing that she loves him enough even if she thinks the reason he wears the eyepatch is because he is missing an eye.

Or he could have sewn his eye shut (not uncommon for those who lose an eye), making the mark invisible.  Or explained the mark as a scar.

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 26, 2007, 10:59:55 PMHowever, I may be mistaken, and "cubism" may not be a dominant trait, enabling it to skip generations. In that case BOTH Cid and May would have to carry the Cubi gene for it to take hold in Able.

Not so.  Male Pattern Baldness is hereditary (Or not?).  It skips a generation.  And men can only inherit it from their *mothers*.  The Male Pattern Baldness gene is on the X chromosome.  Men never get X chromosomes from their fathers(*), so they can only inherit the trait from their mothers, who cannot express male pattern baldness.

Now compare the royal disease.  It's a recessive sex-linked trait, so you need a copy of the gene on every X chromosome.  If you're a man, and your mother is a carrier, you have a 50/50 chance of getting it.  If you're a man and your mother has two copies of the gene, you are guaranteed to get it.  If you're a woman, both your parents must be at least carriers to inherit the disease.

Similarly, if May had one copy of the gene, half of her sons could be `cubi, despite the fact that she is not one herself.

(*) Yes, yes.  Polyploidy.  Shut up.

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 26, 2007, 11:37:16 PM

Given this, it's not totally out of reason to think that May may have seen it on Cid, but he's good enough at disguising it, or masking it, that she doesn't recognise it.

And, bear in mind that she saw Abel naked when he was a baby, and while he was growing up, so strips 25 and 26 shouldn't really come as that much of a surprise...

While i  concede that i may have been mistaken about pretty much everything im not quoting, like said a cubi CANT mask or disguise their clan mark in any way. At first glance, it might be mistaken for his actual eye, but close inspection will show it isn't, and i cant see May not recognizing it on her son. And yes it should come a surprise, becuase cubi ARE NOT BORN with the marking. they get it in their late teens as their magical powers increase, as abel himself once explained. Thats why May never saw it on abel as a baby.
Also, When i was originally organizing my thoughts to put all the theories together, i didnt start out with the intention of making #8 the end-all option, as you say. I was perfectly for Cid being the cubi, until i realized the mark problem. Though like the other person above me said, this entire thing becomes moot if Cid sewed his eye shut. So I may be mistaken there. I also concede that the probability May's heritage being hidden from her isnt so improbable after all, i was mistaken there as well, i guess. But until someone comes up with other ideas, which could be entirely possible, i still hold to my verdicts on my other theories.
That all being said, with new possibility shining on Cid being the cubi, i'm looking forward to him walking in the room, seeing Abel, sighing, and revealing both sets of HIS wings. Poor May is gonna faint.

Aridas

As far as I know, the "cubi gene" doesn't skip a generation, because it doesn't exist. being a cubi or not, if i'm not mistaken, was said by amber to be magic-related.. or something. I don't remember enough to put it all together...

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 27, 2007, 12:26:43 AM
As far as I know, the "cubi gene" doesn't skip a generation, because it doesn't exist. being a cubi or not, if i'm not mistaken, was said by amber to be magic-related.. or something. I don't remember enough to put it all together...
Good point. If that is true, then all the genetic stuff becomes moot as well.

superluser

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on March 27, 2007, 12:26:43 AMAs far as I know, the "cubi gene" doesn't skip a generation, because it doesn't exist. being a cubi or not, if i'm not mistaken, was said by amber to be magic-related.. or something. I don't remember enough to put it all together...

The term gene predates the term deoxyribonucleic acid by about a century.  If you inherit the `cubi nature from your parents, it's genetic, regardless of adenine, thymine, guanine, cytosine, or even uracil.

Tezkat

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 26, 2007, 10:59:55 PM
Theory #2: Cid is the Cubi Parent.
I would have to say, this is much, MUCH more likely, if not for one fact. No matter what they do, a Cubi CANNOT hide their clan marking. Even if one was skilled enough to morph into some sort of monstrous blob, that marking would still be somewhere. Whenever May and  Cid are in the house, I would assume they sleep together, and on occasion, do more than just sleep *wink wink*. May thinks the marking on Able's back is a tatoo. This means that she has never seen it before. Not even on Cid. I seriously doubt Cid could hide his marking every night they are in bed together. "what if his marking is under the eyepatch?" I doubt he sleeps with it on. Even if he does wear it to hide the mark, I'm sure May would have taken it off herself at some point, knowing that she loves him enough even if she thinks the reason he wears the eyepatch is because he is missing an eye. An if Cid were to try to stop her, that would raise some sort of tension between them, and she might just take it off anyway in HIS sleep.
Verdict: Just like May being the cubi, so unlikely as to be amost impossible.

Cubi cannot alter their clan markings through natural shapeshifting. They can easily hide them with such low tech means as clothing or dye. Self-mutilation works too, though Amber has indicated that Cubi would regenerate such damage. Illusion magic represents another possibility. Amber's official words on the matter thus far do not preclude the possibility of hiding them through spell-based shapeshifting, magical tattoos, patches, and the like. Efforts to hide a clan marking certainly reduce the flexibility of natural shapeshifting, but that would not be an issue for a hypothetical Cubi Cid wearing the same disguise for 25+ years. He also has a whole life out of the house and apart from May with plenty of time to re-dye fur, refresh concealment spells, etc. before coming home to his family.

I don't think Cid's clan markings or lack thereof represent reliable evidence for either side of the debate.

Far more interesting is Cid's failure to comment on Abel's clan marking. Although it's possible that he has yet to notice, a Cubi Cid would probably have been on the lookout for such traits in his offspring, and May seems the type to have delivered a "Do you know what your son did?" speech after spotting it. I'd consider that a point against the Cubi Cid theory, though hardly a slam dunk.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Silverfoxr

dang you people think to much give your brains a rest :D

my guess is either may is a very good actor - or more mystery afoot
aka wait and see what happens :D

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on March 26, 2007, 10:59:55 PM
Theory #6: A Cubi has killed and replaced Cid or May.
Like some pointed out erlier, the 'new' Cid or May would have to be able to act just like the originals. While that is entirely possible with cubi mind-abilities, there is STILL the simple and show-stopping "hide the marking" problem.
Verdict: Impossible.

I beg to differ.  This is not impossible, just unlikely.

If the substitution took place early enough in their marriage this could still happen.  Additionally, the 'Cubi might have been able to do a deep enough probe of Cid's mind to be able to imitate him.  This would not be easy, but if the 'Cubi were good enough and Cid was wholly in their power for days on end, it might be doable.

There are other variants, including the incubus coming across a dying Cid and taking on his persona as his last wish to prevent May from being left heartbroken by his death.

If 'Cid' returned from his adventure critically wounded so that May had to nurse him back to health, that would give him time enough to learn about his new identity from her mind, and if he had a head injury she might not be so surprised if he isn't the same afterwards.

So I don't think it's wholly impossible - although I do think the 'cuckoo' theory is more likely given Abel's detestation of full shapeshifting.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

kaskar

All the propositions give so many scenarios , and I just wonder what , if any , of these amber may adopt ?

Tapewolf

Quote from: kaskar on March 27, 2007, 06:24:10 AM
    All the propositions give so many scenarios , and I just wonder what , if any , of these amber may adopt ?

Has adopted.  She's planned the core storyline out years in advance :P

kaskar

If the core storyline has been planned years in advance , are you under a secret vow not to divulge the future plotlines , or is it a wait and see thing ? I was just wondering , what awaits us in the future ?

Tapewolf

Quote from: kaskar on March 27, 2007, 06:44:54 AM
If the core storyline has been planned years in advance , are you under a secret vow not to divulge the future plotlines , or is it a wait and see thing ? I was just wondering ?

Nah, I don't know anything.  She's just explained the creative process a couple of times on the forum.

ShiningShadow

And many times snap at us for trying and figure out the future plots (Don't smite me Amber). Anyway I think when Cid walks in I think the whole thing will be out in the open.

Cid revealing himself as a Succubus May will be in shock and Abel hmmmmmmmmmm I might be wrong on this but hey it could happen.