3-22-2007 Abel's Story # 77 inky bus? We'll dye of fright

Started by The Lurking Dragon, March 22, 2007, 12:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alondro

*Charline sighs*  It's all true.  We do indeed like to eat babies and steal dreams.  Oh how I long to eat fat babies!  Don't they sound delicious?  Fortunately, I have a conscience that keeps me from eating them...   :3

*Charles erms*  You have a conscience?  Since when?   :erk

*Charline smacks Charles*  Silence!  I must remove suspicion for all the recent baby disappearances!   :shifty
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Prof B Hunnydew

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2007, 09:29:33 AM

QuoteCreatures maybe better informed, but not much more, because Fa'lina wouldn't want too many "secret" out.  Given the "cold war" hostilities between the Creatures and the clans of Dan's time.
Unless you know something I don't, it seems more to be Dragons vs Cyra Clan, rather than the whole wide world vs the 'Cubi, but who can tell...

Really, I must clarify a bit, We have the Beings (who have Kingdoms/nations somewhat, ex...Twinks and whatever nation Lost Lake is in) vs the Creatures.  Inside the Creatures group, we have the Angels vs Demons for control of the world and Demons seem to have their own internal conflicts, and Angels are not much better than the demons in cooperation with each other.   Dragons vs Cubi or I should said any other Creature race.  Dragon seem so long living, so powerful, and smart, that they look down at the other races.  Cyra Clan seems to be on the frontline of the Cubi-dragon feud.  Abel has an instead dislike of any dragon, and Fa'lina failed to tell Abel that only one Dragon was "good" enough to trust...which implies that dragons in general are not to be trusted for Cubi race.  They have a Council of Beings and Creatures, but it seems to be only marginally effective in solving problems and finding really solutions...

PBH

superluser

Block of text attacks you for 3 DMG.  You counter with paragraph breaks!  Block of text defeated!

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 22, 2007, 10:53:47 AMReally, I must clarify a bit, We have the Beings (who have Kingdoms/nations somewhat, ex...Twinks and whatever nation Lost Lake is in) vs the Creatures.  Inside the Creatures group, we have the Angels vs Demons for control of the world and Demons seem to have their own internal conflicts, and Angels are not much better than the demons in cooperation with each other.

Dragons vs Cubi or I should said any other Creature race.  Dragon seem so long living, so powerful, and smart, that they look down at the other races.  Cyra Clan seems to be on the frontline of the Cubi-dragon feud.  Abel has an instead dislike of any dragon, and Fa'lina failed to tell Abel that only one Dragon was "good" enough to trust...which implies that dragons in general are not to be trusted for Cubi race.

They have a Council of Beings and Creatures, but it seems to be only marginally effective in solving problems and finding really solutions...

The quote from 728 is ``The second any dragon finds out Dan is from Cyra's clan they are going to try to kill him...except for one dragon.  He's nice.''  Fi wanted to get Dan out of Lost Lake, but seemed to care less about Abel.  Abel said ``there's no way [Aaryanna] would let a dragon near Dan,'' not ``near her.''

Also, we don't really have beings of the Lost Lake region vs creatures.  Mab's a creature.  So are Azlan, Pip, Pyro, Kria, Lorenda, Matilda...er, maybe Bon?  There doesn't seem to be a general creature/being war.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Akisohida on March 22, 2007, 10:47:40 AM
WHy do people think Cid would have to flip? If May is not a 'cubi than Cid has to be a 'cubi unless May had extra-marital relationships. :P I don't think two non-cubi parents could randomly have a cubi child so ONE of them has to be such.
She might have had an extra-marital relationship without knowing.  Remember Abel's line:
:shapeshifters

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 22, 2007, 10:53:47 AM
Really, I must clarify a bit, We have the Beings (who have Kingdoms/nations somewhat, ex...Twinks and whatever nation Lost Lake is in) vs the Creatures.

I don't think it's that cut-and-dried, even in Abel's time.  Dragons consider themselves above most other races.  Creatures usually consider themselves to be above Beings.
But that doesn't mean that they never interact or that they only interact violently.

Cities, for instance usually seem to have a Creature patron (or patrons) who will protect the citizens in exchange for a tithing of some kind, but it seems to be Beings rather than Angels (who don't have any cities of their own) or Demons who actually build them.

QuoteInside the Creatures group, we have the Angels vs Demons for control of the world and Demons seem to have their own internal conflicts, and Angels are not much better than the demons in cooperation with each other.

True to some extent, but we do have the Creature Council.

QuoteDragons vs Cubi or I should said any other Creature race.  Dragon seem so long living, so powerful, and smart, that they look down at the other races.  Cyra Clan seems to be on the frontline of the Cubi-dragon feud.  Abel has an instead dislike of any dragon, and Fa'lina failed to tell Abel that only one Dragon was "good" enough to trust...which implies that dragons in general are not to be trusted for Cubi race.

I still don't know for sure if there is a Cubi-dragon feud or just a Cyra-dragon feud.
Aary and Abel's reaction could be explained by their wanting to protect him as an individual, if they knew that Cyra Clan have it coming.

I wonders if Dan's hatred/fear of dragons stems from things his mother told him as a child?

QuoteThey have a Council of Beings and Creatures, but it seems to be only marginally effective in solving problems and finding really solutions...
Definitely for Being-Creature issues.  Creature-Creature issues it's probably better for, but we don't really know.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aleolus

And now it emerges.  Here's a hypothosis, and I may have mentioned this before, I don't recall, but lets see what some people think.  Sometimes, when a cubi knows it's life is about to end, rather than breeding to create more of them, they transfer a small portion of their cubi essence into the adventurer who will defeat them.  Thereafter, the first child the adventurer has after that recieves that portion and becomes a cubi themselves.  How does that sound as a possibility?

GabrielsThoughts

boy, there sure is a lot of misinformation floating around... I mean everyone knows Cubi have a seam in their head which means they don't have a soul, which means they have to eat babies to survive.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Aleolus on March 22, 2007, 11:32:00 AM
And now it emerges.  Here's a hypothosis, and I may have mentioned this before, I don't recall, but lets see what some people think.  Sometimes, when a cubi knows it's life is about to end, rather than breeding to create more of them, they transfer a small portion of their cubi essence into the adventurer who will defeat them.  Thereafter, the first child the adventurer has after that recieves that portion and becomes a cubi themselves.  How does that sound as a possibility?

I think 'cubification is a bit more involved than that, but I don't really know.
IMHO it's more likely that an incubus from Abel's un-Clan seduced May in disguise in a desperate attempt to prolong his line.  I don't think we've entirely disproved the theory that Devin was a failed attempt at this (i.e. the 'Cubi side didn't take so he left and then quasi-raped May while Cid was off somewhere).

**EDIT**
Which means he might be coming back to claim Abel.

I forgot to mention: Abel hates shapeshifters who disguise themselves as other people.  This seems a more reasonable explanation to that than your theory :P

Lydiell

You know... I seem to remember reading Cid tell May that exposure to magical energies like he's had as an adventurer can cause wierd things to happen to adventurer's children. Maybe Cid was exposed at one point to magic or energy from a cubi, and that's why his son is one?

TheDXM

But aren't clans hereditary in Cubi?

Seems if it happened that way, Abel would be his OWN clan.

Prof B Hunnydew

Okay Dan was the one in danger...So

What of the prophecy?
   What of the Phoenix who fortold the Prophecy?
     Do the Dragons know of the Prophecy and of Dan, and  that Dan would be of the Cyra Clan.?
          Did the dragon try to destroy the Cyra Clan?
               Is that why Destrina is out to kill the Dragons?
                    IS everyone trying to protect Dan from the Dragons before he has reach his full power?
                         What does Mab know?  Or Fae?

and Who wants to bet the Phoenix got it wrong?, but just by everyone believe in the prophecy and acting on it, this will make Dan, the chosen one.  or is Abel  the one of prophecy?

:hug
PBH

Quote from: Lydiell on March 22, 2007, 12:41:46 PM
You know... I seem to remember reading Cid tell May that exposure to magical energies like he's had as an adventurer can cause wierd things to happen to adventurer's children. Maybe Cid was exposed at one point to magic or energy from a cubi, and that's why his son is one?

And maybe it is a cover story for May, that Cid is a Cubi.?

KarlOmega1

I don't think two non-cubi parents could randomly have a cubi child so ONE of them has to be such.
We now know that May is possibly not a succubus... However, shall I remind you of the concept of Generation Skipping? For all we know Cid could have been offspring of a cubi that carried the Cubi Gene but it was dormant or consider to skip a generation.
I'm a Skype User.
Skype Name: Karaius

Tezkat

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2007, 08:41:17 AM
2. Matilda knew exactly what Dan was the moment she saw him.  This in itself is rather interesting, how did she know he wasn't an Angel, for instance?  Lucky guess?  More to the point, that implies that 'Cubi are more well-known/tolerated in Dan's era.  (Or area...)

Dan was a customer, so she had a financial incentive be nice to him. Well, that and the other reasons>:3 Cubi were poorly received even 26 years ago, and experienced adventurers had some knowledge of their abilities.

Given that Dan looks like an Angel (or miscellaneous Angel-winged Being) on first glance, though, we can safely assume that Matilda immediately identifying his race results from some sort of magical perception. There is precendent for that sort of thing: Merlitz's Being adventuring buddies detected and identified shapeshifting magic through casual (or at least discrete magical) observation. As a Mythos, Matilda's abilities may be good enough to catch natural shapeshifters (possibly related to her third eye?).

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2007, 11:16:57 AM
I wonders if Dan's hatred/fear of dragons stems from things his mother told him as a child?

Heh... Dan hates/fears dragons enough to borrow money from them:mowdan

Quote from: KarlOmega1 on March 22, 2007, 01:12:52 PM
I don't think two non-cubi parents could randomly have a cubi child so ONE of them has to be such.
We now know that May is possibly not a succubus... However, shall I remind you of the concept of Generation Skipping? For all we know Cid could have been offspring of a cubi that carried the Cubi Gene but it was dormant or consider to skip a generation.

Unlike hybrids of Angels, Demons, and certain Mythos, who can express partial Creature traits, the Cubi phenotype is an all or nothing thing (sans Gareeku, but he's a fan character). Amber has yet to officially admit or exclude the possibility of it skipping a generation. The upcoming Hybrid Genetics thing might put that to rest, but until then...

Quote from: Amber Panyko
Magic makes things much more complicated, and tends to fill the gaps where simple genetics would fail. The general rule of it can stand that if the odds are there for something strange to happen, it is very likely it has happened.

:mowcookie
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Rafe

Quote from: superluser on March 22, 2007, 09:18:44 AM
Cid: Oh, hey!  Your headwings came in!  I figured they'd be coming shortly after I saw the clan marking.  See, a few years ago, May had sex with an incubus...
May: No, I didn't!
Cid: May, we've been over this before.  I wasn't in town...

Come to think of it, Incubi have been known to prey on unsuspecting females as they sleep, who wouldn't know they'd been taken advantage of, as Amber illustrated with the evil Rafecubus here:

Rafe

Kenji

Rafe

You'll have to ask Amber, but I assume it's a wallaby-fit Speedo.
Rafe

Kenji

Oh, well ok then. Just as long as you aren't raping sleeping women in a diaper.
Don't want you going Cupid on us or nothing.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Rafe on March 22, 2007, 05:52:57 PM
Come to think of it, Incubi have been known to prey on unsuspecting females as they sleep, who wouldn't know they'd been taken advantage of, as Amber illustrated with the evil Rafecubus here:

... Here's a thought. How about the "evil incubus" taking advantage of May in her sleep... While keeping Cid asleep next to her.

For bonus marks, making each think they were making love to the other....

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

thegayhare

Quote from: Tezkat on March 22, 2007, 01:43:08 PM

Dan was a customer, so she had a financial incentive be nice to him. Well, that and the other reasons>:3 Cubi were poorly received even 26 years ago, and experienced adventurers had some knowledge of their abilities.

Given that Dan looks like an Angel (or miscellaneous Angel-winged Being) on first glance, though, we can safely assume that Matilda immediately identifying his race results from some sort of magical perception. There is precendent for that sort of thing: Merlitz's Being adventuring buddies detected and identified shapeshifting magic through casual (or at least discrete magical) observation. As a Mythos, Matilda's abilities may be good enough to catch natural shapeshifters (possibly related to her third eye?).

There might even be a simpler explination.  There could be a ward on the shop door.  Some simple little magical doodad that tells the shop keeper  the spieceis of the person who's just walked threw the door. 

Tapewolf

Quote from: thegayhare on March 22, 2007, 06:12:59 PM
There could be a ward on the shop door.  Some simple little magical doodad that tells the shop keeper  the spieceis of the person who's just walked threw the door. 

If the 'cubi is living as a Being (Dan wasn't quite) having their S.O. or other members of a shopping party being told that they are really an incubus would not be apropos.  Even if they didn't turn violent, she'd lose at least one customer at best :B

[Looks at the picture of Rafe and May]
You know, I had a dog that could sleep quite happily in the same position as May there.  At least, she would until she actually hit the floor.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 22, 2007, 06:10:47 PM
... Here's a thought. How about the "evil incubus" taking advantage of May in her sleep... While keeping Cid asleep next to her.

I believe I suggested that once, i.e. forcing Cid and May into a deeper sleep so he could do the deed undisturbed...

QuoteFor bonus marks, making each think they were making love to the other....
...but that's a damn good improvement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2007, 06:21:26 PM
I believe I suggested that once, i.e. forcing Cid and May into a deeper sleep so he could do the deed undisturbed...

Aww, you mean I'm not original? :-/

QuoteFor bonus marks, making each think they were making love to the other....
...but that's a damn good improvement.

Well, it would explain why neither of them thinks May has been, erm, "disloyal". Although I can see Cid not wanting to let people know he's been cuckolded, or even wanting the child to not suffer for the sins of the parent....
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 22, 2007, 11:50:32 AM

I think 'cubification is a bit more involved than that, but I don't really know.

*Charline shakes her head*  No, it's very simple.  Ink jabs a needle in yer butt, an' you become a cubi just like that!   :3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Goatmon

I thought that as well for a while, until I learned about Clan markings.  If he didn't have one I might believe that, but because he has one it means he likely descended from an actual Cubi parent.  Unless someone else has info relating to the species that might disprove my belief?

superluser

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 22, 2007, 12:49:20 PMWhat of the prophecy?
    What of the Phoenix who fortold the Prophecy?
      Do the Dragons know of the Prophecy and of Dan, and  that Dan would be of the Cyra Clan.?

1.) The prophecy?  Do we actually know what the prophecy is, or are we still guessing (Kind of like the Question of Life, the Universe and Everything)?
2.) Do we even know that it was a phoenix that made the prophecy?  I've never seen any indication that anyone else can prophesy, but we don't *know* that.
3.) Oddly enough, the dragons seem concerned that Dan is related to Ed, but the `cubi seem concerned that Dan is related to Cyra.  We haven't seen dragons show any concern that Dan is a Cyra.  Maybe they got two different versions of the same prophecy?

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 22, 2007, 06:27:19 PMWell, it would explain why neither of them thinks May has been, erm, "disloyal". Although I can see Cid not wanting to let people know he's been cuckolded, or even wanting the child to not suffer for the sins of the parent....

Yeah, just because Cid hasn't said anything on-screen about it doesn't mean that he doesn't know.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

MT Hazard

Quote from: Goatmon on March 22, 2007, 07:20:25 PM

I thought that as well for a while, until I learned about Clan markings.  If he didn't have one I might believe that, but because he has one it means he likely descended from an actual Cubi parent.  Unless someone else has info relating to the species that might disprove my belief?

Something I thing I mentioned last time this came up was the Possibility Cid was cursed while out adventuring. "All you children will be monsters!" kind of thing. If the Cubi are that rare, this sounds like a useful way to boost numbers, magical alter beings so they produce Cubi children, kind of a cuckoo type arrangement. After all demo. 101 mentions creatures often have ways of turning beings into creatures. Of course I guess he could just wait for the answer...

I'm surprised the Devin's father is Abel's father speculation hasn't popped up again.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Rafe

[Looks at the picture of Rafe and May]
You know, I had a dog that could sleep quite happily in the same position as May there.  At least, she would until she actually hit the floor.

I don't think that was May in that picture.  It doesn't really look... well maybe it, uh...

[turns picture, puts in some color]

Aaaah!   What has Rafe done!  Abel can't be... Nooo!
Rafe

Anri

Quote from: Alondro on March 22, 2007, 06:32:34 PM
*Charline shakes her head*  No, it's very simple.  Ink jabs a needle in yer butt, an' you become a cubi just like that!   :3

It's quite the frightening needle. I have enough trouble with normal sized ones! :x

Prof B Hunnydew

Nice try Rafe ... But Amber's pencil show clearly your victim is a Cute Bunny girl... 

Or I might have to ask
"Rafe, Does Central knows just how many kids you have fathered?  with how many females?"

PBH

Tapewolf

Quote from: Prof B Hunnydew on March 22, 2007, 08:20:19 PM
Nice try Rafe ... But Amber's pencil show clearly your victim is a Cute Bunny girl... 

Oops, my bad.  I thought that was part of the hair.

Rafe

I dunno if it's hair or what..  And if May likes to sleep with bunny ears, I have no problem with that.
Rafe