Sedimentary_Rock's Showcase of things that could tentatively be called art

Started by ardaron, March 15, 2007, 12:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardaron

The title pretty much says it all.  I don't really consider myself an artist, but every now and then I create something that I'm happy enough with to show off.

And here is the first of those things:

It's a pixel drawing, because pixel art is one of the few media that I consider myself good at.  I like pixels because you don't need a lot of detail; the viewer's eye tends to fill in the detail for you.

Anyway, the picture is of my newly created "fursona."  An anthropomorphic Allosaurus, to be specific.  I decided to come up with an anthro persona for myself because a lot of people around here seemed to have one, and I didn't want to be left out.  I'm crossing my fingers, because so far, every one of my fantasy renditions of myself ended up morphing into a completely separate character (Dakota, Echo, Tonya, and Tristan all started out as me), and I'm hoping this one doesn't do that.

By the way, those funky green and tan markings on her arms, legs, and tail are supposed to look like the silouhettes of feathers.

I may add a background to this drawing at some point, but for now, white will have to do.

So, what does anyone think?  Comments, critiques? 

GabrielsThoughts

well assuming it is a sprite, it is very highly detailed. good work, looks time consuming.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

ardaron

Thank you.  Yes, it was fairly time-consuming; it took the better part of several days.  I don't remember exactly how long.

And by the way, I just finished the background.  Here is the completed image:

I put her in a museum, both for the irony and because I like museums.  Guess what kind of dinosaur that is behind her.  :giggle

Truth be told, I really surprised myself the whole way through this piece.  I had no idea I was this talented.

And on a similarly happy note, I just made this my avatar.  Squee!

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Zedd

Gabi

That's good! Why wouldn't you call it art? It looks like it could be a scene from a videogame.
~~ Gabi a.k.a. Gliynn Starseed, APF ~~
Thanks to Silver for the yappities, and to everyone for being so great!
(12:28:12) llearch: Gabi is equal-opportunity friendly

ardaron

Wow, thanks for all the praise!  :blush

Quote from: Zedd on March 16, 2007, 07:07:21 AM
I like to see more soon...Just dont spran your arm now

Do not worry.  Now that I have discovered my hidden artistic talent, I fully intend to abuse it.  Now, which of my eighty-something roleplay characters most needs a pictoral depiction?  *ponders*  I know!  All of them!  Hehe, this is so going to kick my butt, but whatever.

I think Deltar's first up, though.  Let's just say that he thinks he's an alien.  And going off of his appearance, he has very good reason to think that.  He's actually a victim of the genetics labs, spliced with Opabinia DNA.  He's the only one of my roleplay characters ever to have a fan club, and, ironically, also the only one who doesn't know what "fan club" means.

Quote from: Gabi on March 16, 2007, 10:07:01 AM
That's good! Why wouldn't you call it art?

I picked out the title for this thread before I finished this picture.  Since picking the title, my artistic self-confidence has multiplied tenfold; but I didn't really want to change the title after other people had posted.  I think that might be against the rules, even.  In any case, it's rude, and besides, I can just say that it's sarcasm.  So yeah, it's sarcasm.

Sunblink

Very awesome sprite-work, the little dinosaur-person really looks adorable and fantastic. You managed to put a lot of intricate detail into such a tiny image, which impresses me to no end since I'm such a stickler for detail. It's almost like something you would see in a little video game.

You going to make any more sprites? It would be great to see more from you.

~Keaton the Black Jackal

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Sedimentary_Rock on March 16, 2007, 12:43:44 PM
I picked out the title for this thread before I finished this picture.  Since picking the title, my artistic self-confidence has multiplied tenfold; but I didn't really want to change the title after other people had posted.  I think that might be against the rules, even.  In any case, it's rude, and besides, I can just say that it's sarcasm.  So yeah, it's sarcasm.

FWIW, it's your thread. As long as there's no rating-breaking words in the title, call it whatever you like, whenever you like. Heck, if you want to change the title after every post from -anyone-, you're welcome to do so.

... I can't speak for the rudeness, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears