Labyrinth and the ethics of OEL...

Started by Angel, March 09, 2007, 01:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angel

A topic I just learned about has made me incredibly confused. While I was looking up stuff about Labyrinth to attempt to prove to a friend that there is actually an amazing and meaningful movie under the whining of Jennifer Connelly and the tight pants of David Bowie, I saw that Tokyopop, the Jim Henson Company, and a man named Jake T. Forbes have created a three-volume manga series called Return to Labyrinth.

I can't decide whether that is the best thing ever or the worst thing ever.

The exploitation of a previously non-exploited cult classic aside, I am very curious about the ambiguous ethics behind English-born manga. On the one hand, it's cool that America is open to new styles and whatnot from other countries. But on the other hand, manga should stay Japanese. The Japanese were the creative ones for making it - Americans shouldn't exploit it and call it their own. And yet manga is beating out and influencing already good American comics every day. Take a look at an X-men comic from the sixties and one from today. The difference in style is small, but noticeable nonetheless.

Then again, manga-ka and their works are often influenced by American art and culture, as shown repeatedly in such awesome manga series as Rurouni Kenshin and FMA. Is that really so different from what American artists are doing now? I need more info and opinions, because trying to read all the opinions already out there is making my brain hurt.
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!

Amber Williams

I own the first volume actually, its very nice.

For those wondering, its a sequal set with Toby now grown up and focuses primarily on him.  (I'm quoting most of the backcover of the book so not a ton of spoilers)  Basically since the events of the movie, the goblin king and minions have been quietly working behind the scenes of Toby's life, providing him anything he could ever desire, and ultimately grooming him to become the next Gobling King.

It's a very lovely art and very fitting for the Labyrinth world-setting. The style works impressively well with Jim Henson's original vision.  I wouldn't knock it because of its choice to go manga-style over normal western style.  Or say its the American's ganking the style for their own.  As with most things, I'd suggest trying to find a copy and flipping through some pages and making your own decisions based on the books own merits.  Its really easy to fall into a trap of East vs West.

Kenji

If you're wanting opinions on the comic itself: My brother's a huge fan of Labyrinth (even having gone as Jareth for two halloweens), and he loves the manga of it.

As for the American-Japanese exploitation thing, that's just business. Whether its good or not is debatable.
Honestly, if an American artist can make manga look great, then I'm all for it. After all, anime was heavily influenced by old Disney movies like Cinderella and stuff. Anatomy-wise at least. Course, on that same note, one could argue it was the other way around. Point is, nowadays there's pretty much no culture that is specific to one area. Ever since the world-wide migration capabilities, it's pretty much all been spread around.

Ryudo Lee

Well thank you all for that little tidbit.  I didn't even know that existed yet.  I've got the first volume coming and the second one on pre-order. :)

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Zina

My friend really likes it. She works in a comic store, and has been keeping my updated on each volumes release. She's a huge Jim Henson fan as well. I plan on borrowing her copy as soon as I get back to Colorado for Spring Break.

She also ordered me a Jareth figurine, but I dunno if its come in yet. D:

Zedd

What is there to do when more Labyrinth stuff comes out...There is to..Dance magic dance! Jump magic jump! Spank that baby and set him free! :P

superluser

Japan stole Labyrinth a long time ago:

You remind me of Zidane
What dane?
Zidane with the power
What power?
Power of the Lifestream
Who's been?
You've been
Been what?
Reminding me of Zidane

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

The Lurking Dragon

Weird, my memory must be fuzzy or something, because I swear Lifestream was a FFVII thing not IX. As for Labyrinth, eh, it's definitely a cult thing like Monty Python IMHO. Not all of us will get it, though some will.
"You can't see me or hear me unless I want you to."
The Lurking Dragon

superluser

Quote from: The Lurking Dragon on March 10, 2007, 01:50:19 AMWeird, my memory must be fuzzy or something, because I swear Lifestream was a FFVII thing not IX.

D'oh!  I was trying to remember something that rhymed well with question words.  Gaia, Terra and Trance, the obvious power sources, didn't.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Angel

Your responses actually made a lot more sense than the articles I read. I guess manga was never exclusive to one country. And it doesn't have to be to be good, thinking of titles like Priest (for those who don't know, it's an amazing manga... it's like Hellsing and Trigun had a baby!). Thanks, all! I'm gonna go to Borders and find a copy of the manga to flip through.

As for Labyrinth, well, I guess anything Labyrinth-related is good, ethical or not.

Oh, and Zina? You gotta tell me where i can order a Jareth figurine! When I saw that Sarah had one in the movie, I flipped!  :eager
The Real Myth of Sisyphus:
The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water spout,
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
And the itsy-bitsy spider went up the spout again...
BANDWAGON JUMP!