03/09/07 [#759] Feelings

Started by AndersW, March 08, 2007, 07:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zina

I don't understand all the complaints about gay pairings. I mean, come on now. Out of all the official pairings and couples, how many are gay? None. Out of, oh, around twenty of so characters, how many have even mentioned that they might not be straight? Only one(two, if we count Xander).
So now there's the possibility that MAYBE Jyrras will end up with another guy, and it's suddenly cliche and overdone? And the only reason for this is because Amber's a chick?
Come on, now.

MaskedRetriever

Quote from: Zina on March 09, 2007, 02:20:56 AM
I don't understand all the complaints about gay pairings. I mean, come on now. Out of all the official pairings and couples, how many are gay? None. Out of, oh, around twenty of so characters, how many have even mentioned that they might not be straight? Only one(two, if we count Xander).
So now there's the possibility that MAYBE Jyrras will end up with another guy, and it's suddenly cliche and overdone? And the only reason for this is because Amber's a chick?
Come on, now.

Sewiously.  The ratio of straight characters is still WAY over the statistical expected value.  Which is more than I can say for my comic which was pretty much wall-to-wall shonen-ai up to about a year ago  :B

Amber Williams

I have no issue if people want to ship up and down the block for whatever pairing they want.   But I'd rather people do so because of individual character reasons rather than a general broad statement. I mean cmon, its insulting to say the only reason a gay couple can exist is to fulfil a quota or some trendy reason.  It trivializes gay relationships in general and implys one cannot have a relationship other than straight because then it isn't a "real" relationship.

Tsunari

Hmmm, well jy and abel would be interesting.  Though I wonder if Abel has lots more horendous shocks in his arc coming.

MT Hazard

It may have been pointed out before but the one thing I notice is that Kira appears to have one less finger per hand than most of the other characters.

Edit: But looking back so does her daughter, some kind of hooved animal thing?
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: MT Hazard on March 09, 2007, 04:38:52 AM
It may have been pointed out before but the one thing I notice is that Kira appears to have one less finger per hand than most of the other characters.
Full demons seem to be like that.

**EDIT**
I take it back, Nicky has three fingers, but the mysterious demon teacher in the Abel's Story arc only had two, like Kria.  Dark Pegasus too, I think.

**EDIT EDIT**
You're right, Tezkat, I meant 'Nicky' not Regina...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Tezkat

Damn... has Kria gone on a diet? That suit is really slimming!  :mowcookie

Quote from: superluser on March 08, 2007, 11:24:09 PM
Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on March 08, 2007, 11:08:06 PMso you're implying that all Dan and Wildy have in common is chains, and whips?

I'm saying that I don't see any romance.  Jim seems to be saying that they're having a friendly game of BDSM.

``I say, what ho!  Shall we to our drawing room where I can make you squeal like a pig, and after that, a quick game of skittles?''

Heh... sex doesn't have to be part of a BDSM scene. I imagine there's plenty of platonic whips and chains action going on at a place like SAIA...

The Wildy x Dan dynamic doesn't really feel sexual to me, let alone romantic. It's more playful... like they never outgrew the Cowboys and Indians (um... Adventurers and Demons?) type games they'd have played as kids and now have more expensive, grown-up props. Or maybe an old master-slave relationship that's evolved beyond sex and and settled into old-married-couple territory. Granted, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dan and Wildy did some... er... experimenting when they were younger.

Quote from: Sirios Skywolf on March 09, 2007, 12:50:06 AM
Ok, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but what about Kria/Jy? Gay couples from women artists have gotten kind of old (No offense to the artist). I think Jy should end up with a female, preferably Kria. I mean, if you're going to have a mismatch (and no offense, but Jy seems alittle...Immature when it comes to relationships, let alone gay ones. I mean, the whole thing with Dan looks like misplaced affection and wierd left-overs from his relationship with his mother) Then have the really awesome one. It's not terribly odd either, seeing as his dad went for (albiet accidentally) a domineering type, and things worked out well there. And it's well known that men go after women like their mothers....

So, any takers?

Well, I for one think that Kria x Jy would be totally hawt. That said, though, I don't see it as being a very healthy relationship--Kria is just too far out of his league. That's not to say that the fans can't have fun with it. Where did I leave my sketchbook?

:kittydevious

Ahem...

I think Jy x Abel would be very therapeutic for both of them. Unlike... well... pretty much every other member of the cast, the little roo-rat has a certain vulnerability that would circumvent Abel's normally combative emotional defense mechanisms; he's really the only guy who stands a chance of getting close to Abel. Jyrras has the wit and sensitivity to draw Abel out of his shell. Likewise, Abel is one of the few who can match Jyrras's intellect, and his kindness and experience could help Jy blossom. He also represents a "safe" choice for Jyrras--they can hook up without messing up years of platonic friendship. Despite the age difference, neither character is so dominant as to overwhelm the other, and they each bring different strengths to the table. Sure, it would be a little awkward at first, but if you think on it a little, it's the only pairing that really makes sense.

:kittylove

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 09, 2007, 04:40:10 AM
Quote from: MT Hazard on March 09, 2007, 04:38:52 AM
Full demons seem to be like that.

Nope... only those based on hooved animals have fewer fingers (and this seems to apply to beings as well--like the deer guy that Jyrras beat up). Demons like Nicky have the normal number of digits.
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

devilsislegrl

Some other creatures have fewer fingers as well, like Matilda and the other Mythos in Abel's story, but Tezkat's right, it is mostly based on it being a hoofed species.  It's just a coincidence that most of the hoofed creatures we've seen happen to be demons.

**EDIT**
Just to put in another 2 cents about Jy and his potential future, my main hope is that this will blow over and that everyone will end up where they're comfy with each other again (not that Jy won't continue to have his awkward moments, but more so that the typical madness we all love will once again ensue).  I don't see Lorenda leaving or even becoming less of an input by leaving Lost Lake.  I think she'll be the one (either her or Abel) protecting Jy from Kria.  And I don't really think Jy and Wildy would make a good couple, i think they're too much of an almost sibling relationship.  I don't really see Wildy hooking up with anyone really...

Zedd

And do you know what Tez...You remind me of my brother but so more open minded. Widely open..Like plenty of room for me to live in.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on March 09, 2007, 04:51:28 AM
Quote from: superluser on March 08, 2007, 11:24:09 PM
``I say, what ho!  Shall we to our drawing room where I can make you squeal like a pig, and after that, a quick game of skittles?''

Heh... sex doesn't have to be part of a BDSM scene. I imagine there's plenty of platonic whips and chains action going on at a place like SAIA...

"Shall we get together for lunch?"
"Sure, a little pain and terror sound good to you?"

.... ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

wussycat

The way things are going, it looks like Jyrras will come on to Abel and it'll turn out that Abel is hetero.

Caswin

Quote from: Sirios Skywolf on March 09, 2007, 12:50:06 AM
Ok, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but what about Kria/Jy? Gay couples from women artists have gotten kind of old (No offense to the artist). I think Jy should end up with a female, preferably Kria. I mean, if you're going to have a mismatch (and no offense, but Jy seems alittle...Immature when it comes to relationships, let alone gay ones. I mean, the whole thing with Dan looks like misplaced affection and wierd left-overs from his relationship with his mother) Then have the really awesome one. It's not terribly odd either, seeing as his dad went for (albiet accidentally) a domineering type, and things worked out well there. And it's well known that men go after women like their mothers....

So, any takers?
Yes, it's been mentioned before (as I mentioned in my earlier post).  Thing is, Jyrras has never shown any signs of liking her, and seemed more disturbed/horrified/angry/intolerant? (oh noes lifestyle intolerance :O) than anything else about her tendency to, y'know, kill innocent people.  As far as I know, Jyrras' mother never did anything like that.
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

superluser

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 09, 2007, 01:46:35 AMThat said, I wont lie in that I feel pretty insulted that because I have tits, if I ever end up with a gay couple(unless its lesbians I guess.  Cause I guess its only safe now to draw lesbians in a relationship), it will be "ho hum cliche".

To be fair, I think that the point that is being raised is that the relationships don't seem like real-life gay relationships.  They're more like idealized porcelain doll relationships, where the people involved sit around and look pretty and talk about how the other person looks pretty.  At least, I think that's what they're saying.

Of course, I wouldn't know and am not complaining, since I don't have any gay friends.  Or straight friends, for that matter.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

All your friends are bi, superluser? :-)

Stygian

...har-de-har-har... (predicted response)

Anyway, I don't completely discredit the Kria / Jy relationship. I just think that she will have to show a very great portion of her kindergarden teacher side before he warms up to her. And long before that, he might have hooked up with a hopefully bisexual Abel, seeing as they fit each other very well, as Tezkat pointed out.

Amber Williams

Quote from: superluser on March 09, 2007, 08:08:17 AM
To be fair, I think that the point that is being raised is that the relationships don't seem like real-life gay relationships.  They're more like idealized porcelain doll relationships, where the people involved sit around and look pretty and talk about how the other person looks pretty.  At least, I think that's what they're saying.

Its a valid option, but I'm not sure if it makes much sense in this case since I've never done an actual gay-relationship in the comic.  The closest, if one ignores the fact Devin never said his orientation, might have been Devin and Xander...but they might have been for all intents and purposes just a team duo who mock-bickered a lot.

To me, what I am personaly hearing being said, is that the main reason there are gay relationships in a comic if the author is a chick, is because they are a yaoi fangirl who is getting their squees at the idea of bishie-boys snuggling.  And I realize this because yes...there are plenty of girls out there who do that.  Which is probably why it burns since it almost feels I'm forced to be lumped into the group on principle.  Do I personally like dude/dude snugglings? I wont lie, I do.  But to imply that I'm willing to shaft over the comics storyline to put some in is an insult. 

And it sucks that a gay relationship has taken the form of "token black guy" in the webcomic world.  So much that it has jaded the audience into raising the bleh at the mere provocation.  It annoys me to no end that being gay or lesbian in a webcomic takes center stage of who someone is.  And I get the feeling that a lot of times, its because it so easy to focus on the instances where someone is apart from the standard.  Dan, Alexsi, Merlitz, Aaryanna, Azlan(with Neni), Pyroduck, Kria, Biggs, (and a lot of their parents) have all shown primarily hetero sides.  Jyrras is the first character in DMFA to actually out and admit he has an orientation that is something other than purely straight, and even then it isnt full on gay.

I have made jokes about shonen-ai in comic, heck, I even drew the wallpaper of it...but for the most part those were very tongue-in-cheek and more often than not the underlying statement was "this is funny because it reeks of fangirlism"  What makes a comic great, and Janus Bond in particular come to mind.  Both arcs were highly out-there.

And this is, keep in mind, assuming there ever is a gay relationship in DMFA.  There might not be, I dont know. It might turn out also that Dan remains single for the rest of eternity.  Who knows.  It's how the story plays itself out, and in that regard I only have a certain degree of control.(as odd as that sounds) 

I apologize if I am ranting a lot over this.  This is one of those matters that strikes close to me.  I dont like the feeling that I'm getting restricted, especially when its based on other peoples failures.  If I do a gay/lesbian relationship and it sucks full of cliche and sparkles, then by all means run me up the flagpole.  But don't typecast me here peeps.  Trust me. :<

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 09, 2007, 10:44:59 AM
Trust me. :<

Aaarrghh! Run for the hills, folks, it's about to start raining body parts!

*hides*

MaskedRetriever

If it helps any, Jyrras' orientation felt extremely natural and in-character for him and didn't strike me as at all fangirly; in fact, one of Jyrras' big problems is that his incredible cuteness tends to really wreak havoc with any attempt he might make to display machismo, and him being into dudes fits in very nicely with that continuing string of problems.

His machismo problems aren't caused by his not being straight, his not being straight is yet another blow to his machismo.

Poor Jyjy, someone should invite him bowling or fishing or something else equally manly.   :mowhappy

Roureem Egas

Quote from: MaskedRetriever on March 09, 2007, 10:56:29 AM
Poor Jyjy, someone should invite him bowling or fishing or something else equally manly.   :mowhappy

Nah. Watching the game or some action flick might be better, since bowling and fishing are dull ways to pass the time.  :P

Stygian

...Jyrras is the first character in DMFA to actually out and admit he has an orientation that is something other than purely straight, and even then it isnt full on gay.

And this is, keep in mind, assuming there ever is a gay relationship in DMFA.  There might not be, I dont know. It might turn out also that Dan remains single for the rest of eternity.  Who knows.  It's how the story plays itself out, and in that regard I only have a certain degree of control.(as odd as that sounds) 

I apologize if I am ranting a lot over this.  This is one of those matters that strikes close to me.  I dont like the feeling that I'm getting restricted, especially when its based on other peoples failures.  If I do a gay/lesbian relationship and it sucks full of cliche and sparkles, then by all means run me up the flagpole.  But don't typecast me here peeps.  Trust me. :<

Who ever said that there had to be a homosexual relationship like that? I think it would be more truthful to realize that homosexuals are, after all, a minority. It would not be entirely out there to have more characters insecure about their sexuality, but then settling in with what they're comfortable. Hell, we could even see some experimenting. And I'm not saying that because I'm a lewd bastard. Trust me. >:3

...But seriously. You have as of yet not shown any tendency to take the comic and the characters anywhere but where you think the story should lead. At least not insofar as I can see. And I am, if you excuse me, quite used to reading between the lines. The only "obvious" homosexual relationship, that between Xander and Devin, was realistic enough that it reminded me of some very close people of mine.

So, what I am saying is, you seem to have absolutely no reason to worry, sweets.

Alondro

*Charline hmphs*  I personally don't care who ends up with who, just so long as there's lots of graphic sexx0rz involving at least half a dozen people at once and the roo-rat ends up in mah belleh!   >:3

*Charles erms*  Charline does not speak for the majority of my multiple personalities.   :erk

*Alondro adds*  Indeed.   :erk  I should also add that Jyrras' confusion does make it more likely that something very bad is going to happen to him.  There are too many arrows pointed his way to avoid them all when they're set to fly.

Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

The Lurking Dragon

Considering the timing, this will sound odd, but I thought I'd weigh in. To me, Amber's always been able to provide enough plot twists that predicting the future is risky at best. Not because I think she does it to mess with us or throw the speculators into a frenzy (though I suppose that can be amusing at times.) but as she said - the storyline works out that way. Basically, I just wait and see. Personally, I don't have a lot of personal references to go by, but I don't see Jyrras as anything but single for the time being. No, I don't really think I can even see him with Abel. It just... wouldn't work IMHO. Then again I may get proved wrong as usual.  :P
"You can't see me or hear me unless I want you to."
The Lurking Dragon

ShiningShadow

Well With this whole thing with Lorenda dosen't want to hurt Jy-Jy. It was very thoughtful of her but I think she needs to really sit down and talk to Jy-Jy heart to heart.

I think the way she is doing this by moving out and telling Jy-Jy what her feelings are to him. Without really having that talk it's wrong on her part.

Anyway I wait and see what developes next on this arc.

Kenji

Quote from: Zina on March 09, 2007, 02:20:56 AM
And the only reason for this is because Amber's a chick?
Come on, now.

But it's true!  D: I swear!

velociraptured

It might turn out also that Dan remains single for the rest of eternity.

Please, say it ain't so!  :U

Seriously though, I really like where things are going with Dan and Matilda. I tend to like couples that are odd at first glance, yet somehow fit together. Matilda is just right sort of person to help Dan come to terms with his Cubi heritage, and neither of them seems to mind that the other is a distinctly different species. Plus, since she's immune to his Cubi mental/emotional powers, he can trust that her feelings for him are genuine.

Right now they have the makings of a most excellent friendship, and from what I've heard/read, the longest and strongest romantic relationships tend to be built on strong friendships. (That is to say, the strength of the friendship, not the strength of the romance, is the glue that holds the relationship together. Romance is an awesome bonus, though!)

Anyhoo, I hope my comments haven't now doomed Dan and Matilda...   :erk:doh ;)

Btw, if they got married would their kids be Mythocubi?  :mowtongue

llearch n'n'daCorna

Of course not.

Dan and Matilda's children would be Cubic Myths. or Mythcubios...

Kenji

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 09, 2007, 01:52:12 PM
Of course not.

Dan and Matilda's children would be Cubic Myths. or Mythcubios...

Nonsense.. cubi+mythos would obviously bring forth a newer version of a Cthulhu. The tentacles + the extra limbs of the mythos, combine the body shapes. Yup. New Cthulhu.

Tapewolf

**EDIT**
Attribution: Taken from Gildedtongue's avatar (as drawn by Amber) the last time this discussion came up :P

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jack McSlay

now I wonder if Kria actually means to hurt Jy, or if she's blaffing and actually intends to flirt him
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

ShiningShadow

Quote from: Jack McSlay on March 09, 2007, 02:27:21 PM
now I wonder if Kria actually means to hurt Jy, or if she's blaffing and actually intends to flirt him

No way hmmmmmmmmmm she does find Jy-Jy in her own words *So Frigging Hot* hmmmmmm I could imagine the comedic rainfall we will get in that arc and the fans eating it up.