Amber vs Snowdrift (Round 1)

Started by Amber Williams, March 03, 2007, 07:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

Well...got back from Best Buy...it was nasty weather. And I had my first auto-accident of sorts.  On the plus side, it was just me versus a snowdrift and I won.  The downside is the lower part of my front bumper has officially seen better days.  Luckily though it seems completly aesthetic and I was able to drive away.

[event notes]
Basically what happened was I was already aware that my car was fishtailing so I was going pretty slow. But when I took a corner to go down a 1 way street, my car decided to just keep going into a circle.  Maybe it was luck, but my car managed to avoid the parked car and instead opted for the snow-drift and we stopped with a semi-unglorious *whump*.  My friend riding with me went out to check and I pulled out a little. Also luckily since this was a one-way street and not that crowded, there was no worry of other cars doinking me.

Pulled out, drove home (very carefully) and checked damages.

[damages]
My car normally has these wierd little under-car lights that have never worked...and all things considered likely wont work again. I think they along with my front bumper took all the shock as one is now hanging and the other is pushed back.  My bumper (the under part) does have a bit of a dent in it and maybe a slight crack...hard to tell at this time.  Nothing important seems to be busted though I might be taking my car in to make sure the bumper isnt pressed against anything major.  All in all it looks to be purely aesthetic...so I can't complain too much.

Other than being a bit "yeep", I am fine as well as my friend.  In terms of snow-accidents, I think I got off on the light end and I was pretty lucky.

Now if you don't mind, I'm going to hide in my apartment and not drive till May.  :U

TheGreyRonin

Well, the important thing is that you're all right, Amber. Sorry to hear about the damage to your car, though.

llearch n'n'daCorna

yeep.

Glad to hear you're ok - no whiplash or anything - and that the car didn't meet up with anyone else.

... does anyone else have images of that news post about car ping-pong that someone linked on youtube a few weeks back?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Distracting

Amber Williams: Snowdrift Slayer

Anyway, I think we're all glad that you're okay. Luckily you got out easily...it's a little harder where I am...especially if you're on a lake. I'm glad your car's okay too.

xHaZxMaTx

Zedd

Least you didnt do a stunt like these fools did Can you say stupid?

thegayhare

Comming in 2007 Amber Williams stars in Fast and the Furious Canadian Drift

The Lurking Dragon

"You can't see me or hear me unless I want you to."
The Lurking Dragon

llearch n'n'daCorna

Referencing, rather than seeking. I still wince when watching that, thinking of the property damage.

Heck, in that situation, I think I'd put on the handbrake, get out, and push....

Tapewolf

Not nice.  Still, at least you're OK and the car isn't written off.
**EDIT**
Presumably the insurance will cover what damage did occur?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Chaos

From What's been said, I wouldn't. The damages seem minor, and might not be worth the insurence with the rate hike, and a premium. You do insurance for damages mostly over $400.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 04, 2007, 06:37:39 AM
Not nice.  Still, at least you're OK and the car isn't written off.
**EDIT**
Presumably the insurance will cover what damage did occur?

that might fall below the minimum cover bracket, or it might not be worth the hikes in the insurance premium.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

TheDXM

Not to pry, but: What make and model do you drive exactly?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Chaos on March 04, 2007, 08:48:57 AM
From What's been said, I wouldn't. The damages seem minor, and might not be worth the insurence with the rate hike, and a premium. You do insurance for damages mostly over $400.
Perhaps it's just me and where I am, but I don't recall hearing of a car repair under $600  >:3
(Thank goodness I don't drive...)

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 04, 2007, 04:49:55 PMPerhaps it's just me and where I am, but I don't recall hearing of a car repair under $600  >:3

Well, if it's just the bumper, then they may just need to replace that.  I don't know what Amber's driving, but if it's not a molded bumper, the whole operation may simply cost ~$200 and the price of a few six-packs to attract handyman friends.

Of course, if it is one of those molded bumpers with the covers and all that, then you're looking at a lot more.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on March 04, 2007, 05:02:36 PM
Of course, if it is one of those molded bumpers with the covers and all that, then you're looking at a lot more.

... like the one on the car in the youtube Zedd linked?

xHaZxMaTx

Boy that would suck is Amber drove a Carrera GT.  The front bumper alone costs like $10,000.

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 04, 2007, 05:08:46 PM
Quote from: superluser on March 04, 2007, 05:02:36 PMOf course, if it is one of those molded bumpers with the covers and all that, then you're looking at a lot more.
... like the one on the car in the youtube Zedd linked?

Like the one on the car, but unlike the one on the truck.  Technically, the thing that costs a bunch of money and takes expert labor to replace is the bumper cover, not the bumper, but I don't want to get into those sorts of distinctions.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Amber Williams

Well if anyone is curious, I drive a 95 Geo Tracker (or at least thats what I think its called)

Based on previous auto-repair experiences, I admit I've been pretty lucky in terms of it not usually being something major and super-expensive, even in times when I had to replace something like the entire windshield.

Right now the main concern is if the damage is only pure aesthetic or if something is at possible risk.  And that will likely be what I look into before anything.

As for insurance, I admit I am not 100% sure how my insurance would handle since I'm in, all things considered, another country and I haven't fully gotten my insurance switched over to the Canadian alternative.  And really I'm not so tight-up that I need my insurance to cover me donking a snowdrift if its not mega damage. I'd rather save my insurance for real emergancies that involve roadside assistance or other people's vehicles.

Eibborn

Haw haw haw! Welcome to Canada, yo! XD

Don't worry, you get used to it. Eventually, sliding is just another part of driving.
I've always been told to pump the brake petal when sliding, not apply gentle pressure. The main thing, though, is to make sure that your brakes don't lock. I'm sure you know this already, though... Hum. Well, I'm glad that there were no major damages all around.
/kicks the internet over

Jim Halisstrad

Why round one?  Is there a tournament of snow drift fighting?  Do I need to set my watch to Tokyo time?

Glad you're ok of course.  I'm more worried about driving in rain myself then in snow, but then again I'm weird.

Alondro

Erf, that reminds me of the fun I had recently.  We had an ice storm a couple weeks ago in NJ.  I took the bus home, thankfully.  My car was frozen into the parking lot and coated so heavily I couldn't have gotten the ice off for an hour... and as it was 12 degrees F, and the winds were around 30 mph, I decided it wasn't worth trying.  I just waited until it thawed in the sun the next day when the wind died down. 

Winter is stupid.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif