Cybernations

Started by llearch n'n'daCorna, February 18, 2007, 07:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcalane

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 07, 2007, 05:14:22 AMOn that basis, I'm going to start saving up for the Tycador and Arcatech, and Tez, if you want to take the next two - they're around 900 strength, whereas T&A are around 600...

Actually I'm nearly to 800 Nation Strength. :P

I just tried to pull up data on one of the nations who attacked us. "This nation no longer exists." :B

Tezkat

Quote from: Aiyno Wolf on April 07, 2007, 03:05:08 AM
I had a great event yesterdday:

option one: +2 happiness -10 income
option two: -2 happiness +10 income
when not responding bonus: +2 happiness

.... :B dur I choose!

1 Happiness = $2 Income

So...

Option 1: -$6 Income
Option 2: +$6 Income
No Option: +$4 Income

Option 2 is the best.  :mowcookie

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 07, 2007, 05:14:22 AM
On that basis, I'm going to start saving up for the Tycador and Arcatech, and Tez, if you want to take the next two - they're around 900 strength, whereas T&A are around 600... I figure if we put together an aid package of ~400k each, that should create enough of a boost, you think? It'll take me all week to get each one, but hey... I figure, if you set aid at 300, and I set aid at 400, they should get enough of a boost to bring them into line, more or less.

Given the length of time it will take us to save up for those kinds of sums, it might be better to stagger it. The sooner they get the cash, the sooner they can grow big on their own.

Alright, I'll leave Sheridan and Aiyno in your hands. Barring more bad events, I should have enough to toss Jim and Valynth $200k each on Wednesday. That's probably better than me saving until next week to make up $300k. I figure they must net something in the $25k/day range, so it's already more than a week's income in one shot. So, guys... expect the Easter Bunny Kitty to leave you something on Wednesday.
:kittycool

Also, as I discovered early, when expecting a nice aid package, it's best to build up enough of a cash reserve to cover several days of bills and then withhold taxes until you receive it. That way, the aid is retroactive to the day you learn you're getting it, rather than the day on which you receive it.  :3

In other words: Withhold taxes and only pay bills until the aid goes through, spend all of the initial aid on infra, collect taxes all those withheld taxes with your new and improved pop count, and then enjoy the second growth spurt. (And save the last $50k or so to bump tech above 15 at the end.) That should provide a decent boost.

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Jim Halisstrad

Quote from: Tezkat on April 07, 2007, 02:13:32 PM

Alright, I'll leave Sheridan and Aiyno in your hands. Barring more bad events, I should have enough to toss Jim and Valynth $200k each on Wednesday. That's probably better than me saving until next week to make up $300k. I figure they must net something in the $25k/day range, so it's already more than a week's income in one shot. So, guys... expect the Easter Bunny Kitty to leave you something on Wednesday.

Also, as I discovered early, when expecting a nice aid package, it's best to build up enough of a cash reserve to cover several days of bills and then withhold taxes until you receive it. That way, the aid is retroactive to the day you learn you're getting it, rather than the day on which you receive it.  :3

In other words: Withhold taxes and only pay bills until the aid goes through, spend all of the initial aid on infra, collect taxes all those withheld taxes with your new and improved pop count, and then enjoy the second growth spurt. (And save the last $50k or so to bump tech above 15 at the end.) That should provide a decent boost.

:o  Hot diggity damn  *dances*
I'll try not to do anything that gets my nation smeared all over the place before Wednesday.
And yeah.... I make about 26k every day.

Sirios Skywolf

Yeah, I'm at 33,000 every day, but in peacetime it's more like 50,000.

So, how goes the DMFA alliance? \m/ is currently doing a heck of alot of warz on people, GATO and WAPA in particular. I've gotten a great deal of experience in warfare from this, and the free tech is nice too.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I pulled in 94k today. Of course, I've got 28k/day of bills, but even so... I should be able to get 300k for Tycador on Thursday, and another 300 for Arcatech next tuesday.

Alternatively, 200 on wednesday and saturday, respectively. I need more stadiums, I think. :-/ 'course, I need more people first...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tezkat

My nation hasn't had any more bombings or earthquakes this week, so I'm on track to send out my aid packages after update tonight.  :3

In other news, it looks like the cheat mode is back up...

Jim Halisstrad

Awesome!  Thank you for the boost Tezkat!  Now if our alliance gets into a rumble I should be able to help out.
Hopefully I spent the money wisely.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Speaking of the cheat mode... did anyone want me to cheat on their behalf?

Valynth

Alright, Thanks to Tez's very generous donation to my nation, I now have my first improvement (stadium) and I have enough tech to buy cruise missles.  I also bought a lot of infrastructure, nearly enough to get a second improvement and by my calculations I'll be getting around the 30,000's range in taxes collected per day after bills.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Arcalane

Alright, up to 15 Tech on the dot now. :P

Have 1k soldiers to 1.5k civvies.

Jim Halisstrad

I think now I'm going to save up for my first improvement.  Any suggestions?
Although Right now I'm leaning towards school, but then again I'm biased :p

Tezkat

Sweet! Now Aiyno is the only one not yet missile-ready. Our alliance certainly looks a lot more battle-ready than it did a few days ago.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 11, 2007, 06:02:17 AM

You're giving out free monies?  :mowdizzy

Quote from: Jim Halisstrad on April 12, 2007, 01:11:22 AM
I think now I'm going to save up for my first improvement.  Any suggestions?
Although Right now I'm leaning towards school, but then again I'm biased :p

Naw... you get much more bang for your buck from either a stadium or a bank. (Stadium if your tax revenue/citizen is under $24, otherwise bank.) Even schools + universities gives you less than just banks unless you plan on buying/trading a lot of tech. Actually, you get the most benefit from a harbour, but that's contingent on being able to find good trades.

The scarce resource with respect to improvements is not money; it's people. You want to make the most of every 1000 pop, because you don't cross that milestone very often. The cheap improvements are mostly worthless until the endgame when you don't have anything better to build.

The guide on the CN forums isn't a bad read if you're looking for tips, although it's mostly for carebears and doesn't tell you anything about how to gear your nation up for battles.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Tezkat on April 12, 2007, 01:26:53 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 11, 2007, 06:02:17 AM

You're giving out free monies?  :mowdizzy

erm. a little, yes. Nobody seems to want any, though...

Tezkat

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 12, 2007, 03:35:17 AM
erm. a little, yes. Nobody seems to want any, though...

Hmm... well... it is a bit awkward asking friends for money for a web game... :animesweat

Arcalane

I have only three words for this situation.

j00 gib nao

:B

llearch n'n'daCorna

Noted. OTOH, I'd prefer to wait until a) closer to payday, and b) everyone else has a chance to accept...

Easier, and cheaper, to do one donation than 3 or 4, no?

Arcalane

Well, look at it this way; it means the recipient can recieve their boost practically instantly, whereas right now I'd have to wait until around this time next week. Also means you can wait a little longer to send more to Aiyno, or whatever.

I'm making about 27k a day in taxes and paying roughly 6k in bills.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Aiyno already has had his boost.

Methinks we kinda need to boost harder, or something... :-/

Tezkat

Quote from: Tezkat on April 12, 2007, 02:55:16 PM
Hmm... well... it is a bit awkward asking friends for money for a web game... :animesweat
Quote from: Sheridan on April 12, 2007, 03:13:05 PM
I have only three words for this situation.

j00 gib nao

I stand corrected, apparently... :animesweat

If we're going to use the cheat mode as a way of boosting the entire alliance, it might be most effective to concentrate it on the top nations (who can then funnel the bonus down to the smaller nations more efficiently as foreign aid).

llearch n'n'daCorna

Given the bonus includes large areas of land (comparatively), it's somewhat difficult to transfer that...

Tezkat

Uh... you send land the same way you send infra.  :mowtongue

Money = Land/Infra
Foreign Aid = Money
Foreign Aid = Land/Infra
:mowcookie

Land is pretty cheap, not to mention of dubious value. After the first 15 points, tech honestly isn't that useful, either, at least outside of war (or in very large quantities).

Anyway, my comment related to simple economies of scale:

Adding a $20 donation to my nation in its current state would result in a net income of around $130k/day after bills. With only one day's worth of my income, Sheridan could purchase the equivalent of a $5 donation (not counting tech, which can go straight through). Another day or two and I'd have enough for him to buy a $10 donation worth of stuff. In less than a week, I could drop a $15 donation worth of aid on him. The $20 donation mark doubles the spoils (over $1.5 mil worth of cash, land, and infra for a nation starting at Sheridan's size, plus maybe $400k worth of tech), so it's not very practical to try to match that. Still, using the cheat mode to boost the biggest guys is almost like getting twice the value for your donation dollars.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... that's still not saying yes or no, for your nation. I'm not forcing it on anyone. :-p

Valynth

I could use a bit of donating power, but it's just awkward asking for stuff that actually costs real money.  I mean, it's just kinda putting more of a value on the actions you do with said value...  I can't take the comitment!  *jumps out of a window in a crazed fashion.*

Anyway, I'm saving for my next improvement right now.  I'm probably gonna get the harbor, but the bank is very tempting since I have an ultra-strong economy (each citizen takes home 60+ dollars, at 28% tax).
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.

Sirios Skywolf

lawl, you can always send me money.

Seriously though, how are things going here? I'm enjoying \m/, I do want to keep friendly here, so if I can help, I will.

Kasarn

Nothing is happening; we're all just sitting in NationStates mode :E

For anybody who wants to join us in our doing nothing, CN registrations are back up...

Arcalane

Quote from: Kasarn on April 18, 2007, 02:01:40 AM
Nothing is happening; we're all just sitting in NationStates mode :E

For anybody who wants to join us in our doing nothing, CN registrations are back up...

:U

I'm up to 2,000 people and accumulating funds for a second Improvement. I already have a Clinic, so...

Suggestions?

Kasarn

Unless you have something in mind, take your pick from
Harbor
Bank (if your tax income is above $24 per person)
Stadium (if your tax income is below $24 per person)
Factory

The discount from a Factory is larger then the amount you would get from a Bank/Stadium but the Factory has little to no effect on days when you aren't buying any infrastructure.

Valynth

Waho!  As one +3 happiness event fades away, another takes its place.

I'm a lucky, lucky man.  Of course, I won't hold it against you guys if you start swearing at me.  I'd probably do the same if I were you.

EDIT: 

In the bad news category, it appears my sugar-wine trade is about to be cut due to his inactivity.

Tezkat

Quote from: Valynth on April 18, 2007, 03:44:13 AM
EDIT: 

In the bad news category, it appears my sugar-wine trade is about to be cut due to his inactivity.

Hmm... yeah... my Coal trader got crushed in a war a few weeks back and is now two days away from deletion. I have Steel and Automobiles riding on that resource--bummer. Interestingly, my Legion and GATO trading partners are still going strong despite a pounding in GW3.

On the bright side, I suppose it's an opportunity to look for better trades... :animesweat

Valynth

true, and now I have a gold-aluminum trade that gets me microchips.  I'm tempted to cancel my cattle-fish trade in favor of getting a cattle-marble one so I can get construction though, but the guy I'm trading with is legion and it might help to stay on good terms with 'em.