Woah, long time, no see.

Started by Kenji, January 27, 2007, 11:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenji

Seems someone hasn't been completely forgotten. With this new screen shot, that could mean that in the next 8 years, it just might get released!

Nikki

OMFG!!!

YAY!!!

I remember playing Duke Nukem with my dad when i was...what, 3!!!!

GOD HOW I HAVE LONGED FOR THIS!!

Much thanks to Keaton and Haz for my sig, and King Of Hearts for my avatar. ILU guys <3

Darkmoon

It's been vaporware for as long as the term vaporware has existed. I wouldn't start getting really excited about this game until it goes gold. This game is cursed, and any number of things can happen to it before it makes it into the hands of fans.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Kenji

Quote from: Darkmoon on January 27, 2007, 12:37:04 PM
It's been vaporware for as long as the term vaporware has existed. I wouldn't start getting really excited about this game until it goes gold. This game is cursed, and any number of things can happen to it before it makes it into the hands of fans.

Yes, hence the "in the next 8 years" comment. :3

Darkmoon

Indeed. But even THAT needs to be tempered. There is a part of me that would be amazed if the next Duke Nukem was released this century.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Tapewolf

How long has it been in development?  I can't remember now.
Prey is something like 11 years old, although it was released in the end.
To be honest I don't understand how DNF has survived as a project when the Descent team barely managed to release before they went broke :B

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Aridas

Perhaps they're not actually doing anything?

Sid

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 27, 2007, 01:59:36 PM
How long has it been in development?  I can't remember now.

Here's a helpful site that gives information on timing and then goes on to list what has happened in that time (especially video game releases): http://duke.a-13.net/

It really puts things into perspective xD

EDIT: Odd, the site also listed the date of the first announcement when I last checked it... ah well, Wikipedia has the info: "Duke Nukem Forever was officially announced on April 27, 1997". Darkmoon? I assume you will put the News to good use in a few months? The tenth anniversary of DNF-development should be celebrated ;)
:boogie

Xuzaf D

Arcalane

"Doomed to Never Finish".

On the subject of vaporware, STALKER is gearing up for release soon, I believe, and was first announced in 2001.

TheGreyRonin

I am? Oh, sorry, misread that....*grins*

Nimrods Son

Rondo of Blood is due for a rerelease on PSP. I think that matches Duke Nukem's status in this aspect. :mowmeep

EvilIguana966

I myself am extremely curious as to how 3d Realms has managed to stay in business all this time.  As far as I can tell, the last game they made was Duke 3d.  There were a couple Duke IP based games made by 3rd parties over the last decade, and Prey was their IP, but it too was developed by a 3rd party.  In other words, they, as a development house, have made exactly nothing for 10 years.  If they truly had a full development team of the size and competence needed to put out a modern action title, they would have so far wasted 10s of millions of dollars.  Maybe their problem is that they have been trying to make Duke 4 with a team the size of the one that made Duke 3, it would explain why they can't seem to keep up with the pace of technology.  Truly, I have no clue, but they have gone far beyond the point of have the benefit of the doubt. 

Aridas

yeah, just payne and duke. I don't know what's going on here...